2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 177 of 540 1 2 175 176 177 178 179 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Congrats to SwissMS Allerd and Ragdoll for successful lessons and practice.

SwissMS - I love the nocturn. I haven't played it myself but have just heard someone play. It gets dramatic towards the end and she was moving all over the keys. I'm sure you are totally having fun.

Andy - you are funny. I now know why I swear at it when I play Bach. Because he trip people off! I also find Bach to be easier to hide mistakes when I'm playing. People have no idea what they are listening to anyway (they don't expect melody lines singing).

My practice is going well. I'm just sick with chest cold.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

SwissMS - I love the nocturn. I haven't played it myself but have just heard someone play. It gets dramatic towards the end and she was moving all over the keys. I'm sure you are totally having fun.

I am loving the Nocturne! Once I am into the Piu Mosso section, my teacher is continuing to remind me to breathe. By the time I get to the "spooky" part at the end, anoxia sets in and I come off track. It is a lot of fun, though!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger - sounds like your composing is coming a long well - and how great to be looking at options for a new digital! Thanks for the info on yoga - I know I have to do something for my neck and shoulders!

Ragdoll - sounds like some serious progress going on in your world -that is just great!
SwissMS - isn't it grand to get praise from the teacher! And and "I've got it" moment too! Wonderful! and new music? Does it get any better? smile

Allard - I'm so glad you're going to play in the recital - this will be number 2 for you I think? I wonder what you are going to present to us?

FarmGirl - I hope you get over your cold soon!!!!!!!

My ATOW was to show my teacher that I COULD play my darned German Dances! So there!
smile He was really pleased to see that I'd been able to get the phrasing right on the 4th dance (he wondered if I'd be able to change, as I'd wandered into playing it incorrectly over the holidays and had it down pat, incorrectly, but I got it back on track!!!!!)
As for the 1st Dance, I did it well enough that he said I'd learned what was important from it and it wasn't important to work any further on it.

Now I've got to wrap up my jazz piece for the recital, work on my baroque piece and I'm starting on Schumann's "Melody". I will also be starting on An Old Romance Composed by Stephen Heller in the near future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ygai-XlfN8

My teacher said that Heller isn't extremely well known, but he wrote some lovey pieces which he (Heller) modestly referred to as "studies" but which are charming bits of music.
Let's see what I do with it smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
Casinitaly, will the German Dances go into the piano bar? Would be fun to see the place dancing laugh

My piece has been played on the recitals before, but... well, it's my favourite too! The alternative would be playing another David Lanz piece, and everyone knows I play nothing else, haha. I'm practising piano daily and aim to participate in all the quarterly recitals. Yesterday I actually played my piece in a sort-of-public place: the local music school's public baby grand. It doesn't sound very good, yet playing on a real instrument, with the occasional passer-by listening, feels so much better than playing my digital at home. I even didn't mess up everything.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Reading this at mayo clinic.
Cheryl that's fantastic. I'm glad you showed him what you can do. The Heller piece is beautiful. Sounds like you are making lots of progress.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - sounds like some serious progress going on in your world -that is just great!

Oh yah, and my lesson today was just terrific! Teacher says she noticed a real difference too. We even had time to play a duet I had never seen before yippie. It was a very simple one which I can't recall the name of except it was from "Pocahontas". Sight read it with a couple mistakes but perfect the second go round. I'm so stoked today!

FarmGirl , thanks for your kind words. Hope you feel better soon, I'll lift you up in prayer.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, nice to hear that your lesson was OK today!

I didn't have mine - I only have lesson every second Tuesday - and my AOTW is that I succeeded in practicing scales every day in the last week. The fact is that I prefer studying/ plying my pieces, and scales were always left for... tomorrow.
But in the in another thread I promised myself to practice scales (and arpeggios) at least once a week in 2013, and I'm seeing the strength of a public commitment.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, congratulations on whipping your German Dances into shape! It must feel good to put them on the shelf. That Heller piece is beautiful. Have fun with it!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Allard: No, I don't think my German Dances will go to the piano bar. I'm not keen enough on them to want to record them. I really want to move on!
As for your piece having been played in a recital before... That's never a problem! You've already realized that the same pieces show up more than once - sometimes even in the same recital. It is always great to hear a different take on a familiar piece. Good for you for taking the opportunity to play in a public place!!!!

FarmGirl - I hope you're not at the Mayo Clinic because you're so sick you have to be there!!!!! I don't know what kind of progress I'm making, to be honest, I'm so unclear. I know that changes are happening, but it feels desperately slow. I'm excited about the new pieces though, that's for sure - Get well soon!

Ragdoll - what a fun lesson. I loved playing duets with my former teacher. I hope to be able to play some again in the future..... it is really exciting to play with someone else. I can hear the enthusiasm in your "voice"!

Torquenale --- good for you for working on those scales. I think we all tend to put them off as much as we can... they just aren't as much fun as music. But at some point we do buckle down and do them....It is sort of like doing the dishes after a wonderful meal...not fun, but you always need the clean dishes.

SwissMS - thanks! I've been listening to the Heller and reading the score - (I was too tired last night to play after work, and I haven't had a chance to get to the piano yet today..... but it won't be long now!

[Linked Image]

T
T
I have a small achievement:

When I went to press Control-Alt-Delete on the computer, I used fingers 3 and 5 very confidently without even thinking about it. I used to have to really concentrate on pressing these with my thumb and second finger... back in the days before piano. Finger 4 behaved itself perfectly and didnt interfere at all. Yay for finger independence!

I love piano moments that happen at work.

Last edited by Toastie; 01/16/13 09:33 AM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie
I have a small achievement:

When I went to press Control-Alt-Delete on the computer, I used fingers 3 and 5 very confidently without even thinking about it. I used to have to really concentrate on pressing these with my thumb and second finger... back in the days before piano. Finger 4 behaved itself perfectly and didnt interfere at all. Yay for finger independence!

I love piano moments that happen at work.

That's actually pretty cool.

Your post prompted me to do a Control-alt-delete to see which fingers I use!

I use 2&4, but I can see that 3 & 5 could be comfortable too.

[Linked Image]

F
F
I printed out some sheet music, and I'm ready to rock and roll with my 'training'! The learning begins here, going ahead with Mikrokosmos and aiming to start on some Tchaikovsky later on which I might get ready for an ABF recital in the 3rd or 4th quarter if I'm awesome enough (unlikely).

I also bought loads of classical piano music to get myself familiar with the genre. Yippee..

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I had my first lesson on how to use the foot pedal today. Cannot wait for the next lesson. Mind you, all we did was play a couple of chords with the pedal. Its a whole different issue playing a whole tune with pedals.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cannot wait for the next lesson. Mind you, all we did was play a couple of chords with the pedal. Its a whole different issue playing a whole tune with pedals.

Especially when the score has one bracketed indication in the first measure and only says Ped Sim for the rest of it grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
A
A
Or just "con ped" with no clue how and where :s

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
It took me FOREVER to lean to use the pedal - -- no, to even TRY to learn to use the pedal. I hated the increased swell of sound at first!

I'm still not really comfortable with it, but I'm getting there.

I had endless discussions with my teacher about why there weren't more indications and she said that for the most part it is just too subjective.

There was a cute post in the teacher's forum where they talk about things kids say. One little girl asked what the elephants were for (the old-fashioned Ped notation looks a bit like an elephant if you use your imagination smile

[Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
casinitaly,

I totally agree with you. I have a Clavinova, and it only has 2 pedals which I thought was sad, but I never use the 2 pedals. Well, I have a grand now and it has 3 petals and I don't use any of the pedals,

Mind you, I am only a beginner and few pieces call for pedal use. I will use the pedal as part of learning when called for and otherwise probably not.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Some people are good enough to know when to pedal where the score does not indicate. You have to listen and know when the pedal will enhance the bit in the score

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Well I totally sucked today during our studio class. I started adding unacoda, new pedal change last night after my lesson. Then on stage today, I could not remember the damn thing. I was all over until my teacher finally told me to start over without the new pedal. I managed to play through it but it was bad. I felt like dragging my shakey fingers. Also I met full member of her studio class. I am the least advanced them all. It's seriously humbling experience.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 01/19/13 07:27 PM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Don't be too hard on yourself, FarmGirl. That was a big bite to chew--starting to learn una corda and playing it in a studio class right away.

Take some deep breaths, get a good night's sleep, and get back at the piano.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Page 177 of 540 1 2 175 176 177 178 179 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission