2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by debrucey
Hah, good idea.

IMO, not a good idea whatsoever. American tea is terrible -how well I know!- stick with Sri Lankan which we always got in the UK.

A good reason why I switched to coffee upon moving to the States. Not that I'm particularly regretting this...

Jason
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Hah, good idea.

IMO, not a good idea whatsoever. American tea is terrible -how well I know!- stick with Sri Lankan which we always got in the UK.
I think debrucey was wanting suggestions for something he could take from the UK to the US as a gift.

Du holde Kunst...
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations! I wish it were closer to the East Coast that weekend.

I'm sure the family won't be expecting anything, but if you can get them something uniquely British that they may not be able to buy in the Rocky Mountains, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. To combine threads, perhaps the Black Adder DVD Box Set? laugh

Authentic British tea was a very good idea. I don't think we've had any here since Boston.. but that was one heck of a party.

A selection of English chocolate and sweets might be a good idea. Cadbury used to be a favorite, but I think it's widely distributed now?

Treacle, or even treacle tarts. Most Americans have never even heard of it. (If not for my aunt's medical studies in London some 20 years ago, I never would have heard of it, either.)

Perhaps, if they're up for a laugh, you could bring some "sponge pudding". wink

Pretty much anything from Harrod's..

Hey, how about Harrod's Heritage Tea & Coffee gift pack? It's only $25 (pounds.. don't know how to do a "pound" sign on this side of the pond). Their tea bag selection box, which is pretty nice-looking, is only $30.

Check 'em out here: http://www.harrods.com/food-and-wine/food-wine-gifts

Anyway, hope it helps. And congratulations, again!

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Any ideas what I should take as a gift for the family I'm staying with? What would Americans like to receive from a Brit?

How about Wenlock and Mandeville (especially if the family has children)?

Or else some memento from Wills & Kate, or from the Queen's Jubilee.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by currawong
I think debrucey was wanting suggestions for something he could take from the UK to the US as a gift.

Well perhaps not Marmite, never liked it as a lad! laugh

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I love marmite so I may have to take some of that for myself as well.

B
B

Marmite makes anything taste palatable. Even American fast food....... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
A
Any ideas what I should take as a gift for the family I'm staying with? What would Americans like to receive from a Brit?

British jams are generally much better than what we get here. I'm especially fond of black currant (or as you Brits spell it, blackcurrant) jam, but that might not suit your hosts' palates. Orange and ginger marmalade are lovely, too. Nowadays we can find some of the best British products on better grocery stores' shelves, but the more exotic varieties are harder to find.

My dad always brings back Marks & Spencer undershirts from Britain, but somehow that doesn't seem like a very appropriate gift!

If it's at all possible, do allow yourself as many days as possible to recover from the seven-hour time difference and to acclimate to the altitude. Denver is the mile-high city, and the air is decidedly thinner than what you're used to. People vary a lot in their acclimatization rates, but you should allow at least a day before any serious exertion.

-Andy

AndyJ
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

Marmite makes anything taste palatable. Even American fast food....... wink

laugh , considering the plethora of American-based fast food joints in the UK, I should not be surprised if Bruce has experimented with Marmite, or at least HP Sauce!

Several years ago I was rather amazed to see Marmite stocked at my local Safeway... HP Sauce too! (Okay, I purchased a bottle of the latter.)

Otherwise, American-based fast food in the UK tends to be slightly lower in sodium, the food lobbies aren't quite as powerful as they are in the US.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AndyJ

My dad always brings back Marks & Spencer undershirts from Britain, but somehow that doesn't seem like a very appropriate gift!
Well yes and no. Marks & Spencer is pretty much the equivalent of JC Penney in the US (plenty of my money has gone to both), but JC Penney is not doing well. What a shame, and a tragedy to loose a company which I grew to enjoy shopping at within weeks after moving to the US.

Maybe things will turn around for them. The Seattle store in Northgate Mall is very nicely laid out.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JCPenny sounds more like Debenhams. Marks & Spencer is as much a food store as a clothes store (and it's not a department store). It's food is generally considered to be of high quality, somewhere in-between Selfridges and Waitrose.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Marks & Spencer is as much a food store as a clothes store (and it's not a department store).

True, but I was only referring to the selection of clothes at M&S which bears more than a passing resemblance to the fare at JC Penney. There is perhaps no precise equivalent to M&S in the US, unless it be Costco or Wal-Mart, neither of which I shop at. (Costco because a membership is not financially viable, Wal-Mart for political reasons.)

I am only speaking of the Seattle area. For classy food beyond the usual Safeway selection, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have incredible stuff, and you shop with fellow liberals! wink

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I really hope they have a Whole Foods near where I'm staying, they visit it all the time on Good Eats and it looks amazing. M&S is nothing like Costco. We have Costco here and it's awesome, I have a free membership.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
There is a Whole Foods in Lakewood: https://maps.google.com/?q=303-935-5000

Did you get a free membership at Costco through the university?

But of course Costco may not be very practical for me as I do not have the freezer space (nor appetite) for a whole pig or half a steer, let alone 25 gallons of V-8. Back in the UK I never shopped at Costco, and here in the US, it is not financially advantageous for a small household.

OTH, the people watching is rather a sight to behold, and after the sheer amazement at the stock (mouthwash enough to float an aircraft carrier), one might casually ask why they could not have done better with the pizza.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
There is some stuff they sell which is more appropriate. For example, dark chocolate chips in 750g tubs. It keeps for ages and is great for baking. I also will get pasta and rice, that sort of thing.

A friend of mine put me on his membership as a spouse, so I effectively get free membership haha

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I was going to suggest The Wind in the Willows DVDs. Even though I see some on YT already and it's available on Amazon.

The Wind in the Willows
Sang softly to me
Follow my voice
Wherever it leads

From mountains and valleys
To deep rolling seas
Born on the wings of the breeze

Last edited by newport; 03/28/13 06:28 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have incredible stuff, and you shop with fellow liberals! wink

I occasionally shop at Whole Foods. smirk

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I'm playing Beethoven 1 on 4th April.

http://www.lakewoodsymphony.org/cms/

...*gulp*

My wife & I will be there.

Online Content
I practically live at Whole Foods.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I practically live at Whole Foods.

So do I when not shopping at Trader Joe's.

Incredible experience, but the crew at TJ's are more helpful in choosing an appropriate bottle of wine, and they are so friendly.

Jason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission