2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Yes, I'd be interested.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark4424
Actually, I do know of a new accessible, melodic, modern piano concerto. Actually, I just wrote one. If you're interested, I could send you a recording.
I'm also interested please! If you have trouble uploading your recording somewhere, let me know via PM and I can help.

Now, I don't know how this is going to sound but I'm actually working on a piano concerto... It should be accessible to the ears, but not so much to the technicalities (damn difficult concerto...). I'm not too sure on when I'll have something more specific to share, but since my duets are doing so well and I've been posting about them for quite a while, I might as well start bugging you with the concerto as well! grin

(The Schnittke piano+strings concerto is WONDERFUL! Not too neglected, since I know there've been a few performances AND recordings available thus far, but still...)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm currently writing one as well... grin anyone who wants a score should PM me and I can send excerpts once it's finished

Regards,

Polyphonist
I aired Zimerman's recording of the Litosławski on my radio show this morning! My first hearing - a rather incredible work.

M
M
I should be able to get my brother (the compu-wizard) to put it online tonight, or atleast by this weekend. I'll let you know.

M
M
Here's my concerto. It's derived (admittedly a long way) from minimalism. I'm including an earlier (solo) piece to compare. The concerto is midi, but works surprisingly well (except at the beginning where there's that weird "pp" = "distance" effect.) Enjoy.

www.cheyennesd.net/other/other.html

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Here's my concerto. It's derived (admittedly a long way) from minimalism. I'm including an earlier (solo) piece to compare. The concerto is midi, but works surprisingly well (except at the beginning where there's that weird "pp" = "distance" effect.) Enjoy.

Interesting.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
I like Esa Pekka Salonen's Concerto and Magnus Lindberg's new Concerto No.2. Both require extraordinary feats of virtuosity, though.

Yama B3
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Someone beat me to it, I was just about to mention Lindberg's 2nd concerto wink I was able to find the recording of the premiere through classical archives (try here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/72052.html ), and the score is available for browsing through on Booseys website. It's a VERY dense scoring - a friend of mine heard the premiere but said she couldn't hear much of Bronfman (possibly because of where she was seated, however).
Magnus is a very friendly fellow in addition. His later works (from the last 10-15 years or so) are quite different from his earlier style. He by the way recorded his own first piano concerto (under Salonen's baton), so he's indeed quite a formidable pianist himself.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by fnork
Someone beat me to it, I was just about to mention Lindberg's 2nd concerto wink I was able to find the recording of the premiere through classical archives (try here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/72052.html ), and the score is available for browsing through on Booseys website. It's a VERY dense scoring - a friend of mine heard the premiere but said she couldn't hear much of Bronfman (possibly because of where she was seated, however).
Magnus is a very friendly fellow in addition. His later works (from the last 10-15 years or so) are quite different from his earlier style. He by the way recorded his own first piano concerto (under Salonen's baton), so he's indeed quite a formidable pianist himself.

Is the Lindberg 2nd one of those concertos for piano against orchestra? I've liked the Lindberg I've heard so far, but a concerto where the pianist is constantly struggling to be heard is somewhat off-putting........

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
Is the Lindberg 2nd one of those concertos for piano against orchestra? I've liked the Lindberg I've heard so far, but a concerto where the pianist is constantly struggling to be heard is somewhat off-putting........

It sounds relatively fine in the recording, but its a massive orchestration...Balance is very much of an issue in piano concertos by modernist composers of our times as doublings and octaves aren't an accepted procedure in certain circles. Doublings/octaves, however, is usually what makes the piano audible in a concerto context...There's a funny story about this regarding Lindberg's FIRST piano concerto where he had troubles with balance issues and discussed the matter with my current piano teacher, as well as with Pierre Boulez. Linberg explained to Boulez that he wanted the piano to be heard at all times, to which Boulez replied - "well, then you're going to have another Chopin concerto...". My teacher, who has been a friend of Magnus since they were in their teens, mentioned that for the piano to be heard at all times, octaves and doublings would be necessary - now, with Magnus' compositional aesthetics at that time, he seemed shocked by such a suggestion. Octaves are indeed the worst dissonance for a forward-looking modernist!! (at least I do believe it was Magnus who was shocked by the suggestion, though it might have been Boulez. Lindbergs composigional aesthetics, of course, have changed since then)

M
M
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Interesting.

Thanks.

K
K
I'm fond of James MacMillan's "The Berserking". You can hear short samples at AllMusic , and the full recording's on Spotify if you have that.

F
F
Originally Posted by fnork
Someone beat me to it, I was just about to mention Lindberg's 2nd concerto wink I was able to find the recording of the premiere through classical archives (try here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/72052.html ), and the score is available for browsing through on Booseys website.

Thanks for the link. I attended the West coast premiere in SF, so I'm thrilled to have a recording of the piece.

Yama B3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, a Second Piano Concerto from Lindberg! He's another personal favorite. I hope I can somehow procure the recording (oddly, ArkivMuic doesn't carry it).

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
F
F
Originally Posted by Janus K. Sachs
Wow, a Second Piano Concerto from Lindberg! He's another personal favorite. I hope I can somehow procure the recording (oddly, ArkivMuic doesn't carry it).

It hasn't been officially released as far as I can tell. This work would greatly benefit from a studio recording so the balances can be properly corrected--unless Lindberg wants the piano covered by the orchestra at times!

Yama B3
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission