Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2051083 - 03/19/13 10:32 PM String Lifting Tool
woodfab Offline

Loc: Stoneham, MA
I broke my String Lifting Tool half way through the treble section and then again on the second unison of bass strings.

Now I need a new tool

Whitch one should I BUY?

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2051135 - 03/20/13 01:02 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
I keep several, I like to have a collection of all possible coil lifters.
I like the one in your photo - the long neck makes it useful where the one with the short neck has a problem.
I also like the Scirotino (spelling is probably wrong) coil lifter - it has a sliding counterweight that sets coils very nicely.
Never broke one.

#2051152 - 03/20/13 02:53 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
My 36 year-old Tuner's Supply lifter finally began to bend out of shape last year, so I bought one of the plastisol-coated ones from Schaff. It's bulky and doesn't fit easily under coils or between pins. IOW, I wouldn't recommend it.

#2051177 - 03/20/13 04:21 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Dan,

Was the tool that broke a Schaff tool? Which number?

Jim,

I haven't seen any mention of plastisol-coated string lifters in Schaff's catalog. Would you happen to have a part number for the one that you bought?

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2051244 - 03/20/13 09:14 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
woodfab Offline

It's a STRING LIFTER AND SPACER 134

I guess I'm just pulling to hard.

In my opinion I would say it's much to brittle.

Edited by woodfab (03/20/13 09:16 AM)

#2051280 - 03/20/13 10:40 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
It seems that there must be a lot of force being used in the stringing to break steel tools. I have evolved my stringing over the years to avoid, as much as possible, having to use force. I have it pretty well isolated to the hammers, with a bit of effort when it comes to coiling wire, and on a small, intense, scale, really concentrated force when moving beckets in or out with heavy wire.

If the tang doesn't protrude, the coil can be lifted higher than level on the pin and fixed there with the initial tensioning of the wire. I try to coil and tension so that when I first tighten the string, the coils are left tilted above the hole opposite the becket's entry. After the first two chippings or so, when I know the tension isn't ever again going to drop so flat as to loosen them, I tap the coils level. This will simultaneously tighten the coils, even out the top strings various angles to bearings, (all the pins are evenly driven by now, eh?), level the coils, and allow the tension of the speaking length to move up the string, taking some slack out of the coil, itself. This is a boost to stability, since the coil contains approx. 150 cents worth of slack after the first chipping, and tightening the coil pays off in a lot faster stability. I use small, custom ground, Vise-Grips to give the coils a twist after the second chipping. It is not uncommon for a note to drop 100 cents, even after being at pitch for a day or two. Moving the coils to level, under full tension, helps reduce this.

This way, I never have to force the lifter, instead, just use it to start the coil off high. Takes little force to hold it up while the pin turns it tight. The hammer does the forceful work, and they don't ever break!
Regards

#2051281 - 03/20/13 10:43 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Ed Foote]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Greetings,
It seems that there must be a lot of force being used in the stringing to break steel tools. I have evolved my stringing over the years to avoid, as much as possible, having to use force. I have it pretty well isolated to the hammers, with a bit of effort when it comes to coiling wire, and on a small, intense, scale, really concentrated force when moving beckets in or out with heavy wire.

If the tang doesn't protrude, the coil can be lifted higher than level on the pin and fixed there with the initial tensioning of the wire. I try to coil and tension so that when I first tighten the string, the coils are left tilted above the hole opposite the becket's entry. After the first two chippings or so, when I know the tension isn't ever again going to drop so flat as to loosen them, I tap the coils level. This will simultaneously tighten the coils, even out the top strings various angles to bearings, (all the pins are evenly driven by now, eh?), level the coils, and allow the tension of the speaking length to move up the string, taking some slack out of the coil, itself. This is a boost to stability, since the coil contains approx. 150 cents worth of slack after the first chipping, and tightening the coil pays off in a lot faster stability. I use small, custom ground, Vise-Grips to give the coils a twist after the second chipping. It is not uncommon for a note to drop 100 cents, even after being at pitch for a day or two. Moving the coils to level, under full tension, helps reduce this.

This way, I never have to force the lifter, instead, just use it to start the coil off high. Takes little force to hold it up while the pin turns it tight. The hammer does the forceful work, and they don't ever break!
Regards

I take a similar approach. Lift coil "too high" on initial stringing. Tap down and compact later.

#2051282 - 03/20/13 10:44 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: woodfab
I broke my String Lifting Tool half way through the treble section and then again on the second unison of bass strings.

Now I need a new tool

Whitch one should I BUY?

Best string lifter you can get is to make your own out of a single-string-unison bass string. You don't need one that looks like the photo.

#2051466 - 03/20/13 04:51 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Keith,

I'm always very interested in making my own tools, but I'm battling to wrap my mind around the shape that this thing would take. Do you perhaps have a picture of such a self-made string lifter?

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2051492 - 03/20/13 05:44 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
WIth a string it is a hook, you need proper technique, the coil lifter is useful, can be made with an old large enough screwdriver.

I like the one sold by Jahnn, with a wooden handle but the light tool pictured there is useful, it tend to wear if misused (not enough force. The comb side is also very useful to make a fiorst spacing

#2051518 - 03/20/13 06:56 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Mark R.]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark R.
Dan,

Was the tool that broke a Schaff tool? Which number?

Jim,

I haven't seen any mention of plastisol-coated string lifters in Schaff's catalog. Would you happen to have a part number for the one that you bought?

Yes, it's part # 134. In the catalog, it's shown as their standard, plain metal lifter, but the one I got looks like this:

#2051794 - 03/21/13 08:10 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

the half round seem to be too small for a tuning pin is not it ?

#2051865 - 03/21/13 11:07 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Ed Foote]
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
Greetings,

Regards

Hi Ed,

I like and use your method of pulling the coil too high initially and then tapping down to level. I was taught to do it that way a few decades ago by some guy named Fandrich in a little shop in Sacramento.

It is my observation that many of the problems that people have getting the coils lifted in the first place has to do with the extreme back angle that most manufacturers seem intent on drilling their pin blocks. It's really hard to keep those coils from crawling down the pin toward the plate on most pianos where the angle of the pin is approaching 7 degrees or so. We rarely drill at more than 3 degrees except for the occasional upright pin block in the bass where the is no pressure bar.

BTW, if the tang is allowed to stick out beyond the side of the pin, you are prevented from leveling the coils to the most efficient path around the pin. The coil is best when the top of the wire at 180 degrees from the becket, bisects the hole opposite the becket, as this eliminates any ovoid tracking. The best path around the pin is also the shortest. Imagine a screw thread if you will.

#2051881 - 03/21/13 11:35 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Good description by Ed, that is how I was shown, with the upper coil covering the hole in the end

#2051894 - 03/21/13 12:01 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Dale Fox]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dale Fox
Greetings,

Regards

Hi Ed,

I like and use your method of pulling the coil too high initially and then tapping down to level. I was taught to do it that way a few decades ago by some guy named Fandrich in a little shop in Sacramento.

It is my observation that many of the problems that people have getting the coils lifted in the first place has to do with the extreme back angle that most manufacturers seem intent on drilling their pin blocks. It's really hard to keep those coils from crawling down the pin toward the plate on most pianos where the angle of the pin is approaching 7 degrees or so. We rarely drill at more than 3 degrees except for the occasional upright pin block in the bass where the is no pressure bar.

BTW, if the tang is allowed to stick out beyond the side of the pin, you are prevented from leveling the coils to the most efficient path around the pin. The coil is best when the top of the wire at 180 degrees from the becket, bisects the hole opposite the becket, as this eliminates any ovoid tracking. The best path around the pin is also the shortest. Imagine a screw thread if you will.

This is very interesting.

Back in the Dark Ages when I apprenticed (1976 & 77), I had been taught to always have the tang protrude approximately the diameter of the wire from the pin, and to lift the coil against it. For me, that never took a lot of force unless I tried to lift a coil that was tight (which is why my 36 year-old lifter slowly bent out of shape).

But, I get Dale's point about shortening the path around the pin, and will give it a try today at the Shout House.

#2051895 - 03/21/13 12:02 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Olek]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Olek
the half round seem to be too small for a tuning pin is not it ?

It is big enough, but the arms are so thick it's sometimes difficult to get it between the pins.

#2051905 - 03/21/13 12:11 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It can be worthwhile modifying tools with a file or grinder to make them fit better.

Remember to lift, not pry.

#2051913 - 03/21/13 12:25 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
Ah yes the glory of tools made overseas from compressed grass clippings. Someone clearly needs to go over there and say add SALT ! I think if they would ever get that these tools need to be hardened or annealed then they would actually survive useage. I think they make those string lifters down at the "Bendzalot" flatware factory when little Johnny forgets to tack on a spoon they just make it a string lifter.

I experimented with some new piano dollies a couple years ago which looked to me like they were made from old pallets but they were still 200 bucks. Bored holes through knots in wood? Why were there Knots anyway? How can you pre-stress wood with knots in it? So now we just make everything ourselves.

My personal favorite is if it's a flawed casting .. throw some paint over it ! At least we will never have to worry about the Naval ships since they do not xray their welding processes.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2051936 - 03/21/13 12:53 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I have an old APSCO "heavy duty string lifter" that is made from hexagonal stock, with the ears groung to a point. Its a lot better than the Schaff tool pictured, but I don't know if Schaff kept that tool after they bought APSCO.

EDIT: I see they still have it, Schaff part number 3164

Edited by Dan Casdorph (03/21/13 02:10 PM)
All pianos are bald ones.

#2052166 - 03/21/13 10:19 PM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
woodfab Offline

Thanks guys for the helpful hints and advice.

I didn't want to wait five or six days for a new one to come so I made a quick one out of a cheap wrench.

I heated one end till it was white hot and let air cool.

Then cut, ground and bent it into the shape I wanted.

I heated it up to red hot and dipped it in water.

I think it will hold me over until I buy a new one.

#2052285 - 03/22/13 06:02 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

WHen the coils are well done prior tuning pin insertion, no much force is needed, and in any case the coils with be tightened and tapped later. A good handle is a must.

#2052339 - 03/22/13 08:45 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Hey Ed Foote!

I'd love to see a photo of your modified vicegrips. And I remember one of your other postings, you twist the coil in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction?

#2052345 - 03/22/13 08:57 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: BoseEric]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: BoseEric
Hey Ed Foote!
I'd love to see a photo of your modified vicegrips. And I remember one of your other postings, you twist the coil in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction?

I got no picture,but it is a simple thing. I used a grinding ball on the Dremel to make the jaws have a slight concavity to them where they meet. This keeps them wrapped around the coil more securely than if I were grabbing the round coil with flat surfaces. I set the adjustment so that the jaws are just short of locking on a firm grip, mash the becket as flat as possible, and then I twist the coil in a counterclockwise direction, massaging the string along its length of the coil. This moves some of the slack from farther up in the coil and seems to let the string settle. It is normal to see pitch drop 150 cents when this is done after the first two chippings.

I have also ground the jaws down to be smaller for reaching in tighter places.
Regards,

#2052378 - 03/22/13 10:09 AM Re: String Lifting Tool [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Not to try to look different, but I hardly experienced any large drop when massaging the coils that way. But I tried after reinserting the becket and tapping the coils. And after 3 chippings/Tunings

If done before may be it shows the drop some stated to me.

I have also tried once after mounting a new string, without much drop too, a little, indeed, so I will adopt the technique..

I have yet a freshliy stringed vertical to tests...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
SF Symphony pianist at Steingraeber recital / reception
by master88er
10/23/14 03:31 PM
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
10/23/14 02:20 PM
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/23/14 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, ajames, 41 invisible), 1617 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76631 Members
42 Forums
158443 Topics
2326858 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission