Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
99 registered (Artur Gajewski, anamnesis, bennevis, Al LaPorte, 30 invisible), 1344 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 91 of 102 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 101 102 >
Topic Options
#2028056 - 02/06/13 12:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: starbug]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Bleh.
*discouraged*

Maybe I could be demoted to book 1. I can't play anything.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2028144 - 02/06/13 02:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Hang on malkin, you know it gets better! wink

#2028252 - 02/06/13 05:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Malkin,

I've followed your progress for a few years and you seem to be doing fine. You have a great, self-deprecating sense of humor. Like many of us adult learners, you are very hard on yourself.

Just remember... grin

Originally Posted By: malkin
One time, my teacher sort of blurted out, "You are so easy to teach!"

It was the best compliment ever. I still hope he thinks that, at least every now and then

I'm sure your teacher is right and you are a very good student.
Hope you get over the rough patch soon.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2028629 - 02/07/13 09:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the encouragement sinophilia and JimF.

I'm in a bit of a generalized February Funk, I think. The weather is cold and gray, the air is polluted, so we've all got sore throats and burning eyes, and we haven't received the fixit part for our bicycles which are under recall (LONG story).

#2029274 - 02/08/13 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Malkin I'm with you! The last two weeks have been horrible! You'd think I'd never touched a piano before. My teacher thinks I'm just tired from the weather and overworking lately.

I'm going to keep plodding along and hope it improves.

Today I officially started book 2! I am starting to learn La Bamba and For He's a Jolly Good Fellow. smile I still have Greensleeves and What a Wonderful World on the go, so I have my fingers full now. wink

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2029309 - 02/08/13 01:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gahdzila Offline

Hi guys!

See there, sinophilia? I told you that you would pass me up! thumb Good job!

Congrats and welcome, Becca. I seem to remember crossing paths with you elsewhere on the forum. Maybe in the Book 1 thread.

Things come in spurts for me. I'm currently in a lull waiting on a big spurt LOL. I'm working on Loch Lommand, and it's coming along, but very slowly.

One would think that we would practice less in the summer (when it's warm outside, because we want to go play outside!) and more in the winter (when it's cold and dreary outside, and we are inside all the time anyway). But I agree - I'm kinda in a winter blah myself. There's also a lot of drama at my work, and it permeates everywhere. When I have free time, I just want to rest and relax and do nothing.

On the other hand, I've been working on Ivan Sings by Khachaturian. It's a lovely little piece, and it's very very close to being polished.

#2043906 - 03/06/13 12:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: gahdzila]
Stephen300o Offline

I'm in a bit of confusion with repeats in La Raspa.
I'm guessing you play to '1.(to next strain)' , skipping 2, the last two lines look more like normal repeats but then 'D. C. Al Fine' sends you back to play Fine?
Seems in an odd order, or I'm just having brain fade again?

Thanks.

#2043954 - 03/06/13 01:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
It looks a bit confusing, but you play the first part with ending 1, then the second part with ending 1, repeat second part one octave higher with ending 2, then start all over, playing the first part accelerating slowly, with ending 2 which notes the end of the song. D. C. al Fine sends you back to the start until you hit Fine. The closing double dot thingie sends you back to the matching opening pair of dots. Good luck!

#2043996 - 03/06/13 03:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Allard]
Stephen300o Offline

Thanks a lot.

#2048422 - 03/14/13 09:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
heathermphotog Offline

Loc: Georgia
I just began posting in the forums after much lurking. I, too, am in book 2. I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I bought all 3 level books and at one point zipped through book 2 without really trying to learn the information in it. And I didn't try to perfect the techniques and lessons. I'm very impatient, but that's not good. So I recently took a few weeks off and then went back through my Alfred books from the beginning. I found this quite helpful and am enjoying the book this second time around, really trying to learn inversions, etc.

I'm so glad to find these forums ... So excited to learn and improve on the piano smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

#2048587 - 03/15/13 06:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Hello Heather! Congratulations on your acoustic!

I enjoyed most of Alfred's book 2, but I'm also a very impatient person. My approach to these books is basically to learn about a song a week, study all the technique and theory in it and then move on (somebody called this "the weekly throw-away song" method). Once in a while I select a favorite song to fully memorize and polish with the aim of getting a decent recording of it - but maybe just 6 or 7 in the entire book. I don't think it's necessary to perfect all songs, but make sure to practice all the basic techniques.

#2048607 - 03/15/13 07:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
heathermphotog Offline

Hi Diana! It's great to be here smile

I'm a bit of a perfectionist ... OK a lot of a perfectionist! My impatience led to me not really practicing all the techniques, which is why I am going back through it. But you're right - thanks for reminding me that I don't have to do everything perfectly! smile

Knabe WMV247

#2048933 - 03/15/13 11:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
Hello everyone on book 2. I'm starting Amazing Grace in book 1 this week, so will be starting book 2 soon.

I have been debating whether or not to go onto book 2 for a few weeks. I was considering moving to another method such as First Impressions by M'lou Dietzer, the Keith Snell books, or even just doing ABRSM material by grade. My primary interest is pop, and styles such as rhythm and blues. I'd like to do the Pop Piano method by Mark Harrison, but need to get to the point where I can do that without struggling. And thus, I decided to stay in the Alfred's books since they seem to be more in line with my long term goal.

So I'll be following along in your thread, and would like to join in. smile I'm wondering if anyone else was considering switching methods between books, and if so are you satisfied with your choice to continue with Alfred?

#2052192 - 03/21/13 11:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Anyone else have difficulty learning Chopin Etude Op 10 No 3 from this book. I know this is not the full etude and perhaps the changed key is to make it easier, but it does not seem consistent with the relatively straight forward music of the book. To my mind it even makes Pachobel's Cannon in D which is supposed to be an advanced piece, seem easy. Anyway I am struggling so far but hope to master it. It may take a lot longer though than the other pieces

#2052260 - 03/22/13 03:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

@earlofmar
Indeed, the Chopin Etude is probably the most difficult piece in the whole book, even in its simplified form! That's my opinion anyway. I had a very hard time learning it and could never bring it up to tempo.

@hamlet cat
I am also more into learning pop/blues/folk than classical music, and I find the Alfred's method just perfect because it's a blend of all this! But I also bought the Piano for All series, it's a completely different method which mainly teaches chords, rhythms, and accompaniment techniques. You might want to have a look at it.

#2052694 - 03/22/13 07:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: earlofmar]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
I agree with Sinophilia that Etude 10-3 is one of the hardest pieces in Book 2. For me, also a favorite--one of those that I continued to play (eventually from memory). It's worth the effort, imo.

The key (F major) isn't (imo) necessarily easier, it's just that the key of the original piece (E major) isn't introduced until half way through Book 3. Even with the simplified arrangement in Book 2, there's a lot going on in the music. Several voices, a couple of grace notes, some two-part writing, a range of dynamics, four "parts" to learn (starting with first full measure, m.1-5 and m.9-13; m.6-8; m.14-16; m.17-end).

Best wishes with the piece and the rest of the book!

#2052707 - 03/22/13 08:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Stubbie]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stubbie
I agree with Sinophilia that Etude 10-3 is one of the hardest pieces in Book 2. For me, also a favorite--one of those that I continued to play (eventually from memory). It's worth the effort, imo.

The key (F major) isn't (imo) necessarily easier, it's just that the key of the original piece (E major) isn't introduced until half way through Book 3. Even with the simplified arrangement in Book 2, there's a lot going on in the music. Several voices, a couple of grace notes, some two-part writing, a range of dynamics, four "parts" to learn (starting with first full measure, m.1-5 and m.9-13; m.6-8; m.14-16; m.17-end).

Best wishes with the piece and the rest of the book!

AND it is likely that it is one's first experience with all the stuff Stubbie mentions.

#2052746 - 03/22/13 10:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
gahdzila Offline

Hey, guys!

Welcome, Heather and hamlet and earl!

I suppose if the pieces were interesting to me, I'd practice on them more and roll through at a breakneck one-a-week speed like Diana wink ha , but most of them just aren't that interesting to me.

I started Danny Boy last week, though, so I'm getting there! This is the 2nd to last piece in the book!

I am also working on Chopin's Prelude in E minor Op 28 no 4. What a BEAUTIFUL piece. I've wanted to play this for a while, and finally asked my teacher if she thought I could tackle it, and she replied, "oh, yeah, this one will be easy for you." LOL. As I've mentioned before, she always overestimates my abilities, so I figure if she thinks it will be easy for me, then I should be able to get it sounding good in a couple of months with a lot of work. It's coming along pretty good so far.

I finally dropped Mozart's Sonata Facile. I worked on this one for a long time, 10 months or so. I think it really was over my head and beyond my abilities. I could muddle through the whole thing, and most of it was memorized...but I never did get it up to even a moderate tempo. Nonetheless, it was great practice for me to work on it, and I learned a LOT.

#2052749 - 03/22/13 10:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: heathermphotog]
gahdzila Offline

Originally Posted By: heathermphotog
I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I'm so jealous!!!

We started on a rickety old acoustic that wouldn't hold a tune. It wasn't long before I bought a Casio digital...but it's just not the same. I've really got the itch to buy a new acoustic.

My teacher's studio is in the back of the local piano store...which means I have to walk by all the gorgeous new pianos every time I go to my lesson. Naturally, this makes my itch that much worse! I've been eyeing one....but I haven't played it because I'm afraid I'll fall madly in love and buy it on the spot! But I may not be able to resist much longer.

#2052753 - 03/22/13 10:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: gahdzila]
heathermphotog Offline

Originally Posted By: gahdzila
Originally Posted By: heathermphotog
I'm working on hava nagalia on my brand new piano smile ... I was playing before on my little digital yamaha piano. And that was fine, but what a joy to play and practice on my new acoustic!

I'm so jealous!!!

We started on a rickety old acoustic that wouldn't hold a tune. It wasn't long before I bought a Casio digital...but it's just not the same. I've really got the itch to buy a new acoustic.

My teacher's studio is in the back of the local piano store...which means I have to walk by all the gorgeous new pianos every time I go to my lesson. Naturally, this makes my itch that much worse! I've been eyeing one....but I haven't played it because I'm afraid I'll fall madly in love and buy it on the spot! But I may not be able to resist much longer.

I know! My husband and I have been looking casually for about a year, but then when my youngest fell in love with playing it gave us the perfect excuse to buy one. I grew up playing an old acoustic as well that was never in tune, but there was just something about it that I loved. I hope you are able to scratch that itch soon smile

Knabe WMV247

#2052881 - 03/23/13 10:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: heathermphotog]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

I would be completely doomed if my piano were any nicer! I'd never get anything else done, and I'd probably forget about going to work entirely.

I had been playing the yamaha clavi that I won in a raffle and taking group class at the university when I started wanting to look around at acoustics. Brewer used to sell pianos, and pretty well had his mind made up that an acoustic piano was just more trouble than it was worth, but he took me shopping anyway. At the second place we went, he was smitten with our Vogel upright--to the point where he dreamed about it (!)--and that was that.

#2053759 - 03/25/13 12:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sinophilia]
hamlet cat Offline

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
@earlofmar

@hamlet cat
I am also more into learning pop/blues/folk than classical music, and I find the Alfred's method just perfect because it's a blend of all this! But I also bought the Piano for All series, it's a completely different method which mainly teaches chords, rhythms, and accompaniment techniques. You might want to have a look at it.

Hi sinophilia. I think I'll stick with the regular book 2, but I'll take a look at the All series next time I'm at the music store. I have a habit of buying too many piano music books and already have enough to keep me busy a long, long time. I'm determined to use each and every one of them at some point. smile

#2053760 - 03/25/13 12:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: gahdzila]
hamlet cat Offline

Originally Posted By: gahdzila
Hey, guys!

Welcome, Heather and hamlet and earl!

I suppose if the pieces were interesting to me, I'd practice on them more and roll through at a breakneck one-a-week speed like Diana wink ha , but most of them just aren't that interesting to me.

I started Danny Boy last week, though, so I'm getting there! This is the 2nd to last piece in the book!

I am also working on Chopin's Prelude in E minor Op 28 no 4. What a BEAUTIFUL piece. I've wanted to play this for a while, and finally asked my teacher if she thought I could tackle it, and she replied, "oh, yeah, this one will be easy for you." LOL. As I've mentioned before, she always overestimates my abilities, so I figure if she thinks it will be easy for me, then I should be able to get it sounding good in a couple of months with a lot of work. It's coming along pretty good so far.

I finally dropped Mozart's Sonata Facile. I worked on this one for a long time, 10 months or so. I think it really was over my head and beyond my abilities. I could muddle through the whole thing, and most of it was memorized...but I never did get it up to even a moderate tempo. Nonetheless, it was great practice for me to work on it, and I learned a LOT.

Congratulations for progressing to the point where you can start on a song that you really like. You will probably do really well with it because you like the song so much. I think that really helps.

I'm collecting slowly collecting sheet music of some songs that I'd like to do, but for the most part they are too far ahead of my current skill. So its book 2 for me, for now!

#2053790 - 03/25/13 03:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: hamlet cat]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: hamlet cat
Hi sinophilia. I think I'll stick with the regular book 2, but I'll take a look at the All series next time I'm at the music store. I have a habit of buying too many piano music books and already have enough to keep me busy a long, long time. I'm determined to use each and every one of them at some point. smile

I think the Piano for All series is only available online (pdf's with videos and mp3's) > pianoforall.com

But I'm with you on the 'too many books' thing, I think most of us adult beginners is guilty of this crime! I'm actually starting to pare down instead of increasing my learning materials.

#2054311 - 03/25/13 11:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sinophilia]
hamlet cat Offline

I think the Piano for All series is only available online (pdf's with videos and mp3's) > pianoforall.com

But I'm with you on the 'too many books' thing, I think most of us adult beginners is guilty of this crime! I'm actually starting to pare down instead of increasing my learning materials.

My mistake, sinophilia. For some reason I was thinking about the Alfred All In One books when you mentioned the All series. I looked at that web site and noticed on one of the pages, it shows color coded pictures of the keyboard, instead of regular music notation on the staff. Is that they way the entire coarse is done?

#2054370 - 03/26/13 02:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: hamlet cat]
sinophilia Offline

My mistake, sinophilia. For some reason I was thinking about the Alfred All In One books when you mentioned the All series. I looked at that web site and noticed on one of the pages, it shows color coded pictures of the keyboard, instead of regular music notation on the staff. Is that they way the entire coarse is done?

Actually these books also use standard notation (something I like and understand better, having been through Alfred's books 1 and 2), it's just that the author keeps telling you "don't ask why it is like this, just trust me for now". That's the approach, to start you playing rhythms and chord progressions straight away without thinking too much. Videos are especially useful.

#2054482 - 03/26/13 10:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Stephen300o Offline

Still having fun in the refresh section at the start. The amount of La's in La Bamba are different every time played! Quite an achievement I feel.

#2054545 - 03/26/13 12:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sinophilia]
hamlet cat Offline

Actually these books also use standard notation (something I like and understand better, having been through Alfred's books 1 and 2), it's just that the author keeps telling you "don't ask why it is like this, just trust me for now". That's the approach, to start you playing rhythms and chord progressions straight away without thinking too much. Videos are especially useful.

You know, I might just give it a try.

I really like Alfred's for its structured approach, smooth progression of material, and probably a few other reasons. But I do feel I need to supplement it with other material. The sheet music for songs that I'm collecting for the future are pretty much all above my current level, and I don't think it would be the best use of my time to learn them now. I think maybe at the end of Alfred book 2, I will be in a better position to tackle some of them.

Meanwhile, I need material that will help my technical ability progress. I'm the type of person that needs to understand the details, and I'm quite interested in theory and learning as I go. Even though the Piano for All series that you mention asks one to "just trust me for now", I have the ability to investigate what I need further clarification on, and can do so. Primarily, I need to improve my overall technical ability.

Also, I trust your assessment of the series. smile So, I'm close to purchasing it, maybe 80% sure at this time.

#2054845 - 03/26/13 10:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Stephen300o]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stephen300o
Still having fun in the refresh section at the start. The amount of La's in La Bamba are different every time played! Quite an achievement I feel.

Stephen, when I was working on La Bamba I watched a whole bunch of different versions of it on youtube==not just the piano versions, all sorts of crazy versions. It was great fun!

#2054939 - 03/27/13 02:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: hamlet cat]
sinophilia Offline

Also, I trust your assessment of the series. smile So, I'm close to purchasing it, maybe 80% sure at this time.

You can also check other people's opinions on this forum, there was a thread about it! I'm finishing the first of the 8 books, it's very quick to go through if you already know a few things, but I learnt some useful patterns.

Page 91 of 102 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 101 102 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Why single note intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
11/26/14 06:46 AM
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159361 Topics
2340946 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission