Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2055869 - 03/28/13 08:39 PM Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced?
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I presume my old Yamaha PSR uses some kind of memory back up as until now it would save songs I'd made . I posted this on another forum (general keyboard site) and got a guy arguing with me that according to the manual it only uses D type batteries for power.
Well that's obvious but I've never used it with batteries so obviously there must be something used to save settings and such!

Edited by LarryShone (03/28/13 08:41 PM)

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2055902 - 03/28/13 10:12 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Probably a coin-type lithium battery. They're common in computers and other hardware that save settings even after being disconnected from power. The details on such battery is probably buried somewhere in the user manual.

As for the battery being user-replaceable -- maybe, maybe not. Some are soldered in place while others are clipped. While the soldered ones can be removed, you do need to be fairly handy with a soldering iron. The actual battery itself should be widely available at any hardware store or electronics dealer. A PSR shouldn't be too hard to open up. The battery will be about the same size and shape as a US nickel.

#2055952 - 03/28/13 11:57 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: LarryShone
I presume my old Yamaha PSR uses some kind of memory back up as until now it would save songs I'd made . I posted this on another forum (general keyboard site) and got a guy arguing with me that according to the manual it only uses D type batteries for power.
Well that's obvious but I've never used it with batteries so obviously there must be something used to save settings and such!

Which model of PSR?

#2056039 - 03/29/13 05:25 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: o0Ampy0o
Originally Posted By: LarryShone

Which model of PSR?

Sorry, PSR 225

#2056092 - 03/29/13 08:59 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LesCharles73]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LesCharles73
Probably a coin-type lithium battery. They're common in computers and other hardware that save settings even after being disconnected from power. The details on such battery is probably buried somewhere in the user manual.

As for the battery being user-replaceable -- maybe, maybe not. Some are soldered in place while others are clipped. While the soldered ones can be removed, you do need to be fairly handy with a soldering iron. The actual battery itself should be widely available at any hardware store or electronics dealer. A PSR shouldn't be too hard to open up. The battery will be about the same size and shape as a US nickel.

Ah I didnt see your reply, thanks Les. I have some experience with electronics , (training course in the '90s) so I should be able to manage it if its soldered in.
The manual doesnt mention it but then they dont want people opening their keyboards up! Will crack her open later...

#2056096 - 03/29/13 09:08 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I had a psr which failed to retain it`s memory without the D batteries (6 of `em) to the degree I couldn`t change the batteries witout having it plugged into the mains. I had it in bits and couldn`t find the onboard retaining device, whatever it was. The shop denied there was a problem. If you`ve had it some time, put some D batteries in if nobody else offers any other solutions . .

""

#2056099 - 03/29/13 09:14 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: peterws]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
I had a psr which failed to retain it`s memory without the D batteries (6 of `em) to the degree I couldn`t change the batteries witout having it plugged into the mains. I had it in bits and couldn`t find the onboard retaining device, whatever it was. The shop denied there was a problem. If you`ve had it some time, put some D batteries in if nobody else offers any other solutions . .

Well if that is the case then it can do without. Batteries are too expensive and heavy, Ive never run it on batteries but it has saved stuff in the past.

#2056158 - 03/29/13 10:57 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
emenelton Offline

The little batteries with the clips spot welded to them are typically a specific part # that electronic supply houses have. If you do identify a battery in your PSR it's advisable to order a replacement that has the same clip configuration. It is nearly impossible and dangerous to solder a clip to a battery yourself.

The owners manual does state that your keyboard 'might' have an internal battery.

#2056162 - 03/29/13 11:02 AM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Update:
I removed the back, nothing. There is a circuit board upside down but I think that's for all the switches.
But I did find a possible hack. The two wires from the battery tube. I could snip those at the tube end, solder on a square 9volt battery pad and attach such a battery!
Why oh why didn't Yamaha do something like that in the first place??

#2056218 - 03/29/13 12:19 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
emenelton Offline

The internal battery is always on the mainboard. Sounds like you are looking at one of the little sub boards.

#2056228 - 03/29/13 12:39 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: emenelton]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: emenelton
The internal battery is always on the mainboard. Sounds like you are looking at one of the little sub boards.

Well thats as far as Im willing to look. Too many screws and awkward angles to negotiate

Edited by LarryShone (03/29/13 12:40 PM)

#2056239 - 03/29/13 01:10 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: LarryShone]
emenelton Offline

It's never a good thing to finally take it apart enough to then realize that to remove the battery, you would have to unscrew all the fasteners that afix the main board to the keyboards chassis. What typically happens then, as you try to remove the main board, you discover all the wiring harnesses still interfere with the extracting of the main board.

Those harnesses usually have locking plugs that can be old and brittle. And so on .....

#2056298 - 03/29/13 02:53 PM Re: Backup battery gone on keyboard, can it be user-replaced? [Re: emenelton]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: emenelton
It's never a good thing to finally take it apart enough to then realize that to remove the battery, you would have to unscrew all the fasteners that afix the main board to the keyboards chassis. What typically happens then, as you try to remove the main board, you discover all the wiring harnesses still interfere with the extracting of the main board.

Those harnesses usually have locking plugs that can be old and brittle. And so on .....

Indeed, and that's why I stopped at the first stage! I don't have a second keyboard to.play on

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Andy001, aesop, AZNpiano, 19 invisible), 886 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157104 Topics
2307283 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
08/28/14 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
08/28/14 12:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission