Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
65 registered (Ben_NZ, Auver, BabyCat, AZNpiano, angga888, 21 invisible), 1263 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2050818 - 03/19/13 12:57 PM Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures
McBuster Offline

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
Had reason to have a Tech come out and attempt a minor repair. The "G" above "Middle C" has a twang to it the other keys do not. If earphones, or recordings, it is clear as the others. When using the keyboard, it is there.

So, here is what is inside these beasties. My sincerest apologies to assumptions I made earlier about how these are made inside.

After the back board is removed.

After the top board is removed. Pretty uniform - for sure.

After the panel by your knees is removed.

The transducer is anchored to the back board. The other end of the transducer, is attached to the soundboard.

What I call the HandiPanel.

The board for the Sound Engine.

The Sound Engine Board with and without flash.

The panel by your knees.

The panel above your feet.

The top panel with the midrange speakers - four of them.

Amplifiers

One for the Tweeters, one for the MidRange and one for the Transducer.

Power Supply stuff

An adapter panel. Located beneath the Sound Engine. The black cord veers right to the amps. It is quite long and is coiled up and tied to the bottom.

+++

Hope you folks enjoyed this.

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2050863 - 03/19/13 02:07 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Very nice Jon, thanks for sharing your pix!

Added to the Nekid Pichures thread.

Wow, that soundboard looks real! So many boards and wiring harnesses, I'm kind of surprised at how "bits and pieces" the CA95 construction is. Looks like lots of plastic in the key action? And the obligatory aluminized chipboard key base even in a home model.

Were you able to find what was causing the buzzing / rattle / whatever? Unwanted resonance can be a bear to track down.

#2050979 - 03/19/13 04:51 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Now I feel dirty. :X

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2051024 - 03/19/13 06:38 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: dewster]
McBuster Offline

<<Wow, that soundboard looks real! >>

It is ... The Transducer does wiggle this sucker, and it does make the lower sounds in the room more voluminous.

<<So many boards and wiring harnesses, I'm kind of surprised
at how "bits and pieces" the CA95 construction is.>>

Not really. It is no different than other digital contraptions. Each cable/assembly has a purpose.

<<Looks like lots of plastic in the key action?>>

Each individual key is solid wood and the Keybed Frame and individual Hammers are indeed a plastic. Kawai has used plastics and composites for many years now and these components are absolutely stable.

<<And the obligatory aluminized chipboard key base even in a home model.>>

The entire cabinet is made of a high density chipboard. Very hard, very heavy, I might add. This protects from warpage. The aluminum shields protect the circuits from stray RF things eminating from outside the box.

<<Were you able to find what was causing the buzzing / rattle / whatever? Unwanted resonance can be a bear to track down.>>

Sadly, no. The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And G is still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

Thanks!

Kawai CA95

#2051028 - 03/19/13 06:54 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

Here is the Kawai Grand Feel. Note the wood and the plastic.

Kawai CA95

#2051090 - 03/19/13 10:56 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: McBuster
The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And F and F# are still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

I wonder if the midrange speakers have a natural resonance? Or does it seem to be coming from the soundboard? If you can't tell where it's coming from you might try unplugging one speaker at a time to see if it goes away.

#2051119 - 03/20/13 12:14 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it. This is not a serious problem - just an annoyance.

We decided on a couple of things. One, wait a few months and take the pulse then. Two, I will go to a local music store and try 1-2 other 95's to see what they sound like.

Thanks

Kawai CA95

#2051141 - 03/20/13 01:49 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Clayman Offline

I wonder if I will be able to spot these issues when I do get my CA-95 (seeing as I'm a total beginner). Is this something only a trained ear/finger can spot?

#2051144 - 03/20/13 01:59 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The CA 65 and 95 are wonderful pianos. Play them and do not get too nit picky of key spacing nor whatever until you are familiar with it. In my case, that specific note was a bit sour compared to the others. That was aggravating. Hence, a call was placed.

But, do not search for things that may or may not be there ... Enjoy it ...

Kawai CA95

#2051168 - 03/20/13 03:43 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Paolo70 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi McBuster,

The Tech tightened every screw etc he could see. And F and F# are still different than the rest. So, I will have to get used to that, I guess. But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

Thanks

Is the above mentioned 'shifting of the keyboard' that you tried a mechanical or electronic change? In the latter case, I think the issue cannot be a mechanical one, right?

Ciao,
Paolo

#2051176 - 03/20/13 04:17 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Clayman Offline

The CA 65 and 95 are wonderful pianos. Play them and do not get too nit picky of key spacing nor whatever until you are familiar with it. In my case, that specific note was a bit sour compared to the others. That was aggravating. Hence, a call was placed.

Not sure if you were referring to me, but anyway -- I'm not out to search for tiny details, I have heard enough here about how the keyboard of the piano is constructed. I'm just wondering if I will be able to find real but not so obvious problems.

#2051191 - 03/20/13 05:06 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
LarryShone Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Im surprised to see no toroidal transformers, more expensive than regular square transformers but they produce a cleaner signal with virtually no hum or feed-thru

My Soundcloud
Casio Celviano AP-450

#2051229 - 03/20/13 08:43 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Paolo70]
McBuster Offline

Originally Posted By: Paolo70
Hi McBuster,

[...]

The Tech did the combinations to see if it could be tracked to a speaker or amplifier. We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

Thanks

Is the above mentioned 'shifting of the keyboard' that you tried a mechanical or electronic change? In the latter case, I think the issue cannot be a mechanical one, right?

Ciao,
Paolo

Electronic using the Virtual Technician. Mechanical would appear to be very difficult to do.

Kawai CA95

#2051232 - 03/20/13 08:46 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Clayman]
McBuster Offline

Originally Posted By: Clayman

Not sure if you were referring to me, but anyway -- I'm not out to search for tiny details, I have heard enough here about how the keyboard of the piano is constructed. I'm just wondering if I will be able to find real but not so obvious problems.

Real vs Not So Obvious

Hmmmm ... Imho, these are fantastic instruments and of the CA63 and CA93 and now the CA95 I have owned, this Twang in a couple of keys was all I have ever found. Is it "Serious"? Not at all. A "Show Stopper"? No. On a One to Ten - "Irritating"? I find it a Three.

My whole goal here was to find one speaker with the screws needing one more twist. And done. We will see what six months brings.

Kawai CA95

#2051235 - 03/20/13 08:50 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

[...]

Electronic using the Virtual Technician.

If the tonal characteristic of the note in question moves up/down when transposed, it's almost certainly a component of the original sample, and therefore not a mechanical issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2051241 - 03/20/13 09:10 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Kawai James]
McBuster Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
But he and I did agree, it is indeed mechanical and not electronic.

[...]

We also shifted the keyboard up a half step and a full step and down as well. The "Twang" shifted with it.

[...]

Electronic using the Virtual Technician.

If the tonal characteristic of the note in question moves up/down when transposed, it's almost certainly a component of the original sample, and therefore not a mechanical issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hmmmm ...

I thought the opposite. If one key plays the note that sets the mechanical side abuzz, moving that note to another key would do the same thing. Right?

Assuming the key mechanism is not at fault, but some other mechanical component that lights up at a certain frequency from sound produced by the speakers, which key was used would have no bearing.

Kawai CA95

#2051243 - 03/20/13 09:13 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Do you hear the 'twang' in headphones as well as speakers?

James
x

#2051246 - 03/20/13 09:18 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
@KawaiJames
It could still be a mechanical issue in the sense that something mechanical is resonating -- excited by a very specific partial in one particular note. I'm always amazed how a particular note on my acoustic can excite buzzes outside the piano -- e.g., a window blind, a light fixture, or a part of the piano's cabinetry. We've all probably seen this, so I suppose this is an obvious point.

#2051248 - 03/20/13 09:23 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, I know what you mean guys.

Hmmm...well, the headphone test is probably the best way to find out.

James
x

#2051253 - 03/20/13 09:29 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Kawai James]
McBuster Offline

As I stated at the top, using headphones, or a recording, the Twang dissappears.

Kawai CA95

#2051258 - 03/20/13 09:39 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Ah, my apologies...I missed that.

Time to call it a night!

James
x

#2051263 - 03/20/13 09:51 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
McBuster Offline

Here is the original Link to the Sounds I hear. On my headphones and with my ears, I do hear a difference.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1983577/Kawai%20CA95%20-%20(G)%20Above%20Middle%20.html#Post1983577

Kawai CA95

#2053511 - 03/24/13 02:10 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Hi McBuster, I only recently discovered your thread about the twang of G4. I have similar (I should say exactly the same) issue so I know what you are talking about even if it's difficult for others to hear it on your referenced recording.

At first I was like you and thought that the issue was mechanical, but now I am not so sure. I have a suspicion that the twang might be indeed part of the sample, but it is only present in one channel of the stereo sample. Could you please try the following test: play the key or a piece of music where the twang manifests itself and record it (to USB probably). Then open the recording on your computer, mute one of the channels and play it back, do the same with the other channel. Are both channels twang-free or do you now hear the twang in one of the channels?

I hear the twang clear as day from speakers, in headphones I am not sure because I now expect the twang and it's difficult to stay objective, I would therefore welcome your opinion, because you now what the issue is about. Thank you. It would be good if other CA95 owners listened to the stereo samples of G4 (possibly at different velocities) separately and told us if they hear the twang.

#2053566 - 03/24/13 04:27 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Hookxs]
McBuster Offline

Originally Posted By: Hookxs
Hi McBuster, I only recently discovered your thread about the twang of G4. I have similar (I should say exactly the same) issue so I know what you are talking about even if it's difficult for others to hear it on your referenced recording.

At first I was like you and thought that the issue was mechanical, but now I am not so sure. I have a suspicion that the twang might be indeed part of the sample, but it is only present in one channel of the stereo sample. Could you please try the following test: play the key or a piece of music where the twang manifests itself and record it (to USB probably). Then open the recording on your computer, mute one of the channels and play it back, do the same with the other channel. Are both channels twang-free or do you now hear the twang in one of the channels?

I hear the twang clear as day from speakers, in headphones I am not sure because I now expect the twang and it's difficult to stay objective, I would therefore welcome your opinion, because you now what the issue is about. Thank you. It would be good if other CA95 owners listened to the stereo samples of G4 (possibly at different velocities) separately and told us if they hear the twang.

Give me a day or two ... Thanks ...

Kawai CA95

#2056374 - 03/29/13 05:26 PM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: Hookxs]
McBuster Offline

Originally Posted By: Hookxs

Tried this. On my version, whether a recording or headphones, Left or Right Channel, all is normal. I hear it only, when using the soundboard/speakers etc.

Kawai CA95

#2250261 - 03/22/14 12:53 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
midenok Offline

So what are the markings on a 2 large chips? It is impossible to read anything from the photos. I'm pretty sure there is one of Renesas CPUs SH-1, SH-2, SH2-DSP, SH-2A, SH2A-FPU. But which one??

HI7000/4 Real-time OS for SuperH Family

#2250321 - 03/22/14 04:52 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Try temporarily moving the CA95 to another room.

#2250376 - 03/22/14 08:53 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
Yasu Offline

Nothing wrong with using plastic in the keybed - short of CNC machining nothing can compare with the dimensional precision of injection molding, and due to high tooling cost it makes sense you would see it in a keybed which can be amortized across several models.

I am surprised at the sound system. I expected to see some speaker box bracing, porting, placement similar to a higher end studio monitor. It seems there would be huge room for improvement in this area utilizing the same amps and drivers. I do like the soundboard/transducer concept, don't stop there Kawai!

Edited by Yasu (03/22/14 08:54 AM)

#2250403 - 03/22/14 09:52 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
R_B Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Curious that the power supply pics show such LARGE heat sinks.
The need to dump heat == inefficiency {IMO}
Power supplies are SUPPOSED TO HAVE low internal resistance, etc.

#2250407 - 03/22/14 09:57 AM Re: Kawai CA95 - The Inside Story, With Pictures [Re: McBuster]
R_B Online   content
500 Post Club Member

re the twang; Any chance off hooking up a signal generator and "injecting" that frequency directly to the speaker board ?
It could be something as simple as a loop of speaker wire that is just the 'wrong' length for that note.
Things like that can HANG differently when the assembly is in/out of the cabinet or held vertically/horizontally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
12/19/14 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
12/19/14 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
12/19/14 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
12/19/14 02:11 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159974 Topics
2349300 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission