Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2056465 - 03/29/13 08:04 PM Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory?
Jason Zhao Offline

I always heard that Baldwin was once the best piano sometime ago, but then went into bankruptcy and got bought by a Chinese company.

I recently saw a Baldwin M1 Artist Series that had been used for about $14,500. The owner said he couldn't find the papers or any results on-line relating to the age.

Is this Baldwin just an Asian piano with a Baldwin name? I heard that this piano is one of the more popular baby grands.

Thanks to everyone!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2056466 - 03/29/13 08:08 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Seriously, what? I know from your recent posts you are buying a grand piano. Why don't you just play the instrument and decide for yourself. Unless you are buying it based on a brand name, don't, cause your non-musician friends won't know any better and won't give a damn. (Do you also have some bias against Asian piano makers. If so I will disapoint you now and tell you they make some fine pianos, at the high end and the other end where they would be great value for the money for those lacking it).

Now if you play and cannot tell the difference between pianos then ask yourself what are you spending the extra money for, cause surely as a young man you can spend it towards other things in life.

(And for the story about the used Balwin, if it sounds fishy then don't risk it, there are thousands of used pianos out there, the one you are considering with that special story isn't that "special". Don't get swindled. I am only saying this cause from reading your posts you sound like a clueless teenager. And I don't mean all teenagers are clueless. Just you.)

#2056474 - 03/29/13 08:13 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Jason Zhao Offline

Well, I guess I just like hearing others opinions, I'm so indecisive I rely on others for decisions.
I guess this is one of those situations where I have to decide myself.
Nvm then, this thread is aboandoned :P

Edited by Jason Zhao (03/29/13 08:13 PM)

#2056476 - 03/29/13 08:15 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
adak Offline

And don't be such a push over. No need to abandon the thread, just wait and get a couple of more opinions. You might learn something new. A grand piano is an expensive purchase for most, best have all the info and get what you want.

#2056485 - 03/29/13 08:30 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: adak]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: adak
And don't be such a push over. No need to abandon the thread, just wait and get a couple of more opinions. You might learn something new. A grand piano is an expensive purchase for most, best have all the info and get what you want.
Pretty obnoxious as was your first post in the thread.

#2056491 - 03/29/13 08:39 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jason Zhao
I always heard that Baldwin was once the best piano sometime ago,

Baldwin was never, by any means, "the best piano". There is no "best piano", and if there were, it would not have been Baldwin.

but then went into bankruptcy and got bought by a Chinese company.

No. It is an American company, and went into Bankruptcy twice. The last time, it was purchased by Gibson. Baldwin did purchase a factory in China, but still built pianos in the US until 2008.

I recently saw a Baldwin M1 Artist Series that had been used for about $14,500. The owner said he couldn't find the papers or any results on-line relating to the age.

Is this Baldwin just an Asian piano with a Baldwin name? I heard that this piano is one of the more popular baby grands.

No. The M1 Artist Series was always a US-built product. You can differentiate Chinese-built from American-built based on whether or not there is a "c" over the "i" in Baldwin.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2056535 - 03/29/13 10:03 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: pianoloverus]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Pretty obnoxious as was your first post in the thread.

Every post Adak makes is obnoxious.

#2056544 - 03/29/13 10:20 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Jason -

There should be a serial number clearly visible inside the piano. If you can get the serial number - you can find the piano's approximate age (see link).

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm#BALDWIN

#2056619 - 03/30/13 01:03 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Seriously, what? I know from your recent posts you are buying a grand piano. Why don't you just play the instrument and decide for yourself. Unless you are buying it based on a brand name, don't, cause your non-musician friends won't know any better and won't give a damn. (Do you also have some bias against Asian piano makers. If so I will disapoint you now and tell you they make some fine pianos, at the high end and the other end where they would be great value for the money for those lacking it).

Now if you play and cannot tell the difference between pianos then ask yourself what are you spending the extra money for, cause surely as a young man you can spend it towards other things in life.

(And for the story about the used Balwin, if it sounds fishy then don't risk it, there are thousands of used pianos out there, the one you are considering with that special story isn't that "special". Don't get swindled. I am only saying this cause from reading your posts you sound like a clueless teenager. And I don't mean all teenagers are clueless. Just you.)

Adak,

I’m actually not familiar with you as a member on the piano forum… you must hang out mostly on another forum here on PW.

Anyway, I’m inclined to agree with others that your post here is over the top in terms of being rude and obnoxious. I would caution you to be a little more considerate in regards to the tone of your posts.

Rickster

#2056679 - 03/30/13 05:44 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
miscrms Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The impression I've gotten is the US made Baldwins (the Artist series later on) had a pretty good reputation right up to the end. It seems like they more or less maintained that "Baldwin sound" throughout, but did have some quality issues the later you get making it particularly important to get a thorough inspection by an independent tech. Someone here (or on the tech forum) can probably give you a better idea about specific things to have checked carefully. I seem to recall one of the concerns was changes made to the bridge, which can be problematic over time on some of them.

FWIW I think its smart to gather as many opinions and information as you can regarding a purchase this significant. Ultimately what matters most is how it sounds and feels to you (and the backing of an evaluation by a tech you trust is like a little insurance against a big disappointment), but it certainly doesn't hurt to go into it as educated as possible wink

Best of Luck!

Rob

#2056789 - 03/30/13 11:03 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Rickster]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: Rickster

Adak,

I’m actually not familiar with you as a member on the piano forum… you must hang out mostly on another forum here on PW.

Anyway, I’m inclined to agree with others that your post here is over the top in terms of being rude and obnoxious. I would caution you to be a little more considerate in regards to the tone of your posts.

Rickster

If I could help a young boy who is vulnerable and inexperienced be better off, then I feel it is worth it. That is how I see it, I do consider him when I write my responses, he only deserves honest advice and nothing less.

#2056820 - 03/30/13 11:37 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: adak]
Dwscamel Offline

@adak: I don't know. On one hand, yes, your posts did have some real advice in them. And if you truly believe that you're trying to help the guy, that's great. On the other hand, you can do it without sounding like an Internet hooligan. I don't really care what you post/do at the end of the day - that's your choice - but it's not hard to be less offensive. At least you stand by what you say.

OT: I was just playing a Baldwin grand the other day. I don't know if it's U.S. made or Chinese, or the year, or the exact model (unfortunately). But it played like a dream. The sound was superb and crisp and the key action was light and responsive. For comparison/reference: I'm used to the crappy, cheap GHS action of my Yamaha P85 digital, and I've owned a Wurlitzer Spinet before. So I'm used to a very light action on my digital and a very heavy clumsy action on the Spinet. But the Baldwin was a dream! I would buy it in a heartbeat. The only caveat is that the sustain pedal was strangely difficult to depress. I've never had that problem with, say, the Yamahas or Petroff uprights I've played. If it's any help/indication about the model, on the fallboard was printed "...designed by Steinway and Sons" on the right-hand side.

#2056822 - 03/30/13 11:45 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Dwscamel,

It would seem that you were playing a Boston, rather than a Baldwin.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2056824 - 03/30/13 11:49 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Dwscamel Offline

I just thought about it. You're right. Oops!

#2056840 - 03/30/13 12:29 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This should give you an overview of Baldwin history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS4JmhpgOJw

#2056864 - 03/30/13 01:25 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Bob Newbie]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
I will be the devil's advocate here :-) I found much sense in adak's post.

Jason, I did a very extensive passive research on pianos last year when I was looking. I did not ask questions of PW as you are doing, but gosh, I read up everything I could find on PW that seemed relevant. Between PW and PB, I wrote charts with price ranges, and brand positions, blah blah ... I looked at eBay and CL to get ideas about used piano prices. When I finally went to the stores, it all went out the window. The research was still a good set of guidelines for the purchase process, but its no substitute to going and playing the pianos. Comparing pianos across stores is hard enough (likely impossible unless you are an expert who knows exactly what they are looking for regarding touch and tone). Comparing them in the cyberspace is good for developing guideline, but please don't make a decision based of this process.

Edited by rlinkt (03/30/13 01:25 PM)

#2057030 - 03/30/13 06:56 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
BGJ Offline

Loc: Texas
I think American Baldwins can be some of the best pianos out there, they have a wonderful "dark" American tone. However, 5'-2" is very small and I recommend you consider larger used grands. The tone improves significantly with size. Baldwin L's (6'-3")are very nice and you may find an older used one for 15K or possibly even less. Always have the best independent piano tech you can find check it out.

#2057089 - 03/30/13 09:09 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: rlinkt]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: rlinkt
It's the horrendous tone of the post, arrogant put downs, and unnecessary insults that posters have objected to... and rightly so.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/30/13 09:13 PM)

#2057132 - 03/30/13 10:57 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: BGJ]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
A well made Baldwin M will outperform a Steinway S in dynamic range, and clarity across the compass.

In todays market a GOOD baldwin M, R, L, or F is among the best used piano bargains you will find. The recent company turmoil has tarnished the brand even back to when they were well made.

Have any particular prospect inspected by a Tech skilled in tone regulation to know what you are buying.

#2057135 - 03/30/13 11:04 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
A well made Baldwin M will outperform a Steinway S in dynamic range, and clarity across the compass.

And many of the newer designs out perform both of them!

#2057140 - 03/30/13 11:16 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I sell used pianos that I select because I know with the work I do on them they will perform better than any new piano.

The highest state of the art in pianos in todays market are ones rebuilt by skilled, experienced and innovative technicians.

If there were new pianos that met my standards I would sell them.

#2057236 - 03/31/13 07:49 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

And many of the newer designs out perform both of them!

And what would those be?

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#2057256 - 03/31/13 08:51 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]

Hi Rich,

I was thinking in terms of the new designs by Del Fandrich, Frank Emerson, and Lothar Thomma. I also prefer the small Bostons to the S&S-S and Bald-M. I'm not comparing build quality, it is only in reference to initial performance of small grands.

#2057267 - 03/31/13 09:07 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Thanks Marty. Unfortunately I've not had the opportunity to play the newly designed small grands. Of the older models I've always thought the Baldwin M stood out for it's size.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#2057276 - 03/31/13 09:24 AM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]

Rich,

I agree with you about the Baldwin M and I would also choose it over a Steinway S. It's a fine small grand. I have always been partial to the Baldy 7 footers, through all of its various incarnations.

#2057586 - 03/31/13 11:29 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
2001 - 2003 were about the last straggler Baldwin grands to roll out of the grand piano plant in Conover Arkansas. We had one here that was a dealer leftover which I think sold for 10K last year. It was very important to the buyer that it be one of the last American made Baldwins. The M has a good reputation and I think the R ( 5.8ft) is more popular with established song writers who have room for one.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2057829 - 04/01/13 02:51 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: pianoloverus]
adak Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: rlinkt
It's the horrendous tone of the post, arrogant put downs, and unnecessary insults that posters have objected to... and rightly so.

*Edited by moderator*

Adak, you’ve been asked politely to tone it down with the harsh talk toward the OP and you have not taken the hint… this time I’ll tone it down for you. Consider this another polite warning; next time you may get more than a warning (meaning temporary suspension from PW member privileges).

Rickster

Edited by Rickster (04/01/13 03:30 PM)
Edit Reason: Abusive language

#2057836 - 04/01/13 03:03 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]

I always thought that youngsters were encouraged to ask questions. I guess I was wrong and should just dismiss their interest. I have seen the light.

re; Adak 7:3-5

#2057838 - 04/01/13 03:07 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: adak]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Perhaps he needs a spanking to set him straight. Such is a boy, especially for one with no confidence and cannot make decisions for himself. Not a man. Just a boy. A boy deserves no respect. Only men can earn it.

The only person here who needs a spanking is you! Stop being a brat.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2057847 - 04/01/13 03:20 PM Re: Does Baldwin still have a bit of glory? [Re: Jason Zhao]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
This thread has served its purpose and has become a sounding board for continuing verbal abuse, which is unacceptable.

Thread closed…

Rickster

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
175 registered (Akshay, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 56 invisible), 1699 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253305 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
26 minutes 20 seconds ago
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
32 minutes 6 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
32 minutes 13 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
33 minutes 30 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
50 minutes 29 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission