Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2054527 - 03/26/13 11:57 AM Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business
TheLoneliestMonk Offline

Sherman-Clay, the largest Steinway dealer, based if San Francisco, is going under. They are selling all inventory.

Is this related to what's happening in New York with Steinway Hall?

Sherman Clay has been in SF for 142 years and was the only dealer on the West Coast that sold Steinway Pianos.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2054537 - 03/26/13 12:24 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: TheLoneliestMonk
Sherman Clay ... was the only dealer on the West Coast that sold Steinway Pianos.

What about these?

Steinway Piano Gallery in Pasadena and West Hollywood, CA

There must be a bunch of others ranging from San Diego to Seattle, too.

Still, it's always sad to see a fine old business close its doors.

-Andy

#2054555 - 03/26/13 01:33 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I've been told that one or more Sherman Clay locations will become Steinway-owned Steinway Galleries.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2054559 - 03/26/13 01:39 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Steve Cohen]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
I've been told that one or more Sherman Clay locations will become Steinway-owned Steinway Galleries.

When this happened in Chicago, the level of service went up several notches.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2054580 - 03/26/13 02:36 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: beethoven986]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: beethoven986

Steinway runs a class operation.

They can afford to!!

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2054593 - 03/26/13 03:12 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Steve Cohen]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

They can afford to!!

And we all know WHY they can afford to !!!! grin

#2054597 - 03/26/13 03:17 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Its still sad..I read the history page, quite amazing really, in 1907 for Christmas Steinway sends 12 pianos, 4 are circassian walnut, I checked a picture of what that wood looks like, absolutely beautiful...

#2054601 - 03/26/13 03:22 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Are the SF Sherman Clay stores selling all inventory, or just non-Steinway brands?

I wonder if this affects all of the other locations too.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2055381 - 03/27/13 10:38 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Minnesota Marty]
cjpp Offline

All locations will be closing. Portland closed in December, and California stores, Seattle and Houston will all be closed
by June 1.

I worked there for many years while the company was very successful. It was a great company but has been going in the wrong direction for a number of years..

It will be interesting to see if Steinway does take over the market.

#2055413 - 03/28/13 12:30 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
cipp:

Heard same quite a while ago, so this was not exactly a secret.

If actually true, wishing everyone affected the very best for future.

Would be sad to see another great piano retailer close doors - S.C. always was one of my own favorite stops when visiting Seattle.

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (03/28/13 07:01 PM)

#2055437 - 03/28/13 01:32 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Just a quick note on Portland, Oregon.

Classic Pianos and Maurice Unis have added the full Steinway line to their operations. It is now a rather astounding collection of instruments over there. Ever walked into a Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Steinway dealership? Wheeeeee!

#2055465 - 03/28/13 02:46 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: TheLoneliestMonk
Sherman-Clay, the largest Steinway dealer, based if San Francisco, is going under.

Just to clarify, Sherman-Clay wasn't exclusively or even primarily a Steinway dealer. They carried a wide range, including Daewoo's with the Sherman-Clay stencil. My brother in law has one of those.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2055819 - 03/28/13 06:28 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
FormerlyFlute Offline

Loc: Maryland
I bought my first flute at Sherman and Clay in San Francisco a long long time ago.....

#2058038 - 04/01/13 09:12 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California

#2058053 - 04/01/13 09:47 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
ec168 Offline

They are selling the Steinway at a discount, never before; if anyone wants to buy a brand new Steinway. This is the time.

#2058056 - 04/01/13 09:57 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: ec168]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ec168
They are selling the Steinway at a discount, never before; if anyone wants to buy a brand new Steinway. This is the time.

Forgive my skepticism, but this sounds like an ad pitch from an oriental rug store.

#2058069 - 04/01/13 10:28 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: ec168]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Not if the "discounts" are only 5% to 10% (as they were at a similar Steinway liquidation sale I attended a few years ago). grin

#2058074 - 04/01/13 10:37 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Sherman Clay & Company announced this week the sale of its stores to Steinway & Sons, a high-end New York piano dealer...

So much for accuracy in reporting.

This seems to be the way of the future, Steinway being sold through Steinway Galleries. Two dealerships in SoCal are going through the transition. I saw a Steinway M in dark cherry at Field's going for $49,000. It's a new 2002 model. Field's and SoCal Pianos in San Marcos are seriously liquidating stock right now. I've seen Kawai RX-2s going for 18k, and at least one RX-1 for 16k. These were wood finishes.

#2058075 - 04/01/13 10:41 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TunerJeff]
KillerCharlie Offline

Originally Posted By: TunerJeff
Just a quick note on Portland, Oregon.

Classic Pianos and Maurice Unis have added the full Steinway line to their operations. It is now a rather astounding collection of instruments over there. Ever walked into a Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Steinway dealership? Wheeeeee!

You forgot Mason&Hamlin! They have 2-3 new ones in stock most the time now.

#2058215 - 04/02/13 09:32 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Plowboy]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Quote:
Sherman Clay & Company announced this week the sale of its stores to Steinway & Sons, a high-end New York piano dealer...

This seems to be the way of the future, Steinway being sold through Steinway Galleries.

So is this just a gimmick to sell pianos with "blowout" going out of business sales? Is the store merely going to be rebranded as a "Steinway Gallery" with the same people running it?

#2058219 - 04/02/13 09:40 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The difference is the ownership of the "Gallery." If it is a Steinway franchised ownership, the store may very well cary other brands. If the "Gallery" is owned by S&S-NY, they will stock only Steinway brand products. Sherman Clay is selling some of their stores to S&S-NY and closing others.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2058395 - 04/02/13 05:35 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
dkong99 Offline

Well, it's official, even the Roseville store which was profitable is being sold. Sad times indeed.

http://www.shermanclay.com/images/email/130401/130401-email-sc.html

#2058441 - 04/02/13 08:11 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Steve Cohen]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

They can afford to!!

As I am sure many other dealers can attest, strong competitors are actually a benefit to the market. Personally, I look forward to a strong presence from Steinway in the Bay Area and hopefully they will do their share in promoting the benefits of playing piano. When a dealer rests on their laurels, and does little to promote or support music, the market for instruments dwindles.

No single store can entirely support a market. Since the late 1970's my store has always done significantly better when we have strong competitors, who join us in supporting the various musical entities and private music groups that comprise our market. Hopefully, the presence of a Steinway factory store will improve the piano market in the Bay Area.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2058444 - 04/02/13 08:33 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: TheLoneliestMonk]
ec168 Offline

Just to clarify, I am not salesman for Sherman Clay, I was offered a Steinway at a discount, which normally no discount was offered. Steinway is out of what I want to spend and we ended up getting a RX5 at an excellent price at a dealer locally.

Sherman Clay is not rebranding their stores to Steinway, Steinway will open two Steinway Gallery in the Bay Area, San Francisco and Walnut Creek. Sherman Clay is liquidating their inventory and they will be closed forever!

#2058777 - 04/03/13 03:33 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: ec168]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just to clarify, I was offered a Steinway at a discount, which normally no discount was offered.

While it is true that in the 1990's, Sherman Clay readily informed customers that they could only purchase a Steinway by joining a "waiting list," that has not been the case in recent years. Mutual customers routinely have informed me of "special offers" that they have been given, and their email blasts since 2009 have reflected many "once in a lifetime" opportunities to purchase Steinways at a "less than retail" price.

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2058945 - 04/03/13 11:05 PM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: ec168]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sherman Clay is liquidating their inventory and they will be closed forever!

No, they are retaining stores in Seattle and Houston.

www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2058971 - 04/04/13 12:12 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: master88er]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: master88er
Sherman Clay is liquidating their inventory and they will be closed forever!

No, they are retaining stores in Seattle and Houston.

Yeah. Sure.

#2058984 - 04/04/13 12:45 AM Re: Sherman-Clay, after 142 years, out of business [Re: Plowboy]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Quote:

This seems to be the way of the future, Steinway being sold through Steinway Galleries.

Sounds pretty accurate to me and a good reflection of where the market is moving for the brand leaders.

After all, Apple Computer is also a Cupertino-based, high-end retailer.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 46 invisible), 1482 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153617 Topics
2251475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
2 minutes 17 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
Today at 05:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission