2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Starting with Beethoven, the repeats started to become less 'optional,' as he structured his works to be played with precisely the repeats he specified, regardless of the audience's proclivities.
Can you explain a little more about this? Is this your personal opinion or generally accepted by those knowledgable in this area?

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Starting with Beethoven, the repeats started to become less 'optional,' as he structured his works to be played with precisely the repeats he specified, regardless of the audience's proclivities.
Can you explain a little more about this? Is this your personal opinion or generally accepted by those knowledgable in this area?

There's mountains of scholarship about the structural importance of the repeats in Beethoven's works, yes. There's very little in Beethoven that isn't finely calculated. Even the absence of a repeat in the Op. 57 first movement is planned in such a way that it is complete without it.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
yeah i think mark's post is excellent!

while we're on this topic... what do you guys think of schubert's repeats in his sonatas?

i listen to richter and he just insists on playing the repeats and it actually annoys me to no end...

M
M
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
One of the most unpleasant concert experiences I ever endured was hearing Alfred Brendel plod his way through Schumann's Symphonic Etudes including every last repeat - played exactly the same way as the first time through.

I have to say this is one of my criticisms of Brendel in particular. I love how he plays Beethoven (I'm thinking mainly of Tempest and Waldstein), but his repeats are identical to the first time through and I find myself wanting fo fast forward through them to get to the development!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I have an interesting quote from "Performance Practices in Classic Piano Music" by Sandra Rosenblum, copied below in part:

In the main, writers of the early Classic and Classic periods offer no options in following notated repeat signs. According to Quantz, "If there are two dots on each side of a double bar..., they signify that the piece consists of two parts, and that each part must be played twice." Turk, Koch, and Hummel all agreed with Quantz. Clementi departed, with this observation: The dotted bars denote the repeat of the foregoing, and the following strain. N.B. The second part of a piece, if very long, is seldom repeated; notwithstanding the dots."

...Nicolas Joseph Hullmandel and Antonio Sacchini were among the early composers who omitted the internal repeat signs in a few such movements. Nevertheless, Haydn and Mozart used the double repeat signs in all their opening sonata-allegro movements for the keyboard except Hob. 52 and K. 576 respectively; in these two late works only the expositions are repeated. Clementi omitted the second repeat in Op. 9/3/iii, which he published in London ca. 1790-1795?. In his autograph revision of Op. 13/6/iii, he put a repeat sign at the beginning of the development section (perhaps out of habit?) but none at the end of the movement, which is marked Fine. The length and power of the second part of this movement convince me that Clementi's N.B. applies here. Of course, in reaching such a decision, a performer needs to consider its effect on the listener's perception of the entire form and of the relationships of the parts to each other.

Beethoven indicated repeats judiciously from the start. In his piano sonatas from Op. 2 on, only nine movements in sonata-allegro form contain repeat signs for the second part. The first movement without one is Op. 2/3/i. Here, presumably, Beethoven must have felt that the extensive cosa, which is only about 20 percent shorter than the development section, would have made a repeat anticlimactic. From Op. 57 on, many of the movements have no repeats, although, interestingly, in Op. 57/iii only the development and recapitulation repeat (before the coda). Beethoven returned to repeats for the expositions of Opp. 106/i and 111/i.

...In the face of this evidence, casual disregard of Beethoven's repeats would seem an affront to his formal designs.

I'd also like to add that in the aforementioned Op. 57/iii, Beethoven writes "la seconda parte due volte" (the second part twice) at the repeat sign of the development section to make sure this is observed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Too often I hear repeats performed when the performer has nothing new to say with them at all. Then it's just boring.

This seems a common argument. But isn't this a bit strange? If we really like a piece, I'm sure most of us listen to the same CD/MP3 many times. Yet if it's played two times, it's boring?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Unless I'm familiar with a sonata, hearing the exposition repeated helps give a sense of the dimensions of the structure and familiarity with the themes. That's how I like to introduce music to friends who haven't heard too much ~200 year old music. "Listen for when the beginning returns, after that whole section has played again the composer will mess around with the ideas a while before wrapping it up similar to the first part".

I figure a few cues can help the listener focus and orient themselves within the structure. When I first started listening to classical music it was a beautiful and intriguing but somewhat baffling series of ideas (coming from a background of verse/chorus/bridge rock music).

Originally Posted by wouter79
>Too often I hear repeats performed when the performer has nothing new to say with them at all. Then it's just boring.

This seems a common argument. But isn't this a bit strange? If we really like a piece, I'm sure most of us listen to the same CD/MP3 many times. Yet if it's played two times, it's boring?
Or perhaps some pianists believe that changes, if any, should be very minor.

I think if a pianist on the level of Brendel decides to play a repeat exactly the same as the first time through, he clearly has decided to do so for a reason. One many prefer repeats played differently, but it's not as though Brendel is unaware of the idea of changing things on repeats or that he couldn't do so if he wanted to.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually, in Moscow, he did repeat. For that Last Romantic recording session, I think he just did not want to play too long, knowing that he needed to play many pieces.

M
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Or perhaps some pianists believe that changes, if any, should be very minor.

I think if a pianist on the level of Brendel decides to play a repeat exactly the same as the first time through, he clearly has decided to do so for a reason. One many prefer repeats played differently, but it's not as though Brendel is unaware of the idea of changing things on repeats or that he couldn't do so if he wanted to.

Of course he chose to and could have done otherwise. Nothing I said implied that I thought he was incapable. Clearly I was stating my preference.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I totally agree.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
Originally Posted by Kreisler

I totally agree.

I disagree. Listening to a recording over again is not like playing a repeat without any variation. When you listen to a piece over again, you are listening to the entire work being built from start to finish - you are going on a complete journey (unless you happen to want to hear a passage one more time to see what exactly the pianist is doing for your own edification, but this is for a different purpose as well).

When you play a repeat identical to the first time through, IMO it stops the dramatic movement and progressive flow of a piece. It seems like you go backwards for no reason other than the composer said so. It also tells me that perhaps the pianist is choosing not to be spontaneous, which makes me wonder why.

To assume that your audience can't tell that if you make changes to a repeat that you're not playing repeated material either means you've drastically altered the music beyond what the composer wrote, or that you perhaps underestimate your audience.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
When you play a repeat identical to the first time through, IMO it stops the dramatic movement and progressive flow of a piece.

Unless that repeat can be considered a part of the "progressive flow" of the piece.

For instance, in traditional sonata form, hearing the exposition's resolution twice in the "wrong" key (the dominant) can help make it more satisfying when we finally hear the resolution in the right key in the recapitulation. The repeat adds a very subtle kind of tension to the overall flow of the movement.

At any rate, when thinking of repeats, I think it's worthwhile to compare Beethoven's Waldstein and Appassionata. At this point, Beethoven uses repeats very deliberately. Why is there one in the first movement of op.53 but not op.57?

-Jason

M
M
Originally Posted by beet31425
Originally Posted by Morodiene
When you play a repeat identical to the first time through, IMO it stops the dramatic movement and progressive flow of a piece.

Unless that repeat can be considered a part of the "progressive flow" of the piece.

For instance, in traditional sonata form, hearing the exposition's resolution twice in the "wrong" key (the dominant) can help make it more satisfying when we finally hear the resolution in the right key in the recapitulation. The repeat adds a very subtle kind of tension to the overall flow of the movement.

At any rate, when thinking of repeats, I think it's worthwhile to compare Beethoven's Waldstein and Appassionata. At this point, Beethoven uses repeats very deliberately. Why is there one in the first movement of op.53 but not op.57?

-Jason

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating NOT observing the repeats. I am however, advocating slight changes when you repeat to keep it interesting.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think in a live performance a repeat will always differ slightly at least from the first playing - the performer is approaching it from a different perspective - even if no notation, dynamics etc are deliberately changed. However, if you enjoy the wonderful music of the first section played first time around, how can you suddenly become bored with that same wonderful music being repeated? If it's second class music, or music you are not enraptured by in the first place, maybe, but any Beethoven sonata for example?

M
M
Originally Posted by sandalholme
I think in a live performance a repeat will always differ slightly at least from the first playing - the performer is approaching it from a different perspective - even if no notation, dynamics etc are deliberately changed. However, if you enjoy the wonderful music of the first section played first time around, how can you suddenly become bored with that same wonderful music being repeated? If it's second class music, or music you are not enraptured by in the first place, maybe, but any Beethoven sonata for example?

You're asking how I can have an opinion. I just do, and you are free to disagree with it. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Varying a repeated section does not necessarily imply going counter to anything in the score. Even without the embellishments/alterations that were all part of the 19th Centuy tradition, there is still plenty of room for variety - the spice of life. Rubato, balancing of inner-voices, tonal color are all expressive devices that can be legitimately used and would be objectionable to only the most pedantic.

Since the thread started out referring to Horowitz, I refer to one of his oft quoted rules of Romantic piano performance: The opening statements of any piece should be played in a very direct manner, and expressive devices only used further in.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
M
M
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
Varying a repeated section does not necessarily imply going counter to anything in the score. Even without the embellishments/alterations that were all part of the 19th Centuy tradition, there is still plenty of room for variety - the spice of life. Rubato, balancing of inner-voices, tonal color are all expressive devices that can be legitimately used and would be objectionable to only the most pedantic.

Since the thread started out referring to Horowitz, I refer to one of his oft quoted rules of Romantic piano performance: The opening statements of any piece should be played in a very direct manner, and expressive devices only used further in.

And this is what I was taught as well, you are more plain at the beginning and save the fancy stuff for second time around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Does it count if I unintentionally play it better the second time around? heheh.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Assuming you rate Mozart's C Minor K457 sonata, (or substitute any Mozart sonata you do rate) are you saying that hearing the first section repeat, all, what, 2 minutes of it, makes you feel bored? Well, I respect your opinion, but I am amazed at it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission