2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
I'm trying to improve my over dampers but it's weird. Even damping the 3 strings with my finger is not totally effective. There's a resonance that sings on throughout the piano. Even quickly damping all the strings with my hand it's still there. What is it kind folks?

Laissez tomber les mains
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
To me, all overdampers do that. Poor damper condition or adjustment in general won't help, but the design also doesn't allow efficient damping as I am sure you are well aware. All the slightly leaking strings combine to create a wash of sound. Sometimes the action , or just the damper assembly, is not pushed up far enough to the strings. Just how bad is it? Can you post an example?

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie
Just how bad is it? Can you post an example?
I just happen to have posted this at the ABF: https://www.box.com/s/bkltozppwlqbun4hmnfw I've had a PM which explains the middle of the strings still vibrate even though I've stopped the top of the string with my finger.

Laissez tomber les mains
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds like a birdcage piano. These pianos were designed to have the non fully damped "old Timey", sound. You will not get modern piano style damping on these pianos. One must either like the sound or move on to a different piano.

Jim Ialeggio

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Could it be that it is the sympathetic vibration of the 'birdcage' damper wires themselves? Just a thought.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The physics of vibrations on struck strings are such that-the ideal place to damp a struck string is the same place it was struck. Over-dampers are far from the striking point-and all vertical pianos except ones made with the dampers on the opposite side of the strings from the hammers have less effective damping.

An overdamper piano does sound a little like it is in a large acoustic space and they may have used that as a selling point. Pointing out that "this piano has concert hall resonance".

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Actually the dampers are quite close to the striking point:
[Linked Image]

And as it turns out it doesn't matter where I dampen, the effect is still there. Here's a recording: https://www.box.com/s/yoqibyh22kim7itf1dew You can hear me put my thumb on after about a second. Maybe all pianos do this?

edit: I see, my under damper piano does it too, but to a much lesser extent. Conclusion? It must be the sound board and a particular Pleyel thing?

Last edited by chopin_r_us; 03/19/13 11:37 AM.

Laissez tomber les mains
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The dampers are too close to the top termination point. That does not damp the lower harmonics as well.

In addition, the piano is old. Whatever provides the force pressing the dampers against the strings is not as strong as it used to be. The dampers have undoubtedly been moved from side to side many times, so the grooves that have developed in them have not always lined up with the strings in the same way, resulting in uneven pressure on each of the strings in a unison. The ones with less pressure leak. This happens with underdampers when the action has been removed from the piano too many times, particularly with old felt that has lost its resilience.

You are never going to get new piano performance from an old, poorly designed piano.

Semipro Tech
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BDB

You are never going to get new piano performance from an old, poorly designed piano.
Now that is fighting talk! This is a Pleyel Pianino - something Chopin always had by his side! I'm not looking for new piano performance (for that I play my Geyer or Schiedmayer), I'm looking to get to it's original sound. Should I replace the dampers? Is there a 're-newing' process?

Laissez tomber les mains
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

This is a Pleyel Pianino - something Chopin always had by his side!

Maybe it belongs back at Chopin's side. laugh laugh laugh

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Here's the snippet with a good mike and as a wav: https://www.box.com/s/6c4omxleqkshm7sq2v8q

Laissez tomber les mains
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
In the picture, the dampers look a little uneven in height. Also there appears to be several mm of gap between the dampers and the hammers. Some appear to contact the strings above the termination points which would be useless. There could be more room for new and larger dampers which, when correctly adjusted, could improve damping efficiency. Also, harder than normal damper felt seems to work better in these circumstances.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You could replace them with softer less compacted felt and it looks like there even might be room to extend them slightly longer out towards the hammer. As others have mentioned, this leakage is quite common for this type of piano, especially with the dampers so close to the termination point, you might make it a bit better or similar to "new' condition with replacement and possibly some better positioning/fitting to the strings.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

And as it turns out it doesn't matter where I dampen, the effect is still there. Here's a recording: https://www.box.com/s/yoqibyh22kim7itf1dew You can hear me put my thumb on after about a second. Maybe all pianos do this?

edit: I see, my under damper piano does it too, but to a much lesser extent. Conclusion? It must be the sound board and a particular Pleyel thing?

If you stop the strings with your thumb near the strike point, the sound should cease. The reason it isn't, is probably sympathetic vibration from all the other strings that aren't being damped properly. In this sample, are the dampers engaged, or have you taken the action away to pluck the string? If you perform the same experiment, and after you damp the string you pluck with your thumb, damp the notes on all the octaves below it, does that make a difference? It might not just be the octaves - try the set of octaves a fifth below, or a fifth above etc.

(you shouldn't really be touching the strings with your thumb - moisture and grease from your skin can corrode the strings, increasing the problems you have with false beats)

Whatever you find, you've got your work cut out to make those dampers work more effectively. The only real way to do it would be to replace the damper felt, and even then you will be a long way from finished as they will all need to be bent manually to engage the strings as close to the strike point as possible without interfering with the hammers. It is a tedious and frustrating task!

I have seen many overdampers that do not bleed below the treble break, but some damper bleed is inevitable from the top section of the dampers.

Last edited by Phil D; 03/19/13 02:20 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
It definitely isn't the strings. It's the sound board somehow.

Laissez tomber les mains
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It can't be the soundboard on its own - it doesn't have the resonances that would sustain a note for that long. The soundboard is designed to project sound energy, not hold it.

There are definitely strings still vibrating even after you damped those that you plucked in the sample you gave.

M
M
I think Phil probably hit it with sympathetic vibration. You are correct, the sound is coming from the sound board, but the energy to excite the soundboard comes from the strings through the bridge. When you hit one string, all the strings want to vibrate sympathetically. You can hear this in any piano when you listen to the difference between holding a long sustain on a single note, and striking a single note with the pedal raising all the dampers. You get a fuller more resonant sound in the later case because all the strings are free to vibrate and all kinds of different harmonics on different strings get excited.

So in this case you know that your dampers are leaky, presumably not just on the string you are striking but on all the other strings as well. So even if the dampers are engaged on the other strings, and even if you stop the vibration of the struck string manually all the other strings will continue to vibrate through their leaky dampers resulting in the carry over.

Rob

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
You would assume that, but I pluck a note, damp it, run my hand over the entire 'harp' and it's still there!

Laissez tomber les mains
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
That tells me you have the action out when you are plucking the string. The resonance of the piano will be very high in this situation - stopping the sound with your hand won't work unless you can mute all the strings at once!

Or am I wrong here - is the action in place with the dampers doing their job to the best of their ability in that sound sample?

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
You're right, I have the action pulled back. Surely after I've stopped all the strings they can't re-start?

Laissez tomber les mains
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission