Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2063309 - 04/12/13 06:26 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Newman]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I would reckon the most polished of performers see fault in their work which can always be improved. I was reluctant to join this forum because I have been playing semi pro for a number of years. At the bottom end of that scale so to speak. But the blurb advises all are welcome. Dammit, would I go over to the pianist`s forum? Strewth! I`d fall out big time wi that lot . . they`re only interested in pianos, not playing `em, it seems. It`s the other way round here, as it should be imo. Fight the good fight!

People here have the capacity for rapid improvement. I just seek improvement which wouldn`t happen without you guys or the recordings which I now do. These highlight everything, I should`ve done this years ago . . . .

Edited by peterws (04/12/13 06:27 AM)

""

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2063312 - 04/12/13 06:37 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here`s an update on one I made earlier. Drums guitar and bass added, (organ deducted) ha ha - can`t hear `em without headphones on . . . It is great fun playing other instruments. The ones on my piano won`t be top end, but I`m happy with em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiiNZOjVy4k

Edited by peterws (04/12/13 06:53 AM)

""

#2063565 - 04/12/13 03:49 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Weiyan]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Weiyan

I played it without paddle. There is a paddle note G...

Hmmm...

Polyphonist

#2063566 - 04/12/13 03:51 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: keystring]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: keystring
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

The pianist playing ... distorts the rhythmic values.

This is the ABF, not the Pianist forum featuring experienced advanced students and pianists, probably mostly trained. Those of us participating here are in the process of learning. Would it make a difference if you wrote "the student" instead of "the pianist" - and maybe, if you are a teacher, if you advised rather than using words like "distort"?

I don't know how familiar you are with people starting music as adults. One of the biggest problems is wanting to do things perfectly. Teachers go to great pains to say that learning to play and perfection do not go together, that every weakness is a chance for growth, and that it is expected. If we are lucky enough to have lessons, then what we present will not be "performances", but what we are able to reach, and from there we go further. You don't expect from a student what you expect from a performer. This is a place where we learn to play in front of our peers, where it is safe to do so, for encouragement and maybe some advice here and there. It's my first time participating, but I imagine that what we're looking for is how everyone grows over time.

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my overly harsh comment: I have edited it. smile

Polyphonist

#2063609 - 04/12/13 04:44 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Weiyan]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Weiyan,

I really liked your Romance. One only has to go back a few months to compare your videos and see how much progress you are making. Keep it up.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2063861 - 04/13/13 04:39 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

My first contribution here. Spanish Romance easy version (arrange by GALYA). Sheet music here: http://www.freesheetpianomusic.com/content/2_easy_level/PDF/Spanish%20Romance.pdf

Hope to receive comment from all of you so that I can improve ^^

• Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

#2063893 - 04/13/13 07:51 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

mattroilanh_tt Well played! No mistakes, nice sounding piano you have there, too. The flow of the piece will come with time, make no mistake; you have the concentration to play accurately. Which is more than I have ..! Welcome aboard, Shipmate!(Jolly Tar Division)

""

#2063948 - 04/13/13 10:39 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
mattroilanh_tt: Good! Welcome. The rhythm is stable. This piece inspired many young man to play guitar. Now you inspired people to play piano! You could try softer touch. Waiting for the second paragraph.

#2063978 - 04/13/13 11:28 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

Thanks peterws & Weiyan for your nice comments smile

#2063987 - 04/13/13 11:40 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
mattroilanh_tt, what I liked especially besides the clean playing was the relaxed movement in your wrists and hands. I'm not a piano teacher but I imagine that this has to be a very good starting point to grow from. This is something that I'm chasing after starting the wrong way once upon a time.

#2064000 - 04/13/13 12:07 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Inlanding - Icy Patch - that's a fun piece, this piano bar is really jump'n now.

peterws - Sack the Band! wi drums - works with drums too, though I liked the organ on your previous version.

mattroilanh_tt - Spanish Romance - I hadn't heard this on piano before. Nice steady rhythm. Would love to hear it again when you've added a bit more expression.
(For some reason the first section this reminded me of a Tom Waits song. The lyrics "send me off to be forever more" popped into my head. Is it just me, or is there some resemblance to "Tango Till They're Sore" ?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLBWJutzEI

#2064008 - 04/13/13 12:32 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Thank you, Weiyan, ElleC, Peter, and Stumbler for your kind words on short improvisation, Icy Patch.

Thanks for sharing your RH practice session, Weiyan. Good to see you working so diligently.

mattroilanh_tt~~ First, welcome to the piano bar! You are certainly playing the notes very well with your Romance piece. Keep listening to others who play it to help you develop a sense of dynamics and mood the piece can evoke. It is beautiful and you play quite nicely. Look forward to hearing it again after it matures under your fingers.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2064050 - 04/13/13 02:17 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
It's snowy in some parts, even this late in the season - Here's Snowy Day

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2064086 - 04/13/13 03:25 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Inlanding]
stumbler Offline

Inlanding - Snowy day. Nice and mellow.
But I have a practice to start. I had best go back and listen to your previous submission to get my edge back.

#2064153 - 04/13/13 06:12 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Inlanding]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Inlanding

Here's a quick tune -

Very catchy, very lyrical, very original.

You have an impressive facility for zipping up and down the keyboard at a good clip, your hands seemingly stress-free.

I gotta practice.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2064163 - 04/13/13 06:40 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Inlanding – Icy Patch. Good work. Seemed to capture, what, the twenties? But so short. And Snowy Day - those fingers were flying. Oh, how I wish. I had a go at the intro to Factory ( Springsteen) last night but it's still beyond me.
Weiyan – Romance - keep at it
mattroilanh_tt – Welcome!
Peterws - IMHO was better without the drums.

#2064209 - 04/13/13 08:02 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
stumbler Offline

I haven't posted a Scottish fiddle tune lately.
Here is one I arranged and recorded last year, but haven't shared yet.

Miss Stewart of Allanbank's Strathspey from William Shepherd's 1st Collection

https://www.box.com/s/9m19jmgkajmhqhe7k2dg

#2064337 - 04/14/13 03:42 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Glen - Icey Patch – what a lovely jaunty piece, a real toe-tapper, full of energy and good cheer! Snowy Day was also most enjoyable – a little more laid back, but not a “lazying by the fire” sound – more like….”snowball fight”!

Weiyan, your second recording sounds more relaxed, nice balance with the LH and RH playing staccato and legato! I agree with Jim, having seen many of your videos for about a year now, your progress is very clear. You are playing a lot of different types of music too, which keeps the level of challenge high!

Peterws – I will have to get out the headphones and get back to you! I like this piece –and the video was fun to watch again ! (strewth….I can’t think of the when I last “heard” anyone say that. !)

Mattroilanh tt: Your Spanish Romance was very nicely played. Accurate with the notes, even tempo – you’ve started off very well on your piano journey!

Stumbler – what a charming piece! I have never heard it before, so can’t compare your arrangement to anything else- but I liked yours. You made it sound easy – but careful listening shows the different voices and ornaments which in fact are not all that easy to pull together so smoothly!

#2064339 - 04/14/13 03:46 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
stumbler thumb I always enjoy your strathspeys when I catch them smile

Cathy

#2064344 - 04/14/13 04:15 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Inlanding]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Inlanding A jazzman in the making! You`re there already, mate. Lovely, smooth, dexterous. More! Gimmee more . . . (love the chords.)

""

#2064364 - 04/14/13 07:18 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Inlanding: Another improvisation. Its a warm snowy day. Awesome.

Thank your all encourage and give advice to me. I had go through online resources and books, finally find out a sure way to improve: keeping post two or more videos each month. grin

#2064551 - 04/14/13 03:34 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
stumbler Offline

Thanks casinitaly, Cathy. I find strathspeys very satisfying. They usually have such strong melody and their slower tempo leaves them within my skill range.

#2064887 - 04/15/13 09:42 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
mattroilanh_tt Offline

My second submission ^^ I am self-learning so all your critical comments are very helpful for me ^^

#2064899 - 04/15/13 10:07 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: mattroilanh_tt]
stumbler Offline

mattroilanh_tt - Greensleeves - very well played. I think I hear more expression than your previous post. Cute video effects too.

#2065061 - 04/15/13 04:02 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: stumbler]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

nice

#2066527 - 04/18/13 12:08 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Codi Offline

Loc: Banksoda muddy river, Missouri...
I keep returning to re-listen to everyone's music, it is all so fantastic to me. This is my favorite thread. I didn't practice much before I found this forum, because I never played for anyone, just myself to pass time. Sharing on this thread inspires me to practice and try harder! Thank you for all the feedback on 'Cruella', and it is true, I play it with a different feeling each time because it's fun!

I tried to put together another video, but had problems recording the digital through audacity. Wish I was more tech savvy! I'd like to make a slide show video some day with Movie Maker. I enjoy the vids of more than just piano hands, with scenery and pets and things outside (although the piano hands videos are still very nice too!).

#2066611 - 04/18/13 03:31 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Codi]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If I can manage Audacity, you should have no bother. Have you tried using your piano headphone output into the Audacity? You can play straight onto it or record then play that.

""

#2066653 - 04/18/13 05:08 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Codi Offline

Loc: Banksoda muddy river, Missouri...
Yes that is how I was doing it (the piano headphone jack into the computer's microphone jack). But it played through as if there was 1 or 2 second delay, so I couldn't listen to myself as I played because the delay got me all mixed up. I'm sure it is just something that I am doing wrong. A setting box that needs checked or something. I may try recording it on the piano, and then transferring that as a file to the laptop with the USB. If you have an idea of what I might be doing wrong, please share or send me a pm. I would appreciate any help with that!

#2066659 - 04/18/13 05:23 PM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Starr Keys]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Gah, I really can't keep up with the piano bar lately. I wanted to submit something every month. Listening to the other entries would be nice too...

My first encounter with Einaudi:

#2066896 - 04/19/13 03:57 AM Re: April Piano Bar (Before April 1 and No Fool'n!) [Re: Allard]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Allard
Gah, I really can't keep up with the piano bar lately. I wanted to submit something every month. Listening to the other entries would be nice too...

My first encounter with Einaudi:

Yes, this month seems to have seen a lot more activity than usual.

That's a really moody piece. Crossing hands is something I have yet to try.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
Who's Online
88 registered (anotherscott, alfredo capurso, 36251, BB Player, 29 invisible), 1176 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission