Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2056346 - 03/29/13 04:33 PM Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition!
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Here's the press release for the event:

Quote:
Greek Composer Nikolaos Sideris won first prize in the 2nd International Composition Competition Artistes en Herbe. Supported by Luxembourg Ministry of Culture, the prestigious competition attracted more than 220 entries from 17 countries.

The prolific composer, owner of the Musica Ferrum Publishing House which focuses on Contemporary Concert Hall Music, won the Competition with Piano Stories, for piano 4 hands, a work already published by Musica Ferrum, available worldwide on selected music stores and on the House’s online store.

Piano Stories will be performed in a Gala Concert, following the award ceremony, organized in collaboration with the Conservatory of Luxemburg City.

Nikolaos Sideris has been invited to join the judging committee for the 2015 Artistes en Herbe Competition.

You can listen to the full work, with me and Greek pianist Myrto Akrivou in the following youtube video:

And, if I may spam a bit:
  • Buy the recording from CDBaby, or iTunes, or Amazon
  • Buy the score from our website, or grab a bundle of two copies (being a duet) for 33,33% less from HERE
  • Finally, you can always share the news with anyone interest. The video with the full performance is a fine way to do that, without the need for anyone to buy anything...

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2056349 - 03/29/13 04:36 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And in a separate post I'd like to say that I'm extremely happy with this! Not only I won the prize (which includes a nice sum of money as well as the fame that comes with it), but the work seems to be appreciated from anyone who listens... I do hope to get quite a few performances this and the next year... Who knows... perhaps it will be a part of the duo repertoire...

Here's to wishing...

EDIT: But I do need to thank the pianist you see on the video, Myrto Akrivou. She did a great job. Not only she played her part, took part in the video, but she offered suggestions for the performance (to which I'll admit that I think that composers generally do a lousy job performing their own works), and even proposed a couple of things, very timidly, for the music and scores which I accepted straight away. Thus the score has a dedication for her! smile

And the score wouldn't be complete without the artwork from Piero Pierini. The guy is a real artist and is doing an amazing job! If you visit the links you can preview pages of the score and can see examples of his art. It's incredible, if I may say so...

I doubt that I would've won if it wasn't for these two people! So, while I know that most likely they won't be reading this: Thank you! ^_^

Edited by Nikolas (03/29/13 04:38 PM)

#2056434 - 03/29/13 07:06 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Congratulations!!!

This is the Composers Forum after all. The award wasn't for piano playing or teaching, so this is the proper place for it. I'm sure that many, especially those that pass through quickly, never read the teacher or pianist forums.

Let me add how much I admire Nikolas for being so patient with the many beginner and amateur composers on this section, answering their questions, listening to their compositions. It is more remarkable in light of his new lofty perch as award winner. It took me quite a while on Piano World before I learned just how accomplished the new award winner was, and that was before this latest award.

So congratulations again.

Party on dudes and dudettes...

#2056600 - 03/30/13 12:04 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Again, I am very pleased for you, Nikolas, and I hope the success will open more professional doors for you.

#2056642 - 03/30/13 02:18 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Double Congratulations!

* for winning with your compositions
* For making a actual performance what works. Composing is one, playing it is yet another thing !

It's not really my taste yet I liked your performance. So, great work.

#2056769 - 03/30/13 10:10 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Sand Tiger]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Let me add how much I admire Nikolas for being so patient with the many beginner and amateur composers on this section, answering their questions, listening to their compositions. It is more remarkable in light of his new lofty perch as award winner. It took me quite a while on Piano World before I learned just how accomplished the new award winner was, and that was before this latest award.
Thank you SO MUCH for this!

It really means a lot!

You see I started using the Internet at a rather late stage of my life, around 10 years ago... (so at the age of 25 already, which is a tad late). I was introduced to a great online community (which still have my homepage) and I learned so much from them... I still get to ask them no matter what it is. They just help out!

And thus this is how I 'grew up' in the internet: Hoping to help out... smile I hope that I'll be able to carry on doing that, even though this March has been insane and I was unable to keep up at all with the March DEPOSITORY thread... so sorry about that! smile

#2074408 - 04/30/13 05:51 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Goshal904 Offline

Congrats Nikolas smile

#2074477 - 04/30/13 07:47 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Mark Gordon Offline

Congradulations! This is very exciting!

#2074508 - 04/30/13 08:57 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Nikolas
...composers generally do a lousy job performing their own works),

Chopin? Liszt? Rachmaninoff?

Polyphonist

#2074882 - 05/01/13 09:58 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Polyphonist]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

... are definitely exceptions. It seems these days that composing has become somewhat removed from performing. I know that I could spend many hours honing my playing abilities or I can spend time composing. I've spent a lot of time learning my own pieces, but there are only 24 hours in a day and I need to sleep.

I seem to recall already congratulating Nikolas on this. Is this a new thread? If not then my apologies for not stating this before, Congratulations Nikolas, I listened to your piece and really enjoyed it. That's some wonderful work.

Edited by Steve Chandler (05/01/13 10:00 AM)

#2074891 - 05/01/13 10:04 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Polyphonist]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

This is quite annoying, and idiotic. This thread is supposed to give signs of my joy about the award, etc. I already had made a thread in PC (where Steve posted, so it's ok ;)), but Sand tiger made another thread here in the composers forum to prompt me to make one here as well. And thus I did.

And I explained a few things to my way of thinking, and did even add the word "generally" to show that it's not 100% that this is happening.

Yet, all you had to say was this?

Generally I try to ignore people like you, but in this case and in this thread I made an exception! don't count on me cross posting you anymore!

#2074894 - 05/01/13 10:05 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Steve Chandler]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
I seem to recall already congratulating Nikolas on this. Is this a new thread? If not then my apologies for not stating this before, Congratulations Nikolas, I listened to your piece and really enjoyed it. That's some wonderful work.
This is a new thread and you've already congratulated me in PC. But thanks again. Mark brought it back "to light" (Thanks Mark!)...

#2074903 - 05/01/13 10:12 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Congrats Nikolas! What a wondeful accomplishment! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2075011 - 05/01/13 01:00 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
This is pretty awesome. Good job.

#2075084 - 05/01/13 03:14 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Generally I try to ignore people like you, but in this case and in this thread I made an exception! don't count on me cross posting you anymore!

Please do ignore me. I will not miss your posts.

Do you understand the meaning of the term "cross post"?

Polyphonist

#2075087 - 05/01/13 03:23 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Nikolas: I try to avoid jumping into things between other people, but sometimes.....

There was nothing wrong with Poly's post here. I think you must have taken it some wrong way, probably because of a mindset from other discussions (probably justified) grin but I think here it led you a little astray. His post was just a small humorous observation (which made me smile). I doubt he meant to crap on you. smile

#2075258 - 05/01/13 08:15 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

Please do ignore me. I will not miss your posts.

I certainly enjoy his posts. Nikolas is one of the best contributors to these forums.

#2075277 - 05/01/13 09:10 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: JoelW
I certainly enjoy his posts. Nikolas is one of the best contributors to these forums.
thumb

#2075300 - 05/01/13 10:11 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: currawong]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: currawong
Originally Posted By: JoelW
thumb

thumb thumb

#2075311 - 05/01/13 10:29 PM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Mark_C]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

There was nothing wrong with Poly's post here. I think you must have taken it some wrong way, probably because of a mindset from other discussions (probably justified) grin but I think here it led you a little astray. His post was just a small humorous observation (which made me smile). I doubt he meant to crap on you. smile

That's also how I took it, which is why I made an attempt to explain it. I also think Nikolas may have been showing a bit of self deprecation because it's pretty obvious he's a heckuva player. To bring the concept to present day Steven Hough has composed some pretty amazing piano music and lo and behold he plays them quite well. Still I stand by my assertion that both occupations are full time endeavors.

#2075394 - 05/02/13 12:08 AM Re: Nikolas wins 1st prize in an International Competition! [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Everyone: Thanks guys.

So,

Polyphonist: I will assume that I took it the 'wrong' way, as Mark says, but will comment that it certainly wasn't obvious it was a joke or just light hearted and do keep in mind that this thread is so very special and happy and selfish so... :-/ I just couldn't help it.

Steve (and the rest): I seriously think that I'm not a heckuva player anymore. I may have had some kind of soloist personality 10 years ago, but since 2003 I just stopped playing the piano (London 4 years with no keyboard at home can do miracles for your playing! frown )

But my comment had much more to do with the help Myrto provided to me in this case. She didn't teach me or anything, but a fresh eye from a dedicated performer brought many things into the performance. (And, btw, I actually missed a G# in the primo parts in "How to live in an underground home". I just don't look at the score when it's my work! grin). I prefer other people performing rather than me, because I have a pretty pre-set mindset on how it should sound and don't work the same way as I would studying/performing another composers work.

And yes both are full time jobs and I certainly don't have the time to do both. I mean only these 16 minutes of 'not to damning music' took me a few months to semi-practice and rehears with Myrto to get it to what you're watching... :-/

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Abby Pianoman, allakart, 36251, aesop, ando, 17 invisible), 1126 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156857 Topics
2304776 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
08/22/14 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
08/22/14 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
08/22/14 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
08/22/14 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
08/22/14 12:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission