Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2056721 - 03/30/13 08:11 AM Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them
cmajornine Offline

Anyone got "Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them" by Duane Shinn? or could recommend anything very similar (popular chord progressions,runs,riffs ect)

Peace

cmajornine

http://www.cmajornine.webspace.virginmedia.com/

Piano & Music Accessories
#2057728 - 04/01/13 10:45 AM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
RonL Offline

Don't know that particular book but there are tons of books of a similar nature, literally tons as in Andy Lavern's Ton's of Runs.

Are you interested in pop or jazz?

#2057749 - 04/01/13 11:38 AM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
If you learn harmony, you'll know how to create those runs by yourself and you'll be able to accurately analyze other musicians' riffs.

#2057809 - 04/01/13 02:11 PM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lemme guess.

~$200 ?

..and your MOTIVE for asking this is what ?

#2057899 - 04/01/13 04:29 PM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: R_B]
cmajornine Offline

Originally Posted By: RonL
Are you interested in pop or jazz?

Gospel mainly, and some Jazz harmony at present, I play piano at my mothers church and a lot of the accompaniment is progression based because the congregation will start singing Hymns in any key and you are expected to have the chords down pat by the chorus, I regularly practice chord progressions like 1-5,1-4,1-4-1-5-1, 2-5-1, around the circle of fifths or fourths in preparation and I would like to practice some runs or fills as I am going round to make the music more interesting. The title of the course seems to fit the bill.

Originally Posted By: Michael Martinez
If you learn harmony, you'll know how to create those runs by yourself and you'll be able to accurately analyze other musicians' riffs.

True, but I don't have the time, with a full time job + family I would prefer the stuff ready done.

Originally Posted By: R_B
Lemme guess.~$200 ?

..and your MOTIVE for asking this is what ?

With a hefty price tag of $197 plus postage I would like some kind of independent recommendation before committing my family to bread & water for the next month. Ah well decisions, decisions decisions. If I do decide to get it I will let you all know how I get on.

Duane's courses are expensive but some body must be buying them as he's still in business

cmajornine

http://www.cmajornine.webspace.virginmedia.com/

#2058262 - 04/02/13 11:18 AM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
RonL Offline

For gospel there are two books out there by Mark Harrision that I like - the Pop Piano book and the Gospel Piano book. does a nice job covering back cycling and the Richard Tee left hand style. There are mp3 files that are available for the Pop Piano book - I think you can get both for around 50 bucks...I like all of his books.

#2058275 - 04/02/13 11:44 AM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
RonL Offline

OH and check out gospelmusicians.com - I saw instructional stuff on there as well - but I have not actually used any of it.

#2058611 - 04/03/13 09:28 AM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
it's good somebody would take the time to write about this. I seldom just bang on a chord squarely. More often coming up with some arpegiation (if that's a word?) that fits within the framework. On one hand i think there can only be so much that fits. On the other, i'm sure there's probably tons of stuff i've never considered.

One would think there would be more discussion about cordal accompanyment, seeing how there's so many approaches.

#2097901 - 06/07/13 01:44 PM Re: Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them [Re: cmajornine]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
No, don't spend $200. The basic techniques are:

* anticipation of the beat. starting the run for the new harmony on the beat before the chord actually arrives
* knowing which tones to avoid for each harmony (chord)
* knowing certain tricks which *emphasize* harmony, like the leading tone or chromatic approach to the root or fifth
* knowing how to reharmonize in order to emphasize the tonality of the song in slightly different ways
* picking appropriate _target tone_: again, often the root or fifth

The trick to improvisation is to alternate between simple subset of the major scale. For example, you may start out on a pentatonic scale and then change into another simple scale in order to impart the new harmony. you're never using all seven tones of the key (or all 12 tone) for a single chord. you're using simple subsets, and changing them up.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (Badinage, AZNpiano, Anticlock, beet31425, 25 invisible), 907 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157172 Topics
2308408 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
08/31/14 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
08/31/14 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
08/30/14 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
08/30/14 09:10 PM
Frederick Historical Concert Season - Fall 2014
by Terrytunes
08/30/14 08:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission