2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 217 of 540 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oops... I got so caught up in replies that I forgot to include my original content...

First, dynamobt & I discovered that we're one town over from one another. We're only about 5 miles apart! Dynamobt takes lessons at the music school across the street from where my daughter used to take her lessons. How cool is that?

Two AOTWs...

The first is learning the first 10 bars of New York State of Mind. This is a really stupid AOTW though, truly. Like I don't already have enough distractions from actually getting songs/pieces ready that I will actually be able to play through to the end? Anyway, it's great fun.

2nd AOTW is getting the 1st draft re-arrangement of "Song #2 for my wife" complete. It's a very tedious process, but I'm eternally grateful to everyone who has poured their heart and countless hours of time into MuseScore to make it possible to do this on a shoestring budget.

Having studied music theory online (informally) over the last year or so has helped me have more of a clue of what I'm doing when arranging. Arranging helps to strengthen that learning through practical application as well, it's a virtuous cycle, which is always a good thing.

I won't say I'm chuffed, but it's good to feel like I'm on the right track again (pun intended re: Cheryl's pic). Only 11 weeks until my wedding anniversary. Yikes!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
AOTW...big time...

Had my first piano lesson in person today. This lady is a teacher! She knows how to keep you learning. Any hint of nervousness or anything. She knows just what to say. After all...she's retired from spending 30 years as a school band director. She's heard more mistakes than I could create for her.
She's so easy to play for. The one piece she asked me to play. I flew through it. No creating mistakes. No creating new mistakes. No nervousness. No trying to be the parrot. Was like I was at home playing for myself.
She's also doing a great job of focusing on understanding. Knowing my end intent is to compose. She went through a sheet of music. Made sure I understood, or learned everything it was telling me. Be good enough and at home enough with piano to do that. We're off to a great start. I hope this keeps going like this.
Was so interesting. Her telling me the different parts of the keyboard. Telling me where the other instruments belonged on the keyboard. Interesting. She also told me about when she was in college. She'd play in a band that was all music majors. So they all were learning/playing all the instruments. Sometimes somebody wouldn't show. The professor would say: Hey, you, you clarinet...we have enough of those today...go play that baritone. They all had to do or be able to do it. She said it happened often.
Very interesting lady to learn from. Tons of experience. Tons of understanding.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ron, that sounds great! A band teacher is perfect if you're looking to compose. My brother's started composing full-band/orchestra stuff and has a huge book about orchestration, but having someone show you on the piano where they all fit in pitch is way cool! I think you've hit the jackpot.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I practiced both JimF's and MaryBee's suggestions for my struggles with the difficult (for me) passages in the Canon in D yesterday and today.

I can't say I see significant improvement in my playing yet but certainly I see how it has improved my practice, so it's just a matter of time. I am grateful to them both for these ideas. Mary's suggestion of blocking off only the measure being practiced with post-it note (still love the metaphor of "surgical drapes"). grin is very effective in helping me to STOP when they appear. Jim's for stopping after 5 or so plays in one sitting is great as well. Sooo, I suppose this is an achievement of sorts, AOTW = more effective practice.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
A
A
After practicing Hungary (Rapsodie Mignonne Op. 410) piece for the last 4 months I am now able to play the entire song!!:) This piece is giving me a headache!:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Not really an achievement. But, thanks to PW, I have learned of the existence of the Hanon Exercises. No question I should have started these when I was much younger and fingers and hands more agile. Luckily, I can harldy get worse than I am now by doing them!!! I have lots of room for improvement. My left hand is WEAK!!! Really weak! But, I am hoping that by beginning these exercizes that I amy eventually be capable of more difficult music. That would be great as I aspire to play bigger and better pieces! So, this week is the beginning of really buckling down and trying to become a pianist!!!! That's got to count for something!!! LOL!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
No AOTW's this week. I failed at my stated goal of playing the second movement of the Moonlight Sonata smoothly by the end of Easter break. And the Bürgmuller I thought I had mastered fell apart really badly during my lesson. I could make a recording and you'd all say that it was wonderful (because that's the kind of people you are), but that doesn't change the fact that I can't seem to get my [censored] together when it really counts.

Oh, well. Better next week, I guess.

Originally Posted by keystring
Today I went back to that chord exercise, and nothing gets tight or tense. That would be my AOTW.

You know, 'they' say it's harder to unlearn old habits than to learn new ones. I believe them. So while this may be boring (a pronouncement I happen to disagree with, but that's beside the point), it's also a pretty big achievement; especially since it's the kind of thing that will continue to benefit you in any other piece with block chords that you play (and they pretty much all have them, so ...). Congratulations!

Originally Posted by earlofmar
Such monumental progress makes up for last weeks feeling I wasn't moving ahead, hence I am as happy as a door Scotsman can be.

I am so happy for you! Really. Myself, despite having written here last week that I had my spark back (which I did, at that point ... sort of ...), I'm still stuck in the land of no progress despite daily attempts at practicing properly. I wish I could join you in happy door Scotsman land.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Happiness is ... a freshly tuned piano.

You can say that again!

I've got the tuner scheduled for next Saturday. I had said I wouldn't play the Moonlight anymore, but I think I might re-record just one more time after I get the piano tuned. There is nothing more heavenly, in my mind, than playing a piece you know intimately on a well-tuned, well-regulated piano (see also: one of my very first posts on this thread, in which I gushed about having played the Moonlight on a Fazioli at the store).

Originally Posted by MaryBee
I've been putting in a lot of effort on basics: Hanon, scales, chord progressions, sight reading.

I think your alternative to learning new stuff is actually very helpful. Mastery of scales and arpeggio's is like a gift that keeps on giving: useful in every piece you choose to tackle afterwards, and a speed booster in terms of learning.

Originally Posted by Eglantine
Okay, I'm just looking at page 1 of Sweelinck's Fantasia Chromatica, BUT it's approachable and sounds lovely (all that chromaticism).

It does sound lovely. Thank you for that! But wasn't this written for organ, originally?

Originally Posted by SwissMS
I got a "pass" on the Bach Invention #4, and can move on to #6!

Getting a 'pass' on *any* Bach Invention is indeed a major accomplishment. Way to go!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well my lesson wasn't a shambles.

Good for you! Playing in my lesson when I haven't made much progress at home is a boundary I still haven't really crossed. I imagine the ability to that helps a lot in making progress even when life has thrown a monkey wrench into your schedule (which life is bound to do, no matter what).

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I guess my determined resolve on this is my only AOTW.

You say that as if it doesn't count. But it does. It's a great (and indispensable) first step. Now go make it into an even better AOTW, by actually executing on it! wink

Originally Posted by torquenale
played the duet with one of my sons at tempo and smoothly (this the easiest one).

Great! Sounds like you're making good progress towards the upcoming recital!

Originally Posted by JimF
At the lesson though I was able to play it HT on the first try...not perfect, but actually pretty decent.

Oh wow, Jim. I'm impressed! Might actually try your practice technique with one of the pieces I'm working on right now. It's been stalled at the hands separate stage for far too long.

Originally Posted by heathermphotog
So my achievement of the week is that I learned how to memorize my pieces. And I am thrilled!

/me gives Heather the high five.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Yeah! I've finished with Czerny's Op.849, 30 New Studies in Technics. I didn't do every exercise (teacher's suggestions) and certainly didn't get any of them to the printed metronome marking ("that's not the point" as my teacher would say multiple times.)

I had a hard time getting my mind wrapped around the idea of the metronome markings not being the point in my Bürgmuller book. But apparently, they really *are* beside the point. Or else, our teachers are just being nice to us poor adults who won't ever be able to play up to tempo anyway (see a previous discussion on this thread, sparked by someone quoting a teacher who said that very thing!). Anyway, congrats on finishing opus 849!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
The beauty of bringing out the top note is my AOTW.

That's an endearingly specific AOTW. I admire your ability to 'zoom in' close enough to find an achievement worth bragging about.

Originally Posted by JonathonRose
Today I memorized the bass line from Purcell's Ground 3.5 bars, about 28 notes. Nothing at all.

Except that, as I understand it, it's basically the bass line to your entire piece. So that's not nothing!

Originally Posted by joce
Practised for the first time today in more than a decade!

Yay. Another 'mother of all AOTW's'. May this be the start of a very interesting, long and rewarding piano journey for you!

Originally Posted by ElleC
My piano teacher asked if she could record me playing Prelude in E minor next time to post on her website. I am flattered. And nervous...again!

Do be flattered. Ditch the nerves. You are pretty incredible, for someone who started playing the piano from scratch not even four months ago. I'm sure the recording will be fabulous!

Originally Posted by Whizbang
[...] but it became obvious to me this week that triads in any inversion look very different from sevenths in any inversion and as a result I can now see at a glance which of the two I'm playing.

Another one of those gifts that keeps on giving. That seems to be a theme here, this week. Congratulations for figuring it out! Who cares how long it took you?

Originally Posted by IreneAdler
I played Satie's Gnossienne no. 1, from memory

That's great. To be put on the spot like that, and still just sit down and play without blinking. Be proud!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
I am really chuffed today. In my lesson, I managed to play Chopin Nocturne in F minor the way I wanted to play it, with virtually no errors and with emotion.

Sounds fabulous! I can't wait to hear it.

Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I have realised that I learn faster by listening to the music on you tube, as my ear skills are far better than my sight reading.

This is exactly what I try to prevent myself from doing, because I'm convinced that once a piece is 'in my head' after I've heard it played by someone else, I don't really read anymore. But I am really happy for you that this works, in your case, and that it's helping you progress faster!

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Only 11 weeks until my wedding anniversary.

But you have a complete song. 11 weeks is plenty to get it mastered! Go, TallGuy!

Originally Posted by rnaple
Very interesting lady to learn from. Tons of experience. Tons of understanding.

This is the other 'parent' of all AOTW's. So may this be the start of a very interesting, long and rewarding piano journey for you, too wink.

Originally Posted by Augustina
After practicing Hungary (Rapsodie Mignonne Op. 410) piece for the last 4 months I am now able to play the entire song!!:)

Lovely! Congratulations.

Originally Posted by dynamobt
So, this week is the beginning of really buckling down and trying to become a pianist!!!! That's got to count for something!!!

You bet it does! Getting the basics right from the very beginning is the best thing you will ever do for yourself in terms of learning to play the piano. Good for you!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - Give it time...specifically sleep time. Play it right, stop, sleep on it. Do it right again, stop, sleep on it. Before you know it those night time neural connections start feeling really solid.

dynamobt - Great that you found Hannon, but do be careful. Teachers today will caution you to totally ignore the original Hannon instructions regarding lifting your fingers high. A real injury risk if you overdo it, or perform the exercises improperly.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi all,
My company opened a kind of "artists contest" for the employees. They will give some travel vouchers to the winners, so, I think I'm going to enter in the music category (even thinking that my company has 10,000 employees...)
You may ask: "Is this a AOW?" - Oh yes, because I'm not a competitive guy by nature, but I decide to enter in the contest, even knowing that my chances are low.

So, I just have to send a 3 minutes (home) video to try to pass to the second phase - it's a kind of preliminary phase -. The deadline is 26/april, and I've decided that I'm going to send 3 minutes of INDACO - Ludovico Einaudi (I remember your comments on my ABF Recital nº26. Thanks again!).

I don't know if this is a "true" AOW, but I wanted to share my decision with you, and I'd love to know what do you think about it.

About the contest:
The contest has only 2 phases. Only 3 competitors can pass the preliminary phase on each category (music, dance, and representation). Then each one will make a professional video and the video will be voted by all the employees. The video with more votes, it's the winner.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Good luck CarlosCC, it's a sure thing, better start thinking about where you want to travel too.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck CarlosCC, it's a sure thing, better start thinking about where you want to travel too.

Ahaha, my chances are not so high, but thanks anyway my friend.
And Australia is on the top of my list! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
E
E
that's awesome!! well, you gotta be in it to win it right? good luck!
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ahaha, my chances are not so high, but thanks anyway my friend.
And Australia is on the top of my list! thumb

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the caution, Jim. No super curled fingers for me!!! And moderation is important!!! Besides, my left hand tires. No question about it. I will be careful!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jotur
I think you've hit the jackpot.

Cathy

Thank you Cathy. I think I hit the jackpot also. She is a really nice and great lady. Very knowledgeable. I think of questions to ask her and...hold off...she will answer them without asking. She's a seasoned teacher. She knows. I also love that she is so easy to play for. Some people are so distracting. But not her. She knows.
EDIT: I also wanted to add. I was surprised. When she looked at my chord wheel. She said: Oh...you'll get to where you know where to put your hands. That's all this is. In other words...I think...she's gonna teach me well. She got excited when she saw my book of music from LesMiserables. smile Someday smile

Also...I noticed you playing with some Italian words on another thread with Cas. If you want to play with the Italian word for fatso...It's "Punzone".
Also a common Italian saying that's like the African American term: Yo Mama. It's: Ma'non. To be exact it means: That mother of mine. A person would say that like Homer Simpson says; Doh. When they goof up. Or when they're frustrated. I think the deeper Italian meaning is: Why did she have me?
I'm not sure I spelled either of those right. Did get how they sound though.
I used to hear them alot.

Last edited by rnaple; 04/20/13 12:12 AM.

Ron

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Edwardian Piano: I don’t under stand the knack folks have for learning faster with youtube than with the score. I think that’s quite something to be able to do. I don’t have the patience to watch the slow-motion tutorials, even for pieces I dearly love. Nor can I figure out what to do just by listening. I do use youtube recordings to give me a feel for how my piece should sound, but that’s the extent (and sometimes finding a decent recording of a beginner piece is really not simple!!)

TallGuy – how cool that you and dynamobt are “neighbours” (yes, I’m Canadian, we use the “u” ). I had to look up NY State of Mind

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZh8YjbDiVk[/video]

Great music. I do like Billy Joel! You must be having fun learning the piece.
How many years of wedded bliss are you celebrating? Our anniversary is in 9 weeks, 28 years!

Rmaple- Ron – wow! Your teacher sounds fabulous!!!!!! I’m so happy for you! What a treasure chest of knowledge and experience she has to draw on. Congratulations on such a great find.

Ragdoll--- I do believe we’ll hear your Canon at one of the recitals in the not too distant future!

Augustina: If I remember correctly the Hungary (rapsodie Mignonne Op. 410) is 5 or seven pages long? – Being able to play the whole thing is truly an achievement.

Dynamobt: I haven’t ever played Hanon – it seems the general concensus is that they are like liver. Folks love them or hate them. Have fun discovering what your opinion is!

Saranoya, well, that stinks, that you couldn’t play as well as you thought you would at a moment /for a deadline that was important to you. I like your “better next week” philosophy!

CarlosCC – Good for you for entering the competition! (Your company must be a fairly big one –how many people work there?) --- You will have to keep us posted on your progress, we will cheer for you!

Rmaple (again!) …. I think the “punzone” for fatso is a regional thing – here it would be ciccione (ch like church --- chee cheeOH neh) or “ciccio” for short. I’ve never heard “Ma’non” – except as “ma, no” – meaning, literally “but no” with the intention of expressing “no way!” .

I have no notable achievement of the week- or maybe I did earlier this week, I lose track of when I’ve posted. I’m working on adjusting my hand placement so that I’m in the right position faster. For example when I have to play an arpeggio, I have to learn to place my hand so that I’ve got 1, 2, 4 and 5 (or which ever are necessary) all lined up and right over the keys so that I can play them much more smoothly and quickly. I have “discovered” lol how nifty this is and can see a wee move in the right direction.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

T
T
My achievement was getting back on track with practice, so the piece I was working on sounded quite good in the end. I now have two new pieces, as I think the book I'm working from is getting a bit easy now.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
MYOB was brought about unexpectedly by heavy rain cancelling a cycle around town. Meant I started piano on a wet cool (for these parts) Saturday morning and played for the remainder of the day. Learned little things but had a ball. Hope it's better tomorrow my fingers couldn't take another big day.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Rmaple (again!) …. I think the “punzone” for fatso is a regional thing – here it would be ciccione (ch like church --- chee cheeOH neh) or “ciccio” for short. I’ve never heard “Ma’non” – except as “ma, no” – meaning, literally “but no” with the intention of expressing “no way!” .

Interesting. I'm learning. The region would either be Sicily, or Northern Italy. A few others I remember well:
Nona...Grandma
Nonu...Grandpa
Pai'son....(or maybe) "Pie'son"...or...Piesan ?... Old friend from the same place. Kinda like African American's say "Home Boy". Spanish speaking friends of mine recognized this term. But a little different. They didn't accent the first part so much like an Italian would.
My teacher told me there was a big deal about speaking Italian and composing. Everything in music is from Italian. She said when Copelan started. They wouldn't accept him seriously in Europe. He didn't speak Italian. How could he compose? smile

EDIT: Wanted to add. When I took my lesson. It was a bad weather day. So I went in there right after finishing work. I apologized to my new teacher for my appearance. Told her I had the books with me while working. If I couldn't get done before lesson time. I was just going to pull my truck in the back and park it. Well... I went in there with my work clothes on. Bib overalls, safety vest, lime green reflective hat, etc. Had a big plastic bag of "something" with me. My books she wanted to see. When I left the lesson. I walked out. Hesitated at the door while all these people looked at me. I said: Don't worry...it's not another bomb. And they laughed. They didn't know what to make of me. I found out a little while later. My teacher came out of the practice room. They all looked at her. Silence. Wondering? .... all she did was smile and say: He's good. smile

Ron
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll--- I do believe we’ll hear your Canon at one of the recitals in the not too distant future!

Oh Cheryl, if you only knew how badly I want to do this but alas it will not be in "the near future" to be sure. I have considered PMing you about a significant issue with the Canon and other pieces beyond my current level that I haven't disclosed here. Not that I believe I couldn't get help with from the archipelago of PW supporters here but it concerns my teacher's attitude about my studying this piece. For all I know she lurks here! Do you accept PM?

FWIW, posting my rendition of the Canon is a determined goal I have but a different piece will most likely be my first.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Now I'm learning regional Italian! PW is infinite in its possibilities, no?

I liked your story, Ron - the lime green hat put a picture in my head smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 217 of 540 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission