Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2057487 - 03/31/13 05:59 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Polyphonist]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
You've left out quite a bit of common repertoire I can think of; Mendelssohn for one. There are easily orchestras for at least 100 concertos.

Maybe GeorgeB would like to ask his teacher and list them for us? wink

He's got them on his website. Very impressive though several of them are extremely obscure.

If I wanted to disclose who/where I study with I would have said it in my first post.

Edited by GeorgeB (03/31/13 06:04 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2057516 - 03/31/13 08:00 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Olivero]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Olivero
In Barenboim's view, it was the great Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau who had "probably the widest repertoire of any pianist, past or present."

I think you are correct, at least from what I have read. (Sorry I didn't get on this last night, I had to play an Easter service on the organ at moment's notice.)

The one composer conspicuously missing from Arrau's repertoire is Rachmaninov. I'm sure he must have dabbled in his music at some point, yet in later life he could only say 'Rachmaninov writes for the public'.

Well that seems a bit unfair, if I may so so. I think Arrau could have given us the most noble recording of R's 2nd Concerto, he would have elevated it to Brahms territory, and made us hear it differently than anyone before or since.

#2057523 - 03/31/13 08:12 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: argerichfan]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
I think Arrau could have given us the most noble recording of R's 2nd Concerto, he would have elevated it to Brahms territory, and made us hear it differently than anyone before or since.

That's what I'd be afraid of, if Arrau did play Rachmaninov.

His Chopin - especially the concertante works - are really something of an acquired taste. I think he forgot that Chopin lived most of his life in France, not Germany.......

#2057530 - 03/31/13 08:29 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

Are there "over 100" (piano) concerti that would have been performed and/or recorded? Would this not have to include some pretty obscure works? Where would one find the orchestra - or even the scores - for such obscure works?

What am I missing in this "over 100" list?

I don't know how they dig up the scores, but Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto series has already gone past the one hundred mark and shows no sign of stopping. And, it's a restricted subset of concertos. There are, I would imagine, at least as many written both before and, especially, after the Romantic era, and many of pretty decent quality.

By the way, another pianist with a vast repertoire is Garrick Ohlsson - he has played far more than just what has appeared on recordings. For example, I remember that he did a Busoni survey that stretched over three solo recitals, but I don't think any recordings of solo Busoni from him have been released.

#2057533 - 03/31/13 08:37 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: bennevis]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Why do you say that, my friend?

Quote:
His Chopin - especially the concertante works - are really something of an acquired taste.

Well, perhaps, he might have left Chopin well enough alone. I have never warmed to the concertos, nor anything else of Chopin. His Bb minor Prelude confronts the difficulties with a stoic resolve, no bluster and smear, but also no kinetic energy on the level of an Argerich.

#2057544 - 03/31/13 08:59 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: argerichfan]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Why do you say that, my friend?

Rachmaninov has his moments of grandeur but also lots of filigree writing, which I don't think suits Arrau (judging by his Feux follets and Chopin). So, on balance, the moments of appropriate gravitas that he might bring to Rach's Big Tunes, will likely not compensate for inappropriate heaviness elsewhere.

#2057550 - 03/31/13 09:27 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
En fin, mes amis, all your top performers have to be able to play everything in the book. Not only that, they have to learn some things overnight. In fact, I believe that's part of the Cliburn competition - they give you something new and you have to set yourself down and read it cold...

#2057557 - 03/31/13 09:46 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
In their prime/early years, I'd argue Rubinstein (Anton), Josef Hoffman, and Horowitz.
Recently, my insane friend Mei-ting has performed the complete works of Chopin, all the Beethoven sonatas (including the violin and cello), and complete Brahms (solo and chamber) eek

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2057563 - 03/31/13 10:01 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Auntie Lynn]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Auntie Lynn
En fin, mes amis, all your top performers have to be able to play everything in the book. Not only that, they have to learn some things overnight.

Ah yes, Auntie, did it this morning, played a church service with about 12 hours notice. Spent most of it practising, sorry to boast, but this was BIG for me and put me on the substitute circuit.

Sometimes you cannot look back, there is no time, and everything needs to be attacked as if your life depended upon it.

#2057574 - 03/31/13 10:33 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne
I'm too lazy to count the number of works in this list, but it seems pretty diverse. Definitely not in the 800 range though:
http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_12_Repertoire.html

This is quite interesting because my impression is that this list has a lot of works Horowitz played before 1940 or 1950 that he rarely played later in his career.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the list yet, but I would have guessed this straightaway. Many critics' accounts that I've read indicated that he chose to play the same composers and the same pieces far more frequently in his 'mature' career.

#2057664 - 04/01/13 07:18 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Gomtorus Offline

To my knowledge, Richter didn't completely memorise music but played it from the score, so that might explain his large repertoire.

#2057683 - 04/01/13 08:27 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Gomtorus]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Gomtorus
To my knowledge, Richter didn't completely memorise music but played it from the score, so that might explain his large repertoire.
That was only near the very end of his career.

#2057731 - 04/01/13 10:54 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Other candidates?

Biret ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2057735 - 04/01/13 11:07 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One that hasn't been mentioned is Grant Johannesen. Frankly, I don't know how large his entire repertoire is, but I always admired his predilection for programming and recording lesser-known but still high-quality piano repertoire, such as that of Chabrier and de Severac.

#2057743 - 04/01/13 11:28 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: argerichfan]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Auntie Lynn
En fin, mes amis, all your top performers have to be able to play everything in the book. Not only that, they have to learn some things overnight.

Ah yes, Auntie, did it this morning, played a church service with about 12 hours notice. Spent most of it practising, sorry to boast, but this was BIG for me and put me on the substitute circuit.

Sometimes you cannot look back, there is no time, and everything needs to be attacked as if your life depended upon it.

Congratulations! That is super, Jason!! It sounds as though this may lead to other opportunities for you- hope so!

Sophia

#2058018 - 04/01/13 08:18 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: sophial]
ronde des sylphes Offline

Loc: Scotland

#2058065 - 04/01/13 10:16 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
One that hasn't been mentioned is Grant Johannesen. Frankly, I don't know how large his entire repertoire is, but I always admired his predilection for programming and recording lesser-known but still high-quality piano repertoire, such as that of Chabrier and de Severac.

Funny you should mention Johannesen. I had the opportunity to play for him in 1976 (briefly) when he was a guest artist at the University of Nebraska. I recall I performed excerpts from the Symphonic Etudes - and he provided helpful suggestions. Very nice gentleman - and a wonderful pianist. He was known as an interpreter of French piano music and I understand he recorded the complete solo piano works of Gabriel Fauré.

#2058066 - 04/01/13 10:22 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: sophial]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Ah yes, Auntie, did it this morning, played a church service with about 12 hours notice. Spent most of it practising, sorry to boast, but this was BIG for me and put me on the substitute circuit. Sometimes you cannot look back, there is no time, and everything needs to be attacked as if your life depended upon it.

Now that you're on the substitute circuit - you're going to be very very busy !!! Great news - Congrats !! thumb

#2058105 - 04/02/13 12:09 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: GeorgeB]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GeorgeB
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
You've left out quite a bit of common repertoire I can think of; Mendelssohn for one. There are easily orchestras for at least 100 concertos.

Maybe GeorgeB would like to ask his teacher and list them for us? wink

He's got them on his website. Very impressive though several of them are extremely obscure.

If I wanted to disclose who/where I study with I would have said it in my first post.

Seems a little shady, if you ask me. Why would you tell us about your amazing teacher and then refuse to disclose who he/she is? Wouldn't you be proud to study with someone who supposedly has such a huge performance repertoire?

Polyphonist

#2058136 - 04/02/13 03:01 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: ronde des sylphes]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: ronde des sylphes

#2058161 - 04/02/13 06:08 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Bobpickle]

I'm sure I read somewhere that Grant Johannesen learnt a piano/orchestra version of the Beethoven violin concerto at a day's notice as an emergency stand-in.

#2058174 - 04/02/13 07:29 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: ronde des sylphes]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ronde -- actually, I remember that event -- and, you're close, but no cigar! The pianist in question was Gunnar Johansen, a Danish pianist and student of Busoni, who was both professor of piano and artist-in-residence at the University of Wisconsin, here in Madison. In addition to pulling that off (I believe with Ormandy and the Philadephia Orchestra), he recorded ALL the piano music of Bach and Busoni, in some cases using a special two-manual piano that he himself directed to be built. Very well could be a candidate for the largest performing repertoire, now that I think about it.

#2058405 - 04/02/13 06:03 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Tim Adrianson]

ronde -- actually, I remember that event -- and, you're close, but no cigar! The pianist in question was Gunnar Johansen, a Danish pianist and student of Busoni, who was both professor of piano and artist-in-residence at the University of Wisconsin, here in Madison.

Ah, thanks for the correction. My memory was a little sketchy!

#2058560 - 04/03/13 06:07 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

ronde -- actually, I remember that event -- and, you're close, but no cigar! The pianist in question was Gunnar Johansen, a Danish pianist and student of Busoni, who was both professor of piano and artist-in-residence at the University of Wisconsin, here in Madison. In addition to pulling that off (I believe with Ormandy and the Philadephia Orchestra), he recorded ALL the piano music of Bach and Busoni, in some cases using a special two-manual piano that he himself directed to be built. Very well could be a candidate for the largest performing repertoire, now that I think about it.

He also recorded 53 LPs worth of Liszt.

#2058577 - 04/03/13 07:47 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianojosh23]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianojosh23

He also recorded 53 LPs worth of Liszt.

And the complete works of Ignaz Friedman, as well as 20 cassettes of his own compositions. Amazing guy.

#2061845 - 04/09/13 11:44 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
jawhitti Offline

Sarah Davis Buechner is touring with a repertoire of like 100 pieces.

#2061893 - 04/09/13 12:42 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Of course, after a while a thread usually veers somewhat off topic. But please note in my OP I specified PERFORMING repertoire(not recorded repertoire)and more importantly was interested in pianists who had the BROADEST(widest range of composers and musical periods).

Some of the pianists mentioned may well rival or surpass Richter in these areas, but OTOH some of the pianists mentioned are very limited in either the breadth of their repertoire or have probably not performed much of their recorded rep in concert.

#2061976 - 04/09/13 02:37 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Kuanpiano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Though he only dabbled in the more "modern" music a bit, Pollini seems to have consistently played all periods pretty well.

(except for his Liszt sonata, yuck !(IMO))
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2062026 - 04/09/13 03:57 PM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Going to go out on a limb here, as the basis for this answer is just what I read in Amy Fay's memoir, but I believe Franz Liszt is the answer.

#2062328 - 04/10/13 08:46 AM Re: Which pianist had the largest performing repertoire? [Re: pianoloverus]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
...please note in my OP I specified PERFORMING repertoire(not recorded repertoire)and more importantly was interested in pianists who had the BROADEST(widest range of composers and musical periods).

Some of the pianists mentioned may well rival or surpass Richter in these areas, but OTOH some of the pianists mentioned are very limited in either the breadth of their repertoire or have probably not performed much of their recorded rep in concert.

That's an important distinction. For example, Rubinstein recorded most of Chopin's works except the Etudes - including three sets of Nocturnes, Mazurkas, and Waltzes. But from the concert programs I've reviewed, he only played a selected few in public. But he also played several Etudes which were never recorded.

I think what we'd need is a series of databases that list various pianists and their programs. I only know of a few, such as this (http://gmlile.com/rachdiary/index.aspx) and this (http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_4_Concertography.html).

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1610 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156295 Topics
2295390 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission