2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by wr
I had a neighbor living in a second-floor apartment who went to enormous expense not only to acquire a grand piano, but to remove a window and its frame so as to slide the thing, which was dangling from a crane that had been hired, through the opening and into the apartment, because the stairwell was too tight to get it in via that more normal route. And after all that, it was never played at all, but just sat there, apparently as some kind of symbol of something.
So what? No one's reason or motive or buying a grand piano is any better or worse than anyone else's reason.

Interesting thought.

So when a person buys a bushel of rice to dump it into a ditch, this is the same as someone buying a bushel of rice and distributing it to the poor and hungry. All purchase motives are equal.
I was speaking about pianos and not rice. When I said that anyone's reason for buying a piano being just as good as anyone else's, I was thinking of at least reasonable motives.

But I do strongly object to those who complain about someone buying a piano only as furniture or for status or because they think it's nice to have, etc..
Who is the arbiter of what is reasonable? Pianoloverus, I presume?
If you actually think using a piano to commit murder and using a piano as furniture are equally reasonable or equally unreasonable you are in a very tiny minority.

Now this was interesting...how to commit murder with a piano...You cannot really hit anyone in the head with it...unless you are a giant...I guess if it's a grand you could ask someone to look at the strings very closely and then slam the lid...

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you: Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I can only feel sorry for you.

Thanks, but it isn't necessary. I'm quite happy.

Online Content
There already has been a film where someone was killed by having a piano lid smashed on their head a few times.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

Or maybe to Tom and Jerry? wink
There was already a short T&J movie where Tom gets killed by a piano while chasing Jerry. Then he ascends to heaven, where he is told that he has one hour to make Jerry forgive him, otherwise he'll end up in heck. And at the end:
Tom wakes up, and it was all a dream.

EDIT: The board is replacing h e l l with h e c k? What the heck?

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by patH

EDIT: The board is replacing h e l l with h e c k? What the heck?

ha I always get a chuckle when people discover this little curiosity (as I did a couple of months ago). I would assume the software should allow for a customized verboten list, but whoever maintains it must take particular offense to the 'h' word.

But if it's any consolation, you are free to use "damn" and "bullshit" with reckless abandon! laugh

Last edited by Old Man; 03/22/13 02:55 PM.
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Old Man
....But if it's any consolation, you are free to use "damn" and "bullshit" with reckless abandon! laugh

OK -- dare we see what happens with "----"?

(There -- I just saw. And then deleted the word from what I had typed before posting this.) ha

What comes out:

[censored]

B
B
I sense a Hollywood blockbuster coming to a screen near you Death by Piano......(which pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock).

There was already a short T&J movie where Tom gets killed by a piano while chasing Jerry. Then he ascends to heaven, where he is told that he has one hour to make Jerry forgive him, otherwise he'll end up in heck. And at the end:

I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S. grin

My idea involves a new piano competition where competitors have to play on a brand new 110-key grand designed by the founder of the competition, who also composed a concerto that all finalists must play.

Competitors start disappearing mysteriously as they begin practicing on the amazing Böstéînfåzyám piano, trying desperately to master the intractable difficulties of the 90 minute concerto. Everyone thought they were getting cold feet, and pulling out one by one, but too embarrassed to let the organisers know they were flying off home.

Then people began noticing that the piano was 'developing' more and more keys, and its tone was getting more mellifluous as competitors disappeared off into the ether. One of the favored pianists put a hidden video camera to see what was happening during the practice sessions....... wink

....and saw, to her horror, that when the pianist played a wrong note, the piano lid suddenly expanded and curled out, and turned into a huge upper jaw to gobble up the hapless pianist, sucking him into its innards.........grin

Last edited by bennevis; 03/22/13 05:20 PM. Reason: continuing my script ....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S.... grin

Great post, and excellent choice! ha

I think it could also work with Quentin Tarantino, or by exhuming Alfred Hitchcock....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S. grin

I can already imagine titles for this movie.

Pianormal Activity
The Last Concerto

Tagline: Some keys should never be used...

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I think we should all get together to write a script for a new B-movie, using all the latest CGI technology, which might interest a Mr. Steven S.... grin

Great post, and excellent choice! ha

I think it could also work with Quentin Tarantino, or by exhuming Alfred Hitchcock....

Hey, I'd watch it. I think it could actually work. Sort of a cyberage version of the Mephisto Waltz. (Alan Alda, not Liszt)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

My idea involves a new piano competition where competitors have to play on a brand new 110-key grand designed by the founder of the competition, who also composed a concerto that all finalists must play.

Competitors start disappearing mysteriously as they begin practicing on the amazing Böstéînfåzyám piano, trying desperately to master the intractable difficulties of the 90 minute concerto. Everyone thought they were getting cold feet, and pulling out one by one, but too embarrassed to let the organisers know they were flying off home.

Then people began noticing that the piano was 'developing' more and more keys, and its tone was getting more mellifluous as competitors disappeared off into the ether. One of the favored pianists put a hidden video camera to see what was happening during the practice sessions....... wink

....and saw, to her horror, that when the pianist played a wrong note, the piano lid suddenly expanded and curled out, and turned into a huge upper jaw to gobble up the hapless pianist, sucking him into its innards.........grin

Can't wait, never could resist B-horror...

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Lemon Pledge +1. Speakers suck at reproducing piano sound. Maybe the speaker approach is flawed completely. But the elecronic sound boards are not really much better either. So my vote is 'no'

But I realize that many people don't hear the difference so 'democracy' may determine otherwise...

Last edited by wouter79; 03/23/13 09:16 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79

But I realize that many people don't hear the difference so 'democracy' may determine otherwise...

Not "democracy." Captitalism.

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Captitalism sounds like the economy of the red light district...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek

And capitalism says: As long as there are people willing to shell out good money for quality acoustic instruments, they (the acoustic instruments) won't die out.

The instruments that will possibly die out are the cheaply made acoustic instruments, with mediocre sound and not-so-great action. Because these instruments don't offer more value for their money than good digital pianos. But who knows; maybe people who buy pianos will somehow still like acoustic instruments.

That's why capitalism is good: It gives people a choice as to decide what will survive in the market.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes maybe that's right, if it's just market work yet then it is capitalism.

But government also plays a role. If it's decided that it's too expensive to *educate* the people that build, tune and maintain these pianos, then it's more a political choice?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

But government also plays a role. If it's decided that it's too expensive to *educate* the people that build, tune and maintain these pianos, then it's more a political choice?

What government educates piano builders?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

What government educates piano builders?

Or piano tuners?

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Said, obviously, by a young starry-eyed romantic from a decidedly North American point of view. Given that the American divorce rate is almost 50% (46% in 2012), how strong an argument is that for "marrying for love"?

First of all, Pogo never said "marry for infatuation". Get it right.

Secondly, I'm so sick of older people who condescend to young people for being young. That s*** is obnoxious.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission