Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2056892 - 03/30/13 02:06 PM I have been assigned a "Grade 10" Piece + warmup video
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
So my teacher assigned to me Debussy - Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum

and I just looked it up and in RCM it is or used to be a piece for the grade 10 exam.

I have had a few lessons on this piece and it's finally started to come along but it has far too many different problems for me. It requires many different techniques that I never before even thought about using and at each lesson my teacher has something new to show me.

I think it's a great choice for learning those techniques since there aren't too many actually difficult passages but wow it's a lot of work, more than any other piece I've encountered.

I realize I might not be able to really get it finished to the point where it sounds good at the appropriate tempo BUT I am so excited to work on my first piece which has virtuoso elements in it.

Also I am even more excited because my piano professor is finally able to talk to me and show me how to actually play music rather than play the notes only. She showed me so many ways to make the different passages sound the way they were intend to and her explanations and demonstrations were so beautifully done. I am lucky to be studying with such an accomplished pianist and without paying anything at all. (unless we consider the tuition of 130$ per semester, almost nothing and it includes all the other music classes I take which are a dozen per semester)

I got one more month with it then I have to move on to an entire Haydn Sonata for my final. I just came back to playing from a really long break, I was feeling down for 2 months and now I'm finally alright and I am beginning to make progress once more.

I've been getting back to playing scales, here is where I'm at right now if anyone is interested. Some mistakes here and there but I was just beginning my warmup. I don't really know for sure if I finally play them properly, I want to stop making mistakes like this before I show them to my teacher which will take while. But I think I am on the right path here. I did play them non-legato for a month before I moved to other articulations. I am also adding arpeggios but I didn't record them here.

Edited by Teodor (03/30/13 02:21 PM)

Recitals:

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2057047 - 03/30/13 07:21 PM Re: I have been assigned a "Grade 10" Piece + warmup video [Re: Teodor]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Teodor, congratulations on being assigned such an interesting piece. It has been a real pleasure to watch you grow musically these past 3 years.

How exciting to have such a good teacher -one who gets you to look at the music in new, and richer ways.

I'm glad you're feeling better after your low period.

I hope you'll let us hear the piece you're working on when you have it ready to perform!

#2057299 - 03/31/13 10:17 AM Re: I have been assigned a "Grade 10" Piece + warmup video [Re: Teodor]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Thank you. I had problems with my teacher for months since the beginning of this second year at the academy but it turns out that those are problems with me not with her personally. Once I started expressing what bothers me and what problems I have with learning the pieces she started taking time every lesson to patiently work through my issues. She has been most patient and she is grading my exams based on progress made (having in mind my own abilities) rather than the overall progress on the particular pieces.

I will post it recorded on a nice grand but maybe in a few months when I feel comfortable. Some parts are still difficult and those that are now easy are not performed very musically but I am getting there.

Edited by Teodor (03/31/13 10:18 AM)

Recitals:

#2057644 - 04/01/13 03:58 AM Re: I have been assigned a "Grade 10" Piece + warmup video [Re: Teodor]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Teodor
I am beginning to make progress
thumb

But especially

Originally Posted By: Teodor
now I'm finally alright

thumb thumb

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No use...
by alfredo capurso
10/24/14 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, 36251, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1329 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158475 Topics
2327345 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission