Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2054239 - 03/25/13 08:55 PM I tried a KORG SV1
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was at Guitar Center to see if they had new boards. I was able to try out Korg Krome, acoustic pianos sucks (nothing new here.) Then I tried Kronos and piano was better but still not a replacement for a dedicated DP. Then I decided to sit at SV1. I thought it had best acoustic piano sound. Someone had left some nice combi's. There was this acoustic piano with a soft horn pad that reminded me of Yellowjackets 4corners album. I also dug the electric piano sounds.

The action, I've tried before. It has a fake bounce at bottom of stroke that at first, kind of feels cool, but after a while, it felt very unnatural.

I'd like to hear from people who gig with it.

Edited by 36251 (03/25/13 08:56 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2054251 - 03/25/13 09:19 PM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I once saw a guy playing one at an event. He played well, but I wasn't impressed by the sound. I remember thinking that it looked pretty bulky too.

Suffice to say, he was eyeing my Electro all night - they might be the same colour, but I think we both knew who had the better board. wink

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2054254 - 03/25/13 09:21 PM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The EP's are its main strength although it does have some other good sounds on it. The AP samples aren't bad, but they don't live up to everyone's expectations.

#2054291 - 03/25/13 10:27 PM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
HHNET Offline

In my recent DP review notes, I failed to mention that I had previously tried the SV1. I too didn't like the bouncy bottom and the piano sound alone didn't dazzle me. Its EPs are its strongpoint, but it's not a good thing to be thinking about OTHER DP's while playing the one you are considering!

HHNET

#2054316 - 03/25/13 11:40 PM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I recently acquired an SV-1, and I have a Nord Piano, which I can compare it to.

Firstly the action. The Korg's RH3 is somewhat heavy - not really sluggish, but not exactly nimble. Having recently had the Kawai MP6 and the Roland FP-7F, it is not in the league of either of those boards in terms of action. Mine also has the occasional habit of cutting off the sustain of notes played pp. It is, however, acceptable for the most part, and I have no real problem with it at gigs unless I try to play organ parts on it. The Nord Piano's action is lighter, but not really any more refined. (For the first time on any weighted action board I experienced a mechanical failure while playing the Nord - one of the TP40's pink pivots broke in two. It will be a pig to replace, so for now I have glued it.)

Having briefly owned a Krome, I can recall fairly well both the APs and EPs. I think that both the SV-1's APs and EPs are generally better than the Krome's - richer and more detailed, despite the lack of 88-note sampling. It is possible to get an almost perfect match between the Krome's Mk V Rhodes and one of the SV-1's Soundpack 2 EPs, as well as at least one of the string samples, so I think that the SV and Krome share some of the same ROMpler patches (mainly under the hood in the SV). But the other SV EP samples blow the Krome away.

In comparison to the Nord, it's swings and roundabouts. The SV-1's EPs are hugely fun to play, and can be quite inspiring. I find the Nord's nice, but a little less detailed, although there are more varieties available. Both the SV and the Nord have easy to navigate control panels with little in the way of menu items (although the SV's editor allows a greater depth of tweaking). The SV's effects are very good quality with a little more breadth available. Fine tuning is also more possible on the SV - as long as you ignore the egregious lack of panel control over the organ amp model's overdrive. The Nord's wonderful samples of Bosendorfer and Fazioli - to name just two - are more refined than the German and Japanese samples in the Korg, but the SV's German Grand in its Soundpack 2 form can sound quite beautiful, although I don't think it will record anywhere near as well as the Nord. The much noted short decay is masked more effectively in the Soundpack 2 versions, but is still there. Neither the Korg nor the Nord respond anywhere near as well as the Roland SN pianos to velocity variations. Also, in a quick comparison with Pianoteq 4 this afternoon, played from the Korg, the response and control was far superior to that when playing the SV's internal AP samples.

I have gigged with the SV on a few occasions now, and I enjoy playing it immensely in a band context. I have fewer problems with sound reproduction than with Nord instruments. That said, I would be unlikely to play it at a solo piano or piano/voice gig. A Nord or a Roland SN piano offers a little extra refinement with AP sounds in a solo situation.

In conclusion, I really do think that for all its faults, the SV-1 is the most organic-sounding DP I've played thus far (although the old GEMs could be like that too). If you need to play EPs a lot (and I find I'm tending to adapt some of the music I play to include more EP sounds simply because of having the SV), then it's probably the best out there still. However, depending on your style, the Korg's action could be a challenge. APs are very rich and pleasing, although not quite as refined as Nord's and Roland's, and there are some interesting additional sounds that don't make it into most boards. The basic organ sounds are acceptable, but the rotary sim is woeful by today's standards, and percussion is a non-starter, unless you don't mind it riveted into the samples. In the end, it's a board that's hard to beat for those who have particular needs - but not really a replacement for a regular DP.

As a postscript I should add that getting from one sound to another in the SV can be a bit of a hassle, with the necessity to turn two rotary knobs, unless you have organized the eight favorites to counter that. The abrupt cut-off of one patch when dialing in another is also a bit of a pain - but many boards are like that.

Edited by voxpops (03/25/13 11:47 PM)

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2054326 - 03/26/13 12:17 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: voxpops]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
As usual, vp speaketh the truth...amen. thumb

Hey sorry to hear about your NP action snafu, I hope you can get that taken care of. Luckily no problems here...knock on red. Although I will say that Nord soft case is barely a year old and already it has lost its rigidity, which makes stacking my two $$$$ speakers on the dolly on top of it, not such a good idea. frown

I owned two SV1s over a period of a year and a half. I re-bought the second SV1 after spending much time playing the new Soundpack 2 EPs & APs in the store. I found those to be much preferable to the originals.

It also helped that a friend offered me a trade for the second SV1 for some recording mics I wasn't using and some cash. However in the end, not being the kind of guy who likes multiple keyboards hanging around (if I'm not using it frequently) and the SV1 just not doing it for me (while it was better then the original AP, as voxpops noted, I couldn't get past that short decay of the APs) , the second SV1 was returned to my friend after about 2 weeks and 4 gigs . I think if I were doing more gigs of the R&B/Funk context like in years past, I would have held onto it for that.

At that time I gave the SV1 a second shot, I was solely using the CP5 and for what I do, the SV1 wasn't even in the same ballpark. wink

In fact like I posted in the CP5 thread, after playing it again the week before last for 45 minutes, and going between it, the Kronos 88 and 700NX , the CP5 still has that *thing* going for it, at least for me, more then any current electronic keyboard out there at this time.

Edited by Dave Ferris (03/26/13 12:36 AM)
Edit Reason: added thought

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2054332 - 03/26/13 12:33 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: Dave Ferris]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Hey sorry to hear about your NP action snafu, I hope you can get that taken care of. Luckily no problems here...knock on red.

Thanks Dave, it was just one of those things. I took it apart, found the problem, applied a temporary fix and ordered the replacement part. I'm now procrastinating over doing the permanent fix, as it means trying to extract the guide rail that runs through all the key pivots - I keep having nightmares about the potential shambles that could result!

Quote:
. I think if I were doing more gigs of the R&B/Funk context like in years past, I would have held onto it for that.

Yes, its vibe fits right into that type of genre, although major funk players might find something like an Electro SW action easier to perform ultra-fast pattern changes.

Quote:
At that time I gave the SV1 a second shot, I was solely using the CP5 and for what I do, the SV1 wasn't even in the same ballpark. wink

In fact like I posted in the CP5 thread, after playing it again the week before last for 45 minutes, and going between it, the Kronos 88 and 700NX , the CP5 still has that *thing* going for it, at least for me, more then any current electronic keyboard out there at this time.

For me, even the Korg at 39lbs, is wreaking havoc with my screwed-up back, so I keep passing on the CP5 - even for home use; and, in a way, it would be a shame to have such a definitive stage piano stuck at home.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2054342 - 03/26/13 12:52 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: voxpops]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: voxpops

For me, even the Korg at 39lbs, is wreaking havoc with my screwed-up back, so I keep passing on the CP5 - even for home use; and, in a way, it would be a shame to have such a definitive stage piano stuck at home.

You know I had the SV1 73 for a few gigs and I found the weight distribution on that to be harder to pick up and maneuver around with then the 88. The 73 is like a little tank.

Yes I'm torn between getting another CP5, waiting for Musikmesse ( or even later) to see what's going to happen, and just plain trying to rationalize, for many of the small restaurant gigs I'm doing, if I'll even want to mess with the bulk of the Yamaha.

The 55 lbs. isn't really the issue for me. I'm pretty fit from the years of running and biking, in addition I've been going to the gym more often. Basically the initial lift from keyboard stand to case (or vice versa) or dolly to car, isn't all that hard on me. It just gets dicey when you have the obstacle course of maneuvering around people eating dinner, squeezing in between chairs and tables and then you're expected to set up in an area the size of a postage stamp. frown

If it's just a straight load in with no obstacle course and decent set up space, the whole drill is very doable. But yeah, I'd hate to have it just sitting at the home not using it although I could set it up in the shared office with my wife , next to the iMac, and drive her crazy with the sound of the keyboard clunking all day. laugh

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#2054344 - 03/26/13 01:05 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: Dave Ferris]
JonathonRose Offline

Loc: Berkshire,london
Hey rock stars can you tell me best Guitar Institute in London location??

#2054468 - 03/26/13 09:47 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
RonL Offline

I have only seen the SV1 in action at a gig once, an outdoor concert with a very decent PA. The keyboard player only played the AP sound and I didn't care for it. Brittle sounding. I have played the SV many times in stores, I love the EP sound, one of the best I have played, the wurlie was good too, but the rest of it didn't do anything for me. I also didn't like the action so much.

There is another thread here about the the Kronos and I was thinking about getting one of those instead of the CP5 I decided on - the Kronos is a very nice board with enough features to last a life time I am sure but I didn't connect with it, I didn't care for the RH3 action, which is the same as the SV1.

#2054498 - 03/26/13 10:55 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: RonL]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I use an SV1-73, all I can say is its got soul! The EP's are much better than my MOX 8. It is a lot of fun to play in a band context, its light and the 73 keys has a small stage foot print and can be easily fit in almost any vehicle. It replaced a Kurzweil SP4-7, the keys on it were not fully weighted and though it had a lot of great sounds, the SV-1 trounces it easily on the AP sounds. The SV1 is easy to tweak the sounds and the editor allows deeper editing on my mac. All in all this was a very good investment, in the 6 months I have owned it, it has already paid for itself. The keys, could be a little quicker but my hands adapted quickly to them.

Edited by Kbeaumont (03/26/13 11:02 AM)

#2054528 - 03/26/13 11:59 AM Re: I tried a KORG SV1 [Re: 36251]
RonL Offline

Dave F I feel your pain. When you said postage stamp you nailed it. I did a restaurant last month where I literally set up in a double doorway and had a plant hitting the back of my head all night. The singer had to step out of the way of the waiters more than once.

KB - I agree that the EP's on the SV1 are outstanding and they are the reason I can't resist playing one when I see it in the store, I do think that the action is a little better on the newer black case models, but sluggish. Makes me want to dust of the Chick RTF stuff. Glad to hear you love it. I was so hoping Korg was going to releas a SV2 with the Kronos grand piano, I guess that is what the Krome is but I think the Krome 88 is possibly the worst 88 weighed action I have tried.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (angga888, barbaram, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 20 invisible), 1249 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292015 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission