Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2055272 - 03/27/13 06:55 PM How much practice is too much practice (in a day)?
pianotimo Offline

I just started playing and I am really excited to progress but I know that sometimes, too much doesn't do you any good. What are some telling signs that you should take a break from your practice? And also, when is it a good time to practice?

Edited by pianotimo (03/27/13 06:57 PM)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2055275 - 03/27/13 07:06 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
At the very beginning you may want to limit overall time each day. Once you get past the absolute beginner stage you can practice as long as you feel comfortable doing so. But be aware there is a distinction between overall time spent per day, and time spent on a given task per day. In other words, if you are practicing 6 tasks at 15 minutes each, that is fine. If you practice 1 task for 1.5 hours, that is probably too much.

At first watch out for any physical fatigue or discomfort. If that happens, stop. Also watch to see if you are making too many mistakes or getting frustrated, stop.

#2055276 - 03/27/13 07:09 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Practice and playing are too different things so you could be at the piano all day and not achieve significant practice time. A few thoughts

Practice small frequent durations (especially if practicing sight reading)
Wait until your mind is clear and free of distractions -don't practice tired
Don't play a whole song to get to the hard bit - just practice the hard bit
Schedule practice beforehand to include things like scales, appegios, sight reading etc
Keep to the schedule
If your hands or fingers are sore it's definitely time to leave
Don't be afraid to take a day off
Sleep on any problem you can't solve
Oh make me stop I could go on and on

#2055279 - 03/27/13 07:12 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
You've got great advice so far. Here's my checklist:

1. Am I still focusing on what I'm supposed to be doing?
2. Am I experiencing any pain (during or after)?
3. Is it interfering with my day-to-day responsibilities?

1. Yes. Keep going.
2. No. Keep going.
3. No. Keep going.

1. No. Stop.
2. Yes. Stop.
3. Yes. Stop.

#2055280 - 03/27/13 07:12 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: earlofmar]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I practice too much. I go over and over pieces until I am sick of hearing them.

#2055287 - 03/27/13 07:22 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
pianotimo Offline

Wow! This forum is really amazing. When I first wanted to play piano, I would've never imagined that there was an online community that was so helpful and inspiring. Thanks for the great advice smile

#2055394 - 03/27/13 11:19 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
ty.beginner Offline

Loc: Indonesia
pianotimo, congrats on the new piano. i am a beginner like you though twice your age with no music background. the one thing i wish someone told me is that you cant rush this learning process beyond a certain limit.

my experience for the past 6 months since i started is that you actually need to sleep on it to improve. something about sleep wired your brain in a certain way and the next day you'll find what frustrates you yesterday, frustrates you less. this goes on day after day till finally playing a piece that you learned relaxes you instead of giving you headaches. being an eager 17 yo, i suggest you be ready for this incremental little by little improvements that you cant actually feel on some days and be patient. good luck in your learning
Canon in D, Pachebel
Marriage D Amour, Richard Clayderman

Learning..
Clair de lunes, Debussy

#2055477 - 03/28/13 04:23 AM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
I can't practice more than 2 hours, I lose my focus. With clever time planning/management, I think two hours of practice time is more than enough, if you're not aiming for becoming a concert pianist. One should divide his/her to practice time between
- sight-reading,
- playing scales, arpeggios,
- memorizing pieces,
- ear training...

These are mostly non overlapping activities(physically and mentally): For example, sight-reading and playing scales force you to sit at piano, but memorizing and ear training can be off piano.

#2055554 - 03/28/13 09:44 AM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
Mete,
Especially for beginners, one might add rhythm training to that list. There are several good books available with rhythm exercises for you to clap out (some of them have CD's to count and clap along with), and there are some free exercises available online too I think. That somewhat overlaps with sight reading, and maybe ear training, but it's a worthwhile endeavor. I think keeping good rhythms is one place where beginners struggle (because they're trying to do it while doing so many other things at once). Beginners will often count to match how they are playing rather than play to match their counting because of that. A good teacher can help prevent that, but not everyone has access to a teacher. Either way, I think isolating the counting of various rhythms is very useful to practice. Plus it's another thing one can do away from the piano entirely.

Another point, one might subdivide some of your categories for reviewing repertoire and working on new pieces (sight reading, memorization, etc...), although I'm not sure that distinction would be useful for everyone.

Warm Regards

#2055562 - 03/28/13 10:05 AM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: fizikisto]
Mete Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Mete,
Especially for beginners, one might add rhythm training to that list. There are several good books available with rhythm exercises for you to clap out (some of them have CD's to count and clap along with), and there are some free exercises available online too I think. That somewhat overlaps with sight reading, and maybe ear training, but it's a worthwhile endeavor. I think keeping good rhythms is one place where beginners struggle (because they're trying to do it while doing so many other things at once). Beginners will often count to match how they are playing rather than play to match their counting because of that. A good teacher can help prevent that, but not everyone has access to a teacher. Either way, I think isolating the counting of various rhythms is very useful to practice. Plus it's another thing one can do away from the piano entirely.

Another point, one might subdivide some of your categories for reviewing repertoire and working on new pieces (sight reading, memorization, etc...), although I'm not sure that distinction would be useful for everyone.

Warm Regards

Definitely! Clapping exercises are very useful for a beginner that I am and one can practice rhythm when listening songs purposefully. I would add improvisation/composition many years later on to the list.

#2055823 - 03/28/13 06:36 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: Mete]
pianotimo Offline

Originally Posted By: Mete
I can't practice more than 2 hours, I lose my focus. With clever time planning/management, I think two hours of practice time is more than enough, if you're not aiming for becoming a concert pianist. One should divide his/her to practice time between
- sight-reading,
- memorizing pieces,
- ear training...

These are mostly non overlapping activities(physically and mentally): For example, sight-reading and playing scales force you to sit at piano, but memorizing and ear training can be off piano.

where can I find info on these things?

#2055833 - 03/28/13 06:47 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: Derulux]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Derulux
...3. Is it interfering with my day-to-day responsibilities?

May I humbly disagree with that point? Responsibilities never got me any younger.

#2055872 - 03/28/13 08:48 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: rnaple]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: rnaple
Originally Posted By: Derulux
...3. Is it interfering with my day-to-day responsibilities?

May I humbly disagree with that point? Responsibilities never got me any younger.

Let me try saying it this way.. would you skip a day of work to play the piano? wink

#2056025 - 03/29/13 03:19 AM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
Mete Offline

Originally Posted By: pianotimo
- sight-reading,
- memorizing pieces,
- ear training...

If you can afford a teacher, I advise you take piano lessons. Otherwise, dig into forums and make your own research about the topics above. Quantity of information is enormous, but you'll find lots of contradictions in posts(maybe including this one).

#2056033 - 03/29/13 03:33 AM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
- sight-reading,
- memorizing pieces,
- ear training...

I think I remember you saying you couldn't afford a teacher at the moment. If I also remember correctly, you said you were getting Alfred's Adult All-in-One method book(s); if so, then you'd learn through that a bit about sight-reading (at least enough for the series), as well as scales and arpeggios, but you wouldn't learn much on memorizing or ear training. Memorizing is something just trained with experience, and significantly enhanced with a thorough understanding of music theory (find resources for learning about music theory here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1948785.html). Ear training is also learned through experience and is, too, significantly enhanced through an understanding of music theory.

#2056224 - 03/29/13 12:31 PM Re: How much practice is too much practice (in a day)? [Re: pianotimo]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California

- sight-reading,
- memorizing pieces,
- ear training...

Search is your friend (and enemy). Search the Piano World forum, the Internet for websites, YouTube for tutorials. Be aware that some information is better than others. Trying to separate the useful information from the not so good, is one of the many hazards of being without a teacher.

The other phrase that comes to mind is "There's an app for that." If a person has a tablet computer or a smart phone there are apps that might help. For sight reading apps can help, especially true beginners. For ear training, apps are a good way to go, because the app never gets tired and the student can't peek or read body language for hints.

Ear training can help with memorization, improvisation, and composition. So even if a person has little interest in learning to play pieces by ear, even some modest training will help with other valuable skills.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (accordeur, ando, 40 invisible), 1338 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153602 Topics
2251223 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission