2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Fish, I like your approach to this, and i think you got yourself a fine piano.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
M
M
Its funny, we seem to be on parallel journeys here smile Ours also needed a #1 tip and is 80c flat. Hopefully work will let up soon and I can get back to work on ours.

I have the same reaction to your pic that I often have at home, it looks so funny to see these old pianos plugged in to a laptop as if they have an OBDII port for diagnostics smile

Keep up the good work!

Rob

Last edited by miscrms; 03/22/13 04:35 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Fishbulb - be careful of that Rob guy. He doesn't peddle smoke, but he has a mirror business!

[Linked Image]

(Click on his link)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
M
BTW how do you like the CAD U37? Was debating between that and shelling out for a dual usb pre amp and a couple of MXL 990s. It seems silly to spend that much on recording gear now (although I could use them for other things too) but I was wondering how well the all in one solution like this really works.

Rob

S
SBP Offline
S
I really like the way the music desk folds out of the top board, sorta like an old player piano, instead of flipping up like most modern pianos.

I had the opportunity to buy an old Seiler art-case upright a few months ago when I was looking. I passed it up because I didn't want an old upright at the time. It still played, with an absolutely gorgeous mellow European tone (although slightly tubby), but if I were to spruce it up like you did with your Weber, it would've been a gorgeous instrument.

2012 Kawai K3
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Is black its original color? I haven't seen many ornate black uprights of that period..
usually stained brown..

OP Offline
Originally Posted by OperaTenor
Fish, I like your approach to this, and i think you got yourself a fine piano.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by miscrms
I have the same reaction to your pic that I often have at home, it looks so funny to see these old pianos plugged in to a laptop as if they have an OBDII port for diagnostics smile

Heh I know the feeling; although, I have never owned a car new enough to have an OBDII port ;-)

Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Fishbulb - be careful of that Rob guy. He doesn't peddle smoke, but he has a mirror business!

Rob's piano is a very interesting one; even though it was hacked up for the mirror retrofit, it looks like they did a very good job of it - and it's still a Steinway!

Originally Posted by miscrms
BTW how do you like the CAD U37?

Well, I haven't recorded with it yet, so I'm not really the best one to ask I think. It's great for tuning though. One of my friends who's more into gear than I recommended it as a good budget mic. My only caveat with it would be that I doubt it could withstand a lot of banging around since the case and stand are plastic. If you treat it nice though (or wrap the case in 50 layers of duct tape) it should be fine.

Originally Posted by SBP
I really like the way the music desk folds out of the top board, sorta like an old player piano, instead of flipping up like most modern pianos.

Thanks! I like it too. That was supposedly a very common feature of late Victorian uprights.

Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
Is black its original color? I haven't seen many ornate black uprights of that period..
usually stained brown..

Yep, it's definitely original unless they redid the entire cabinet inside and out, up and down. I've seen no evidence of any refinishing so far. This piano was dated to 1894 according to some notes I have from my parents' tuner, and the serial number info I have supports that. This is about when ebonized (black) finishes were introduced, because they were cheaper to apply than wood finishes. Overall, this was probably a mid-level piano (for Weber anyway, which was a high-end company). It was probably made after the panic of 1893, since it has the less-expensive black ebonized finish and the simplified carvings instead of the full cut-out carvings.

There is a great amount of detail about this in Martha Taylor's article on upright cabinet styles.

I have also been writing an article for Wikipedia on the Weber piano company (none had existed yet). Weber really has an interesting story, complete with illegitimate children, pistol-brandishing playboys, suicides, legal battles, and declaring oneself insane to avoid creditors.

The working draft is located here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...tion/Weber_of_New_York_%28piano_maker%29

M
M
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

[Linked Image]

(Click on his link)

Hey now! Just because my plan for world domination begins with convincing everyone to buy old uprights and trying to... Oh wait. That's supposed to be a secret. Never mind!

Rob

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I like them! especially the fancy ornate ones from the 1880s period .... smile

I love this. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures and journey - it's inspiring! One day when I have the time and money to invest I'd love to have a beautiful old piano such as yours. Enjoy!!

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
OP Offline
Minor update...

Pictures of the action rack I've been building, as promised.

First, I cut some mortises by hand with my chisels. Wish I had a router and a drill press, or even better-quality chisels, but my workshop space is pretty limited.

[Linked Image]

Completed four mortises:

[Linked Image]

Cut the other pieces of wood, sanded rough spots, glued everything, and let each side of the rack dry overnight. Elmers Wood Glue, nothing fancy. All of the wood pieces are 24 inches long, and the spacer blocks are 3.5 inches square. This took two nights, since I only have enough clamps to hold one side of the rack at a time.

[Linked Image]

Drilling some counter sinks for the 4-inch lag bolts with a forstner bit:

[Linked Image]

Lag bolts installed:

[Linked Image]

Then there was the hardware. This took me several attempts to get right. First, the bolts were to short. Then the washers were too big. Then the new washers were too small. Luckily I have a good hardware store close by. This is the bottom attachment:

[Linked Image]

This is the top attachment. On all four attachments, there are nylon spacers around the threads of the bolts, so the action frame doesn't touch anything but rubber and nylon.

[Linked Image]

And this is the complete rack. There are cork pads glued underneath of each side piece to protect the dining room table (or whatever surface the rack rests upon.)

[Linked Image]

The good things about this rack: extremely stable, provides plenty of room to work below the stickers, and inexpensive to construct (especially if you already have some leftover 2"x4"s lying around.) The only major downside with this rack is that due to the weight it is difficult to move with the action attached by yourself - you definitely need two people to move the action around.

M
M
Very Nice!! Conveniently one of my next projects. Thanks for figuring it out wink

Rob

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Nice rack, fish!

Wait, that didn't come out quite right...

laugh

OP Offline
Thanks guys. Made a lot of progress yesterday.

Found a couple more signatures, on key #1.

Looks like Sprigoode???
[Linked Image]

And on the bottom of the key, Deitz:
[Linked Image]

I also got started on the buffing project. Hard work, but it pays off. Left side is unpolished, right side has been buffed with Cory Coconut Wood Cleaner.
[Linked Image]

Now that I've got the action rack done, I had plenty of room to easily remove all of the keys. As I suspected, it's disgusting under there.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The balance rail and front rail punchings are pretty disintegrated.
[Linked Image]

The old punchings were handily removed using the punching lifter tool I got from VandaKing.com for $6.59. The tool is definitely worth it (it saves a ton of time both removing old punchings and sliding down the new ones) but it needed some modification. As shown in the pictures, I sharpened the two lower "teeth" so that the tool could actually slide under the paper punchings at the bottom of the stack. The tool is made of some tough steel. To sharpen the teeth, I actually had to clamp a metal file in a vice and then push the punching lifter tool back and forth against the file. Hard work, but the tool is actually effective. Without that modification, it's basically useless.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The pins are a bit worn (this is in the center of the keybed), but not at all rusty and still very smooth. Looks like I'll be able to get a lot more use out of them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is after a lot of vacuuming and detailing with Cory Harmony Detailing Oil. From what I can tell, someone spilled red wine in the piano at some point, I think on both sides of the keybed. When I polished this area, the rag came off purple like a wine stain, and not black like the finish. Hmm...
[Linked Image]

Now is a good time to talk about glue. Having used hot hide glue in the past, frankly, I think it smells like the devil's personal outhouse. Therfore, fish glue! Usable at room temperature, similar properties to hide glue (it can be 'reversed'), and it doesn't smell. Unless you live in a jungle, where fish glue probably wouldn't work quite as well due to its lower resistance to humidity, it is a much better choice for most woodworking applications where hide glue would have been used. Plus, unlike hide glue, fish glue is very unlikely to have bovine spongiform encephalopathy prions in it. ;-) I got both bottles from Lee Valley Tools.
[Linked Image]

Finally, here is the keybed with fresh felts and paper punchings, ready to go!
[Linked Image]

Currently, I'm working on replacing some of the smaller felt pieces that are part of the trapwork, and cleaning and polishing up everything, before I put the keys and action back in.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Fish, I wouldn't use any kind of oil inside the case. Others' opinions might differ, but I would be concerned about it migrating to someplace I didn't intend for it to go that might irreparably damage the piano.

As for glue, as long as it's wood glue, go for it.

Looking great so far.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I'm confused (which is nothing new). Did you already install new paper punchings, without the keys installed?

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
OP Offline
Yep, there are paper punchings under everything. To start out I just measured the old punching stacks with a digital caliper, and then selected a new punching thickness that a made a new stack that was about the same size. So everything is the same from key to key right now.

Key dip came out pretty good, but key height is a little uneven. So, the balance rail punchings will need to be adjusted after I break them in by playing.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Fishbulb - This is a very interesting thread. I am enjoying it and learning a lot. Your photos are great! I do hope you plan to keep them comming.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to such an interesting undertaking!

In spite of all the nay-sayers, such project has obviously its onw rewards.

Enjoy the process!

Norbert smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just found this thread, absolutely fabulous!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission