Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#2071116 - 04/26/13 12:08 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: slpianoproject]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: slpianoproject
Here's my contribution to the piano bar!

My teacher (that I don't take lessons with anymore... not enough time) would have alot to say about this performance. He always says I take too much liberty from the sheet music. I don't know how to explain it well in english but lets say I just play more the way i feel than what's really written on the paper if that's more clear. Usually when I want to learn a new piece, I listen to different performances to get a feel for the piece. Then I take what I like the best from what i've heard and try to come up with a performance that is right to my ears. Long story short, most of the times when I show him my work he goes like : Great! You play with alot of .....(insert positive feedback here)...... and ............, I like how you ............ but as usual you take the sheet music with too little consideration!

In this performance you'll notice from start that the tempo might be a little fast. There is actually quite a debate on the net, from what I've seen, on the tempo to use to play this piece. Personally, I'm obviously on the fast side since I think you lose the flow when this piece is played too slow. On top of that I try to avoid using too much rubato and big changes in dynamics as I feel it kills the mood of the piece. Feel free to tell me what you think about it!

Finally, I kinda feel bad posting this since i read 3 days ago that the Mendelssohn themed recital is actually in 2 weeks and not in May anymore but the work was all done already...

P.S : Sorry for the errors i've been on a tight deadline for this one. Should have worked on it more before posting but my piano was freshly tuned! The theme that goes through bar 2 to 4 and repeats at the end sounds so gorgeous on a tuned piano! Had to do it... did my best!

Ohhh lovely! I LOVE this Mendelssohn piece- it has very special meaning to me. I thought it was called the Venetian boat song tho and have been trying to find it online for ages.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2071119 - 04/26/13 12:15 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Saranoya]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
This is my arrangement of My Funny Valentine. I am performing it, both piano and vocal, live for my performance class in 2-1/2 weeks. I still have some more work to do on the vocal.

You do. But I bet you could be fabulous if you found a song that stays within your natural range. And I envy you the ability to sing and play piano at the same time.

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Here's my contribution for the April piano bar!

A little uneven on the timing, but I love your ornamentation!

Originally Posted By: slpianoproject
Let's say I just play more the way I feel than what's really written on the paper.

I'm the same way! My teacher usually comments on it too, and while she tries to correct me sometimes, other times she just 'goes with the flow', or even compliments me on the choices I make in terms of interpretation.

By the way, I don't know what the score actually says, but I really, really like your interpretation of this. And you've just convinced me that one of these 'songs without words', at least, needs to go on my '50 things to play' list.

Thank you so much for sharing, even if it's 'early'.

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
I did something a little different this time. I recorded some songs off YouTube and then put it together with my piano music.

Different, but interesting. Were you listening to these songs as you recorded your piano part? If not, I'm impressed. If so, still pretty darn good wink.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I present my efforts on Handel's "Impertinence".

Heh. Thanks for that! Indeed, no trills. And no (or almost no) legato! I actually had a rather lengthy discussion with my teacher about whether I could do legato in a piece that was written in Händel's time. She seemed convinced that if Händel had had access to a modern piano, he would have written it the way I played it. But I actually quite like your version, and I'm pretty sure it's more historically accurate.

Here comes my entry for this month:

https://soundcloud.com/saranoya/burgmuller-die-klare-bach

I played this piece yesterday, at my class recital, and mangled it badly. So this is a kind of 'proof of concept', to myself and to the world, that I can actually do a halfway decent rendition of this piece, even while under pressure (in this case, the pressure came from the red dot instead of a live audience).

It's not up to tempo (not by a long shot - the metronome marking on the score says 144 BPM to a quarter note), and uneven in places, but it's the first take I did, so it represents my current level of competence with this piece pretty accurately -- at least, when I'm not horrendously nervous.

Lovely music and playing! Not heard this piece before- is it Handel? I see you are a fan of Sigur Ros too like me!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071750 - 04/26/13 06:36 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

Really like your voice and playing- better than most of today's recording "artists" in the pop charts!

Thank you for the kind words.

#2071765 - 04/26/13 07:16 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

You're welcome Newman! I look forward to more of your recordings on piano bar.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071778 - 04/26/13 07:36 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
TheodorN and Lost Woods - thank you for your acknowledgement and I am glad you enjoyed the little improvisation, Icy Patch.

Weiyan ~ your playing improves every month. I'd like to hear your Prokofiev again as it matures under your fingers. As for the tuning, your unisons are much cleaner than in previous submissions. Your ear-hand coordination gets better and better. No doubt playing your piano with cleaner unisons helps you express yourself better. I always look forward to your submissions.

Teodor ~ nice use of the sustain pedal. Never heard of Final Fantasy, but your playing is sensitive and thoughtful. Your touch on the keyboard is much improved since you started submitting on PW. Keep up the good work - it's paying off!

slpianoproject ~ fine Mendelssohn, indeed! I've listened to your submission many times. Not only is the piece very melodic, you bring it out so very well. Beautiful...

Newman ~ your motivation to play Gentle Hum is compelling. As always, your delivery is very polished. The accompaniment to your voice sounds like it's become more second-nature and it's allowing you to project your message more effectively. Thank you for your music!

Lots of really good music this month and it's great to see so many new folks joining in the fun - thank you, all!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#2071830 - 04/26/13 10:20 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Newman, also listened to your submission, Gentle Hum. Very good, singing and playing. I'm sure it helps a lot to sing along with your playing, because the singing is a kind of a substitute for a metronome and a very preferable substitute. It helps with keeping rhythm, at least if we know the song well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2071988 - 04/27/13 08:23 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Glen: Thank you. I usually improved after recording! The Prokfiev is better now. But I am working on new pieces no plan to re-record this piece yet. When my technique getting better, I will re-record some pieces played.

Have a nice weekend!
Weiyan

#2072232 - 04/27/13 04:00 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Weiyan]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Here is my submission. I'm still struggling with tempo issues in the various section. First recording effort was a funeral march in tempo. Man, I didn't think I was taking it that slowly. This attempt is better. But, still not where I want it to be eventully. Hearing myself play has been eye-opening!!

Chopin's Grande Waltz Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2

To access this shared file, visit this link:
https://www.box.com/s/8lk4ch725ixvc9xr7ub3

Edited by dynamobt (04/27/13 04:09 PM)

#2072734 - 04/28/13 10:14 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

dynamob: This is not an easy piece. After 2 min is better. Keep on the good work.

#2072742 - 04/28/13 10:34 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: dynamobt]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
dynamobt - you've made a great start at this piece.
I've dabbled with it in the past but never got it up to you current level. Nice playing.

#2073983 - 04/30/13 07:52 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: stumbler]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

thanks, all.

#2074428 - 04/30/13 06:16 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

dynamobt - great sounding piece well done

#2074440 - 04/30/13 06:39 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Thank you for the comments. I've since realized that even this tempo I take is too slow. I listened to some real pianists play the waltz. They take it much faster. My piano teacher today sprung it on me that I will be playing it in the student evaluations this Saturday. Instructors throughout the state switch around going to other sites to evaluate students who are not their students. I'm playing the Chopin Waltz in a minor and the Bach D minor Invention. I thought I was going to play the A flat Major Chopin Nocturne. Guess not!!!

I appreciate the nice comments and encouragement.

#2074650 - 05/01/13 12:38 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Maechre Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
This one's more about the vocals, but it has piano so I figured, what the hey?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee

#2074683 - 05/01/13 01:49 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Very nice Maechre you have a beautiful voice. But as a Scot I am duty bound to say the Annie Lennox (born in beautiful Aberdeen) version just pips you.

#2074748 - 05/01/13 05:12 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Maechre Offline

Thanks, Earldog. wink

Haha, I think I should have listened to her version a lot more before covering it, as I didn't follow a lot of the melody, leaving it a bit stale IMO. Something to watch for next time!

#2074854 - 05/01/13 09:09 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Nice vocals Maechre....quite flexible too, I can totally hear you sing pop or broadway tunes. Gj with the piano and sight reading. You're a very talented young man. Well done!

#2074862 - 05/01/13 09:29 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Maechre Offline

Thank you! I'm just reading chords and lyrics. smile But you're right, there is a good bit of theatre influence in my voice as I've done several shows over the years. I'd really like to get back into it after studying. Or sooner.

#2074948 - 05/01/13 11:06 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Maechre]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Maechre - What a treat! Another vocalist in the piano bar.

#2074980 - 05/01/13 11:53 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Maechre Offline

Thank you, stumbler. smile

#2075627 - 05/02/13 04:21 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Maechre]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maechre - good work. There was something about your voice made me check your location ... and my response "I thought so - Australian". smile

#2075750 - 05/02/13 09:49 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Maechre Offline

Hehe, it's never an easy pick. In fact, I find almost every singer seems to be an American at first glance (hear?), unless they're going to lengths to sing in their own accent.

#2076398 - 05/03/13 02:41 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maechre: Your piano skill is very good, but your voice is far better. I like the warm tone in the video. Is this sun set or your special lighting?

Edited by Weiyan (05/03/13 02:42 AM)

#2076405 - 05/03/13 03:09 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Maechre]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Maechre
Hehe, it's never an easy pick. In fact, I find almost every singer seems to be an American at first glance (hear?), unless they're going to lengths to sing in their own accent.

Yes. Almost everyone sings 'mid atlantic' but there was something in Maechre's voice that gave it away.

#2076429 - 05/03/13 04:40 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Weiyan]
Maechre Offline

Thank you! I used a lamp to light the room, as I think it looks far better than natural daylight and incandescant/fluorescent light bulbs. smile

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
09/19/14 05:19 PM
Does anybody know about Hayes London?
by Sam4
09/19/14 05:16 PM
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
09/19/14 03:23 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (ando, AB99, acortot, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1114 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157634 Topics
2315360 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission