Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2053092 - 03/23/13 06:39 PM Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Last autumn, I was studying the extraordinary 3 etudes by Bartok and also worked on them with a few different teachers in masterclasses and private lessons. I managed to record my masterclass with Psi-Hsien Chen, a wonderful teacher and pianist especially known for performing contemporary music. She had not played them herself but had very specific insights into the what and the how of playing this music. I'm afraid the recorder was placed far away from the stage and I had to normalize the sound afterwards - every now and then, what is said gets distracted from surrounding noise or my playing...Nevertheless, thought I'd share this, in case someone would be interested. Re-learning these pieces now...always interesting going back to masterclasses I've recorded.

Uploaded it here:

http://www.filedropper.com/r090008

In case there'd be trouble with the filedropper link, I also uploaded it here:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=50488.0

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2053095 - 03/23/13 06:51 PM Re: Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For anyone who doesn't know about him, Psi-Hsien studied with the Swedish pianist Hans Leygraf during her postgraduate studies and she is referring to him a little bit during the masterclass. I never got to meet Leygraf (he died last year) but I knew his teachings fairly well from others - it was rather on the pedantical and practical side, and he'd make his diploma students (including Psi-Hsien) go back to playing the first Bach invention in slow tempo. Though I'm not sure how practical that is, Psi-Hsien tried to do some similar things in the Bartok op 18 nr 1 - very slowly at times, to feel every finger, every note, every interval - which I think worked very well.

By the way, I wasn't sure if this is more pianist corner or member recordings material? Admins, feel free to move the thread smile

Edited by fnork (03/24/13 11:00 AM)

#2053170 - 03/23/13 08:57 PM Re: Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen [Re: fnork]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Pi-Hsien Chen (Hochschule fur Musik Freiburg) is Hung-Kuan Chen's (NEC, Yale) sister. Both are outstanding teachers and pianists, and were trained in Germany during their entire childhood, like Uchida. I have been very lucky to have private lessons with them during the past 2 summers.

For those of you who do not know Pi-Hsien, you should check out her Bach Goldberg and Bach Partitas recording. They are simply the best.

Pi-Hsien is a VERY rigorous teacher. If you have multiple lessons with her, you had better fully digest what she taught you in the previous lessons if you want to survive the coming lesson. smile She is the kind of teacher who gives you 200% and expect you put in 100%, not 99%. As a result, my experience with her has been totally worthy.

In addition to Bach, Pi-Hsien plays a lot of those pieces after 1930.

Edited by ABC Vermonter (03/23/13 08:58 PM)

#2053210 - 03/23/13 11:12 PM Re: Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen [Re: ABC Vermonter]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter
[...]
Pi-Hsien is a VERY rigorous teacher. If you have multiple lessons with her, you had better fully digest what she taught you in the previous lessons if you want to survive the coming lesson. smile She is the kind of teacher who gives you 200% and expect you put in 100%, not 99%. As a result, my experience with her has been totally worthy.
[...]

Some explanation would be helpful. What does it mean to "survive" or "not survive"? Does the above mean : "Do it my way, or else!"? I couldn't work with a teacher that inflexible.

Regards,

#2053227 - 03/24/13 12:00 AM Re: Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen [Re: BruceD]
ABC Vermonter Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter
[...]
[...]

Some explanation would be helpful. What does it mean to "survive" or "not survive"? Does the above mean : "Do it my way, or else!"?

Not at all. To "survive" simply means that you would have an entire lesson and not being asked to leave early. She is sharp and insightful; she can tell very quickly how much effort and preparation a student devotes for her lesson given her previous teaching. If you put into efforts and thoughts and respect her time, she is actually super sweet both inside and outside of teaching studio. She gave me her Bach Partitas CD and Mozart Piano Sonatas CD (the latter is not available in the U.S.) as gifts last year. To me, she is a mother figure.

Edited by ABC Vermonter (03/24/13 12:14 AM)

#2053386 - 03/24/13 10:23 AM Re: Masterclass on Bartok op. 18 etudes with Psi-Hsien Chen [Re: fnork]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I only had one hour with Psi-Hsien, but I got very much the same impression of her as a teacher. Also, she's very communicative and is interested in the thoughts of the student as well - nothing of the "do it my way, or else!" in my opinion.

Sorry sorry about the sound quality - I listened this through again, and while I remember the whole masterclass clearly, some things do get blurred and it's hard to hear what's being said. I wonder if there's anything more I can do about the sound quality than just normalizing it...

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (BarryR, anotherscott, 36251, aesop, barbaram, 21 invisible), 1209 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303938 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission