2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by musicpassion

I think music does build on itself. So mastering one level of playing is needed as a good foundation for what comes next.
Yes, playing the piano can be frustrating. I certainly won't deny that.

But do you really think piano playing, the physical act I mean, is that kind of monolithic generalized skill?

It certainly does not appear so from here.

To use a sports analogy: Aerobic fitness, strength, and flexibility help somewhat with all activities. But mastery of pushups helps not at all with pullups, or situps, or squats. And the specialized sports skills: throwing, catching, hitting, swinging, etc. have even less to do with each other.

If piano were like general fitness, the levels would be easy to assess analytically, and the simple timed experiment would be statistically reliable for determining the level.

You are aware of the argument over intelligence? over the relative importance of g versus Guilford's 120 cells, e.g.?

gotta go practice
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you all for the ongoing discussion. I find it fascinating actually!

The problem with what I'm proposing is that it's too hard to explain in words, without giving out a design document or something similar (<-from my experience with computer games a design doc can be hugely complicated... :D).

So, I'm still stuck, but I do see that overdoing it with the grading system would be a big minus...

Still, trying to follow how the global boards are grading is a tad difficult. The link to the sheetmusicplus site offers little help: My music has nothing of what the description offers. It's simply too simplistic (the grading system) for my own use... frown

Geez... I'm becoming a monster! shocked

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If the project is just to use the gradings for comparison among the pieces, rather than comparison to an external source, then you can grade them using whatever you want for the scale, and your main worry would be to get the relative grading correctly.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Could you pick the easiest piece, the most difficult piece, and a piece with a level of difficulty right between those and call those grades 1, 10, and 5? Then use those as the basis for grading the other pieces?

I wouldn't over think it too much. Grading is subjective, and I don't think you will ever have everyone agree with your grading, as this thread will attest! As long as the pieces are graded relative to one another it should be fine.

M.M., Piano performance and pedagogy
Member, MTNA and NCMTA
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Grading is ONLY for the specific project, but I think it's very important.

an example to why in this case 'traditional' grading is a problem:

You get a single system, from the one end of the page to the next. In the beginning of the system you get a box with 5 notes in it (in the right hand, tremble clef, high enough notes). The notes are not close with each other, but seem to have quite a bit of space between them (like quavers would have). A bold arrow extends from the end of the box to the end of the system and above that there's the following note: 15" (15 secs). The words ad lib. can be seen inside the box.

The above is a problem that's waiting to be solved. It involves aleatoric material that needs explaining, to a student that is starting to get into what music is about. It takes some explaining to get through the idea of 'randomnly pick any pitch from those in the box and repeat them at random time intervals for 15 secs'.

If you, however, were to see this written in a traditional sense, with all the pitches written out as quavers, and just the word tempo rubato somewhere you would rate this at level 1. The above notation though creates several problems that make the piece much harder than it is...

How can you grade this with traditional grading systems.

(I'm not in the studio to make the example in a score).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Geez... I'm becoming a monster!

But such an interesting and endearing monster!

Learner
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Geez... I'm becoming a monster!

But such an interesting and endearing monster!
aawwww... smile

Thank you for that!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by TimR
But do you really think piano playing, the physical act I mean, is that kind of monolithic generalized skill?

No I don't think I would describe playing the piano as a monolothic generalized skill.

To use a sports analogy: Aerobic fitness, strength, and flexibility help somewhat with all activities. But mastery of pushups helps not at all with pullups, or situps, or squats. And the specialized sports skills: throwing, catching, hitting, swinging, etc. have even less to do with each other.

If piano were like general fitness, the levels would be easy to assess analytically, and the simple timed experiment would be statistically reliable for determining the level.

Unfortunately I don't think an analogy is helpful. Analogies are always a challenge to start with, and pushups and situps are just too distant from playing the piano to help shed light on your ideas (at least for me).

You are aware of the argument over intelligence? over the relative importance of g versus Guilford's 120 cells, e.g.?

How are you wanting to apply theories of intelligence to the discussion?

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Tim: I think I'll agree with musicpassion on this one... Every skill in music is related to piano performance, and any performance actually. You don't get to go in too deep but knowing your theory, your harmony, your morphology (form knowledge), your instrumentation and history of music ALL help to a better performance. Otherwise you're just a robot with instincts... :-/

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I don't think that kind of testing would work. For instance, I can play a Chopin Ballade or Scherzo with relative ease, but please don't ask me to play a Bach fugue. We all perceive and experience difficulty differently.
Exactly that!

I'm willing to dig deeper and see why each person finds a piece easy or difficult... Thus the breakdown.

The reason for grading them in the first place has nothing to do about marketing or following others. This is a VERY special thing, but I just canNOT spill the beans just yet..

The idea is to have a collection hugely diverse on contemporary music: So diverse that one needs a chart to use it (almost, ok... not so much but...). You get a piece that's level 1, and one that's level 10 on the same score. And all with weird stuff in (weirder than Sketch Music and certainly than Piano Stories). I HAVE to tell the student and the parent and teacher why this is happening, etc, but I'm trying to avoid too much text (though some times it's unavoidable).

I'll try to shape up an example of a few works together and PM a few of you if you don't mind to get some feedback... smile

Nikolas,

I have struggled with the problem of "how hard is it" for a very long time. Rather than use grades I simply made folders, the first one A, the last one probably closer to Z, and I just dump music into each folder.

Almost all my work is done on my computer, so I have complete control over everything.

What happens over time is that I find out one thing is more easily learned than I thought, so I simply move it to an easier folder. Then something else seems to belong where I put it, logically, but students have trouble with it. So I move it to a "harder" folder.

I don't think we can know how hard something is to teach until we have road-tested it. The composition you showed would be quite simple, apart from minor reading problems, if it was not marked mm = 180 AND did no involved a totally different touch for the LH. It's not even clear to me if the first note of each bar is staccato in the LH - I think not. Whenever one hand is called upon to observe rests, to play staccato, etc. while the other is legato, a bit of difficulty is added. If one hand is louder than the other, another level of difficulty. Etc.

There are two main factors as I see it:

1) What are the skills necessary to just "hit the notes"?

2) How advanced does the student need to be to play the music so that it really comes alive?

And actually a third important consideration - how long will it take to master it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission