2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RonL Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I think it's the best....keyboard I have bought within the past week.

I am really enjoying it - plays very nice, though I get what the review was saying about the key dip being slightly shallow. After a quick read of the manual operating it seems pretty easy, maybe not intuitive (Hold the reverb button for a minute to get access to the parameters ) but not hard - try figuring out a Motif XS7. LOL. One thing about it is how thick it is - I have it set up on my Omni Rack station and it is several inches higher than the Studiologic VMK 76 it is replacing.

I know there will the next latest and greatest but I like the sound and the finger to sound connection and the action. Not sure how much I will gig with it as it is a little on the heavy side, so I suspect a gig board (px5s?) is in my future.

so someone welcome me to the CP club....

Welcome to the CP club ...

Though I have a CP-50 ...
Don't be afraid to experiment with all the paramaters, you can modify the AP and the others sounds quit a bit once you know what the editing functions do . . .

congratulations and enjoy it!
LB

Yamaha YUX Upright, Yamaha CP50, Roland FP-80, Pianoteq Stage, Yamaha P-105,
Hammond XK-2, Korg CX-3 (ver.2), Leslie 145 w/Speakeasy PreAmp , 1964 Hammond B3/122RV Leslie
D
D
Welcome to the club from the previous generation (of CPs)!

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
R
R
Welcome to the CP family! I had a CP5 but "down-graded" to a CP50 because of the weight and size. Plus I actually prefer he heavier action of the GH over the NW Stage of the CP5. Don't get me wrong he CP5's finger to sound connection is top of the class even if it doesn't have all of the "geek" specs on paper like 3 sensors, it simply plays organically. I do hope that Yamaha at least update these CP series and help the AP sounds with some software updates like an algorithm for key sympathetic resonance and a better damper resonance, similarly like the update a while back for the CP 1(better damper resonance).

But overall very solid performers for these new CP series and the EP's (primarily the Rhodes emulations) are stellar! Enjoy your CP5!

BTW: other CP owners have you noticesd in the preamp menu for the AP's, the strike position parameter? It is "locked" and unusable for both the CP5 and CP50....would be great if Yamaha had a software update to "unlock" it and give users more tonal variations on the AP's, similar to what you can do on he Rhodes and Wurly emulations. Just a thought.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats Ron..you have the 2nd best. The only thing superior is the CP1. cool

After playing the CP5 about 2 weeks ago after almost a year of being away from it, I can honestly say, all the other DPs can go home. There is still nothing out there that is as responsive and sounds as good imo.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm quite fancy a CP! Congrats!

Last edited by LarryShone; 03/25/13 02:50 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Congrats Ron..you have the 2nd best. The only thing superior is the CP1. cool

After playing the CP5 about 2 weeks ago after almost a year of being away from it, I can honestly say, all the other DPs can go home. There is still nothing out there that is as responsive and sounds as good imo.

Damn! I wish you hadn't said that, Dave. I'll just keep telling myself that the darn thing's too heavy.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
55 lbs. I went to Yamaha website and they show it in kgs. 25.2 kg to be exact. Now why would they not convert on a USA site?

I hauled around a Roland FP7 when they first came out and that was 52 lbs. After a few years I decided to downsize to FP4. At 36 lbs, it's a weight worth moving around.

Last edited by 36251; 03/25/13 05:06 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 36251
55 lbs. I went to Yamaha website and they show it in kgs. 25.2 kg to be exact. Now why would they not convert on a USA site?

I think Yamaha can be forgiven.

From Wiki - Metrication is the process of introducing the International System of Units (abbreviated SI for Système international d'unités), the metric system of measurement, to replace the traditional or customary units of measurement of a country or region. Although all U.S customary units have been redefined in terms of SI units, the United States does not commonly mandate the use of SI, making it, according to the CIA Factbook, one of three countries that has not adopted the International System of Units (SI) metric system as their official system of weights and measures, along with Burma (Myanmar) and Liberia.

I own the CP5 and wish it had the heavier action that the CP300 has. It does not have have an easy user interface. It's a very good stage piano but I prefer the Rhodes sound that came with the CP300.

The default grand piano on the CP5 has a few notes that are noticeably louder that the notes surrounding them and I pointed that out here; Dewster analyzed this and posted the results here.

When the next generation is introduced I'll buy it and sell my CP5 privately.

As far as weight goes, I think it's a near perfect weight. I'm 62 and have no problems handling it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
RonL #2054232 03/25/13 08:39 PM
Ron,

Congrats on your CP5 !!

I will post in my own section about my "piano trying" today in San Francisco.

HHNET

Ron,

After bathing in a CP5 for over an hour at Guitar Center, I walked away with a bevy of feelings.

The CP5 has a lot of personality! This is something I have not heard in ANY DP that I have tried thus far. It is specifically "different" from any other keyboard. I have not used such verbiage except when discussing the CP5.

I really like the KNOBS for adjustment. The EQ is VERY cool and I found it wonderfully easy to use and to make the CP5 sound good playing through a simple, mono speaker amplifier. (Roland K-something)

Being a live [transpose] key user, I was hesistant about knob1 for that. Pressing [transpose] and turning knob1 1-click worked well and after 30 attempts while playing live and changing keys, I error'd 2 times. Not bad 28 in 30. So, I can surely live with the knob.transpose and this made me happy because I am VERY close to buying a CP5.

SCM sound was great and of course the AWM2 (MOTIF) sounds are good also.

Ron, no doubt in my mind, you made a good purchase! Enjoy!

HHNET

J
J
Since I have a CP-50 ...
Don't afraid to try all the parameters, just modify AP and work with that it will be easy
congratulations.......

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I have a CP-1 .... NW-stage is the best action I've ever played.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission