2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
AmandaJ Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone. I did search, but couldn't find this topic. Hopefully it hasn't been asked too much.
I want to take some lessons. I'm 30 I started playing in early teens and then around 7 years ago I had to leave my piano behind. So I got a new one 1.5 years ago. (well new old ha)

So I want to take lessons again. No idea what "level" I'm at, but I'd like to take the royal conservatory exams and get better.

What are some qualifying questions to ask of a piano teacher to try and find the right fit?

Is a lesson a week necessary or could once a month or once every other week work?

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Here's a recent thread on this topic I keep bookmarked because I liked the input the teachers here provided so much: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2035389/1.html

Here's an active thread in the Adult Beginner's Forum (which I recommend checking out if you haven't already) with some insight on trying to go about it alone: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...%20study%20without%20any%20t.html#UNREAD

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
The thread Bobpickle already mentioned has a lot of good info.

My top three questions to ask the potential teacher (for your scenerio): how much experience do they have, what level of education, and do they enjoy teaching adult students?

I would suggest weekly lessons. Among many other reasons, it serves as as strong motivator to know you'll be playing in front of your teacher in 7 days...6...5...4...3...oh no I better really practice!!!..2...1...ready-or-not-here-comes-lesson-day.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Of course there's one more question: since you want to take the exams you'll need to ask the potential teacher if they participate.

A
AmandaJ Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the topics and replies! I think I was only searching this forum maybe. Appreciated smile

A
AmandaJ Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Musicpassion what are the other reasons besides motivation to practice for your lesson? My motivation is there. i play daily anyhow. I am paying for lessons for my 6.5 year old and can't afford to pay for us both every week lol

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
There are probably more, but here is what comes to mind right now...

First is the opportunity for the teacher to quickly correct errors. A normal part of the learning process is making mistakes, and if the mistake isn't corrected, then it will become fixed in your mind as correct. At that point you have to unlearn the mistake and relearn it correctly. That winds up taking more time.

Another factor is the volume of information the teacher needs to impart. It is a challenge for me to teach my advanced students who aren't doing hour lessons (hour lessons are fairly standard at the advanced level, but sometimes schedules or finances or whatever don't work out) because there is too much information to teach. I think the same concept would apply to lessons less than once a week.

Also important is building the professional student - teacher relationship. The learning process works best when there is that understanding and familiarity that only time builds. In my experience that has actually been more true with adult students than with children. Children readily accept that adults are authority figures who are giving them information and correction for their learning, and that they are to follow instruction. For some adult students this can take longer.

All that being said, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Take the journey in whatever way you can.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I happened to write about this very subject so I will share the link:

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/scouting-a-piano-teacher/

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I agree that meeting a teacher and taking a sample lesson are great ideas. I would also recommend weekly lessons.

Last edited by music32; 03/29/13 02:14 PM.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission