Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2050778 - 03/19/13 11:43 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great new, Congrats!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2050794 - 03/19/13 12:17 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Congratulations! It sounds like a nice piece.

I wish the piano had been tuned better in the recording. I am grateful that I got sucked into the jazz world in my tuning career, which forced me to learn to tune the top octaves well.

#2050817 - 03/19/13 12:57 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wonderful stories, Nikolas! All of them were very effective. Congratulations to you!

#2050836 - 03/19/13 01:27 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congratulations!

Will there be a 2 piano version?

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2050856 - 03/19/13 01:51 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Congratulations Nikolas. I feel like I know a star. I definitely heard some Bartok and Satie in those 7 mvts.
The piano sounded great [ as did the pianists]. I loved the split screen and the blurred visual effects.

Wonderful.

rada

#2050880 - 03/19/13 02:28 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Thank you all!

To answer your questions:

1. I don't particularly like "just" showing two pianists playing a piece (while I see the value for other pianists, teachers, musicians, composers, etc), so at least I added some effects which in my composing-oriented mind seemed cool! As I've heard from others, the videos fit the music very well (which goes to show how my mind is wired to the music), but I've no idea how technically correct they are as far as filming if concerned...

2. Hakki: To be honest, I don't see a reason for a 2 piano rearrangement. I'd prefer to work on new works instead... After all I do think that as it stands they sound very very rich and full, so not sure I see the point either...

3. BDB: It was rather well tuned (*ahem*), but there was 1 of the 3 strings in a high Ab that kept bugging me. Especially since we used the una corda pedal, and as such it was the only string hitting... Very audible in "A rather innocent Incubus".

4. Farmgirl: I already feel that the scores are a tiny bit expensive for the American market, but it's impossible to lower them any further, since I'm in Greece. Still I'm very much in favor of offering as much as possible, especially when contemporary music is concerned (if you think about it this is why Editions Musica Ferrum was created in the first place), so take your time; the prices can go down, but not up! wink

#2050883 - 03/19/13 02:31 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Congrats, Nikolas!!! Amazing!

I really enjoyed those of your "Piano Stories" that I listened to already. Hopefully we (i.e. the world of piano) also may expect some more solo piano pieces from you in the future! smile

#2050887 - 03/19/13 02:39 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

pianovirus: I serious hope so myself! wink I am working on several ideas already, but nothing I can share with you (the public) right now.

BTW, I will be in Frankfurt for the Messe on April 10th - 12th. If you're around (not sure how far is Stuttgart) perhaps we can meet for a beer or... a beer? smile

#2050888 - 03/19/13 02:42 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Perhaps I'll just get RNCM library to order it in for me :P

#2050891 - 03/19/13 02:46 PM Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Tanti complementi, Nicolas!

This is a very well-deserved recognition, proving that, at least in Europe, it still requires talent, knowledge, talent, skill, talent, long-term dedication, and (did I mention?) talent to succeed.

I very much enjoyed the few sections that you posted previously, but my new favorite is Meteor!

I would like to take credit for some of this, asserting that you benefited from the scores I sent you, BUT I know they arrived long after this was written!

Unbelieveable writing, great playing, and (I have to admit) a nice video as well. By all means, let us know the venue and date of the USA and Canadian performances. (CasInItaly, Landorrano, and I may also be interested in the performance in Italy.)

Best wishes!
Ed

#2050894 - 03/19/13 02:54 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

debrucey: If you do get around asking them to order it for you, you might as well propose that they order everything! wink That's be much better, no? :P

(But honestly, if I may say so myself, this IS a beautiful score with Pieros illustration, so it's a score worth owning... *ahem*)...

Ed: Gracia mon ami!

Nice video, huh? I'm so glad that I'm getting good at this! wink But yes, I will let you know about any performances I hear about (and in general, not just this work, since more performances are coming in... The one that I DO know about is one in Arlington, TX, in July the 13th... But more to come later on (trying to find a way to come, so... I'll pass through NYC for sure! :))

#2050910 - 03/19/13 03:06 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Yeh, I'll definitely do that. They have never rejected a request for purchase so far.

#2050915 - 03/19/13 03:09 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: debrucey]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
Yeh, I'll definitely do that. They have never rejected a request for purchase so far.
Really?!?! That's surprising...

In any case I'd be obliged if you could get me in touch and I'll deal with the rest... Cause I don't actually have too much access to uni libraries right now (just a couple that I've used in the past and know the people in the inside).

BTW, to all:

Someone in the teachers forum said that it would be a good idea to have sample pages of the scores.

If you visit the link of the work here: http://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=47 and click on 'preview' there's five (5) pages for preview purposes.

Just in case it's not clear... smile

Thanks everyone!

#2050998 - 03/19/13 05:27 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Nicholas, that's wonderful news! Your postings show how much your music means to you so you must be filled with joy! What a great way to have your talent validated! Kudos to you!

Deborah

#2051001 - 03/19/13 05:28 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Congratulations! Very cool!

#2051076 - 03/19/13 10:07 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
RachelEDNC Offline

Congratulations!!!! What a well deserved honor!!!!!!!!!!

#2051087 - 03/19/13 10:47 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Congratulations Nikolas! You're awesome!

I came across these videos from another direction, without knowing about this thread/award, and thought they were some of the best new music I'd heard in a long time.

neglected piano blog

#2051094 - 03/19/13 11:10 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Nikolas that's just fantastic! Great news.

Here's to many more accolades to come, and performances too! smile

www.josephkubera.com

#2051127 - 03/20/13 12:30 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Nikolas, hearty congratulations! I listened to the entire recording and thoroughly enjoyed all of it. I'm active in a local pianists' group that includes some very talented musicians, and I'm thinking about buying the score and persuading one of my colleagues to perform it with me.

I live within a 30 minute drive from Arlington, Tx, and I'd love to attend that upcoming performance. Could you either post the details here or PM me.

Again, congratulations!
Chris

#2051129 - 03/20/13 12:34 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you all.

Deborah: I'm a tiny bit ashamed to say that it feels exactly that: Having my music validated. It's one thing for someone to like your music, another for someone to buy a score, another for someone to performed, and a whole different level for a jury to decide your work is the best! smile So... YAY! laugh

tangleweeds: Fluttered! Thank you so much. I'm not sure from where you've reached the video(s) but I'm glad you did. It means that something is working around and pointing there eventually...

Chris: Sure thing. Once I know a few more details I'll let everyone know about the Arlington, TX thing... And any other to come. About the score: I will admit that 1-5 are not too difficult or damning in technical terms. They are a bit challenging on musical terms. And they are rather tonal. But 6-7 are quite a bit more difficult in every account. Still I'd love to see other takes for this music. It's 'classical music' and as such deserves to be played live, rather than on youtube, or an mp3, or something like that... smile

Thank you, once more, all! smile

#2051134 - 03/20/13 12:59 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Congratulations! You must be on top of the world.

#2051140 - 03/20/13 01:43 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
This is great news. Thanks for sharing it. The recognition is well deserved.
Thanks for the performance video too. The scrolling transparent score is a nice touch. My favorite among the movements is the sparrow.

#2051195 - 03/20/13 05:36 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Lemon Pledge Offline

Congratulations!

#2051201 - 03/20/13 06:04 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Good on you Nikolas. I hope this opens the gates to further performances and recognition.

#2051250 - 03/20/13 09:27 AM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Hi Nikolas,

Sorry I missed this until now. A very hearty congratulations! Enjoy the moment, you certainly deserve it. The music is awesome (I'm in Meteor fight now), a thoroughly enjoyable listening experience. Best wishes to you for continued success.

#2051324 - 03/20/13 12:09 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Nikolas -

I just finished listening to the entire video. Fantastic !!! You and Ms. Akrivou are a solid team. The music is extremely engaging (loved movements 5 and 7 in particular). The video effects are effective (yes, you are getting good at that), and the overall recording quality is excellent !!

Easy to see why you won first prize !!!! Good to know that the work will be getting some exposure in both Europe and the US. It deserves to heard !!!!

CONGRATULATIONS thumb thumb thumb thumb

#2051455 - 03/20/13 04:34 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Thank all once more!

Steve: Especially thanks for your comments, since I really appreciate you as a composer! smile

carey: Thanks bud! ^_^ 5 and 7, huh? It's quite interesting that every movement captures some people from the audience, so there's no 'lost' or 'weak' movement, which surprises me... But while studying them I did come to realize exactly that: They all work equally well (ok... mumbling about my own works... brrr...).

And I loved working with the video. Hope to be doing more in the (not so near) future... wink

#2051482 - 03/20/13 05:31 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I loved 3, 5 and 7 among all the movements. I think it will be fun to play this next year in the 2nd annual Arizona piano party next year. Sort of like an Arizona premiere of the acclaimed work of the young composer Nikoras. I will have to see the most approacheable one for me. But I do know at least 3 people who can sight read very well. I hope others like this idea. It will be fun. If this thing happens, I will invite you via the Skype (sorry, I don't have enough money to get your airfare).
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2051485 - 03/20/13 05:34 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

that would be AWESOME farmgilr...

I can tell you straight away that 6 and 7 are the harder (7 for primo, 6 for secondo I think). As they progress the difficulty gets further up... 3 is rather approachable, but not too easy either...

They are catchy, aren't they? smile

and skype would be HUGE fun, if I can't make it over... But never say never as they say... smile

#2051553 - 03/20/13 08:05 PM Re: Won 1st prize in an International Composittion Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, Nikolas!! wow That's a tremendous accomplishment. I enjoyed listening to the pieces... jaunty and bold!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, angga888, AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1899 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75521 Members
42 Forums
156166 Topics
2293381 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help! Hoping for advice regarding Yamaha purchase
by Lady
07/25/14 06:22 PM
Piano Practice Technique - Only Slow?
by JoeHom
07/25/14 05:53 PM
Wow, early Arrau!
by Ian_G
07/25/14 05:02 PM
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
07/25/14 04:37 PM
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
07/25/14 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission