Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (Anita Potter, A Guy, Al LaPorte, Anne'sson, ALEXANDER DYKER, 36251, 24 invisible), 1327 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2053711 - 03/24/13 09:44 PM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
fishbulb Offline

Marty, Norbert, Larry - thanks! I would definitely take anything I do with a grain of salt - I am a complete novice here. Just going on what I've read in Reblitz's book and what I can find searching the internet.

If you go to google and type: site:pianoworld.com what you're searching for you can use google to search just pianoworld, which has been very handy. I also use site:mail.ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech/ what you're searching for to search the pianotech mailing list archives from the PTG - there are a lot of good discussions there.

Anyway, here is a summary of today's work, likely my last update for a little while as the weekend is almost over.

~~~

I completed tuning the entire piano, stem to stern, 100 cent (one semitone) flat using Tunelab.

First off, Tunelab is awesome software. Just go to Help -> Tutorial to get started. In short, just take your inharmonicity readings (I did all the C's) using the "M" key, and then press "T" to go to the tuning curve, and press "U" to set your stretch curve automatically. Then close that window, and begin tuning, either typing in notes or using the left and right arrows to switch notes. If you are using the demo version, it will make you wait for 2 minutes every 12 notes, so it's best to minimize note switching. Or just pay the $300. I may just do that before I tune next.

If you are using Tunelab, or any other computerized tuner, you can start tuning anywhere (you don't need to tune a temperment octave). I would recommend starting with the bass stings and working your way up; I found them the easiest to tune (I actually started in the middle). The last two octaves of the treble were a real pain due to the tight working conditions and difficulty muting the strings. The rubber mutes with the metal handles are a lifesaver for an upright, because you can jam the mutes all different ways to get the right muting. The plastic "Papps Treble Mute" is OK, handy in a few situations, but the rubber mutes are far more effective at actually silencing the strings - at least on my piano.

End result: my piano is playable and sounds 100 times better than before. The tuning is not perfect, probably pretty bad honestly (I can hear some beats in some of the unisions that I need to fix), but it is such an improvement from "not being tuned for ten years" that I'm very happy with it.

~~~

I also had time to do a little bit of work on the various felts that are easy to replace while the action is out.

First off is that nasty old damper-lifter rod (for the sustain pedal). Pretty crusty.

To remove the leather, I slowly picked it back from the wood and let a lot of vinegar soak down into the gap. Then I let it sit, peeled back a little more, and added more vinegar. Repeat until done.

Ahh, nice and clean:

And installed in the piano! I cut down a spare front rail punching to fit, and then cut a piece of buckskin to match the original. It actually made a big difference - the sustain pedal mechanism is quieter now.

~~~

Luckily, a lot of the trapwork bushings are just the same size as felt balance rail punchings. Pretty easy to fix.

I soak them in pure vinegar for five or ten minutes, and then they just scrape right off. Here's an example:

I have found that a plastic scraper (available at most hardware stores cheap) gives good results - a metal scraper is too dangerous to the wood.

Here is the lever for the damper lift rod, complete with four new bushings:

~~~

Also, that nameboard felt (what the top, flat surface of the keys hit against, visible from the outside of the piano, usually red) looked pretty bad - the blue was so faded that from the outside it had lost its color and just looked like dirty wool.

So I replaced it with a nice black peel-and-stick strip.

~~~

Other items on the list of felt replacements are the muffler rail felts and bushings, and basically the entire trapwork that is behind the knee panel - the felts down there are in pretty poor shape. And of course, trying to learn how to read music and play the dang thing! smile

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2053799 - 03/25/13 03:58 AM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
miscrms Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for sharing so much detail. Being trapped here on the computer at work rather than at home working on my piano its really fun to see the progress you are making!

Rob

#2054435 - 03/26/13 08:17 AM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
The name on that key looks to be "Sprigade". While rare, it is still in use today.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2157431 - 09/25/13 12:31 PM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
musicNow Offline

Loc: San Francisco, Bay Area
Fishbuld,

Any updates on this project? You were off to a great start!

- Rick

#2157452 - 09/25/13 01:16 PM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
Kyle_G Offline

Loc: IL
I am loving this!

Are there any updates?

-Best Wishes

Kyle G.

#2160918 - 10/02/13 05:03 PM Re: Project: 120-year-old 'free' Weber upright - lots of pics! [Re: fishbulb]
fishbulb Offline

Hey hey!

Actually not much to say, mostly in a good way.

I have been tuning it up every few months, but it has held a tune pretty well. Mostly I am just learning how to play. I am basically starting as a total beginner and I have been working on reading music, scales, learning keys, and working my way through simple songs. I am try to sit down at the piano for at least a 15 minutes every day, and longer on weekends.

I have become barely skilled enough to at least notice things that bug me (out-of-tune unisions, keys that didn't play quite the same as the others; etc.), but so far I haven't had the time to go through a full regulation process. The thing is, the keys are not terribly bad as it is. I asked my mom if she had ever had it regulated, and sort of figured out that her tuner did this at every tuning - "I don't know, he charged me for fiddling with the insides and adjusting the keys and everything" - so that's why it's probably not been too out of whack.

(side note)

I really want to work more on the piano (every time I walk by it) but I discovered a major black mold infestation in my bedroom (luckily far away from the piano) due to a water leak, and I have had to really put my life on hold while I gutted half of the room down to the bare studs, including removal of the flooring. Incidentally, the leak was the fault of the Home Depot contractors who failed to properly caulk my siding when I had them put on new siding in 2009. This is hopefully the last in a long list of problems I have had from that job, ranging from not masking my windows (a fine mist of dried paint is still on most of the glass) to outrageous change orders (luckily I was able to fight them) to stolen property (grudgingly returned after I confronted them). So yeah, 0/10, would not hire Home Depot again.

(end side note)

Anyway, I assure you I will continue to update this thread when I do anything else to the piano. Next tuning I do, I want to take some photos and create a quick beginner tutorial of using TuneLab. I also need to replace the practice bar felt and level the keys, which should make for good tutorials.

Oh yeah and I also finished writing the Wikipedia article on Weber Piano Company, which was fun research, so I guess that counts for something smile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_Piano_Company

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12 minutes 29 seconds ago
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
Today at 06:44 AM
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
Today at 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
Today at 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159977 Topics
2349315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission