Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
118 registered (36251, anamnesis, ABC Vermonter, anotherscott, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1492 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2051187 - 03/20/13 04:54 AM Re: Damper Pedal Action / Sheet Music - Paper + Digital [Re: pianokeys135]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
To respond to the OP's question re pedal placement on uprights vs grands: my experience - have never measured any - is that the distance to the pedals is greater on grands. Presumably this is because the upright's pedals have to sit in front of all those pesky vertical strings ........

Certainly I have always found grands easier to play, partly because of this, but the ratio between an individual's leg length and arm length means some would prefer a closer pedal placement and some the opposite.

My guess would be that grand pedals are generally further away than upright pedals, purely because they can be and piano manufacturers have researched [edit] (I got cut off in my prime!) the matter and placed the pedals accordingly.

Edited by sandalholme (03/20/13 04:56 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2051395 - 03/20/13 02:04 PM Re: Damper Pedal Action / Sheet Music - Paper + Digital [Re: sandalholme]
pianokeys135 Offline

Loc: Greater NYC Area
Thanks Sandal. Yeah, maybe it's a matter of some people's bodies being more suited to a grand's geometry because of the proportions of their arms, legs, torso, etc.

#2051632 - 03/20/13 10:53 PM Re: Damper Pedal Action / Sheet Music - Paper + Digital [Re: pianokeys135]
pianokeys135 Offline

So I noticed last night that my upright is about 29 and 1/2 inches from the ground to the top of the white keys. Steinways seems to be at 28 and 1/2. I guess there is some variation of key height too, which would also affect posture a bit I suppose...The saga continues....

#2051767 - 03/21/13 06:46 AM Re: Damper Pedal Action / Sheet Music - Paper + Digital [Re: pianokeys135]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Another factor re geometry. Having played uprights and, now, probably, most of that time, grands for over 60 years, I have an arthritic neck. Would not have connected it especially with the piano, except I have recently acquired a DP. The music stand on the DP allows me to have a good neck posture (posture is a new concept to me, in my advanced years, but does it reduce pain!). Returning to the grand I immediately noticed I was looking up at the music. Raising the stool - thus compromising the arm position somewhat and shifting the geometry of the legs for the pedals - enable me to have a better posture. Less pain. So it is well to bear in mind to have the music at least level with the head, preferably lower, if at all possible.

Incidentally, the DP has pedals just a wee bit too close for me, even though they could be sited anywhere.

#2053779 - 03/25/13 02:29 AM Re: Action of Damper Pedal [Re: pianokeys135]
pianokeys135 Offline

Thanks Sandalholme. I have thought about the fact that on my upright the music is lower - right above the keys, where it seems that on most grands, the music is higher - more at eye level. I could imagine that looking down at the music / keys all the time could strain my neck. I've heard that with computer monitors, for example, you are supposed to be looking straight ahead, to keep your head / neck in a natural position. On the other hand, having the music lower near the keys seems to make it easier to glance back and forth quickly from where the music is to where your hands and the keyboard are.

mwm - you wrote -

Quote:
my son just made one up a few days ago using a monitor with a DVI to USB adapter and a USB wireless dongle. The whole cost was about 25 bucks.

I'll have to look into that! That would make it much easier to move my monitor back and forth when I want to read music off of the computer screen. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard to get that up and running after all.

#2059774 - 04/05/13 11:22 AM Re: Action of Damper Pedal [Re: pianokeys135]
pianokeys135 Offline

So I recently discovered how much of a difference it can make to the player on a grand when the music desk is up vs. when it's down (or if you take it off). Now I'm thinking that I want to get a music desk that is not solid - maybe a wooden one with large holes cut out or a metal one with bars. Has anyone ever seen Pianomania? They use one in that movie that is like what I'm talking about.

#2059776 - 04/05/13 11:25 AM Re: Action of Damper Pedal [Re: pianokeys135]
pianokeys135 Offline

By the way, I posted a thread about music desks to hold music a while ago, in case anyone wants to read that thread.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1941455/Re:%20Board%20to%20Hold%20Piano%20Music.html#Post1941455

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77389 Members
42 Forums
160046 Topics
2350293 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission