Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
71 registered (angga888, Auver, AndyP, Beemer, 19 invisible), 1148 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1302985 - 11/10/09 09:18 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: OldFingers]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Hi OldFingers, sounds like all the hard Alfred work has paid off. I know many of us sometimes didn't care for some of the pieces in Alfred, but they are an end to a means. I feel its paying your dues.

Although, I still am working some of the Ambitious stuff in Alfred 3, my teacher has moved me into some late beginner/early intermediate stuff. Some of it for some reason comes easier than the Alfred pieces.

If you like Blues and Jazz, Willian Gillock has some wonderful stuff just right for our level. Check them out on U-tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbb3I6lR2nY

Mark

Edited by Mark... (11/10/09 09:20 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1303004 - 11/10/09 10:05 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Hey, I didn't know about this thread. I felt kind of silly posting my supp. pieces in the A3 thread and in the piano bar (since they're not that great), but this is the perfect place for them. Heck yea,

#1303953 - 11/12/09 11:29 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: OldFingers]
Lea09 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I was gifted a stack of beginner to intermediate level piano books, and was pleased to discover Jane Bastien's Intermediate Technic 1, 2, and 3 inside. Level 1 looks like a good place to start, as it has some good finger-builders as well as proper fingerings for two octave scales (Alfred only does one, I think). I should be able to find some nice stuff to assign myself here... plenty to keep me occupied until I get a teacher or switch to Snell or whatever I decide to do.

Burgmüller's Ballade is coming along, but still needs work. I can play through it now, though. It seems weird that I'd have more trouble with the 2nd page than the first, since it's in the key of C and has fairly simple chords in the LH. It'll come with practice. smile

#1304059 - 11/12/09 01:48 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Lea09]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Submitted my Clementi Sonatina (Opus 36 Number 1, part 1) as my ABF recital piece. That was a real stretch for me, and to get it presentable, and I had sort of set aside my Alfred's Book 2 work during the last couple of weeks.

Seeing some Satie recommendations... anyone gone that route?

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1304073 - 11/12/09 02:00 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Just got a good new recording of my Recital piece "Leaves on the Seine" by David Lanz - currently working on an excellent arrangement of the beautiful piece "Ashokan Farewell" by Jay Unger (this is the theme from the PBS series "The Civil War").

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1304149 - 11/12/09 03:47 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
John,

I can't wait to hear you play Ashokan Farewell. I have a favorite recording of it as a piano solo by Chuck Leavell. (just fired it up on itunes while typing this). What would you say is the difficulty level for this piece?

Estonia L190 #7284

#1304195 - 11/12/09 05:10 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: JimF]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: JimF
John,

I can't wait to hear you play Ashokan Farewell. I have a favorite recording of it as a piano solo by Chuck Leavell. (just fired it up on itunes while typing this). What would you say is the difficulty level for this piece?

Jim - it's the Dan Coates arrangement and is probably "early intermediate" or maybe "intermediate intermediate" level I would guess - it's 4 pages long, has a very active left hand accompaniment part and has consumed more of my study time (a month and a half) than any other piece I've worked on in my 4 years at this great instrument - and i still don't have it down yet! But it's a beautiful piece and a very nice arrangement and well worth the extra effort!

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1304207 - 11/12/09 05:24 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
IngridT Offline

Loc: Netherlands
AWTPP:

Quote:
Seeing some Satie recommendations... anyone gone that route?

Yep. I did. I have spent summer 2008 working on Gnossiennes 1,2,3,4,5 (6 is still on the list of things to do). I was by that time somewhere in Alfreds book 2 I think. I loved the music, and am still playing them very regularly. Currently I am doing quite a bit of Yann Tiersen next to my alfreds 3 book. Atmosphere wise the music is a bit similar to Satie (listen to the intro of La Valse d'Amelie for example, very Satie-esque), though often a lot faster.

Satie is wonderful to play in the evenings. It makes me feel very relaxed, almost meditative. And it sounds so good, while not being terribly complicated. It's also very satisfying to play certain pieces for a longer period of time. They grow on you. They keep sounding better. With the 'normal' Alfreds oieces it's often learning them, playing them, and then move on to the next. But it's good to see what happens if you allow a piece of music to really become 'yours' (hmm. Does that make sense??)

Ingrid

#1304878 - 11/13/09 03:08 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: IngridT]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
The Wild Rider by Schumann:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU9ReVb5R4s

This is a fun one!

W

#1414234 - 04/09/10 01:41 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Waltz]
Captain Zero Offline

Loc: Mulberry, Florida
It appears this forum is gone quiet for a while too. I just posted a similar thread over in Alfred's Book 1 forum. For supplemental I picked up Alfred's Jazz, Rags & Blues, Book 1 (so far). I am wondering if anyone cares to comment on that series? I don't think I would have ever even look twice at a Rag if I had not found this book. Now I find I do have some interest there. Book 1 is elementary level - but I have to start someplace. I now have some competency (or at least comfort) with the first three pieces in the book and look forward to continuing.

#1680686 - 05/19/11 07:25 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Captain Zero]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)

I am using Alfred's "All Time Favorites #1" as supplement of "Alfred All-In-One #1". It is a nice book with harder pieces (at lest for me). I am in "Lullaby" in Alfred AIO #1

Here are two recordings I made from this book. I am working in the third piece "Symphony Pathetique"

003 - Ach Du Lieber Augustine
http://www.box.net/shared/79dp9ad7c2

004 - Finlandia - Theme
http://www.box.net/shared/f1psvehy2q

I am using also the Gil DeBenedetti web page
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/

I also made some recordings from it. They are from Primer Level but they are no so easy to play as I expect. Clearly, "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Ode to Joy" need more practice.

I purchased more 2 books but I did not start them yet, "Piano Handbook" by Carl Humphries and Bergerac "My First Book of Classical Music"

Edited by fliper (05/19/11 07:30 AM)

#2051991 - 03/21/13 02:21 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: fliper]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Here's an attempt to bring this thread back from the quiet wink

My rendition of Ach, Du Lieber Augustine, from Alfred's All-Time Favorites Level 1:
https://www.box.com/s/mf0g75ldx2b2xxr2a2fv

#2052654 - 03/22/13 06:12 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: scorpio]
newest student Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
Very nice, Scorpio! I like the All Time Favorites. Finlandia is beating me up a bit, but its slowly coming together.

I like the other Alfred's books too: Sacred Hymns is nice, and while I'm not a huge fan of country, the Basic Piano Country book is fun. I've gotten to the point where I can play The Yellow Rose of Texas and recognize what I'm playing!

#2052691 - 03/22/13 07:43 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: newest student]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

newest student, thank you so much!

I have not tackled Finlandia quite yet. I have too much I am trying to do now. I am currently working on the Blues unit in Book 1; not crazy about it. I also have some repertoire pieces I am working on. Please share you Yellow Rose of Texas; I enjoy listening to the works of others.

#2057235 - 03/31/13 07:48 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

I've just recorded "Love me tender" in Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Book 1. Because I am setf-studying, I hope to receive comments from all of you to correct my unnoticed mistakes ^^!

http://youtu.be/jm7otFLmmDU
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2057266 - 03/31/13 09:06 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mattroilanh_tt
I've just recorded "Love me tender" in Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Greatest Hits, Book 1. Because I am setf-studying, I hope to receive comments from all of you to correct my unnoticed mistakes ^^!

You played it very well...timing and dynamics sounded very good...great job!

#2057271 - 03/31/13 09:12 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark...

Thank you very much. Can you comment about position of my hand? I feel that my wrists move to much. Is there any problem with this?

#2057317 - 03/31/13 11:29 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark...

Thank you very much. Can you comment about position of my hand? I feel that my wrists move to much. Is there any problem with this?

I'm not the person to comment on this, maybe one of the teachers here could comment. Your fingers are nicely curved though and my teacher taught this position.

#2057469 - 03/31/13 05:04 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I am not qualified to comment either although I thought the piece was played well with the melody flowing nicely. As to the movement of your hands I don't see a problem. I would be more worried if your hands were stiff. When you are playing more difficult pieces in the future your hands will be expected to move to give expression to the music.

#2057495 - 03/31/13 06:29 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
RachelEDNC Offline

Hi Mattroilanh_tt,
Great job! It seems from the video you are using arm weight to play notes and not finger dexterity (especially for the RH). To "loosen" your fingers and practice gaining individual finger independence, try going through the piece at half tempo, hands separate. Before playing each individual note, lift the finger up as high as possible. It is important to keep other fingers on the keys when doing this. They will all want to fly haphazardly into the air when you lift one as high as possible (I promise!). It is great and necessary to maintain looseness of the wrist and arm. However, it is important to not just play with your arm. I hope this helps some.

#2057568 - 03/31/13 10:18 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Thanks earlofmar and RachelEDNC for your comment. I hope that the forum has a "thanks" button.

#2076929 - 05/04/13 12:15 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

From Alfred's All Time Favorites Level 1:

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

I had this finished in April for start of the baseball season. But I have been sidetracked, so trying to catch up on my recordings. Go Red Sox!

#2076936 - 05/04/13 12:28 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks earlofmar and RachelEDNC for your comment. I hope that the forum has a "thanks" button.

There used to be a "rate the poster" feature, where you could give a poster a rating from 1-5 stars and the average would appear on their homepage. They removed the feature soon after adding it, many years ago. laugh

Polyphonist

#2076951 - 05/04/13 01:05 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
First class scorpio, very nicely played

#2077024 - 05/04/13 06:42 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: scorpio]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Originally Posted By: scorpio
From Alfred's All Time Favorites Level 1:

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

I had this finished in April for start of the baseball season. But I have been sidetracked, so trying to catch up on my recordings. Go Red Sox!

Well done ^^ Waiting to hear My will Irish rose, Finlandia, Love Story from you ^^

#2077071 - 05/04/13 09:30 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: scorpio]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Very nicely played scorpio, quite jaunty and smooth.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2079540 - 05/08/13 10:32 PM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you all for the kind words.

mattroilanh_tt, I am almost done with My Wild Irish Rose. I just need to get it up to speed. I got this one down pretty quick.

I have so many things I want to try and play, especially tunes far more advanced than my fingers will allow.

#2096832 - 06/06/13 09:11 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Finally went back to "My Wild Irish Rose". I am not excited about the arrangement. I kind of think the chords are pretty mushy; maybe my left hand is too strong here. Overall I spent too much time on this piece.

From Alfred's Basic Adult All-Time Favorites Level 1:

My Wild Irish Rose (https://www.box.com/s/sx5dj4211onwv58mmx4o)

Thank you for listening!

#2096842 - 06/06/13 09:34 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Mark...]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I acquired the Greatest Hits book 1, and tried a few pieces, but I am just not getting into it. I think it is because I have no sentimental value with any of these songs. I couldn't even tell you the name of the Titanic theme song, let alone how it should sound. Looking through the list of songs in the series, it's like they took popular music from the 1970s. It reminds me of this movie soundtrack cassette tape I had when I was a kid, filled with themes such as ET and Poltergeist. I mean, Blue Suede Shoes… Rock Around the Clock… TWO songs from The Sound of Music?

I don't even know what I would expect. I think I just prefer classical music. You don't have to be familiar with the show or words to enjoy classical music. I've put these books aside and just play from the Masterwork Classics series.

#2096857 - 06/06/13 10:06 AM Re: The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread [Re: Daniel Corban]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Daniel Corban
I don't even know what I would expect. I think I just prefer classical music. You don't have to be familiar with the show or words to enjoy classical music. I've put these books aside and just play from the Masterwork Classics series.

Interesting perspective. I have zero familiarity or connection with anything written in the 1700s, yet I can still enjoy it. Same for anything written in the 1970s. I really don't look at it as the "type" of music; I listen for the music. Sure there are some clunkers every now and then, but there are a ton of clunkers in classical proper. In the end, I don't expect to play a lot of "classical" pieces. I enjoy soundtracks and not-so-typical classical arrangements from some brilliant composers.

Having said that, I agree with you that I am less a fan of these supplement books. Except for a few numbers, I am putting these books aside too. I have already moved on to more interesting pieces, at least to me. They are a bit of a stretch for my current level.

For good or bad, I have a lot of "supplement" work going on.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
Yesterday at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Yesterday at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350373 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission