Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2059869 - 04/05/13 02:13 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Chopin's Prelude in C minor. I haven't studied it yet but I doubt I'd play it in a more profound way if I did, I am what I am right now, a work in progress myself ^_^

Recitals:

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2059871 - 04/05/13 02:22 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Teodor]
leturn Offline

Loc: Alabama
Teodor, very nicely done. It is only the 5th day of the month and the submissions are soooo inspiring. This forum gives me so much motivation. I look forward to the piano bar every month though I have not submitted yet. I have just decided what piece I would like to submit. If not this month, next month

#2059875 - 04/05/13 02:39 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you, this piece is my proof to myself that I do not need to spend too much time before being able to play something on a decent level.

Recitals:

#2059922 - 04/05/13 04:17 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Weiyan,

You are making remarkable progress. On the Bach D minor you may want to check that you hold some of those quarter notes for their full value. Good job overall.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2059944 - 04/05/13 05:06 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Teodor – dark – both music and video
Maechre - I enjoyed that
Peterws – video and music worked well together. Music was good - don’t be so hard in yourself
Weiyan - Keep it up. Never ceases to amaze me how much different music you try - braver than I

And thanks all for the positive feedback

#2059948 - 04/05/13 05:19 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Teodor]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
for someone who hasn't studied the piece yet..that's pretty impressive. I have heard this Chopin piece before and it's probably one of his "darker" (or sadder) pieces that I like.

#2059951 - 04/05/13 05:22 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
When I joined PW I had injured myself on another instrument, and didn't dare do much with piano until I could get a teacher. I stuck mostly to doing theory. And then when I did, it has taken another year for me to dare post anything. As luck would have it, the piece I worked on and planned to post is also the Chopin Cm Prelude. I hope that's ok, Teodor. blush Yours is a run-through, and mine is as finished as I can make it. This is as far as I can go, because I am also "unfinished".

I recorded this yesterday, after getting feedback and ideas from my teacher.
Chopin - Cm Prelude - last version

This is the version I came up with first.
Cm Prelude - 1st try last week

@Teodor - How do you get a sound file into Youtube with a picture?

Edited by keystring (04/05/13 05:35 PM)

#2059953 - 04/05/13 05:25 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: ElleC]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ElleC
here's another one for the bar. Fell in love with JS Bach with this piece...I really wanted to play it and surprisingly was able to during my first month of piano. Though until now, I must say that it's still coming along. This one is played from my digital keyboard. I'm getting my acoustic piano delivered tomorrow so the next contributions will be played from my U1 =)

https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/menuet-bwv-anh-116-js-bach

Tomorrow? Why not play it tomorrow on the acoustic and post here?

And maybe you can post in box instead of soundcloud, my browser gets in an infinite loop "waiting for soundcloud" ...

#2059955 - 04/05/13 05:34 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

keystring, nice. I prefer the slower version. The last chord of 3rd measure should be cminor, not cmajor? First I thought it was just a flub but you play it like that in both versions

Theodor, also nice version, a tad slow but it fits the funeral march and I prefer this sound over the digital smile I see some room for improvement of recording quality wink

#2059965 - 04/05/13 05:51 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: keystring]
ElleC Offline

keystring, that was lovely. you are able to bring out the emotions well. can't wait to hear your finished version.

#2059966 - 04/05/13 05:52 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: wouter79]
ElleC Offline

ok wouter, i'll see what i can do. and have you tried using a different browser?

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Originally Posted By: ElleC
here's another one for the bar. Fell in love with JS Bach with this piece...I really wanted to play it and surprisingly was able to during my first month of piano. Though until now, I must say that it's still coming along. This one is played from my digital keyboard. I'm getting my acoustic piano delivered tomorrow so the next contributions will be played from my U1 =)

https://soundcloud.com/elle_c/menuet-bwv-anh-116-js-bach

Tomorrow? Why not play it tomorrow on the acoustic and post here?

And maybe you can post in box instead of soundcloud, my browser gets in an infinite loop "waiting for soundcloud" ...

#2059970 - 04/05/13 06:02 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: wouter79]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79

Theodor, also nice version, a tad slow but it fits the funeral march and I prefer this sound over the digital smile I see some room for improvement of recording quality wink

I was trying to slow down. I played through it a few times and I noticed I was rushing it. It is marked Lento after all, which is just a general direction to play slowly.

Originally Posted By: keystring

Well it's easy you open up Windows Movie Maker (if you use a Windows PC you have it). You download a picture in a convenient location on your PC and then just drag it into the movie maker program. You then add the mp3 as audio line below it and adjust the duration of the picture to as much as the audio lasts (assuming you want it to last through the whole audio track).

By the way I like your version much better, it's more thoughtful and meaningful.

Recitals:

#2059987 - 04/05/13 06:34 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Here`s another one. You`ll know this . . . I thought I`d shortcircuit the learning process and use more o` my left hand . . . and alter the arrangement a wee bit . . .Now, it might not have been one o` my better ideas. But I really don`t like black notes. The vid screams along a bit faster than the audio. Fun isn`t it? Supposed to be a serious piece o` music . . .ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fIynGmH98Y

""

#2059989 - 04/05/13 06:40 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Teodor]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Teodor - Very impressive. You capture the dark side o` Chopin excellently. Now, I don`t like most o` his music. My dad did. But when he played it (CDs) I kept out o` his way . . . !

""

#2059990 - 04/05/13 06:45 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: keystring]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Keystring - It`s Chopin night tonight! Happy days . . .Nicely done. Barry Manilow did a lot of Chopin based songs. Well, two at least . .

""

#2059992 - 04/05/13 06:51 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: ElleC]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ya play that well young lady! Bach is a safe bet . . I have a sister called Ellie; she carved her name on the piano . ..

""

#2060013 - 04/05/13 07:41 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]

Wouter: That's interesting about your preference of the slower version. About the last chord of m. 3 - there's controversy about it, with people divided whether Chopin wanted Cm or C major.

ElleC: Thanks. That's as far as I can bring it. There are still technical things I need to learn solve so I'm stopping here. It's like Teodor said.

peterws: thanks. smile

#2060033 - 04/05/13 08:39 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Teodor]

Originally Posted By: Teodor

Well it's easy you open up Windows Movie Maker (if you use a Windows PC you have it). You download a picture in a convenient location on your PC and then just drag it into the movie maker program. You then add the mp3 as audio line below it and adjust the duration of the picture to as much as the audio lasts (assuming you want it to last through the whole audio track).

Thx. I saw something on Youtube about "Windows Movie Maker" and they were saying to download. You're saying I already have it? If true - cool! I'm trying to get away from Boxnet because I have to pay a monthly fee which I'd rather not do.

Quote:

I was trying to slow down. I played through it a few times and I noticed I was rushing it. It is marked Lento after all, which is just a general direction to play slowly.

I liked the weightiness of it in your playing. If you're just starting with it before studying it, this already sounds good.

We talked about the tempo. Some of the earlier pianists seem to play it faster than it's done nowadays, and if it is a funeral march, just how slow can the pall bearers march? I was of two minds about the speed. Is really slow "lento", or have we moved to grave?

Are you able to do the heavy chords without tensing up? I'm still learning how to do that, which is one reason for stopping now.

#2060059 - 04/05/13 09:47 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
ElleC: Only three months, you progress like a rocket.

#2060060 - 04/05/13 09:52 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Teodor: very nice progress.
Keystring: The prelude in Cm is very nice.
peterws: Your playing of Schubert Impromptu is very nice. Seeing your fingers flying over the keyboard is interesting.

Edited by Weiyan (04/05/13 10:00 PM)

#2060061 - 04/05/13 09:57 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Weiyan]
ElleC Offline

Thanks Weiyan. Though I never played any musical instrument as a child, I can probably attribute my progress from being able to somewhat read notes. I was in a choir in hs and college so i guess you can say that it helped.

Originally Posted By: Weiyan
ElleC: Only three months, you progress like a rocket.

#2060067 - 04/05/13 10:12 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

JimF: Thank you for the advice.

Newman: Adventure inside the keyboard. If I concentrate to one style may progress faster.

#2060108 - 04/05/13 11:52 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
April piano bar is going gang busters. I only made it part way through Apr 1 so far.

Starr Keys - Nice arrangement. At times your singing makes me think of Jill Barber.

wouter79 - Couperin - love the ornaments.
I find a lot of French baroque a bit scary as there is no way I can play so many fast trills so close together. Hat off to you.

slpianoproject - Mendelssohn - solid performance. I'm not familiar enough with a lot of Mendelssohn to comment on the tempo, but if you play it a little fast, it does not sound too fast to me.

ladypayne - very inventive. I like both, but Winnie the Pooh is my favourite.

casinitaly - Handle's Impertinence - nice phrasing and dynamics

Saranoya - burgmuller - pretty good work

BillM - Whiter Shade of Pale - as always great work
(I'm happy with the Church Organ)

Newman - Michelle - love your Beatles

SwissMS - Bacarolle - this one is new to me. I like it, and your new piano too!

Amaruk - Misty Mountains Cold - once again above and beyond in video production, and well played as always.

Mark - Sunrise on the Harbor - sounds 20th cebtury, who is it by?

Riddler - Love Ballade - I wouldn't have guessed this was by Oscar Peterson. Your playing is very calm and sweet.

Elssa - Memory - Nice tribute to Gwen.

Newman - Michelle (instr) - That works too.

I finally reached petersw's comment "Slow down guys!" on April 1.
Time for a break. I'm looking forward to the rest of this week's submissions.

#2060181 - 04/06/13 04:37 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: keystring]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Are you able to do the heavy chords without tensing up? I'm still learning how to do that, which is one reason for stopping now.

As soon as your hands are on the keys and you have produced the sound you have time to relax your hands, you should work on that definitely. I only have tension in 2 of the chords and it's because my hand doesn't span comfortably for them. The second chord of measure 2 in particular is not comfortable at all. I can reach a 10th if there is nothing in between but here there is. an A flat and a D flat. It was even more difficult when I first tried this etude long ago. Now it's challenging but not difficult to play this chord. But I feel if I keep at it my hands will begin to hurt, I don't want to push it. Overall I am a lot more relaxed than before but still not enough.

Recitals:

#2060184 - 04/06/13 04:55 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Teodor -your Chopin was certainly dramatic! I wonder if you will play it differently in the future? I'm impressed you can do it so well so quickly! (Not that it is very important, but I didn't see any picutre in your video.?)

Keystring - it was very interesting to hear a second version of the same prelude so soon after hearing Teodor's. I liked the nuance of expressions in your second version - sometimes I hear furious grief, sometimes heartbreak.

ElleC --- your Bach was charming. Beautifully played!!

Petersw: I really enjoyed your Schumann Impromptu! I especially liked the dramatic part at about the 2 minute point, and the shift in sound at about 3 minutes. Something for me to aspire to!

As for your comment on my Schumann Melody...thanks very much! I'll try to oblige with more Schumann soon...I've just started learning a new one smile (First Loss)

SwissMS - thank you - This is a simple Schumann piece in many ways, but getting it to sound soft and pretty and smooth was a challenge.

Weiyan - thank you for noticing the balance in my Handel piece - It was a labour of love - this type of music is so much fun!

Stumbler - thank you! I've been really working at phrasing and dynamics - glad it shows!

#2060189 - 04/06/13 05:08 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: casinitaly]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Teodor -your Chopin was certainly dramatic! I wonder if you will play it differently in the future? I'm impressed you can do it so well so quickly! (Not that it is very important, but I didn't see any picutre in your video.?)

Thank you.

I couldn't make a video, I wanted to get the best sound possible instead. There is no good spot for my phone to shoot a video. And the picture is just the sheet music which appears in the very beginning.

Recitals:

#2060196 - 04/06/13 05:34 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Teodor]

Originally Posted By: Teodor

As soon as your hands are on the keys and you have produced the sound you have time to relax your hands, you should work on that definitely. I only have tension in 2 of the chords and it's because my hand doesn't span comfortably for them. The second chord of measure 2 in particular is not comfortable at all.

Yes, I've been working on the "after". (thx) I've isolated the problem to before playing a loud large chord. It's a habit from when I played self-taught 35 years ago. Mind says "Loud coming up - push hard, make hands rigid!" and that reflex is still in there. I started doing piano with my teacher a bit over a year ago, and the act of playing chords had to be changed. "Large and loud" is new. I wonder if span also has an effect. I can barely get a 9th.

For m. 2 beat 2, do you cover the Db & Eb with your thumb? That made it almost an "easy" chord once I learned to do this.

#2060206 - 04/06/13 06:00 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: keystring]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

For m. 2 beat 2, do you cover the Db & Eb with your thumb? That made it almost an "easy" chord once I learned to do this.

Yes that's how I play it as well. It's easy now after some practice. I can't play it any other way. My hand doesn't reach if I try playing each note with a different finger.

Recitals:

#2060216 - 04/06/13 06:47 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
LarryShone Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Teodor great playing, its a dark piece but it appeals to me. Its almost like late Beethoven!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2060231 - 04/06/13 07:48 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you, I sent it to a friend of mine and he said it made him feel very sad. Which is weird because I don't get a sad feeling when I play it. It's sort of majestic with all those powerful chords. Like a celebration of the darker side of life that is necessary in order to appreciate all the good.

I'd love to one day play some of Beethoven's sonatas. When I am prepared. Beethoven's music is what made me take up piano in the first place

Edited by Teodor (04/06/13 07:48 AM)

Recitals:

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (36251, aesop, *windowlicker*, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1250 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission