2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 211 of 452 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 451 452
D
D
Originally Posted by nipo

Jingle Bells was the first one in the book i had a hard time with too. I've notice the book seems to jump in difficulty after a few songs instead of a steady progression.

Yes, it is much harder than the next few after it I noticed! Still, I did it until I got it down before moving on. However, it really (and so do chords) annoys my left forearm. I think I'm playing incorrectly in terms of how I'm applying pressure to the keys. It would be great if I could find a local teacher. frown

On another note, the Alfred Premier books do complement this one fairly well. I went back and reviewed the 1A after I did Jingle Bells and noticed it basically covers similar topics but in a much more thorough fashion. However, the 'penalty' is a plethora of made up kiddy songs to get a point across. I still might buy 1B to complement the AIO book...

Yamaha CLP-320
B
B
I just posted on the Basic Adult Course, and maybe you can give me some help. When/where do you use in the Lesson Book songs that which is taught in the Aerobics Book? Where do you use "dangle, drop, and lift" in any particular song?

B
B
See my recent posts.

F
F
Originally Posted by denjin
Originally Posted by nipo

Jingle Bells was the first one in the book i had a hard time with too. I've notice the book seems to jump in difficulty after a few songs instead of a steady progression.

Yes, it is much harder than the next few after it I noticed! Still, I did it until I got it down before moving on. However, it really (and so do chords) annoys my left forearm. I think I'm playing incorrectly in terms of how I'm applying pressure to the keys. It would be great if I could find a local teacher. frown

May be this can help you
http://www.piano-play-it.com/piano-key.html

I am in "Writing the C Major Chord Position for RH" - page 71. But I have to practice "Alpine Melody"

Each piece of Alfred AIO book is to learn a new thing, some are easier than others. Jingle Bells is the first song with two hands.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

D
D
Thanks for the link, Fliper. That looks like it will annoy my left wrist and forearm less, but I think I'm still doing something wrong. I always have some serious tension in the tendons on the back of my hand when playing. frown It is only a problem on my left hand, though. I've emailed a half dozen teachers so far while trying to find one for lessons and none of them have replied...

Done with Largo now and I liked the tune so much I ended up looking into Dvorak more! smile Next up is Mary Ann, Rockets, and then When the Saints...

And in regards to beeflat earlier, I can't help, sorry. frown

Last edited by denjin; 12/10/10 08:08 AM. Reason: one more comment

Yamaha CLP-320
D
D
Sorry for bumping the thread even though the last post is still mine...

I'm just going through Mary Ann (I actually like it :P) and notice that I pause a lot when hitting keys, especially on the bass clef. The reason is I'm always thinking about the note (CEG, etc.) before hitting it. However, today it occured to me that I should just be thinking about intervals and the such, perhaps? Is it a bit too early to expect to be able to read the notes super fast on their own already? I don't really like remembering finger 1, 3, 3, 1, 5 and things like that as opposed to the notes...

Yamaha CLP-320
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Right now, you are translating a note into a letter name, and then the letter name into a key. After a while, your brain will eliminate the middle man (letter name) and go right from the note to the key.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Right now, you are translating a note into a letter name, and then the letter name into a key. After a while, your brain will eliminate the middle man (letter name) and go right from the note to the key.

Thanks, that definitely makes sense. smile Nice to see some of the legendary earlier participants in this thread drop by!

Also, I did find a local teacher. I'll be seeing her on Tuesday - there aren't many options here at all. She teaches a few instruments, including piano. Also, she uses the Alfred's AIO book for the 1st year, which works out great! Guess I'll be staying in this thread for a while.

On to Saints for me today...

Yamaha CLP-320
F
F
Sorry for bumping the thread even though the last post is still mine...

I'm just going through Mary Ann (I actually like it :P) and notice that I pause a lot when hitting keys, especially on the bass clef. The reason is I'm always thinking about the note (CEG, etc.) before hitting it. However, today it occured to me that I should just be thinking about intervals and the such, perhaps? Is it a bit too early to expect to be able to read the notes super fast on their own already? I don't really like remembering finger 1, 3, 3, 1, 5 and things like that as opposed to the notes...

Do not make pauses between the notes. To play slower, think ooooone, twoooo, threeeee, instead one, two three, not one-pause-two-pause-three-pause...

D
D
Saw my teacher for the 1st lesson yesterday. I think she's a bit too easy-going, but it's hard to tell on the 1st lesson so I'll go a few times and see how it works out. She has been helpful though as I gained a better understanding of how to play a few things and some theory since I could just ask and also have her show me things. I got passed on most songs as well with just a few that she wants me to try again next time. For her it's the timing, etc., that is most important.

In the G position now. The chord with my thumb on F sharp is a bit hard, I guess I should move my other fingers towards the top?

Edit: Got to Beautiful Brown Eyes tonight. I find it quite fun! The 1st three measures aren't bad but the 4th one tripped me up a few times. All I need to do now is work it up to full speed, but still isn't as bad I thought it was going to be. smile

Last edited by denjin; 12/15/10 07:44 PM. Reason: added bbe

Yamaha CLP-320
F
F
Saw my teacher for the 1st lesson yesterday. I think she's a bit too easy-going, but it's hard to tell on the 1st lesson so I'll go a few times and see how it works out. She has been helpful though as I gained a better understanding of how to play a few things and some theory since I could just ask and also have her show me things. I got passed on most songs as well with just a few that she wants me to try again next time. For her it's the timing, etc., that is most important.

In the G position now. The chord with my thumb on F sharp is a bit hard, I guess I should move my other fingers towards the top?

Edit: Got to Beautiful Brown Eyes tonight. I find it quite fun! The 1st three measures aren't bad but the 4th one tripped me up a few times. All I need to do now is work it up to full speed, but still isn't as bad I thought it was going to be. smile

Nice you have a teacher now.

I play de D7 chord (chord with thumb on F sharp) with fingers 4 and 5 in the top of keys, between the black keys.

I liked Beautiful Brown Eyes too. Look at the dynamics signs.

I am in "Waltz Time" - page 73, trying to play the dynamics correctelly.

N
N

Congratulations on finding a teacher! I thought mine was being too easy on me at first too. It turns out it just took 3-4 lessons before we were comfortable with one another and she started being more picky.

With F# I move my fingers up a bit and extend them slightly so they can reach. I have large hands though so take that as you will.

I'm currently working on The Can-Can. It is a song that sounds right played quickly so I'm fighting the urge to go progressively faster with a metronome. I liked On Top of Old Smokey before this I never thought of it as a sad song before playing it.

S
S
I'm yet another joining the ranks of the Alfred's AIO book. I started having lessons last summer, the teacher used the Schaum piano course. They are kids books but i didn't have a problem with them. I just really never felt comfortable with the teacher. Every time we'd start on a new piece, i'd freeze and just sit there looking silly. So after 6 or 7 lessons i decided i really didn't need to be dealing with that as an adult and decided to work on my own.

In hindsight it was a mistake. I was progressing with the teacher and i'm sure i would have got to a point where i would get over the freezing. So in the meantime, i have been working alone. I'm playing pieces way more in advance than what i would have had i stayed with the teacher (albeit not played too well). I have a piece in the recent Beethoven recital which at best is ok but i feel like i have regressed. I've missed out a whole lot of stuff in between, my sight reading is poor and i can only learn these pieces by deciphering them and that in itself takes as long as memorizing the notes.

So i decided to find a new teacher, i hadn't planned on using the Alfred's book but the teacher i found is using it. My 7 year old daughter is also starting, i had to order 4 separate Alfred books for her as well and we start on Jan 7th. I don't know how good the kids version is, i'm hoping she learns a lot from them.

I'm not sure exactly what point i'll start in the book. I don't think it will be the beginning, i also ordered the Alfred's greatest hits book as well.

So i'm looking forward to the lessons, using the book and getting to know some of you fine people in this thread.

[Linked Image]
F
F

Welcome to this thread steveMac. I am shure you do not need to start from the begining of the Alfred Book 1.

I think the best way to learn is to follow a structured method, with or without a teacher. I choosed Alfred after read this forum.

I have to play what is in the book, not what I want to play, but as you said, I am progressing in the book.

S
S
Thanks fliper.

[Linked Image]
J
J
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site and love reading this thread.
I'm a "beginner" (had lessons for a few months as kid so can read music). I am almost done with Alfred Vol 1.

I have a question about when to learn the dynamics of a piece. I have been waiting until I have the notes and tempo, but then it is really hard for me to change the way I have been playing it (over and over again!).

What do you do? Do you practice the dynamics as you learn the notes, or wait til you can play it well and then add dynamics?
Thanks!

I personally do one slow run through of the song, then from there on I learn it up to tempo with the proper dynamics (or at least I try to use the proper dynamics). I used to do it the way you have described and also found it was more difficult to learn the dynamics later then just doing them in the beginning.

J
J
Thanks Spitfire

I think I'll start putting the dynamics in from the start also and see if that helps.

F
F
Originally Posted by novice99
What do you do? Do you practice the dynamics as you learn the notes, or wait til you can play it well and then add dynamics?
Thanks!

Welcome to this thread novice 99.
I wait until I can play the piece well. One new thing at time works for me.

J
J
Thanks for the welcome, Fliper.

Page 211 of 452 1 2 209 210 211 212 213 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission