Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2021928 - 01/27/13 12:21 AM Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old
TakomaRose Offline

Some good things and some bad -- he's working on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkFs_zzkA8

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2022444 - 01/27/13 09:41 PM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: TakomaRose]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I certainly agree with that. His dynamics and overall expression seem to be there. As he's working on it, I would try to get him to "settle" a little more. When he tends to flub notes, he seems to be rushing through the beat. You can hear this quite well in the first 7 seconds, in the 5th-7th measures especially. He misses the note on the 2nd half of the 2nd beat, in favor of rushing into the grace notes that lead into the next downbeat.

I think he's on his way to getting this one under his belt, though, and the better he settles into it, the better this is going to sound. smile

#2026072 - 02/02/13 10:07 PM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: Derulux]
TakomaRose Offline

Thanks for the advice last week, Derulux. Things are more settled and slower now. This recording is still missing those chords you mentioned but he's since corrected the problem. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVFRGez5iQ

#2034136 - 02/16/13 07:30 AM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: TakomaRose]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Anytime! You certainly have a gifted and talented youngster on your hands. smile

First thing I noticed is that this is remarkably better. Not just a little better, but incredibly better. He really took his time in this version, and you can hear him settle into the notes much better than the first take. Very promising for such a youngster. So, please keep in mind that I'm really nit-picking because I think he can take the performance from "good for a 7 year old" to "good for anybody" and beyond.

Second thing I noticed is that his hand can't quite reach an octave yet! haha I didn't even notice that in the first take. That made me start looking at fingering a little bit. When he plays thirds, he uses 13 for every third. Is that because his hand is small, or because he hasn't developed the technique yet to use 24, 35, and other combinations? If the hand is small, nothing can be done until he grows a bit. But if he can reach without straining, taking a look at some other combinations will help improve his technique.

At the start of the C section, it is especially noticable that he does not give the same dynamic value to every note. I don't really think he mashes notes here, more that he doesn't play every note as clearly as possible. Some don't sound loud enough to be heard over the other notes, so it sounds a little mashed. You can hear and see his hand in action at 1:18. Looks a little mashed, but not terribly so. A little slow practice here might not hurt.. should be easily correctable, given the miles and miles he's taken the piece since the first listen.

One last comment for this recording.. watch his right hand pinky. He's developing what I facetiously call "flying pinky syndrome." It's usually the result of a technique issue between the 3rd and 4th fingers, but see if you can get him to keep the pinky down without delving too deeply into technique or philosophy. If it's correctable that way, great. He'll be much better off down the road.

I'm looking forward to more good things.. please keep posting and updating progress and new pieces. I think we're watching the early development of a very talented youngster. Thank you for sharing! smile

#2039698 - 02/26/13 03:32 PM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: Derulux]
pianoSD Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Derulux
... As he's working on it, I would try to get him to "settle" a little more. When he tends to flub notes, he seems to be rushing through the beat.

I agree with this assessment. The tempo is rushed when he makes errors. Perhaps use a metronome to fix.

All in all, great stuff! wow

#2050105 - 03/18/13 08:00 AM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: TakomaRose]
maestro57 Offline

Loc: Canada
Very good! At seven years of age, I was picking my nose and watching The Simpsons. I wish I was as talented at seven. Keep up the great playing, mate!

#2050554 - 03/18/13 11:58 PM Re: Rondo alla turca practice - 7 yr old [Re: TakomaRose]
Spacetone Offline

Loc: CA
Love it! He's going to be a great player later on! Keep nurturing!

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (anotherscott, AlanSanDiego, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1310 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309199 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission