Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2054624 - 03/26/13 04:14 PM what made you take up the piano?
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of all the instruments to learn, what made you pick the piano? I have always loved the piano, and although it is not an easy instrument, I thought it would be easier than the violin, or the cello or indeed a woodwind or brass instrument.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2054626 - 03/26/13 04:17 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
This is a great question. I am curious to find out what others say here. I started piano as we had a piano at home and my mother plays the piano.

#2054628 - 03/26/13 04:23 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I tried to find the least-accessible, most expensive, hardest to transport instrument available. I'd say I was relatively successful. wink

#2054630 - 03/26/13 04:26 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

The ladies seem to like it. cool

#2054643 - 03/26/13 04:41 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: Scott Hamlin]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was thinking more on the lines of what drew you to the instrument. The sound perhaps? Also, try transporting a cello to your lessons. It would be rather awkward. Also when you are starting the piano you can get away with not sounding that bad, but years ago I lived next door to a family and the boy was learing the trumpet. He sounded awful. A beginner trumpeter sounds worse than a beginner pianist.

Edited by adultpianist (03/26/13 04:48 PM)

#2054645 - 03/26/13 04:45 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
fifi m Offline

My mum. I was a very small child, I had no say in it. I'd had violin lessons, which were a dismal failure (note, anyone trying to teach a four year old to play violin is a candidate for sainthood or sectioning). I think piano was the next instrument she could think of - she's not musical. I think we were both surprised by how much it stuck with me.

The reason it stuck? That sound. The expression. The range. There isn't anything like it. I love how self contained a piano is too - it needs nothing else to make extraordinarily complex, nuanced music.

Edited by fifi m (03/26/13 04:47 PM)

#2054648 - 03/26/13 04:49 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Dulcetta Offline

Loc: U.K.
I had a little toy upright when I was about 5 or 6 and asked to get lessons. I asked and asked and asked and when I was 7..............

The 'rents bought me a classical guitar and sent me to lessons with a non qualified man who learnt more from me than the other way around.
I grew to love my guitar but I guess the yearning to learn piano never went away.

#2054649 - 03/26/13 04:53 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: fifi m]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fifi m
My mum. I was a very small child, I had no say in it. I'd had violin lessons, which were a dismal failure (note, anyone trying to teach a four year old to play violin is a candidate for sainthood or sectioning). I think piano was the next instrument she could think of - she's not musical. I think we were both surprised by how much it stuck with me.

The reason it stuck? That sound. The expression. The range. There isn't anything like it. I love how self contained a piano is too - it needs nothing else to make extraordinarily complex, nuanced music.

My cousin had violin lessons as a very young child and she ended up playing violin in a symphony orchestra and then went on to teach violin. Some people learn violin well and some do not.

#2054654 - 03/26/13 04:58 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
heathermphotog Offline

Loc: Georgia
I was drawn to it at a young age. I just love the sound. And it makes sense to me. I only wished I had stuck with it and practiced as a kid.

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

#2054656 - 03/26/13 04:58 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
fifi m Offline

I definitely fall into the 'not' category. Couldn't understand why I had to keep my arm up even though it was sore, and I had a horrible cheap bow that kept shedding horsehair everywhere.

I think maybe I'm a bit rubbish at all other instruments though. Had a brief attempt to learn trombone when I was 14, went down like a lead balloon. Thank god for keyboards!

#2054668 - 03/26/13 05:17 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: fifi m]
Cobra1365 Offline

Always loved the sound of the piano....especially some smooth lounge jazz.
A few years ago, a buddy of mine surprised us by playing the harmonica. I asked where he learned and he said he was self taught. I figured if he could do it, so could I. So, at 52, I bought a piano and have been working on it since. That was three years ago. I started lessons last August....I realized I was at a point where I didn't know what I didn't know!

Still no where near where I want to be...but my sight reading is improving....still a battle getting the signal to the fingers though! crazy

#2054683 - 03/26/13 05:32 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I almost cut my index-finger off on my left hand in a work accident; the injury impaired my playing my stringed instruments to an extent so I decided to try the piano. I don't think the loss of use in my finger has hindered my piano playing... I just can't play all that well as it is. :-)

I have really enjoyed learning to play the piano, though I wish I could recall the accident and injury to my finger. I wish I had started learning to play the piano years ago.

Rick

#2054690 - 03/26/13 05:44 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Codi Offline

Loc: Banksoda muddy river, Missouri...
When I was small my mom got a really cool OLD upright piano. It was carved with vines and flowers and birds and the keys were all cracked. I was 8 or 9 then, and took lessons for a few years. I quit after that because as a teenager guitar was cooler than piano. I started back up again around age 25, because I missed it. I didn't REALLY get back into it though (as in a daily part of my life) until last summer when I fell in love with a piano I bought off eBay. Its oldness and carvings remind me of that one she used to have.

#2054695 - 03/26/13 05:56 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
What the hill else was there when you`re a kid? And your dad has just bought this shiny brown thingy which my sister carved her initials on . . .

""

#2054715 - 03/26/13 06:18 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: fifi m]
Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
Originally Posted By: fifi m

I definitely agree. It's noble and it has character. Differences between interpretations are so vast that, you can't compare it to any other instrument.

Why piano? I grew up with Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion" series. I adored the piano in November Rain and Estranged. Later on, I unknowingly picked up groups or songs with piano. Prince - Purple Rain, Massive Attack, Pink Floyd and Justin Bieber. Just kidding about JB...

When I listen to some beautiful piece of music, be it a Beethoven symphony or a movie soundtrack, I always look for a beautiful piano transcription. I enjoy listening, why not play?

#2054722 - 03/26/13 06:25 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I, too, was the reluctant recipient of violin lessons as a very young child. The violin teacher gave up on me at age five when, after nearly a year, I still hadn't quite gotten the hang of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'. But I came from a family where *not* playing an instrument wasn't really an option, and so when violin failed, I was sent for piano lessons. Learning the piano was deemed 'easier' by my quasi-professional violinist grandmother.

To this day, I still can't tell you why it stuck with me. The piano I had at home back then was a pretty horrible upright honky-tonk from before WWII (and it probably hadn't been tuned since before WWII). The one at the music school wasn't much better. Plus, in the six months or so that I went to piano lessons before the teacher quit, I learned to play maybe all of five pieces (and I couldn't tell you now which ones they were). I tried again two years later, but encountered a teacher who had trouble believing I would ever progress beyond chopsticks -- and that became a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

I went to boarding school at age nine. The only option there, if I wanted to make music, was to learn to play a brass instrument and join the school band. Which I did. I only really took the piano back up when I was fifteen, and trying to get rid of my eternal feelings of inadequacy when compared to my over-achiever younger sister, who excelled in school, took twelve hours of dance classes a week and excelled in all of those, too, and got 90+ scores on her violin exams despite not practicing very much at all. My only real motivation at that time was that I wanted to do "something more ". And since I already had some familiarity with the keyboard from my childhood piano adventures, the choice of what that 'something more' would be was easily made.

I had the good fortune of encountering a very experienced and very competent piano teacher then. She's the one who really instilled in me a true appreciation for the instrument and its repertoire. She retired not even a year into my lessons with her, but even though life interfered again when I was about seventeen, preventing me from really playing the piano for the next ten years or so, I always knew I would take it back up some day.

So here I am. What drew me to the piano, you ask? The more appropriate question would be who. Her name was Hilde Dombrecht. And in the short time that I knew her, she made a profound and long-lasting impression on me. I will forever be grateful.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2054724 - 03/26/13 06:28 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
The awesome, gorgeous sound, is the primary reason. There is something that I'm just drawn to. No other instrument does it to me the same way. Also the black and white keys are just so logical, beautiful, and perfect.

I think most people have an instrument that speaks to them, more so than others. I am fortunate to have found mine.

#2054732 - 03/26/13 06:39 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
Short Answer is that my parents put me in piano lessons in grade 2 and I honestly don't remember the reason why. Maybe because we had a Yamaha upright.

In any case, 20 years on, I've never looked back. It's the pinnacle of instruments in construction and complexity. I love its ability to build up dense ragged textures like an orchestra then switch to a singing tone the next. That wonderful sensation of rhythmic coordination in the arms and hands keeps my attention at the piano for hours on end and the difficult puzzles of musical analysis always attract my curiosity (and how to get one's fingers there in time!). While other stringed instruments probably take an equal amount of coordination (at least with the fMRI studies I've seen) there is no match for the for the melodic and harmonic complexities coming toward the piano player at the bench.

#2054750 - 03/26/13 07:00 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Well I'm still hoping to acquire a piano but the desire came to me from my upbringing. My father was an amateur keyboardist and I believe he would play piano in the house when I was small, but I was. too young to remember.
Also my older brother was into electronic music and was building synths and things, playing Tomita and other analog synth stuff. Them I got my first keyboard when I was 11, a cheap battery powered reed organ, and immediately set to playing Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene.
Then I got into classical music and discovered the piano. Been dreaming of owning one since!

Edited by LarryShone (03/26/13 07:04 PM)

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2054751 - 03/26/13 07:02 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Osmosis Offline

Loc: Scotland
I also had a little toy piano when I was about 3-4, it only had an octave but I was able to figure out songs (probably nursery rhymes) by ear and would do the same on the family piano (that nobody played in our house) so my slightly deluded parents thought I was some kind of musical genius and eventually got me lessons, which I did until I was about 9. Then we immigrated to Canada and the lessons didn't seem to continue, I think life got too busy for my parents and
we didn't find a new teacher... Fast forward to 2012...I happened to be in the right place at the right time when a school I was working in was trying to get rid of one of their old pianos and without a second of hesitation I offered to take it. I had not consciously thought about taking up piano again but as soon as I realised what I had agreed to (because, as you know, moving a piano is not a simple task), I felt overwhelmed with determination and excitement and absolute certainty that I had to have this piano in my life. It is old and beat up and out of tune but I have had so much enjoyment out of it over the last 9 months. I started lessons in January and just sat my grade 1 exam this morning, and now feel I have truly picked up where I left off over 40 years ago. Thanks for reading my story. Lin

#2054752 - 03/26/13 07:03 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
I was thinking more on the lines of what drew you to the instrument. The sound perhaps? Also, try transporting a cello to your lessons. It would be rather awkward. Also when you are starting the piano you can get away with not sounding that bad, but years ago I lived next door to a family and the boy was learing the trumpet. He sounded awful. A beginner trumpeter sounds worse than a beginner pianist.

Depends on the distance between houses. Trumpets cut through walls a lot easier, for sure, but the embouchure doesn't last as long as the fingers of a beginning pianist. A kid banging on a piano can sound pretty darn bad after 2 hours. wink

(PS- I happen to play both instruments in question. smile )

So, my real answer, then? Mom took an old player upright from the 1830s. Player system was gutted, but I'm pretty sure Wild Bill put a couple bullet holes in it that were still there.

She used to play it while I was trying to sleep, and I could never go to sleep while the music was playing because I was mesmerized by it.

Next thing you know, I started learning trumpet. Learned how to read music. Asked my mom what "Middle C" was one day. Then, I put a piece of tape on it with the note name. Put a piece of tape on each note above and below it for two octaves, picked up a piece, and started figuring it out.

A couple weeks later, Mom came home and I was playing the same piece she was. That night, they asked me if I wanted to take lessons. The rest isn't really noteworthy history, but it is, as they say, history. wink

#2054812 - 03/26/13 09:01 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

My friends daughter was taken to piano lesson and hated it. She refused to continue but wanted to learn an instrument, so they sold the piano and bought her a clarinet which she loves.

#2054814 - 03/26/13 09:05 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love the tonality of it as well as it being a childhood dream of mine.

#2054835 - 03/26/13 10:04 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I bought a keyboard because I enjoyed an Android tablet app where you press the keys on the screen (like app on the Ipad mini commercial)

#2054846 - 03/26/13 10:15 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Have always wanted to play piano.
Piano allows a complete learning experience in music.
Piano is good for composing.
Piano stands on it's own like no other instrument.
To me, there is something about the sound of a Kawai Grand. Their taste in how a piano should sound is perfection to me. I lust for it. A Kawai Grand is not to be played. That is far too vulgar. It is to be made love to.

I won't bore you with a book about me.

#2054901 - 03/27/13 12:15 AM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think, but I am not sure, it's because my mother played it.

I was a military brat. I have very, very dim memories, of when I must have been around 3 or 4, of my mother playing a piano (Summer of 42 and ... something else ... sort of a classical piano piece by a one-hit wonder, maybe with "summer" in the title, very arpeggiated).

But I got older, lived in a different state, and we didn't have a piano.

One state later, I asked my parents out of the blue if I could learn to play piano. I don't know why. I don't think there was anything that spurred the question. They bought a piano and I started lessons with the lady across the street.

I'm not at all sure why I kept up with it. I just did. I didn't stop, because I guess I couldn't stop. However, there were probably weeks and months at a time when I couldn't and didn't start.

But I'm still doing it now.

Sometimes I'm not sure why, but I can't not do it. Even though some days I can't start doing it.

#2055132 - 03/27/13 02:23 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

For me its just the most versatile, dynamic and beautiful instrument. Im pretty big on classical music but my favourite pieces are for piano!

#2055135 - 03/27/13 02:25 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: Sand Tiger]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
I bought a keyboard because I enjoyed an Android tablet app where you press the keys on the screen (like app on the Ipad mini commercial)

I had an app like that on my android phone, full 88 keyboard, scrolling or overlaid in layers.

#2055147 - 03/27/13 02:52 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: adultpianist]
Codi Offline

Loc: Banksoda muddy river, Missouri...
Originally Posted By: adultpianist

I tried the trumpet in the school band my freshman year. I never practiced though, because when first learning, I was terrible of course, and so was embarrassed to practice because of the horrible sound! At least the piano has a "quiet" button haha!

#2055169 - 03/27/13 03:30 PM Re: what made you take up the piano? [Re: Codi]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have always loved music. I started out dancing as a five year old (tap and ballet), then I started singing while dancing for anyone who would listen by the time I was five. I loved to perform. I guess my parents figured piano had to be next. I started lessons at seven and truly fell in love with the instrument. My parents gave me lessons until I was 12, and then we moved to a small town that had no piano teacher. I continued playing though. After I went to college, life intervened for three decades. When I rediscovered piano, the love was still just as strong. I get lost in the beauty of the sound. The ability to make music is a wonderful gift. The piano is the ultimate solo instrument. Unlike many other instruments, its song is complete, without the need of other instruments to accompany it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (ajames, aesop, accordeur, aDino, 35 invisible), 1713 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295133 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission