2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Colin Miles, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I presume my old Yamaha PSR uses some kind of memory back up as until now it would save songs I'd made . I posted this on another forum (general keyboard site) and got a guy arguing with me that according to the manual it only uses D type batteries for power.
Well that's obvious but I've never used it with batteries so obviously there must be something used to save settings and such!

Last edited by LarryShone; 03/28/13 08:41 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Probably a coin-type lithium battery. They're common in computers and other hardware that save settings even after being disconnected from power. The details on such battery is probably buried somewhere in the user manual.

As for the battery being user-replaceable -- maybe, maybe not. Some are soldered in place while others are clipped. While the soldered ones can be removed, you do need to be fairly handy with a soldering iron. The actual battery itself should be widely available at any hardware store or electronics dealer. A PSR shouldn't be too hard to open up. The battery will be about the same size and shape as a US nickel.

Les C Deal

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by LarryShone
I presume my old Yamaha PSR uses some kind of memory back up as until now it would save songs I'd made . I posted this on another forum (general keyboard site) and got a guy arguing with me that according to the manual it only uses D type batteries for power.
Well that's obvious but I've never used it with batteries so obviously there must be something used to save settings and such!

Which model of PSR?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
Originally Posted by LarryShone

Which model of PSR?

Sorry, PSR 225

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LesCharles73
Probably a coin-type lithium battery. They're common in computers and other hardware that save settings even after being disconnected from power. The details on such battery is probably buried somewhere in the user manual.

As for the battery being user-replaceable -- maybe, maybe not. Some are soldered in place while others are clipped. While the soldered ones can be removed, you do need to be fairly handy with a soldering iron. The actual battery itself should be widely available at any hardware store or electronics dealer. A PSR shouldn't be too hard to open up. The battery will be about the same size and shape as a US nickel.

Ah I didnt see your reply, thanks Les. I have some experience with electronics , (training course in the '90s) so I should be able to manage it if its soldered in.
The manual doesnt mention it but then they dont want people opening their keyboards up! Will crack her open later...

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I had a psr which failed to retain it`s memory without the D batteries (6 of `em) to the degree I couldn`t change the batteries witout having it plugged into the mains. I had it in bits and couldn`t find the onboard retaining device, whatever it was. The shop denied there was a problem. If you`ve had it some time, put some D batteries in if nobody else offers any other solutions . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I had a psr which failed to retain it`s memory without the D batteries (6 of `em) to the degree I couldn`t change the batteries witout having it plugged into the mains. I had it in bits and couldn`t find the onboard retaining device, whatever it was. The shop denied there was a problem. If you`ve had it some time, put some D batteries in if nobody else offers any other solutions . .

Well if that is the case then it can do without. Batteries are too expensive and heavy, Ive never run it on batteries but it has saved stuff in the past.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The little batteries with the clips spot welded to them are typically a specific part # that electronic supply houses have. If you do identify a battery in your PSR it's advisable to order a replacement that has the same clip configuration. It is nearly impossible and dangerous to solder a clip to a battery yourself.

The owners manual does state that your keyboard 'might' have an internal battery.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Update:
I removed the back, nothing. There is a circuit board upside down but I think that's for all the switches.
But I did find a possible hack. The two wires from the battery tube. I could snip those at the tube end, solder on a square 9volt battery pad and attach such a battery!
Why oh why didn't Yamaha do something like that in the first place??

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The internal battery is always on the mainboard. Sounds like you are looking at one of the little sub boards.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by emenelton
The internal battery is always on the mainboard. Sounds like you are looking at one of the little sub boards.

Well thats as far as Im willing to look. Too many screws and awkward angles to negotiate

Last edited by LarryShone; 03/29/13 12:40 PM.

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It's never a good thing to finally take it apart enough to then realize that to remove the battery, you would have to unscrew all the fasteners that afix the main board to the keyboards chassis. What typically happens then, as you try to remove the main board, you discover all the wiring harnesses still interfere with the extracting of the main board.

Those harnesses usually have locking plugs that can be old and brittle. And so on .....

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by emenelton
It's never a good thing to finally take it apart enough to then realize that to remove the battery, you would have to unscrew all the fasteners that afix the main board to the keyboards chassis. What typically happens then, as you try to remove the main board, you discover all the wiring harnesses still interfere with the extracting of the main board.

Those harnesses usually have locking plugs that can be old and brittle. And so on .....

Indeed, and that's why I stopped at the first stage! I don't have a second keyboard to.play on

My blog:

Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission