Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2056164 - 03/29/13 11:03 AM How and Why did you become a tech?
TecFlip Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I am very intrested to know. I am trying to find someone to apprentice under, but it might be tricky being 16. Is that the way to go?

-Jon W

Edited by TecFlip (03/29/13 11:04 AM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2056171 - 03/29/13 11:17 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi Jon,

Why? Well, I found I enjoyed the work and the environment; working for myself. Also, I have a background in engineering and music, so piano tuning was a good mix of those skills and interest.

How? At first I joined the PTG and went to their monthly meetings. At the same time I purchased the Reblitz book and read it cover to cover. I volunteered at a rebuilding facility for a summer. I went to PTG conventions. I took a rebuilding course from another technician.

I have also condensed all the skills and information I gathered in the first two years and pass it on through courses I offer. Some other techs may get annoyed that I mention this but the truth is, I learn more about piano tuning and repair from teaching it, than from just reading about it. The act of teaching serves to solidify concepts one thinks one may know, into solid knowledge that a person can be confident about; students challenge knowledge and force us to re-examine our own ability and confidence.

Good luck,

#2056173 - 03/29/13 11:19 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Emmery Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
16 is not too early to start, in many countries in the world people this age are already beginning their first steps towards a skilled trade. I think that the trade seems to draw folks who recognize that they work well with their hands, have a connection with the instrument (or other instruments/vocals) such as playing or even listening.

Some of the work requires patience and abiity to handle delicate/intricate tasks. Some tasks are repetitious and straightforward, others require some detective work and ability to solve problems and associate causality to an issue at hand. Most importantly, a bit of humbleness and an understanding that the learning process never ends when stepping into this work.

Its hard to say what the future holds for this work so I would think that it would be a good idea not to abandon general studies/education at this young age. Its nice to have something else to fall back on to should something come along that wipes out this trade. A self tuning piano, a digital that truly emulates an accoustic, or even a shift in consumer needs could spell the end of what we have become accustomed too.

#2056177 - 03/29/13 11:23 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Emmery]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
A self tuning piano, a digital that truly emulates an accoustic, or even a shift in consumer needs could spell the end of what we have become accustomed too.

It seems impossible to imagine, but when I think that piano tuning as a skill has only been widely practised in the past 120 or so years, it's not as hard.

#2056179 - 03/29/13 11:26 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
TecFlip Offline

Well, I am going to try to get a job at Meyer Music. They have many of pianos and other instruments. That seems like a great opportunity for me to get my feet wet. Also, how much does it cost to go to the meeting for PTG?

#2056189 - 03/29/13 11:38 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Jon,

Don't forget about Schmitt Music. You might PM Daryl Durand for some advice. He is a frequent poster here.

BTW - Kansas City is the home of the PTG.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2056190 - 03/29/13 11:40 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Jon, I apprenticed when I was 16, and I'm 52 now.

When it looked like I was getting serious about singing, my parents found an old upright player piano so I could have something to practice on; I still have it. I was fascinated to learn what made it work, and I began tinkering with it, taking it apart and reassembling it, much to my parents' initial shock and dismay (my dad: "I hope, for your sake, you can put that thing back together."). They sought a rebuilder for whom I could apprentice, and I interviewed with him. I worked in his shop for about 2-1/2 years.

#2056203 - 03/29/13 11:55 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
TecFlip Offline

Schmitt Music is a little far for me to drive after school. Does anyone know of any good tech in missouri/kansas that i might be able to apprentice under?

Edited by TecFlip (03/29/13 11:56 AM)

#2056209 - 03/29/13 12:04 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Jon,

Daryl is a tech and PTG member.

#2056281 - 03/29/13 02:23 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Emmery Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPT
Originally Posted By: Emmery
A self tuning piano, a digital that truly emulates an accoustic, or even a shift in consumer needs could spell the end of what we have become accustomed too.

It seems impossible to imagine, but when I think that piano tuning as a skill has only been widely practised in the past 120 or so years, it's not as hard.

Mark, you were not on this site when we had a fellow posting about the self tuning piano he had designed. It used individual optical sensors for pitch recognition and heated each string through resistance process to bring it into pitch. Its been a few years now since he announced it, it looked quite feasable and promising. Not sure what happened since.

#2056295 - 03/29/13 02:48 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Emmery]
TecFlip Offline

It wouldnt last. As soon as the power goes out, the piano would be super out of tune (if it wasnt tuned for a while). At least I hope it doesnt last. wink

#2056299 - 03/29/13 02:56 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

How did pianos get tuned before 1893?

#2056350 - 03/29/13 04:38 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Some techs believe that pianos didn't exist before 1893. Cristofori is just a quaint little tale like the Easter Bunny.

wink

#2056369 - 03/29/13 05:16 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
TecFlip Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Some techs believe that pianos didn't exist before 1893. Cristofori is just a quaint little tale like the Easter Bunny.

wink

Wait. Pianofortes or actual modern-like pianos? Ahh... ok, I see.

Edited by TecFlip (03/29/13 05:16 PM)

#2056375 - 03/29/13 05:26 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
1000 Post Club Member

Some techs would rather jump at the chance to make someeone else look foolish rather than try to understand the essence of a post. One suggestion might be to read the whole post. Words are used for a reason. Try and reread my post and concentrate on the word "widely". If after that, you are still confused, maybe we could delve into another one of those long, drawn out, boring waste of time threads that these forums are famous for...or not.

#2056382 - 03/29/13 05:36 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Jon,

Do you play the piano? If not, what sparked your interest?

#2056387 - 03/29/13 05:46 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
TecFlip Offline

It's just me putting my foot in my mouth. Anywho, I appreciate all of the answers. Along with Meyers, I may also call a few tech to see about apprenticing.

#2056388 - 03/29/13 05:47 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Some techs would rather jump at the chance to make someeone else look foolish rather than try to understand the essence of a post. One suggestion might be to read the whole post. Words are used for a reason. Try and reread my post and concentrate on the word "widely". If after that, you are still confused, maybe we could delve into another one of those long, drawn out, boring waste of time threads that these forums are famous for...or not.

I'm not trying to make you look foolish. I meant to be asking a serious question with an economy of words. I did notice the word "widely", but it still didn't explain your original statement to me. I would have expected that keyboard instruments needing tuning were widely distributed before 1893, and so I would have expected the need for tuners to be widely distributed. Perhaps I am wrong in that. I would still appreciate elucidation. What changed around 1893?

#2056408 - 03/29/13 06:21 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
I started playing piano at age six and started teaching piano when I was seventeen at a private music school.

My father had a well tooled hobby woodworking shop, so I already knew quite a bit about tools, and I was mechanically inclined since being a child.

There was a piano tech next door to the school where I taught. I approached him and said I would work for free for a week, and if he liked how I was learning and working, he would hire me.

I have been doing work for him ever since. He was a great mentor.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2056424 - 03/29/13 06:52 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

PianoStudent88,

Keyboard instruments, with stretched strings fastened to a peg for adjustment, go way back to the early Renaissance. Tuning, as a skill, can be traced back at least that far. Long before the Pianoforte, Harpsichords and all of its cousins, needed to be tuned. It is not, at all, a recent concept.

#2056428 - 03/29/13 06:57 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Maybe "piano tuning as a career" instead of "skill" would help you understand the statement better...

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2056444 - 03/29/13 07:23 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Now I remember!

Jon, your the lad who built his own action! That thread was a while ago.

You get an A+ for sticking with it.

#2056509 - 03/29/13 09:12 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Ron, for seeing the essence of my point.

Pianostudent88, my comments were not directed at you. They were more for the person who implied I didn't know who Cristofori was.

I was merely referencing the general idea that at one time, piano tuning wasn't as widespread as it became. I said about 120 years. I apologize if I was off by about 30 years.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_history_of_the_piano,
"Throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries, pianos were financially beyond the reach of most families, and the pianos of those times were generally the property of the gentry and the aristocracy." So, the lack of an abundance of pianos would imply a lack of the abundance of piano tuners.

Also, "over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries, the middle class of Europe and North America increased in both numbers and prosperity." So, it would seem that pianos, and piano tuning, became more prevalent around 1850 and onward. Of course, I am just approximating from what I read. You can do the same.

#2056561 - 03/29/13 10:45 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Well Mark,

You made comments in a public forum. If you don't intend them to be read by all PW members, send a PM.

I am the person who made the Cristofori comment. You put your foot in your mouth long before I answered the question from PianoKeys88. Even Jon, the young apprentice who started the thread, understood the reference.

You assume that people understand what you mean to say. That is a false assumption. We read words and not minds.

The point is that the skill of tuning keyboard instruments, with strings, has been around for as long as those instruments have existed. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a recent development. History seems to have proved that no matter the number of instruments, there have been a sufficient number of skilled people to tune them.

I don't approximate unless it is noted. I prefer facts.

#2056706 - 03/30/13 07:05 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
1000 Post Club Member

And yet again, another long, drawn out, boring thread is created.

#2056816 - 03/30/13 11:30 AM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
TecFlip Offline

This is not boring to me. I absorb all of the info i can get!

#2056861 - 03/30/13 01:21 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Jon Lee

I learned to tune out of necessity - learned rebuilding due to a recession. When I started a retail store in 1977, I needed a tuner. That tuner turned out to be me. When sales were non-existent, due to extreme competition and a recession, I began to rebuild.

I post this link as a direct encouragement to you:

Youthful Persistence

Please read this tidbit. It could tell your future, if you keep at this idea of yours!
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2056868 - 03/30/13 01:33 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I was walking down the street one day when a piano followed me home. How could I ignore that gap-toothed grin, so I kept it, and learned how to care for it.

#2056899 - 03/30/13 02:15 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
TecFlip Offline

My next question is... What is the job market like? My area is saturated with techs. What would be a good way to be sucessful down the road? How did you become sucessful?

#2056904 - 03/30/13 02:28 PM Re: How and Why did you become a tech? [Re: TecFlip]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
When I was a kid trying to learn piano, my lessons were constantly interrupted by mechanical problems with the piano. It definitely held me back. I also noticed that the piano never sounded the same when different tuners would work on it.

I got so disgusted and intrigued that I went to piano tuning school.

I was 17 when I graduated high school. One month later after HS graduation, I entered piano tuning school.

I would strongly suggest that you don't let your education stop with membership in the Guild or other organization. These days, college degrees are quite common. Much, if not most, of your clientele will have some sort of degree; you want to be able to interact with them as a peer.

You should investigate one of the piano tuning schools that offer an Associate Degree, or consider getting a degree in some other field as a backup to your tuning business anyhow.

Edit: There is no reason you cannot apprentice under a tech today AND go to school later after graduating HS. In fact, apprenticing under a tech will give you an opportunity to see if this is something you really want to pursue.

Don't limit yourself. Knowledge is worth pursuing for its own sake. smile

Best wishes!
-Joe smile

Edited by daniokeeper (03/30/13 05:18 PM)
(semi-retired)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, adrpiano, 33 invisible), 1448 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318959 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission