Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
101 registered (661-Pete, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, Barry1963, Beemer, 34 invisible), 1340 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2052668 - 03/22/13 06:38 PM Taking the plunge
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
After researching what is available, I thought I'd enter the 21st century and try out a Fujan lever.

Please, tell me I'm doing the right thing...

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2052669 - 03/22/13 06:41 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
I love mine!

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2052690 - 03/22/13 07:40 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
DavidWB Offline

Loc: Grand Junction CO
If I were you, I'd also check out hammers made by Charles Faulk.

#2052693 - 03/22/13 07:49 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: DavidWB]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DavidWB
If I were you, I'd also check out hammers made by Charles Faulk.

I did. It looks like a lot of his aren't available, and I'm not wild about having a knob on the end of the handle. I'm getting the 13" Fujan with a straight handle.

#2052695 - 03/22/13 07:51 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, it could come in handy when doing 100-200 cent pitch raises on pianos with Delignit blocks. Just sayin'.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2052709 - 03/22/13 08:34 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
You did the right thing! It really does eliminate a variable that wastes bairn and muscle power - compensating for flexing of the shaft in traditional levers. It gives a very positive direct feel of connection to the pin. I have briefly tried a Faulk lever too, and it's good as well. But I do prefer my Fujan.

#2052774 - 03/23/13 01:38 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Jim Moy Offline

Loc: Fort Collins - Loveland, CO
I've got one, and never regretted the purchase. Many people talk about the stiffness, but for me the weight is probably as significant a factor (it's very light).
http://www.moypiano.com

#2052777 - 03/23/13 01:56 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks, all.

This will be a big step for me; I bought my Hale extension lever from Tuner's Supply back in 1976.

#2053228 - 03/24/13 12:10 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Jim, I'm also considering the Fujan lever. I'd like your feed-back if you decide to order one. What tip and head set up are you going to use? And, I'm wondering what your objections to the rounded ball handle end are? I often wish my hammer had one because its a comfortable arm position that reduces flag poling effect on the pin.

#2053260 - 03/24/13 01:44 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: Dave B]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Jim, I'm also considering the Fujan lever. I'd like your feed-back if you decide to order one. What tip and head set up are you going to use? And, I'm wondering what your objections to the rounded ball handle end are? I often wish my hammer had one because its a comfortable arm position that reduces flag poling effect on the pin.

I'll be more than happy to!

In reading up on it, I came across this article by an RPT by the name Michael Musial. I really liked how he went about his research and could relate to his perspective. So, based on his experience and recommendations, I went with the long tube with the straight extension handle, the 10 degree head with the 5/8" extension; I saw the logic in his choices.

I have yet to tune with a ball handle end, and have only held a few of them. They feel clumsy to me. I can probably blame that on motorcycle riding more than anything else; I like the feel of something the diameter of a motorcycle grip, where I can wrap my hand around it easily if I want.

I can always go back and add a ball end if I want later.

I think another part of it is my backward tuning technique; I tune left-handed, with the handle usually in the 9:30-11:30 position. FWIW, I've never had an issue with flag-poling, and I'm inclined to believe my handle position has something to do with that.

#2053280 - 03/24/13 05:02 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
robnewman Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Had mine for a couple of years now. It cost an arm and leg to get it over here (UK), but worth every penny. Does just what I want it to do. Occasionally have to revert back to old Steinway pattern leaver (oblong pins, thin walled head etc), and the difference in stability is stark

#2053418 - 03/24/13 11:23 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
I have exactly the same set up as Michael on my Fujan, 10 deg head with the 5/8 extention. I made a 1/2" extention on my lathe which has a 5 degree bias indexed on it for some grands with higher struts.

Although I got the big rosewood knob for the end, I never warmed up to it. It feels unnatural after tuning many years with a conventional straight hammer. I think that knob actually weighs as much or more than the whole carbon tube does FWIW. Considering that the exceptional lightness of this hammer is one of its best attributes, a big solid wood knob just doesn't fit the bill for me.

I ended up molding a straight cap to cover the end threads out of polymorph plastic. This lets me tune farther up into the treble on grands before I stand and step around the edge for the last few notes. That big knob would always want to bang into the edge of the rim.

#2053433 - 03/24/13 11:56 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Emmery. That increases my data point spread. laugh

#2053435 - 03/24/13 11:59 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just a thought about this.

To me, this is kind of like riding a motorcycle or playing golf: The tool should enhance the preexisting skill, not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so to speak. I.e., if I'm a lousy tuner to begin with, this lever isn't going to magically make me into a good one. Conversely, if I'm a good tuner to begin with, this lever should make my job that much easier. Or, at least, that's how I see it.

#2053454 - 03/24/13 12:26 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
My feeling as well. I tried one, and did not like it. Having spent years building up a technique, there was no advantage changing it for a new tool.

#2053458 - 03/24/13 12:31 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What do you use, BDB?

#2053462 - 03/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have two old Schaff plastic (or rubber) handled extension levers. (I recommend that professionals have two of every tool that they use daily on hand, so if something happens to one, you are not stuck.)

#2053536 - 03/24/13 03:14 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: BDB]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I have two old Schaff plastic (or rubber) handled extension levers. (I recommend that professionals have two of every tool that they use daily on hand, so if something happens to one, you are not stuck.)

That's what I have, but I only have one. I guess that might be another reason to get the Fujan... wink

#2053776 - 03/25/13 02:08 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Bruce, I was worried about having to change my technique too when I got my Fujan. Nothing really changes. I still sweep, twist, tap and nudge the hammer the same way as I always did, its just incredibly stiff and light, so the tactile feedback is heightened and this lends to smaller movements being more exact. I would not want to go back to my old hammer now, but as you suggested, I keep it with me as a spare.

#2056901 - 03/30/13 02:18 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: Emmery]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
Bruce, I was worried about having to change my technique too when I got my Fujan. Nothing really changes. I still sweep, twist, tap and nudge the hammer the same way as I always did, its just incredibly stiff and light, so the tactile feedback is heightened and this lends to smaller movements being more exact. I would not want to go back to my old hammer now, but as you suggested, I keep it with me as a spare.

It arrived today.

This is my concern as well, so it's nice to read what you have to say about the difference, Emmery. I'm looking forward to using it this week. I have to touch up a couple of notes on my piano, then I think I'll use it at the Shout House next.

I am amazed at the difference in weight, and I like the feel of it in my hand. I think I'm going to be glad I went with the straight handle extension.

I assume I can use my regular tip wrench?

#2056957 - 03/30/13 04:17 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I bought the ball end with mine, but I felt it was too large and round. I used a belt sander and made it smaller, and more of a pear shape. I tried my older cigar shape lever and I missed the pear shaped handle.
All pianos are bald ones.

#2057019 - 03/30/13 06:31 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Yippee! You have made the right choice. I have a straight handle and the ball. I like to use the ball on grands and the straight on verticals. Also, on the grand I have the 20 degree head. I have really ended up liking it on grands and even some verticals that have a real thick plate so it's hard to get to the pins.

The inventor, Steve Fujan, is from my hometown, Lincoln, NE. He's lived in Oklahoma for a long time now but still has family here. I had a problem with the threads on my head and he was coming to visit so came to my house and swapped out the part for no charge.

By the way, if you want a super light lever leave the end off of it and put a plastic cap that goes on a chair leg on it. It's handy too if you're tuning an Acrosonic-the kind where the whole top lifts up.

Enjoy!
www.thattuningguy.com

#2057027 - 03/30/13 06:48 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: That Guy]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: That Guy
Yippee! You have made the right choice. I have a straight handle and the ball. I like to use the ball on grands and the straight on verticals. Also, on the grand I have the 20 degree head. I have really ended up liking it on grands and even some verticals that have a real thick plate so it's hard to get to the pins.

The inventor, Steve Fujan, is from my hometown, Lincoln, NE. He's lived in Oklahoma for a long time now but still has family here. I had a problem with the threads on my head and he was coming to visit so came to my house and swapped out the part for no charge.

By the way, if you want a super light lever leave the end off of it and put a plastic cap that goes on a chair leg on it. It's handy too if you're tuning an Acrosonic-the kind where the whole top lifts up.

Enjoy!

I have had excellent service with Mr. Fujan as well! I bought an aluminum Fujan about a month before the carbon fiber came out. He gracefully replaced it. I only had to pay the difference in price. He even included a 5/8" extension no charge.

I like your idea of removing the handle and putting some kind of rubber cap on in difficult and tight spaces!

Thanks!

www.actionpiano.ca

#2058303 - 04/02/13 12:52 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I used the Fujan for the first time today on one of my more problematic pianos; a 1980 Baldwin SF-10, with the many-laminationed pin block and jumpy pins.

What an incredible difference it made in the ability to make small, precise, movements! I tuned with both the tip and handle extensions, and it felt great.

I'm also very happy I chose the straight handle extension; It felt completely normal to grip.

Also, a LOT less effort.

Money well spent.

#2058578 - 04/03/13 07:47 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Great!

I find that the Fujan really does give a very firm sense of connection to, and control over, the pin. No brain or arm power are wasted in computing and correcting for flexing in the shaft of the lever.

#2063095 - 04/11/13 07:45 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Update:

After two weeks of using it, I think my tuning time is as much as 1/3 shorter than it used to be. This lever rocks!

#2063105 - 04/11/13 08:21 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's what happened to me when I got it.

I especially like the texture of carbon fiber when handling from pin to pin. Or "choking" when nudging.

Top of the line for sure.

www.actionpiano.ca

#2063147 - 04/11/13 09:55 PM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: OperaTenor]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
And thus: the debut of Le Petite Shout House

Phew! I'm outta here.

Oops - fergot me beer!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2063240 - 04/12/13 01:26 AM Re: Taking the plunge [Re: Minnesota Marty]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
And thus: the debut of Le Petite Shout House

Phew! I'm outta here.

Oops - fergot me beer!

laugh

Funny you mention the Shout House...

I tuned both pianos in an hour today.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350400 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission