Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2052146 - 03/21/13 09:05 PM Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

The pianist who (apparently) most of the audience - both in the hall and online - thought should have won the last Chopin Competition has just released his latest CD, which contains lollipops and film music. Ingolf Wunder, despite losing out to Yulianna Avdeeva for the first prize, has since achieved probably a higher profile (shades of Ivo Pogorelich and Dang Thai Son), having been signed on to DG and already made his second CD for them, while Avdeeva has only just released her first CD since the competition (playing Chopin on a period Erard) on the same Polish label that released her live competition performances.

Is this the shape of things to come from classical pianists - playing and recording 'classical pops', like well-known film music? Almost certainly, this CD will appeal to many more than just classical cognoscenti, but will the latter be turned off by this populist/crossover take?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2052167 - 03/21/13 10:25 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
I think it's part of pianist's personal preferences and tastes. I guess it wouldn't work if someone tried to do it just for marketing. But even if it's authentic it's not bound to be to all audience's tastes.

I recently attended a recital he gave where I live and, to be honest, I was quite turned off by the program combination, even without any Star Wars in it.

After the 1st half (all Chopin Ballades, always a good choice of course smile ), the 2nd half began with the Berceuse, followed by a very mixed bag of short 19th century salon favorites, then, oddly enough, thrown in the middle Scriabin's op 8/12. It really made me angry a bit as it seemed like a statement that the Berceuse and the Scriabin Etude would in any way be comparable to these pieces... frown

I went there as open-minded as I could despite the fact I didn't like the program combination. Unfortunately, I was quite a bit underwhelmed by the recital I have to say. It was not bad at all, and he surely is a very accomplished pianist, but it didn't feel very personal to me (however, I should add the recital was well received by the audience in general so maybe it was me who had a bad listening day smile ).

In contrast, I still remember a wonderful Avdeeva recital I have attended. Of course it doesn't make sense to compare from two recitals, but I'll do it anyway... laugh No comparison!

#2052282 - 03/22/13 05:50 AM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
4000 Post Club Member

Wunder hasn't yet played at the International Piano Series in London's South Bank, though Avdeeva and Trifonov have (and the latter two both played meaty concerts, and very well too).

If Wunder was going to program mainly lollipops, I suspect that might not go down well with the organisers of the piano recital series, nor with the audience.

It sounds like his second half of the concert you attended contained many of the pieces on his new CD - minus the film music.

But I'd quite fancy hearing that Star Wars tune as an encore....... grin

#2052409 - 03/22/13 11:34 AM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
It sounds like his second half of the concert you attended contained many of the pieces on his new CD - minus the film music.

Yes indeed, you are right, bennevis!
Here is the list of what he played in the 2nd half. As I said before, for me this appeared a very unfortunate combination -- does it make sense to play any more encores if the whole 2nd half seems a combination of encores?! (as actual encores he played a Scarlatti sonata, followed by Fantaisie-Impromptu).

Berceuse Des-Dur op. 57
Koczalski Fantasie-Walzer für Klavier h-Moll op. 49
Debussy "Claire de lune" Nr. 3 aus "Suite bergamasque"
Rachmaninow Préludes g-Moll op. 23/ 5
Skrjabin Patetico dis-Moll aus "Etüden" op. 8/12
Moszkowski "Etincelles", Morceau caractéristique op. 36 Nr. 6
Horowitz Danse excentrique
Liszt Csárdás macabre

Btw!!! Anyone care to look twice at the track list of "300"? Notice anything funny?! laugh

#2052421 - 03/22/13 11:55 AM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Oops!

#2052468 - 03/22/13 01:15 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
4000 Post Club Member

I might be tempted to order this CD......er, perhaps not grin

#2053557 - 03/24/13 04:12 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Rachmaninow Préludes g-Moll op. 23/ 5

>Skrjabin Patetico dis-Moll aus "Etüden" op. 8/12

Did you swap some numbers? Or did they on the CD?

#2053568 - 03/24/13 04:32 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: wouter79]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

They did, wouter, on the CD! I've never seen anything like this before, especially on Deutsche Grammophon...

#2053571 - 03/24/13 04:34 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
kapelli Online   blank

Loc: Poland
I found the back cover pfoto in Polish CD shop on the web and yes, they are swapped on the CD.

I wonder when they realized this laugh

#2053573 - 03/24/13 04:37 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: pianovirus]
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianovirus
Originally Posted By: wouter79

They did, wouter, on the CD! I've never seen anything like this before, especially on Deutsche Grammophon...

Maybe a rush job.

But if Decca can release Valentina Lisitsa's RAH concert last year on CD within a couple of weeks with all documentation accurate, why can't DG, with a studio recording?

#2053579 - 03/24/13 04:47 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
kapelli Online   blank

Loc: Poland
Going back to Wunder...
Few days after Chopin Competition he had tournee around Poland...
On one of the concerts he played 1st piano concerto, and after

As one of encores he played Clair de Lune
The piece, which is played by almost each piano adept, by each kid...

But it was alway boring and nothing special for me...

But this time I was completely amazed. I felt like struked (sorry if it's wrong word) by lightning. This, what he has done with this piece was absolutely immense. To be honest, by few next I was still in shock.
He's great pianist, with great emotions.

Avdeeva is more brutal and straight forward. Wunder is colorfull. I prefer Wunder.

#2053723 - 03/24/13 10:16 PM Re: Ingolf Wunder plays...Star Wars and Morricone [Re: bennevis]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Well, I can understand the complaints said so far....but STAR WARS for piano....my inner 12 year old boy is exciting and wants to play it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, 48 invisible), 1904 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250401 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission