Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2055694 - 03/28/13 01:48 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Morodiene]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I can't help but think how lucky your piano wasn't ruined along with the house!

I've been surprised how one of the first questions I got from almost everybody, including friends who aren't into piano or classical music, was "Did anything happen to the piano?"

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2055699 - 03/28/13 01:59 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Mark_C]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Knowing,(somewhat) what the piano means to you, and under your circumstance (opportunity?), were I in your shoes, I would look for a home that offered an ideal piano room. I would not consider a home, that compromised the sound or performance aspect of the piano. I would want a home with a piano room that called to me every time I walked by it.

+1

....There aren't as many decisions as important as house-buying. Take your time to wait until you feel good about your choice.

In theory, I agree.
But we can't. smile

I concede it must be terribly frustrating and difficult to be house-hunting when your present home is badly damaged (and I'm guessing not able to be occupied).

Would it be possible to take on a short-term rental/lease that would give you someplace to live while you take your time to find/build a house more to your liking? Yeah, moving twice is a pain and an uproar, but I keep coming back to the point that this is a decision you want to be happy with for years.

#2055921 - 03/28/13 10:50 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

....Would it be possible to take on a short-term rental/lease that would give you someplace to live while you take your time to find/build a house more to your liking? Yeah, moving twice is a pain and an uproar, but I keep coming back to the point that this is a decision you want to be happy with for years.

We have such a lease. It's what has allowed us to have some semblance of normality and order to this whole thing -- but it's not a whole lot of normality and order. It has been a very great strain, and our need to get settled again is a very big factor. So yes, I'm more willing to take some chance on this acoustics thing than to just keep waiting. But I wouldn't do it unless it seemed there was a good chance that it could work quite well -- which was why I did this thread. The replies have been extremely helpful.

#2056217 - 03/29/13 12:19 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Mark_C]
Monica K. Offline

Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home? Would the sellers even consent to a trial like that? Yeah, it would be pretty expensive. But in the large scheme of things (how much the house is going to cost, and how long you'll be there), it may be worth it for the peace of mind.

#2056227 - 03/29/13 12:37 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Monica K.]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home? Would the sellers even consent to a trial like that? Yeah, it would be pretty expensive. But in the large scheme of things (how much the house is going to cost, and how long you'll be there), it may be worth it for the peace of mind.
Very interesting and I think good idea. Even better if the room is still furnished.

#2056391 - 03/29/13 05:53 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Mark_C]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Other thoughts...

In this house you're considering. If it doesn't work out with the piano. Is it one that you can add a room on the back of the house for the piano?

How about just having a doublewide trailer moved onto your property. Then, when you can. Rebuild your house. Might even rent the trailer.

You can estimate the acoustics of the room by walking around it and clapping your hands. It will let you know where to put the piano.

I would consider tearing the ceiling out. Filling it with acoustic insulation. Then acoustic ceiling put back in. Should take care of the low ceiling problem.

#2056602 - 03/30/13 12:07 AM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Okay, this may be a bizarre suggestion, but here goes: Would it be possible to move your piano to the prospective house for a day and see what it actually would sound like in the new home?....

Tremendous idea -- but no, it's not possible, for several reasons.
Main reason: The seller would have no reason to consider it, because it's such a hot market for sellers of such properties that there would be plenty of easier buyers to turn to.

And secondly, in view of the above, to have any chance for the house, we needed to proceed quickly -- and we did. (It was a multiple-bid situation, with several other buyers also fighting for it.) It's now a done deal. We signed the contract yesterday.

All of the suggestions in this thread have been very good, but some assumed a more leisurely situation than what this was -- first of all because of our personal situation, and even more so because of the current market. That's why I needed just to get the best prospective info I could -- which I felt I did from this discussion and the similar one on Pianist Corner -- and to decide if the outlook seemed favorable enough, which I thought it did. Sometimes you just have to take a chance, and I wound up thinking that this easily was a good enough chance, especially in view of all the options that have been noted. I would have loved to reduce the chance of error to 0, but I couldn't.

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Other thoughts...

In this house you're considering. If it doesn't work out with the piano. Is it one that you can add a room on the back of the house for the piano?

Good idea too, but no, that's not possible because there isn't enough land. Otherwise we definitely would have considered it.

Quote:
....I would consider tearing the ceiling out. Filling it with acoustic insulation. Then acoustic ceiling put back in. Should take care of the low ceiling problem.

We are thinking of something like that. We'll be discussing the whole thing with our personnel (architect, engineer, contractor, whomever) and even before moving the piano or anything else into the house, we may just do it.

#2057103 - 03/30/13 09:48 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Mark_C]
Monica K. Offline

The important thing is that you got the house you wanted, and I feel confident you will be able to work out the acoustics one way or the other. smile Congratulations, and I am sure you and your family will be tremendously glad to move into your new home.

#2057123 - 03/30/13 10:26 PM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Thank you Monica!
And really, thanks to everyone who helped on this thread and the one on Pianist Corner. The perspectives and information that I got here enabled me to feel OK about going ahead. And don't worry -- if it happens not to work out, I won't be blaming you! ha

I'm sure enough that it'll be fine. thumb

#2180019 - 11/10/13 10:28 AM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Monica K.]
Mark_C Offline

Update:

IT'S GREAT.

The house was finally ready for us to move in, and I was thrilled to find that the acoustics are more than fine -- less resonance than there would be with a higher ceiling, but real good nevertheless, and somehow a very rich sound.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread. It really did help me be confident that it was likely this would be all right, maybe if necessary with some extra work -- and I was thrilled to find that it's good just as it is.

#2180049 - 11/10/13 11:21 AM Re: Acoustics of big room but with low ceiling? [Re: Mark_C]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (aesop, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, Al LaPorte, 23 invisible), 957 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission