Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2056539 - 03/29/13 10:09 PM Royal Consrvatory Q
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
I am working through John Thompson Book 1 and I am comfortable with the material. I thought I would get The royal Conservatory - the Celebration Series Perspectives, Piano repertoire 1, as supplementary music. It appears to be a bit more difficult than I expected.

Someone starting piano would find this difficult, so is there something else that they learn first before they start the conservatory stuff or am I missing something.

The first piece is Minuet in G Major by Haydin and in the first couple of measures, I had an octive reach and a index finger over thumb, which I can do, but musically it is a bit of reach for me at this point.

Thanks for any insight or explanation.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2056590 - 03/29/13 11:42 PM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Michael_99]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
It won't be impossible for you to get through the RCM course (and exams) without a teacher, but it'll be difficult.

Clearly, "Grade 1" means different things to different people. Match up the technical demands of the RCM pieces, for its "Grade 1", against what's in your lesson books. When your lesson book has reached "crossovers" and octave reaches (whatever "grade" that is), _that_ should be when you try the Haydn.

"Learning piano" involves a balance between success and frustration. Welcome to the club!

. Charles

#2056702 - 03/30/13 06:59 AM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Charles Cohen]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Charles,

Thanks very much for your explanation. As you say grade one is different things to different people/books.

I am interested in the material not the exams and will blend the material as I learn it though
John Thompson. I now understand the bigger picture.

#2056726 - 03/30/13 08:27 AM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Michael_99]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Also, the music is in the RCM books in chronological order and not in order of difficulty, so you wouldn't start with the first piece in the book. Unfortunately, you'd have to purchase the book or get a copy of the page that lists the order of difficulty for that level (the book costs around $50).

I would recommend that you finish the John Thompson book before getting into the RCM book. For supplemental material, you can check out Keith Snell's repertoire series. There are different books for different style periods, so select one that you like. I recommend looking at Preparatory Level or Level 1.

If you want something a bit different from the classical sound, Jeanine Yeager has a Fresh Impressions series that is made by the same publisher as Keith Snell. I really enjoy these pieces as they are musically sophisticated while not being too difficult to play. These books cost around $4-5 each.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2056768 - 03/30/13 10:10 AM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Michael_99]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
I did RCM on another instrument, and have the gr. 1 series for piano (never used it). RCM is organized as a package, and the repertoire is only one part of it. If you look at the RCM syllabus you'll see what kinds of things they expect a student to learn, via what the exams cover. There is technique, which might be things like learning to play legato and staccato and knowing certain key signatures, and there is also theory and ear training. There is a technique book with studies, scales, and exercises. It doesn't have explanations like method books, because they assume a teacher will plan the studies and flesh it all out.

Your repertoire book assumes that you are also learning the technique, and the repertoire is chosen in part to cover the technique being studied. If you combine that combination with a decent teacher then you have the best of all worlds.

#2056867 - 03/30/13 01:30 PM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Michael_99]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
One does not begin piano with RCM level 1. There's a Preparatory level. I'd look at that book instead of level 1.

#2056890 - 03/30/13 02:04 PM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: AZNpiano]
keystring Online   content

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
One does not begin piano with RCM level 1. There's a Preparatory level. I'd look at that book instead of level 1.

Yes, you are right. I started level 1 after around 3 months of rather intense work. Not piano, but it's got to be the same thing.

#2057275 - 03/31/13 09:24 AM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: Michael_99]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

#2057532 - 03/31/13 08:34 PM Re: Royal Consrvatory Q [Re: AZNpiano]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Also, the music is in the RCM books in chronological order and not in order of difficulty, so you wouldn't start with the first piece in the book. Unfortunately, you'd have to purchase the book or get a copy of the page that lists the order of difficulty for that level (the book costs around $50).

To add to that, there's a certain point where the things that I find difficult will be different from what you find difficult... and what everyone else finds difficult.
For example, one of my students is struggling with playing the different voices in a modern piece with a bunch of 'random' accidentals; he has a really good sense of tone but he struggles with the voices consistently. The last student who played this piece with me struggled with the accidentals.

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Well it depends on what material you've been doing before that. Only some of my students go through RCM's prep.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Today at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Your Favorite key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
Today at 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
Today at 01:35 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (anotherscott, BB Player, Barry1963, A Guy, 42 invisible), 1164 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158480 Topics
2327376 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission