2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
An interesting approach to this Impromptu, Entheo. In many Schubert piano pieces, I've always found it very difficult to establish a satisfying pace. Too slow, and it feels endless; too fast, and it feels rushed and forced. For this particular Impromptu, Section A has for me more of a "dance" feel than a "hymn" feel -- but, having said that, his highly dramatic development of the first statement implies, I must admit, more of the hymn than the dance -- and that aspect you project very well.

I'm not persuaded much by your approach to the "B" section. First off, I think you're using too much pedal throughout this section; but secondly (and more importantly), I hear much more lyricism and less virtuosity than what you're projecting in this performance. I agree that there is a "storm" quality to this section -- but I'd be inclined to emphasize the singing line, which IMO is quite especially beautiful; really the high point of the Impromptu for me.

My only comment on the re-statement of Section "A" is that I would deliberately pick and choose a few details to project differently than the first time around. The reason I say that is that the section is really quite long (again, pace!), and with your approach, I think we have time to savor some subtle changes in the dramatic arch.

Having said all of this, I still found your performance solid and satisfying -- thanks for sharing this!

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thanks for the great feedback, tim. i do hear section A as more hymn-like than dance like, and don't like section B too fast, but you're right, i'm beating the heck out of B.

now if only i can implement your suggestions (silk purse out with sow's hands and all smile )

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
re-recorded the latest gurdjieff/de hartmann with my new mics, and having some fun with windoz movie maker. let me know what you think...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Entheo,
Beautiful piece of music expressed through your interpretation.

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
"I call on Thee, Lord"

In memory of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Took me a lot longer to work up than it did for Valentina Lisitsa who, by complete coincidence, chose the same piece as I did.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Entheo, for me, the Persian Song is reminiscent of Satie's "Gnossiennes" -- the same static rhythmic pulse throughout, the odd shifts in harmonic modulation at various junctures. If I recall, Gnossiennes was early Satie, when he was deep into his Rosicrucian mystical phase. Were Gurdjieff/de Hartmann part of that same mode of thinking?

As regards the appended commentary, I can offer a very pronounced, definite "Huh?". Hopefully, you didn't destroy large parts of Chicago by channeling too deeply into the objective art while performing this!

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Entheo, for me, the Persian Song is reminiscent of Satie's "Gnossiennes" -- the same static rhythmic pulse throughout, the odd shifts in harmonic modulation at various junctures. If I recall, Gnossiennes was early Satie, when he was deep into his Rosicrucian mystical phase. Were Gurdjieff/de Hartmann part of that same mode of thinking?

As regards the appended commentary, I can offer a very pronounced, definite "Huh?". Hopefully, you didn't destroy large parts of Chicago by channeling too deeply into the objective art while performing this!

tim, i don't recall ever coming across specific references to the rosicrucians in my gurdjieffian studies, but plenty of references to gnostic christianity so quite likely a connection there.

many of gurdjieff's writings & talks represent a sufi/'nasrudin' perspective designed to disrupt the mechanical flow of life and bring about 'huh?' moments (vs. 'aha' moments).

however, i can assure you chicago remains largely intact in spite of my best efforts to throw monkey wrenches into the machine. smile

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
there's just something about Bach that cleanses the soul. my latest attempt...

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Wow, Entheo, do you play Bach well! Clear as a bell throughout. I'd love to hear your interpretation of the entire Partita. Thanks for sharing this!

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, Entheo, do you play Bach well! Clear as a bell throughout. I'd love to hear your interpretation of the entire Partita. Thanks for sharing this!

thanks so much tim! yeah, i'd like to hear my interpretation of the entire partita too wink

i am going to work on the subsequent capriccio next and hopefully hook them together. i believe martha argerich played them together on one of her earlier albums, albeit at a slightly faster tempo eek

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
just in time for spring; hope you will enjoy...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So..... grin I'm guessing you saw the Standchen stuff on the other thread? smile

Listening to the beginning....I don't think I've ever heard the staccatos interpreted that way, how you do it in the intro. I sure wouldn't; I don't think it sets up much of a "serenade," more of a haunting threat. ha
But you're conveying a clear take, a clear point of view, which many things don't, and it's interesting, plus, while you don't continue that accompaniment figure in the same way, the way you play the melody is in line with the feel of that intro.

BTW nice pic up there. grin

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Did you really intend to have such a strong accent on the second and third beats in the opening measures? It does indeed sound strange, and I wonder how you would justify it, musically.

How do the last two macabre images fit in with the celebration of Spring or with the text of Schubert's "Ständchen"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

DITTO !!!!!

And I believe this is the first time I've heard your new Yamaha C7. Beautiful tone !!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by BruceD
Did you really intend to have such a strong accent on the second and third beats in the opening measures? It does indeed sound strange....

It's not just the accents but also the extreme shortness of the staccatos. They add up to a very jagged feel.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Entheo
just in time for spring; hope you will enjoy...

"Spring" with a little "Day of the Dead" thrown in at the end. Excellent choice for the final image, however !!!!! grin

I know - and appreciate - how much work goes into putting together a video such as this - and you certainly made this one interesting from a visual standpoint !!!

I enjoyed your uniquely personal (and obviously heartfelt) rendition - but agree with Mark and Bruce regarding your unusual approach to the opening measures.

The Yamaha sounds good !!

Keep 'em coming Ed !!!!!!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
thanks for your comments. no, i haven't seen any other threads on standchen, so i'm afraid i don't have a frame of reference for those. i did experiment a LOT with the accompaniment, and for some reason separating the first four measure as such just ended up appealing to me. i've heard other recordings with the left hand quite staccato, but it's usually carried forward, but not always, or it's varied. horowitz's recording is quite enigmatic and beautiful, so what i took from his interpretation was to find an interpretation that appealed to me. it may not be anyone else's cup of tea, and that's okay; i'm actually more pleased with this piece than most of my other attempts. it is, after all, all grist for the mill.

regarding the "macabre images" -- in many latin american countries (notably mexico) they celebrate El Día de los Muertos, of which those paintings are representational. it's a celebration of love and remembrance; nothing macabre about it at all; in fact quite beautiful -- i've been to numerous dia de los muertos exhibits and they radiate with love. serenades can be to the departed as well.

cheers.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Entheo

regarding the "macabre images" -- in many latin american countries (notably mexico) they celebrate El Día de los Muertos, of which those paintings are representational. it's a celebration of love and remembrance; nothing macabre about it at all; in fact quite beautiful -- i've been to numerous dia de los muertos exhibits and they radiate with love. serenades can be to the departed as well.

I figured that was your rationale. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've accompanied this sonata (which reminds me of a sketch) with a slide show of Leonardo da Vinci's drawings (with one notable exception). Although they were born 233 years and 320 miles apart, I daresay that Scarlatti shared da Vinci's "unquenchable curiosity" and "feverishly inventive imagination". Hope you will enjoy...

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
my youtube channel has developed a nice little worldwide audience of gurdjieff/de hartmann music fans. here's my latest...

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission