Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2052911 - 03/23/13 11:23 AM Buying without actual trying it, your thought?
ec168 Offline

Greeting to everyone and I am new here!

I am not a piano player and we are shopping for a piano for my son. We tried on a Boston PE178 which he likes and Kawai. He is ok'ed with a RX2 (a lukewarm feeling), RX3 is better but still likes the Boston more. Our next is to try on a RX5 because the dealer is offering us a screaming deal since Kawai is coming out with new models to replace the RXs and the 5 has extra promotion. Unfortunately this dealer does not have it in stock and need to order from Kawai from Southern Cal (we are in Northern Cal), I found another dealer 60 miles away who has a RX5 on the floor, so we are going to driver there today.

What it comes down is pricing and from what I read, Boston and Kawai are both fine pianos. The PE178 is substaintally more than a RX2 (it is already discounted to the bottom with no extra room to negotiate), and the RX5 is still much more price competitive than the PE178. It is hard to swallow the price difference and the Boston dealer starts telling me Kawai uses plastic parts (the ABS with carbon coating to be exact) and Boston doesn't, it didn't resonate too well with me. It seems that Kawai's "plastic" is a different technology and really isn't as bad it sounds. Any comment on this?

Assuming my son likes the RX5 today, if we buy from my local dealer, am I taking a high risk? This dealer is a very nice honest guy, I just would like to give him the business. Any advise will be great.

Edited by ec168 (03/23/13 01:03 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2052917 - 03/23/13 11:39 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Does your son like the Boston better because of the action or because of the sound?
The action of a Kawai RX-2 or RX-3 will probably be identical to the action of a Kawai RX-5; but the RX-5 will be more powerful.

So if your son prefers the Boston because of the action, he will probably still prefer a PE-178 over an RX-5.
But when it is a sound issue, then maybe you can compare different sizes of other brands; like Yamaha C3 vs. Yamaha C5, or Bechstein A.175 vs. Bechstein A.190 or A.208. The differences in sound between the longer and shorter models might give you an idea on what to expect from an RX-5 compared to an RX-3.

EDIT: Just read your post more carefully. Your son will try out an RX-5, so my previous advice does not apply.
I don't think you will take a high risk in buying the piano from your local dealer, as long as you have tried out another model of the same line.
Just one advice: Your son should also try out a smaller Kawai (RX-2 or RX-3) at the place where he tries out the RX-5; in case the two piano dealers have a different way of regulating their pianos. If the RX-3 will sound like from your local dealer, then there shouldn't be a difference between the RX-5 pianos either.

Edited by patH (03/23/13 11:47 AM)
Edit Reason: Clearing up misunderstanding

#2052920 - 03/23/13 11:50 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

A well voiced RX5 can be a very nice piano and this person here would prefer it to a 178 Boston (*). But you should not make a choice without actually trying under suitable circumstances (e.g. both pianos properly set up in comparable rooms).

Both pianos are actually made in Kawai factories. So it's really about sound and action. - About the ABS carbon I would not worry at all. I love my little Shigeru Kawai SK-2 with a similar action.

*Actually, when looking around for my own grand, I compared with several (and larger) Boston pianos, and I did not like their sound.

#2052926 - 03/23/13 12:04 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
My purely personal preference (others feel differently) is for the RX5.

It's a good piano, and I would heavily discount criticism of it coming from someone trying to sell you something else.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2052929 - 03/23/13 12:08 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
ec168

I sent you a PM

#2052937 - 03/23/13 12:30 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: ec168

What it comes down is pricing and from what I read, Boston and Kawai are both fine pianos. The PE178 is almost 50% more than a RX2 (it is already discounted to the bottom with no extra room to negotiate), and the RX5 is 20% less than the PE178. It is hard to swallow the price difference and the Boston dealer starts telling me Kawai uses plastic parts (the ABS with carbon coating to be exact) and Boston doesn't, it didn't resonate too well with me. It seems that Kawai's "plastic" is a different technology and really isn't as bad it sounds. Any comment on this?

Assuming my son likes the RX5 today, if we buy from my local dealer, am I taking a high risk? This dealer is a very nice honest guy, I just would like to give him the business. Any advise will be great.

Please don't buy that "plastic action" nonsense from the Boston dealer. The carbon fiber millennium action in the Kawai RX series has an excellent track record and is more stable than a traditional wood action.

Being built in the same factory by the same workers, the Boston and Kawai RX pianos are of comparable build quality.

When shopping for pianos - or anything else for that matter - I prefer to give my business to "nice honest" folks.

Good luck with your decision.

#2052946 - 03/23/13 01:04 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ec168 Offline

Thank you for everybody's input and help. We will let you know after today!

Pls continue to provide feedback, more is better and more is welcome.

#2052961 - 03/23/13 01:55 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Bosendorff Offline

Hello ec168,

Often, the Steinway/Boston/Essex are more difficult to find so their prices are higher for that reason. But if budget is not a problem, then the most important is indeed that your son likes the sound and touch of the piano. So supposing he has good experience already playing pianos, unless he prefers the Kawai you will test soon, I would go with the Boston since he either prefers its touch or sound or both. Of course, another important consideration is how you feel with the folks at the piano store.

Also, there might be other brands and models you still haven't tried that could end up even better. Take your time to test many other pianos and happy shopping.

#2052973 - 03/23/13 02:34 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...the Boston dealer starts telling me Kawai uses plastic parts (the ABS with carbon coating to be exact) and Boston doesn't, it didn't resonate too well with me. It seems that Kawai's "plastic" is a different technology and really isn't as bad it sounds. Any comment on this?"

Yes: the Boston dealer is a skank and a liar. You can read what Kawai has to say about their ABS and carbon-fiber action components from their own website http://kawaius.com/main_links/grands_09/grandmain_09.html

It seems legitimate to me to give the business to a dealer you like, and whose place of business is convenient. A 60-mile trip to try out the model you're interested in is worthwhile. Things being equal, it's more desirable to buy the piano you try... but, things are not equal. A good tech to see you through the first few years is probably more important.

I got the RX-5 because it played and sounded the best. I can't say what your son will like. It does have a big voice. But if I had it to do over, I'd get the RX-6 or -7--- not that I could fit them in my living-room. But, that long-string sound. All things considered, the RX-5 was a good choice for me. I've played and examined quite a few grands since, and I find that the build quality of the Kawai is better than most, particularly at the price point.

Speaking only for myself, I find that the action and the keyset of the Boston grand feels klunky compared to the MIII in the Kawai. Also, the Neotex keytops feel and look better than the slick plastic keytops of the Boston. But, there you are: I bought what I liked best.

#2053006 - 03/23/13 03:40 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: Bosendorff]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Bosendorff
Often, the Steinway/Boston/Essex are more difficult to find so their prices are higher for that reason.
Whether a certain piano is more difficult to find depends on the buyer's location and is not directly related to the price.

#2053008 - 03/23/13 03:41 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
None of the pianos are considered entry level and I am assuming that your son already has decent playing skills. His opinion is very important in the selection of the instrument he will be practicing on. If he finds he likes the RX-5, it would be appropriate for him.

Kawai is one of the builders who provides very high consistency in a given model size, piano to piano. Amazingly so, IMO. The "test piano" will have very little variance from the "blind selection." The larger difference that will be noticed is the acoustical variation from any dealership to your home acoustics.

The composite action in the Kawai is a proven commodity. Don't fall for a sales ploy of a competitor. I consider the Kawai actions to be more consistent between "twins" than I do with the Boston. With a Boston, I would insist on the instrument that I had played. They are very good pianos, also.

If all things fall into place in the final selection, and you can purchase through a dealer that you know and trust, all the better.

Looking forward to the results of the shopping trip.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2053033 - 03/23/13 04:21 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: carey]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: carey

Please don't buy that "plastic action" nonsense from the Boston dealer. The carbon fiber millennium action in the Kawai RX series has an excellent track record and is more stable than a traditional wood action.

Well said. Kawai's action is proven by now - it's not an unknown factor.

Buying a Kawai RX isn't a risky purchase at all.
Do they vary much from one to another? In my experience not really.

#2053124 - 03/23/13 07:41 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
If the rx5 is new and price is hard to pass awat I dont see any problem.
I prefer kawai over Boston.
At 6'6 your looking at a full size highly regarded piano by professionals.

#2053165 - 03/23/13 08:48 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
If your son really likes the RX5 and you decide to order one through your local dealer, will the dealer prep it to your son's satisfaction? Kawaii is renouned for their consistency and quality, but every piano is a little different....and every dealer has their own method of prepping a new piano. Maybe I'm a little too cautious, but if you and your son decide to order the RX5, ask your local dealer about all the "what ifs". If your son still prefers the Boston, have him try that Boston on several different days to be sure. And of course, you could certainly expand your search and have your son try other brands in that size and price range.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#2053246 - 03/24/13 12:57 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ec168 Offline

Thank you so much for all of your valuable input, really appreciate it. All your respond put me at ease of getting a RX5 at the dealer who we trusts.

We did drive the distance to try out the RX5, it is a beautiful piano and my son does like the sound of it and interesting enough, the shop also has a 10 years old Boston 178PE, he played both and "finally" feel the same action on both of them.

Thanks again and I think I should start learning piano so that I maximize our spent. My son is a young kid and he is really fortunate to have a piano of his choice.

I will update all of you later.

#2053320 - 03/24/13 07:57 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
We did drive the distance to try out the RX5, it is a beautiful piano and my son does like the sound of it and interesting enough, the shop also has a 10 years old Boston 178PE, he played both and "finally" feel the same action on both of them.

Thanks again and I think I should start learning piano so that I maximize our spent. My son is a young kid and he is really fortunate to have a piano of his choice.

In my opinion, he's fortunate to have a father who so much cares about and is committed to his son -- piano or no piano!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2053483 - 03/24/13 01:29 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...he's fortunate to have a father who so much cares about and is committed to his son..."

Right. I think the same thing--- actually, that you're both lucky. This is a strong foundation to build a life on.

#2053500 - 03/24/13 01:51 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
...Thanks again and I think I should start learning piano so that I maximize our spent. My son is a young kid and he is really fortunate to have a piano of his choice.

If you decide to change that to a Shigeru. Will you adopt me?
Seriously...Congratulations on getting your son a really good piano.
I think you'd enjoy learning. First thing is you'll be impressed at the sophistication of your nervous system to each and every finger. Your hands become a whole lot more. I think you'll just plain enjoy it. Especially with that piano.

#2053516 - 03/24/13 02:14 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ec168 Offline

Well, well.... relationship goes both way. I can say our son is lucky, but we are fortunate to have a decent kid (being my only one too!) and just hope that he will grow up this way.

I am fortunate to have very lovely caring parents and I think I do turn out to be quite "okay". As parents, we give and we appreciate and we all want to be a better person tomorrow than today.

Ron... if we change to a Shigeru, we will let you know. But adoption might be a stretch, LOL!!

As a matter of fact, he did try on a Shigeru (SK 3), it is a VERY NICE piano and that particular salesman was trying to sell it to us instaed of a RX5. Well, something for my son to work on to be his upgrade when he grows up becasue really loves that piano.

#2053637 - 03/24/13 06:49 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Your son seems to have very good taste!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2055026 - 03/27/13 09:36 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ec168 Offline

Thanks to everybody's input. We ordered a RX5, our wonderful local dealer will prep the piano in his shop first with couple tunings. My son can be there after the first tuning and provides his "comments", then he will tune it for us again. This has been quite an experience for us in the past two months and I am glad that we picked the RX5.

Anybody interests in buying a Kawai or some sort of used pianos (which my local dealer has a lot on his floor) in SF/Bay Area/Silicon Valley areas, please PM me and I will give you the address in case you don't know yet.

#2055399 - 03/27/13 11:31 PM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
BobInAZ Offline

Wow! Enjoy your son playing it! We love our RX-2. It's funny that a shop near Santana Row was instrumental in our acquisition of our Kawai here in AZ.

Post pictures when it arrives!

Bob

#2055454 - 03/28/13 02:20 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
our wonderful local dealer will prep the piano in his shop first with couple tunings. My son can be there after the first tuning and provides his "comments", then he will tune it for us again.

Excellent - the dealer is providing a high level of service. I would suggest having your son spend some time with the piano when he goes to see it (1hour+ if you can). He's played a number of good pianos now, and so he might have some meaningful details to ask for from the technician.

Congrats on the piano!!!

#2055569 - 03/28/13 10:14 AM Re: Buying without actual trying it, your thought? [Re: ec168]
ec168 Offline

My dealer is located in the Bay Area, he is the best and most honest person you can ever found. If you don't know who he is, send me a PM.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (AndrewJCW, Austin D, AndreiN, Atrys, Anticlock, 22 invisible), 1174 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
Yesterday at 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission