2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by LFL
...Check out how I placed my reently obtained piano in the photos I put on the thread: "SK5 delivered".

I did a search on SK5 Delivered. 100 Results. Not one matched that thread title?

How did this get off on a discussion of architecture, track, and spec. homes?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
LFL Offline
L
sorry, should have just given the link: https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2009037/SK5_delivered_followup_from_ol.html&sa=U&ei=rnhPUajFM4TE2gXiooCgDQ&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFo05ZiOa7KBrLDPFBSFuklvNgJUw

Hope this works and maybe helps the OP.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LFL
Hope this works and maybe helps the OP.

Everything on here is helping me -- including the debate on what "spec" means! thumb

BTW, "specifications" and "speculation" were exactly the two possibilities I was guessing. The immediate context of the post seemed to suggest "speculation" (I'm aware of spec homes, which BTW are very often built before having any buyer) but the context of the thread seemed to suggest the other, so I just didn't know, and figured maybe it was something else entirely.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
What is important is the discussion of the success of a large piano in a low ceiling space. To Rebuild, or Not to Rebuild, is a secondary question. Mark, barn raising parties were once common, how about a ceiling raising party?

LFL - Could you edit your post using "link to a webpage" feature in the full reply screen? It is located just to the right of the "emoticon" insertion button. That long URL has made this post difficult to read. - Thanks.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
In a perfect world, we would all live in homes with a music room that was acoustically perfect for our (also perfect) piano and music set-up. But in the real world, we can all put up with a room that is serviceable and possibly improvable, at least for a few years. A rug here, a couch there. In my case, I had to put a two-story drape over a naked sheetrock wall to tame the sound reflections that were going head-to-head. A 16-foot ceiling is not necessarily All That.

If you really don't find that it will serve, you can move up more easily than you can tear out a ceiling (which will create a white elephant for some poor realtor to deal with). Anyway, the contractors are all used up, for the time being. In a few years there will be more (and new) housing stock.

I'm really sorry you had to suffer through Sandy--- and Congress's behavior was almost worse than the storm. And considering the novelty of a weather system that was a hurricane on the front side and a blizzard on the back side, that is saying something.

Clef

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
Knowing,(somewhat) what the piano means to you, and under your circumstance (opportunity?), were I in your shoes, I would look for a home that offered an ideal piano room. I would not consider a home, that compromised the sound or performance aspect of the piano. I would want a home with a piano room that called to me every time I walked by it.

+1

Having shopped for, bought, and renovated several houses so far in my life, I can say with confidence there is no such thing as a perfect house. But it is entirely possible to find one that hits all the important criteria. There aren't as many decisions as important as house-buying. Take your time to wait until you feel good about your choice.

M
M
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Knowing,(somewhat) what the piano means to you, and under your circumstance (opportunity?), were I in your shoes, I would look for a home that offered an ideal piano room. I would not consider a home, that compromised the sound or performance aspect of the piano. I would want a home with a piano room that called to me every time I walked by it.

+1

Having shopped for, bought, and renovated several houses so far in my life, I can say with confidence there is no such thing as a perfect house. But it is entirely possible to find one that hits all the important criteria. There aren't as many decisions as important as house-buying. Take your time to wait until you feel good about your choice.

I, too, had this as a part of my criteria when searching for a home in FL. If we didn't have a room that would mainly be occupied by my piano and also have another room that could serve as our den and dining area, then it was not in consideration. I think it's pretty much a buyer's market these days (but not sure of NY), so keep your eyes open for something else.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline

+1

....There aren't as many decisions as important as house-buying. Take your time to wait until you feel good about your choice.

In theory, I agree.
But we can't. smile

Originally Posted by Morodiene
.... I think it's pretty much a buyer's market these days (but not sure of NY), so keep your eyes open for something else.

It's an extreme seller's market -- maybe as extreme as there has ever been.

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
....I'm really sorry you had to suffer through Sandy --- and Congress's behavior was almost worse than the storm. And considering the novelty of a weather system that was a hurricane on the front side and a blizzard on the back side, that is saying something.

Thanks, Jeff -- and thanks to everyone again for the sympathy and well wishes. And well said about the political aspects, but....happily we at least aren't affected by that. We're well covered by insurance (unusually well covered), to the point that when we see stuff in the media about victims of the storm, we hardly identify with it. Our life has been turned upside down, but we're far more fortunate than most.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
....We're in the affected area too, but up on a hill...people down at the waterfront had it bad.

Oddly, while we're not far from the water, water had nothing to do with it. (We're sort of up on a hill too!) Huge old tree (huge!) got blown over and fell on house -- from long distance, meaning that it had great velocity.

M
M
I can't help but think how lucky your piano wasn't ruined along with the house!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I can't help but think how lucky your piano wasn't ruined along with the house!

I've been surprised how one of the first questions I got from almost everybody, including friends who aren't into piano or classical music, was "Did anything happen to the piano?"

Originally Posted by Mark_C

+1

....There aren't as many decisions as important as house-buying. Take your time to wait until you feel good about your choice.

In theory, I agree.
But we can't. smile

I concede it must be terribly frustrating and difficult to be house-hunting when your present home is badly damaged (and I'm guessing not able to be occupied).

Would it be possible to take on a short-term rental/lease that would give you someplace to live while you take your time to find/build a house more to your liking? Yeah, moving twice is a pain and an uproar, but I keep coming back to the point that this is a decision you want to be happy with for years.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....Would it be possible to take on a short-term rental/lease that would give you someplace to live while you take your time to find/build a house more to your liking? Yeah, moving twice is a pain and an uproar, but I keep coming back to the point that this is a decision you want to be happy with for years.

We have such a lease. It's what has allowed us to have some semblance of normality and order to this whole thing -- but it's not a whole lot of normality and order. It has been a very great strain, and our need to get settled again is a very big factor. So yes, I'm more willing to take some chance on this acoustics thing than to just keep waiting. But I wouldn't do it unless it seemed there was a good chance that it could work quite well -- which was why I did this thread. The replies have been extremely helpful.

Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home? Would the sellers even consent to a trial like that? Yeah, it would be pretty expensive. But in the large scheme of things (how much the house is going to cost, and how long you'll be there), it may be worth it for the peace of mind.

Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home? Would the sellers even consent to a trial like that? Yeah, it would be pretty expensive. But in the large scheme of things (how much the house is going to cost, and how long you'll be there), it may be worth it for the peace of mind.
Very interesting and I think good idea. Even better if the room is still furnished.

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Other thoughts...

In this house you're considering. If it doesn't work out with the piano. Is it one that you can add a room on the back of the house for the piano?

How about just having a doublewide trailer moved onto your property. Then, when you can. Rebuild your house. Might even rent the trailer.

You can estimate the acoustics of the room by walking around it and clapping your hands. It will let you know where to put the piano.

I would consider tearing the ceiling out. Filling it with acoustic insulation. Then acoustic ceiling put back in. Should take care of the low ceiling problem.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home?....

Tremendous idea -- but no, it's not possible, for several reasons.
Main reason: The seller would have no reason to consider it, because it's such a hot market for sellers of such properties that there would be plenty of easier buyers to turn to.

And secondly, in view of the above, to have any chance for the house, we needed to proceed quickly -- and we did. (It was a multiple-bid situation, with several other buyers also fighting for it.) It's now a done deal. We signed the contract yesterday.

All of the suggestions in this thread have been very good, but some assumed a more leisurely situation than what this was -- first of all because of our personal situation, and even more so because of the current market. That's why I needed just to get the best prospective info I could -- which I felt I did from this discussion and the similar one on Pianist Corner -- and to decide if the outlook seemed favorable enough, which I thought it did. Sometimes you just have to take a chance, and I wound up thinking that this easily was a good enough chance, especially in view of all the options that have been noted. I would have loved to reduce the chance of error to 0, but I couldn't.

Originally Posted by rnaple
Other thoughts...

In this house you're considering. If it doesn't work out with the piano. Is it one that you can add a room on the back of the house for the piano?

Good idea too, but no, that's not possible because there isn't enough land. Otherwise we definitely would have considered it.

....I would consider tearing the ceiling out. Filling it with acoustic insulation. Then acoustic ceiling put back in. Should take care of the low ceiling problem.

We are thinking of something like that. We'll be discussing the whole thing with our personnel (architect, engineer, contractor, whomever) and even before moving the piano or anything else into the house, we may just do it.

The important thing is that you got the house you wanted, and I feel confident you will be able to work out the acoustics one way or the other. smile Congratulations, and I am sure you and your family will be tremendously glad to move into your new home.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Monica!
And really, thanks to everyone who helped on this thread and the one on Pianist Corner. The perspectives and information that I got here enabled me to feel OK about going ahead. And don't worry -- if it happens not to work out, I won't be blaming you! ha

I'm sure enough that it'll be fine. thumb

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Update:

IT'S GREAT.

The house was finally ready for us to move in, and I was thrilled to find that the acoustics are more than fine -- less resonance than there would be with a higher ceiling, but real good nevertheless, and somehow a very rich sound.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread. It really did help me be confident that it was likely this would be all right, maybe if necessary with some extra work -- and I was thrilled to find that it's good just as it is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission