Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
120 registered (ando, Alexander Borro, anotherscott, accordeur, 661-Pete, 33 invisible), 1674 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2049986 - 03/17/13 11:55 PM favorite violin sonatas
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

i had a another thread on the strauss sonata which to understate a little not my most-often-listened-to piece of music. i'll probably have a good violinist to play with every now and then, i wonder what favorite violin sonatas pianists have? i've played a few violin sonatas:

- the baby mozart violin sonata (the 1st "mature" mozart violin sonata beginner violinists always play)
- spring, kreutzer, and the last one. i like the 7th one too.
- one of the griegs, think the last one
- prokofiev's op 80

but i don't think i really have a "favorite one" the same way i have a favorite violin concerto, or piano trio, and so on.

what are the violin sonatas you guys have enjoyed the most?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2049989 - 03/18/13 12:05 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
My favorites:

Beethoven Spring and Kreutzer
Schumann #2
Brahms #1 and #3
Franck
Strauss
Corigliano
Enesco #3

Of those, the only one I haven't played yet is Brahms 1 - still trying to find a violinist to play it with me. frown
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2050011 - 03/18/13 01:53 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

great list. i'll slowly go over those pieces. the brahms no. 1 seems like a beautiful piece.

i just found out about ravel's violin sonata (no 2, i think, the one with Blues in it). what an incredible piece! 3rd movement looks hard, or at least exhausting, for the violinist though.

#2050056 - 03/18/13 04:36 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Beethoven "Spring"

Mozart, a whole bunch: both Bb majors (K. 378, K. 454), E minor, F major (376), A major (305), Eb major (380), G major (379)
The violin sonatas are among my favorite sets of Mozart's works, even giving the piano concerti and symphonies a run for their money.

Schubert Sonatinas in D major and A minor (probably because they were the first piano-violin duets I ever did seriously)

....and Franck, absolutely.
Just forgot to mention it. I think I have a mental block against the piece because I had an LP with an arrangement of the piece for piano and cello, and it was fine, but I lent out the LP and never got it back. ha

Edited by Mark_C (03/18/13 04:48 AM)

#2050059 - 03/18/13 04:43 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

My long-standing favorites are Franck's Violin Sonata and Beethoven's 'Spring' and 'Kreutzer' Sonatas.

Then I also discovered Fauré's lovely Violin Sonata No.1, and when a friend asked me to partner him in Mozart's Violin Sonata in E minor, K 304, I found it to be a profoundly moving and beautiful piece, with a typically Mozartian ambiguity of smiling through tears. Mark Steinberg & Mitsuko Uchida's recording of it is truly stunning.

And last but not least, just remembered Saint-Saëns's Violin Sonata No.1, with its highly virtuosic moto perpetuo finale following a wistful slow movement.

Edited by bennevis (03/18/13 10:29 AM)

#2050102 - 03/18/13 07:51 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
emilypianist89 Offline

Brahms G Major!! smile

#2050109 - 03/18/13 08:12 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
arpan70 Offline

Loc: Mumbai, India
Hey, no fair. Brahms 2 deserves some credit. That melody!

Agree with all of the above. Also, Grieg 3. And I highly recommend checking out Guillaume Lekeu's violin sonata. It's very beautiful, and sadly underplayed. Try getting your violinist to do it. Mine wanted to do do Brahms instead. tired

#2050148 - 03/18/13 09:45 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here? (well, not 'hates', of course.. but much prefer any of the other ones, especially 7)

Definitely Prokofiev n.1 - I love playing that piece, it's magnificent and runs very deep... there is just SO much in there, emotionally and in thematic material, and I love the sort of cyclic form, the end is very powerful.

Debussy will also always have a special place in my heart. I love all the Brahms too, and Franck especially.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2050149 - 03/18/13 09:51 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Reinecke is nice. I also heard it with a flute player, which worked well.

#2050166 - 03/18/13 10:27 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Surprised no one has mentioned the Saint-Saëns D minor, a worthy piece to set beside the Franck. The Fauré sonata mentioned above almost approaches the Franck, though I once had the distressing experience of hearing it on the radio played on flute! One cannot fault flutists for wanting to adopt it, but it was rather jarring to hear the piercing eloquence of the last movement reduced to a quasi-carnival act.

Quote:
Definitely Prokofiev n.1 - I love playing that piece, it's magnificent and runs very deep...

Absolutely, one of his great masterpieces. I played the 2nd sonata with a flutist (have not done it with a violinist), and it works splendidly. Very athletic 4th movement!

Quote:
The Reinecke is nice. I also heard it with a flute player, which worked well.

I know Reinecke wrote a violin sonata, though I have not heard it. But I suspect here you're talking about Sonata Undine, originally written for flute, and one of his more popular works.

#2050245 - 03/18/13 01:20 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: argerichfan]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Surprised no one has mentioned the Saint-Saëns D minor, a worthy piece to set beside the Franck.

I remembered the Saint-Saëns almost at the same time you posted this grin.

Not surprising it tends to be forgotten in this context - among French (or Belgian....) violin sonatas, I must have heard the Franck at least 100 times live (in concert or on radio), but the Saint-Saëns just once. (The Lekeu also once.) And the Debussy at least 30 times, the Fauré maybe 15 times. Yet as a virtuoso (as well as melodic) vehicle, the Saint-Saëns can hardly be bettered.

The one time I heard it live (a BBC Lunchtime Concert many years ago), it was due to be performed first, followed by the Franck to finish. The performers - Pierre Amoyal and Pascal Rogé - decided to switch them around at the last minute, and no wonder.....the house was brought down as the (then) young musicians hurled themselves at the finale at an almost impossibly reckless pace, yet just about stayed together.....

#2050255 - 03/18/13 01:42 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Pogorelich.]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here?....

I can see why you would. ha

A couple of reasons -- it's 'so sweet' (the 1st mvt), and (mainly) familiarity? For me, those are the reasons I love it so much but I can see that eventually it could turn. It's familiar enough to be greatly beloved, but not yet to the point of "OK, get outta here." grin

#2050330 - 03/18/13 04:27 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Franck for me.

Polyphonist

#2050385 - 03/18/13 05:57 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Pogorelich.]
emilypianist89 Offline

Am I the only one who hates the Spring sonata here? (well, not 'hates', of course.. but much prefer any of the other ones, especially 7)

Spring is not my favourite either. I quite like number 4! smile

#2050532 - 03/18/13 10:46 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm with emily - Beethoven 4 is one of my favourites and I really dislike the Spring sonata. I'm hoping some day I'll get to play Prokofiev #1, but for now, I'll continue liking my recital rep (for this Saturday) of Beethoven #8, Debussy and Prokofiev #2 smile

#2050540 - 03/18/13 11:15 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Arghhh]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Arghhh
....and I really dislike the Spring sonata....

ARGHHH! ha

#2050545 - 03/18/13 11:36 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
....and I really dislike the Spring sonata....

ARGHHH! ha

Stabbed. The only Beethoven piano & violin sonata I have professionally performed.

It was a wonderful experience for me as a young uni student. Learning it was so exciting...

But I seem to have blindly hastened into jaded territories, the outskirts of Beethoven's genius, the fallen crumbs, the distant planet to Beethoven's Op 47 or 96.

crazy

#2050552 - 03/18/13 11:45 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Offline

...But I seem to have blindly hastened into jaded territories, the outskirts of Beethoven's genius, the fallen crumbs, the distant planet to Beethoven's Op 47 or 96.
crazy

ha

I wouldn't say so. IMO more like it was one of the few moments when he was feeling almost normal. grin

#2050561 - 03/19/13 12:29 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Pogorelich.]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The first time I heard the "spring" sonata, it was on the radio. Having missed the programmer's introduction, I played "guess the composer," and decided it was some lesser contemporary of Beethoven, trying to emulate the master but without much success. Then he had the gall to borrow and adapt the rondo theme from op. 22 for the 4th movement.

Since then I've tried to listen to the sonata more receptively, but can't shake that first impression.

#2050571 - 03/19/13 12:56 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Ferdinand]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
....Then he had the gall to borrow and adapt the rondo theme from op. 22 for the 4th movement....

Interesting, I suppose. smile
But, FWIW, I've played both movements many times, and despite my tending to see similarities even where there aren't any grin ....nothing like that ever occurred to me. I don't think they're any more similar than billions of other things that hardly anyone would ever connect.

#2050574 - 03/19/13 12:58 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I like Stravinsky's Duo Concertante, which is pretty much a sonata. The Janacek Sonata is interesting, too.

#2050585 - 03/19/13 01:29 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA

A couple of reasons -- it's 'so sweet' (the 1st mvt), and (mainly) familiarity? For me, those are the reasons I love it so much but I can see that eventually it could turn. It's familiar enough to be greatly beloved, but not yet to the point of "OK, get outta here." grin

Maybe I'm just not old enough yet, but I'll listen to a good enough musician play even the most hackneyed music. Heck, I love listening to new interpretations that can add something fresh to the pot.

#2050586 - 03/19/13 01:34 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
An example of that would be the Grieg #3 played by Kreisler and Rachmaninoff. It is not the most profound music, but they make it seem like it is.

#2050660 - 03/19/13 06:55 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

The Bartok violin sonatas are fantastic. Here are Oistrakh and Richter in the first one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakdQno0t0Y

#2050681 - 03/19/13 07:53 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: arpan70]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: arpan70
Hey, no fair. Brahms 2 deserves some credit. That melody!.....

Yes, the second is one of my favorites, but I get the impression that many younger soloists believe that it's more of a rewarding work for the pianist.

#2050731 - 03/19/13 10:10 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

...But I seem to have blindly hastened into jaded territories, the outskirts of Beethoven's genius, the fallen crumbs, the distant planet to Beethoven's Op 47 or 96.
crazy

ha

I wouldn't say so. IMO more like it was one of the few moments when he was feeling almost normal. grin

Gotcha. Sort of like the Op 22 sonata?

#2050739 - 03/19/13 10:43 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: jeffreyjones]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

Maybe I'm just not old enough yet, but I'll listen to a good enough musician play even the most hackneyed music. Heck, I love listening to new interpretations that can add something fresh to the pot.

Me too. But that one is usually is "assigned" to kids as their first collaborative sonata, and doesn't usually quite get played that well..........

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2050762 - 03/19/13 11:17 AM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Jason, the Op. 22 is a masterpiece!!

Any Mozart and Beethoven, love them all smile
Also, all the Brahms
Alkan
Franck

#2051056 - 03/19/13 08:42 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Orange Soda King]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Jason, the Op. 22 is a masterpiece!!

Of course. Apple pie order indeed, Beethoven was incapable of writing anything less than great.

And yet... considering what he accomplished with the Op 27 duo, doesn't the Op 22 seem more of a delight and well deserved satisfaction in compositional mastery, albeit in a more conventional sense?

#2051064 - 03/19/13 09:24 PM Re: favorite violin sonatas [Re: Lingyis]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Chopin's Op 22 isn't too bad either... grin

Beethoven's is also a great work. I think I worked on it once, but never performed it. Technical troubles? grin

That was a long time ago.

Polyphonist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160012 Topics
2349819 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission