Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2057052 - 03/30/13 07:33 PM Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I'm really talking about largest and broadest repertoire that was actually performed in concert. So I wouldn't choose Leslie Howard, for example, because of his emphasis on Liszt and Romantic composers.

I would choose Richter. He played large chunks of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Debussy, Ravel, Scriabin, etc.

The figures compiled in the Monsingeon book on Richter are almost impossible to believe: 833 works(a work being anything from a single Rachmaninov Prelude to the Beethoven Diabelli Variations to a Concerto but not including around 600 songs), 3600 concerts in 1000 different places(hard to believe that?). There were years where Richter played over 200 works with 20 of them new to his repertoire He gave 851 concerts in Moscow alone.

Other candidates?

Edited by pianoloverus (03/30/13 08:25 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2057053 - 03/30/13 07:34 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Gerald Moore.

#2057062 - 03/30/13 08:01 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: BDB]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: BDB
Gerald Moore.
thumb

#2057070 - 03/30/13 08:13 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I'd vote for Daniel Barenboim.

Not only has he played (and recorded) Bach's WTC, he's also played Boulez and conducted Schoenberg, Mahler, Bruckner as well as Boulez. Not to mention Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen and Mozart's operas.

Oh, and he also plays the old warhorses like Chopin, Schumann, Brahms and Tchaikovsky concertos. As well as all the Mozart and Beethoven ones. And all their piano sonatas. And.......

#2057071 - 03/30/13 08:20 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
evilpacman18 Offline

Loc: Glendora, CA
I think it's pretty obviously Hamelin.

#2057073 - 03/30/13 08:24 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

J. Lawrence Cooke also had quite a repertoire.

#2057074 - 03/30/13 08:27 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: BDB]

Gerald Moore.
I'm assuming this is because each song counts as a piece but remember the figure i gave for Richter didn't include the about 600 songs he accompanied. So, including songs, Richter would have a total of 1433 pieces.

#2057080 - 03/30/13 08:47 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: BDB]
argerichfan Online   sick
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Gerald Moore.

Hmmm... no.

Moore is best known for the sheer amount of songs he accompanied, but that does not necessarily mean he had the largest repertoire. I would think that honour would go to Michael Raucheisen.

This guy had a working knowledge of German Lieder which far surpassed Moore. He played for many great singers- Hans Hotter, Frida Leider, Erna Berger, Karl Erb, and the great Schwartzkopf.

Raucheisen, in addition to playing the usual fare, went deeply into the lieder of Pfitzner, Marschner, and Loewe (another easy 500 examples), which Moore only tangentially sampled.

Nothing against Moore of course -a great inspirational hero of mine, and a man I would have loved to have met and share a brew with- but he did not have quite the wide range of Raucheisen.

Oddly enough, in Moore's highly readable autobio, he makes no reference to Raucheisen, but he certainly worked most of those same singers.

#2057083 - 03/30/13 08:55 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]

For clarity's sake this thread was not for pianists who play popular music, pianists who are primarily accompanists, or non piano works in this discussion.

#2057084 - 03/30/13 08:57 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

Or pianists whose first name is not Sviatoslav. That makes it much simpler.

#2057085 - 03/30/13 08:59 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
John Ogdon's repertoire was unbelievably large. Reading his biography, it is quite astonishing what all he actually played.

#2057091 - 03/30/13 09:12 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
For clarity's sake this thread was not for pianists who play popular music, pianists who are primarily accompanists, or non piano works in this discussion.

That is what I thought too, but since BDB brought up Moore -which was clearly incorrect- I thought it was worth a response.

Otherwise, I have no idea about solo pianists, nor it is particularly important to me. Who cares who can play the most stuff?

#2057097 - 03/30/13 09:25 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Orange Soda King]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
John Ogdon's repertoire was unbelievably large. Reading his biography, it is quite astonishing what all he actually played.

The sheer amount of British concertos he played, astonishing for any pianist.

#2057106 - 03/30/13 09:50 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: argerichfan]

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

That is what I thought too, but since BDB brought up Moore -which was clearly incorrect- I thought it was worth a response.

Otherwise, I have no idea about solo pianists, nor it is particularly important to me. Who cares who can play the most stuff?
The size of pianist's repertoire is not an uncommon question. Obviously, at least one person cares just because it's interesting if not particularly important.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/30/13 09:52 PM)

#2057120 - 03/30/13 10:21 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Online   content

Well, the question went from "Other candidates?" to something else which is much less interesting.

#2057138 - 03/30/13 11:09 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
My piano teacher, who is a Horowitz fanatic, claimed that Horowitz had a working repertoire of over 800 pieces. Don't know how true this is.

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasileiras #4
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2057158 - 03/31/13 12:45 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Brad Hoehne]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
My piano teacher, who is a Horowitz fanatic, claimed that Horowitz had a working repertoire of over 800 pieces. Don't know how true this is.

While this may be true, I believe, from all accounts I've read, that what he chose to perform throughout his career was much narrower.

#2057168 - 03/31/13 01:53 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Olivero Offline

Loc: WA
In Barenboim's view, it was the great Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau who had "probably the widest repertoire of any pianist, past or present." Certainly it was wider than most of his peers. Writing in A Life in Music, Barenboim argues that Arrau not only was at home with a vast range of composers and periods (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Albeniz, Busoni, Reger, Schoenberg) but that he also had an extraordinary mastery of these diverse styles, and the ability to channel his virtuoso technique in a way that allowed him to carry them all off persuasively and idiomatically. In part Barenboim attributes this pianistic breadth to Arrau's equally wide-ranging interests beyond the piano: literature, philosophy, opera, art, history, anthropology, dance, psychology. These varied interests, intensely pursued over his entire career, fed his musical sensibilities and gave his performances their uniquely powerful combination of intelligence and imagination.

#2057201 - 03/31/13 04:43 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: argerichfan]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Who cares who can play the most stuff?

The author of this thread, apparently.

#2057263 - 03/31/13 08:57 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: theJourney]

Originally Posted By: theJourney
Who cares who can play the most stuff?

The author of this thread, apparently.
And Daniel Barenboim apparently. Many pianist biographies also list the pianist's repertoire at the end to the book.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/31/13 09:03 AM)

#2057304 - 03/31/13 10:41 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Derulux]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux

While this may be true, I believe, from all accounts I've read, that what he chose to perform throughout his career was much narrower.

I'm too lazy to count the number of works in this list, but it seems pretty diverse. Definitely not in the 800 range though:

http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_12_Repertoire.html

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12

#2057311 - 03/31/13 11:18 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: evilpacman18]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: evilpacman18
I think it's pretty obviously Hamelin.

His recording repertoire is extremely large, but you only get bits and pieces of it in his performing repertoire, and understandably, he often plays his own compositions. I think the encyclopedic nature of his discography is kind of at odds with what he really wants to do as a musician.

#2057315 - 03/31/13 11:25 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Brad Hoehne]

I'm too lazy to count the number of works in this list, but it seems pretty diverse. Definitely not in the 800 range though:
http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_12_Repertoire.html

This is quite interesting because my impression is that this list has a lot of works Horowitz played before 1940 or 1950 that he rarely played later in his career.

#2057318 - 03/31/13 11:31 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
ronde des sylphes Offline

Loc: Scotland
I don't know how much of his vast recording repertoire he actually performed, but Michael Ponti might be worth a mention.

#2057329 - 03/31/13 12:06 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would like to nominate my teacher. He's performed or recorded over 100 concerti and recorded all the Beethoven sonatas and a huge chunk of chamber music.

#2057360 - 03/31/13 01:07 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: GeorgeB]

Originally Posted By: GeorgeB
I would like to nominate my teacher. He's performed or recorded over 100 concerti and recorded all the Beethoven sonatas and a huge chunk of chamber music.
Who is he? 100 concerti seems astronomical!

#2057373 - 03/31/13 01:43 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC

Are there "over 100" (piano) concerti that would have been performed and/or recorded? Would this not have to include some pretty obscure works? Where would one find the orchestra - or even the scores - for such obscure works?

What am I missing in this "over 100" list?

Regards,

#2057405 - 03/31/13 03:02 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: BruceD]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD

Are there "over 100" (piano) concerti that would have been performed and/or recorded? Would this not have to include some pretty obscure works? Where would one find the orchestra - or even the scores - for such obscure works?

What am I missing in this "over 100" list?

Regards,

Well, off the top of my head here is my guess as to what concertos are "commonly" played:

Mozart ~20 are commonly played
5 Beethoven
2 Chopin
2 Brahms
5 Prokofiev
3 Rachmaninov
2 Liszt
1 Grieg
1 Macdowell
1 Glazunov
1 Schumann
4 or so of the Haydn concertos
~10 J.S. Bach concertos of various sorts
3 C.P.E. Bach
2 Tchaikovsky
1 Lutoslawski
2 Ravel
1 Dvorak
Total: 66

Am I missing any?

Edited by Brad Hoehne (03/31/13 03:03 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12

#2057428 - 03/31/13 03:36 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You've left out quite a bit of common repertoire I can think of; Mendelssohn for one. There are easily orchestras for at least 100 concertos.

Maybe GeorgeB would like to ask his teacher and list them for us? wink

Polyphonist

#2057432 - 03/31/13 03:49 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

In that I used to call him every year on his birthday, I list the link to Earl Wild's website. Click on the the three page discography, if you want some idea of the amount of repertoire the man recorded.

It doesn't include a lot of pieces that he played in concert, such as the Schumann Concerto, which he didn't record. The man lived to be 93 years old and was concertizing from the age of 13.

He played it all! And, that includeds many of his own compositions/transcriptions.

Further, he played a wide spectrum of repertoire his entire career unlike others listed here who specialized in only certain composers late in life.

http://earlwild.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
173 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 54 invisible), 1390 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157091 Topics
2306972 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
20 minutes 39 seconds ago
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission