2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 188 of 540 1 2 186 187 188 189 190 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Saranoya,

Re the Boston. They are pretty nice piano's. I assume you know they are actually made by Kawaii. When I was piano shopping I tried a number of 156's and thought they played "bigger" than their length, if you know what I mean.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JimF
I assume you know they are actually made by Kawai.

I do. This is what I was referring to with my final comment. The consensus seems to be that for the price of any given Boston piano, one can get a better Kawai.

I'm not sure. I've read comments online that say most Asian-made pianos sound 'tinny' and 'metallic'. Now, I didn't get to try any kind of Kawai piano at any of the three stores I've recently been at, but I found the 'tinny sound' comment to be true of most Yamaha models I tried. Not so for the Boston (at least, I didn't think so).

It must be said, however, that the piano I play when I go for my lesson each week is also a small Yamaha grand, and it doesn't sound nearly as tinny as any of the Yamaha pianos I played at the store. I suppose a piano's voice changes as it ages, so it's hard to judge its true sound when brand-new (this may be an excellent argument to only buy used!). And anyway, if we're going to start generalizing, then I suppose the Boston should also be included in the broad 'Asian-made' category, and then the conclusion would be that it, too, supposedly sounds 'tinny'. Which, to my ear at least, it doesn't.

Originally Posted by JimF
When I was piano shopping I tried a number of 156's and thought they played "bigger" than their length, if you know what I mean.

That's the impression I got, as well.

Out of curiosity: what did you end up buying, and why? ETA: never mind, it's in your signature. The second part of the question remains, though: what made you pick the Estonia?

Last edited by Saranoya; 02/12/13 06:29 PM. Reason: RTFS (a.k.a.: Read the F--censored-- Signature)

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW is my teacher has today "blessed" Moonlight 1st movement. Just means I won't be playing it for her any more and can continue to try and improve it on my own.

Now I can turn my attention to the Beethoven Minuet and the piece we have chosen for her spring recital, which I don't think I've mentioned here yet.

Most of Chopin's Sonata No. 2 in Bb minor is way, way beyond my abilities, and probably always will be, but there is a pretty little section in the third movement that my teacher found that is very nice. It looks challenging but doable, with a lot of left hand movement doing arpeggios and a right hand melody with some interesting fingering and a few really long trills. It is funny because it is a nice little melodic section sandwiched in the middle of Chopin's famous funeral march, which is more than just a little bit somber.

At least I have three months to work on it.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, have you heard David Lanz's "Variations on a Theme From Pachelbel's Canon in D Major"? You say you don't like the Canon, but do like Romantic music. I know it's a 'little bit' beyond Alfred level...

Well thanks Allard, not to put too fine a point on it but I didn't say I didn't "like" the Canon but that it didn't interest me... however, after hearing this clip you posted I may rethink it. It's lovely really.

When I talked to my teacher today about my decision of changing to the Night Song instead of the Canon, she played both for me and truely encouraged me to give the Canon (in Fabers) another try for her Spring Recital in March. She said I could do the one in Alfred's if I wanted but she thought the Faber's version would be more to my benefit. confused Anyway, I am going to give this another try for a week or so even though I may not play it in the recital at all, we'll see how it goes. grin And again, thanks much for that clip.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Stubbie, which version of Canon in D are you doing?
.....snip.....

The version I'm working on is this one:
Monica K's Canon in D video
I started with the Canon in D version at the back of Alfred's AIO Book 2, then moved on to this one. It was a big bite....and I'm not done chewing on it yet, lol, but I certainly am enjoying the process. It can be played more slowly than in the video and sound decent, but to really get the full benefit of the melody in the RH when the sixteenth notes are being played in both hands, you have to get the pace moving a bit.

Allard--nice version of 'D' you posted.

SwissMS--so did you look like you thought you did when you did a video of yourself playing?

JimF--Moonlight Sonata--excellent. I would like to start it, but have to get over nerves(nerves = those ugly early efforts before you get the notes under your fingers)with respect to playing it in front of my husband, who sat down and played it darn near perfectly after not having played it for 40 years. He's much too nice to say anything, but I know he knows. blush Silly of me, yes, but still: blush

All of you AOTWers doing 4 vs 3--good on you. I'm working on a simple 2 vs 3 and it's not pretty. For the 2 vs 3 (or 3 vs 2) I use a simple (and rather drab) 'Not Dif-i-cult.' (Don't I wish.)

FArmGirl--Arizona is nice, at least if you grew up in northern U.S. like I did where winter lasted forever and it was cloudy 25 hours a day. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher gave me the censored version of the 3-against-4 phrase: "Pass the gol' durn butter".

Saranoya, I'm sure we'll enjoy your recital piece, mistakes, noise, and all. Don't fret; just enjoy being a part of it.

I spent most of the week on my third Bach 3-part Invention -- doubling the speed and working toward smoother transitions between phrases. It used to be that I didn't like Bach very much, but these Inventions have become fascinating to me; it's been a bit difficult to draw my attention away from them.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Sorry. I know it's upside down but I cannot fix it. As you can see now these quarter notes are trplets. So there are four quarter notes worth of notes in both lines. But it's written in cut time so it has be played twice as fast to the point you can feel two beats per measure even though there are four beats (if it weren't cut time).

Just reading that opening segment, I immediately feel it in a kind of 6/8 time which would have a very similar feel to triplets in cut time. Are there a bunch of polyrhythms in this piece?
yes all the way through 3 against 4.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS I think your nocturn is much more difficult than my little étude. My teacher is having me do this as a prep for the next one.

Stubbie, well Arizona is wonderful now but it's frigging hot in summer.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS I think your nocturn is much more difficult than my little étude. My teacher is having me do this as a prep for the next one.

Stubbie, well Arizona is wonderful now but it's frigging hot in summer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

SwissMS--so did you look like you thought you did when you did a video of yourself playing?

Let's just say I can see what my teacher is talking about - still way too much tension in my right hand. At least I know what to work on.

FarmGirl, I think I would go nuts with 3 against 4 for an entire piece! I can hold it together for a measure or two, but a page worth must be a lot of concentration! My nocturne is really a lot of fun. It is all over the keyboard. I still haven't managed to get the arpeggios at the end at the speed I want them.

I might get to go piano shopping too! We live in an eight unit apartment building, but it is Swiss built with eight inch, concrete walls outside and between units. We are on a ground floor, and my neighbor upstairs says she never hears anything from our apartment. So, this week we are running a test. I am playing my Avant Grand at full volume and she will let me know if she hears anything. If she doesn't, I go shopping!

A
A
Wait, wait, you have an Avant Grand? Why would you ever need to go shopping? Are you going to buy a 100k+ concert grand?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No, I like my Avant Grand N2, but I miss the feel of an acoustic piano. I am looking for a small grand, around 158 cm. I had a Mason Hamlin BB in the US, and I really miss that mellow, rich sound. I do not have the space (or budget) for anything nearly that big or powerful. The AG is an excellent practice piano, but I find it does not have the touch or tone that I would like. It is a compromise that is perfect living in an apartment. I intend to keep it as well for silent practice. However, if I can have a small grand, that would be wonderful.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Yay, I can finally post an achievement! I can now say that I'm officially done with Alfred's book 2!

I will keep practicing a few favorite pieces, but starting next Monday I will be on book 3. I sketched a plan for the rest of the year featuring a mix of Alfred's + sight-reading + technique + ear playing and I'm pretty excited by it smile

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Pareto principle...sure that makes sense that it works with piano as well. I haven't had a lesson in weeks...work interferes with my Friday morning time slot. I've still be assigning myself challenges. Last week when I was at the Piano Celebration at the university I met a woman who teaches. We talked about what we're working on and I shared that I have picked up the level 2 book to accomplish those simpler pieces up to tempo (I'd never had even a little Mozart or Beethoven up to tempo). Her opinion: "can't be done, you can't accomplish speed as an adult". Taken aback I chose to disagree with her because I believe that with practice, correct technique and brain plasticity...anything (well almost) is possible. My accomplishment??? The Mozart Menuetto I in C Major is at 112 bpm. Whooohoooo. The Beethoven? It's in 2/4 time so only at half time so far. I think it's progress.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Her opinion: "can't be done, you can't accomplish speed as an adult". Taken aback I chose to disagree with her because I believe that with practice, correct technique and brain plasticity...anything (well almost) is possible...

Her idea of speed may be quite different from ours.

Good work ignoring her and working on tempo!

Learner
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks Malkin...I don't imagine being a virtuoso BUT would like to play intermediate pieces at the tempo in which they were imagined. My fingers start to jumble it up when I get going. Reminds me of being on the ski slopes and the "whoa wait a minute I'd get from the brain" when I'd go too fast. My brain must like a more leisurely tempo. LOL

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Oh my - so many posts, I can't keep up!

Gandalf, how could we be disappointed? Get serious my boy!

Was it SwissMS or Saranoya who made their first video? Congrats--- I know you're both in the recital and I'm looking forward to your pieces.

For all the new comers to the recital---Relax! :)Your pieces will be well received!!

Jim- congrats on being passed on your Moonlight!

Wisebuff - I really disagree with the woman who told you that as an adult you can't work at speed. Of course there will be differences between an adult beginner and someone who starts at a later age, but just yesterday my teacher was going on about "when we get to faster pieces" "when you have to play 16th notes at tempo" and so on.... so he FULLY expects me to play a lot faster than I do now. (the mere thought of if terrifies me! ack!!!)

I am now working on giving some better phrasing and expression to Melody, and (haning head) have not made much progress on the barocque piece. I had a lot of trouble getting my head around it. I'm "just" starting to feel that it can and will come together. AFter next week I hope to put them both aside (in terms of "homework" ) and buckle down with the Stephen Heller piece...which I find very intimidating.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ah, and Torquendale...of course! If I have a party you'd be invited..you were one of the 3 I was talking about! lol

I don't think very many of us have much experience playing in public - especially in Italy. It is harder for an adult to get to play in a "saggio".
Thank goodness we have our PW ABF Recital!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by casinitaly
..Of course there will be differences between an adult beginner and someone who starts at a later age...
You mean, like my age? laugh

Richard
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
WiseBuff - I'm with you - what a thing to say about tempo! It's a good thing nobody ever told me that - I wouldn't have been able to play for dances ever! Pfftt! laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 188 of 540 1 2 186 187 188 189 190 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission