Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2055923 - 03/28/13 10:51 PM HELP!
PinkPanther12 Offline

Loc: USA
Ok,here is my situation....
I play at church a Motif xf8 88key
my parents bought me a TOY! casio ctk 2100 that ive been using for about 1yr. because it was cheap. I need an upgrade! but my parents only wants to pay no more than $500dll for a keyboard. I will have to order my keyboard online, because guitar center closes at 8pm and my parents are at work at that time. So going to guitar center is a NO!
Which keyboard would I be happy with? I have no idea, all I know is that I dont want a casio. I prefere yamaha. I want one like the motif i play at church but those are like 3,000!
sorry for my bad english guys...

Edited by PinkPanther12 (03/28/13 10:52 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2055933 - 03/28/13 11:19 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
If $500 USD is the absolute limit, and you prefer Yamaha, I vote for the Yamaha P35. If you can kick in $100, or find a refurbished unit, or a coupon, you might be able to get a Yamaha P105 (street price $600 USD).

#2055939 - 03/28/13 11:29 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
PinkPanther12 Offline

Thank you I am doing my research on both keyboards... also would you know if a Single-X jamstands hold a P35 or P105?
I dont want to buy another stand

#2055942 - 03/28/13 11:42 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
Thomas Williams Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
What exactly are you looking for in a keyboard? What features are most important to you? If it's having a reasonably piano-like feel (and 88 keys), one of the digital pianos that Sand Tiger mentioned (or similar models from Casio or Korg) might suffice. But if the sonic capabilities of a synth are what you're after, those DPs won't cut it, as they are primarily piano simulators and have very few additional sounds. If the sounds in your cheap Casio keyboard are sufficient for the time but you want the full keyboard with better touch, you might consider buying a cheap digital piano and keeping the Casio keyboard, which could be connected to your new DP by MIDI.

If what you want is something with a more powerful synthesis engine, on the other hand, your best bet within your price range is to look for something used. I'm not all that familiar with the Motif series so I don't know what models to recommend, but there are definitely some synths and workstations now a few years old that are still fairly powerful and now fairly cheap. Ebay is one place to look. (Just check the seller ratings and make sure you aren't bidding for a disreputable seller.)

#2055958 - 03/29/13 12:12 AM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
PinkPanther12 Offline

Thank you very much Thomas for your answer, I am looking for a 88 key, with similar weighted keys as the motif i play. I want it to sound good to have decent speakers. I want a keyboard that in 5yrs i wont have to upgrade to a better one. I did look at the P series Mr. Sand Tiger answered.
Would I be happy with a P105 5yrs from now? bcuz I wont be able to upgrade to a better one.
Also i am looking for the keyboard because when I have to practice a song, it's hard to go from my casio to the motif. the motif is much more heavy keys. I want to be able to practice at home.
Thank you for you input on keeping my casio for the voices smile that I will DO

#2056105 - 03/29/13 09:26 AM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
mitzysman Offline

Yamaha P105 and Casio P-150 are your only choice for 500-600. Or maybe a p95 if you want last years model.

#2056202 - 03/29/13 11:54 AM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I hope you're not too hard on your parents for buying that Casio. They probably thought they did good with what they could afford (and they may have).

With that off my chest, there are some good Casio digital pianos out there, so don't rule them out simply because of the name. Their PX series is very good.

I'm not sure how old you are or if you have a job, but maybe there's a way to supplement some of your own money in with what your parents can afford. I doubt they're being greedy when it comes to the price limit -- $500 can be a lot of money when you have bills to pay.

#2056245 - 03/29/13 01:17 PM Re: HELP! [Re: mitzysman]
PinkPanther12 Offline

Thank you i will look into the casio...

#2056249 - 03/29/13 01:21 PM Re: HELP! [Re: LesCharles73]
PinkPanther12 Offline

No im not being hard on my parents for buying a casio I appreciate it but its not helping me at all. I will look into the px casio, thank you very much for your input smile

#2056258 - 03/29/13 01:54 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Yes, many people on this forum would genuinely say that, among digital pianos costing under $1000, Casio's have the best keyboard action - the CDP range and PX pianos. They certainly have better features (extra sounds, recording facilities and interface connections etc) than Yamaha and Korg in the same price range .Roland & Kawai start at a higher price point.

So, given your requirements, Casio is well worth checking out, I think.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2056319 - 03/29/13 03:30 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
The only current generation keyboard to fit your budget and keyboard feel is the Casio PX-150. If by chance it does go slightly over the $500, you can buy the previous generation PX-130 for less. Both are acceptable pianos for a beginner. I know cause I have the Casio PX-150.

If you want to step up, the next model that has an improved keyboard would be the Yamaha P-155, however that is typically closer to the $1000 mark. For any piano that is LESS than $1000, I would not buy any Yamaha piano lower than the P-155. Not when you can get a slightly better feeling Casio for the same amount of money.

#2056354 - 03/29/13 04:44 PM Re: HELP! [Re: adak]
raikkU Offline

Originally Posted By: adak
The only current generation keyboard to fit your budget and keyboard feel is the Casio PX-150. If by chance it does go slightly over the $500, you can buy the previous generation PX-130 for less. Both are acceptable pianos for a beginner. I know cause I have the Casio PX-150.

If you want to step up, the next model that has an improved keyboard would be the Yamaha P-155, however that is typically closer to the $1000 mark. For any piano that is LESS than $1000, I would not buy any Yamaha piano lower than the P-155. Not when you can get a slightly better feeling Casio for the same amount of money.

Isn't the issue of feel a matter of preference? Some people seem to prefer Yamahas over Casios etc.

I'm asking because I'm a beginner and in the process of buying my first piano and to me the P-35 feels better than PX-150, but I might not be able to tell what a good piano feels like.

Edited by raikkU (03/29/13 04:45 PM)

#2056384 - 03/29/13 05:38 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
Raikku,
Yes, adak is presenting a personal preference. It may or (or may not) be true that a large majority of pianists would prefer the Casio action, but it's certainly not universal. The best option for anyone is to find the best choices within their price range and find a way to play them. If that's not possible, one might be able to at least find youtubes of the boards in question and listen to see if one has a more appealing sound than the other.

PinkPanther. Someone suggested that if you have another job you might supplement what your parents are offering to spend. Another option might be to bargain with them, to offer to do some extra chores or something if they would be willing to spend a little more. If you have a particular board in mind, and can show them its advantages, and can show them that you committed to your goal of improving your piano skills, they may be willing to spend a bit more. Of course, it may be that they are already sacrificing greatly even to make $500 available. But it might be an option if your parent's finances allow. Also, and your parents may be unaware of this, some online stores will let you break the payment up into 3 monthly installments.

For new digital pianos that are worth getting, the casio CDP 120 and the yamaha P35 are both within your budget. Either of them would be a perfectly fine choice. If you can play both of them, it may help you decide which you like better.

If you can get a little more money through your own savings from work, or from bargaining with your parents, The Casio PX150, Yamaha P105, and Korg SP280 may fall within your price range.

Good Luck.

#2056415 - 03/29/13 06:36 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
Thomas Williams Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
To this discussion of the feel of the various digital pianos, let me add that if there is any possible way, you should try to somehow make your way to a store where you can try playing them side by side to discover which you prefer. As someone has already pointed out, preferences about touch are very personal, so one person's suggestion on here may or may not be right for you. I prefer the feel of the Yamaha P series over the Casio Privia pianos (although I might be swayed one way or the other, depending on the specific model).

If it were between the Casio PX150, the Yamaha P105, and the Korg SP280, I'd most likely go with the Yamaha P105 because of the feel, but there's no right or wrong answer here. I recently purchased a Korg SP250 because I loved the feel of its RH3 action. Maybe you could find an SP250 at a sale price, as I did, because the model has recently been discontinued. (Its successor, the SP280, has a lighter action that annoys me -- but again, it depends on what kind of feel you prefer.)

#2056689 - 03/30/13 06:12 AM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
To the original poster, it would be more HELPful if you labeled the subject of the thread with a tad more information.

You force everyone to either read your post ... or ignore it.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2058007 - 04/01/13 07:34 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
PinkPanther12 Offline

Thanks for everyone's help. I decided to go for the Yamaha P105. I got the p105, a ksp100 sustain pedal, and a double X stand for 599.99. I bought it at Kraftmusic.com they are so much cheaper than guitar center. at guitar center I was going to pay 699.99 for all 3 items! the guy didnt want to give us a discount or anything.

#2058030 - 04/01/13 08:55 PM Re: HELP! [Re: PinkPanther12]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
Pink Panther 12,
Congratulations on your purchase. I think it is a good choice. I hope it brings you much enjoyment over the years.
Warm Regards

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, barbaram, AZNpiano, BB Player, 16 invisible), 1270 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292018 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission