2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by Brad Hoehne
My piano teacher, who is a Horowitz fanatic, claimed that Horowitz had a working repertoire of over 800 pieces. Don't know how true this is.

While this may be true, I believe, from all accounts I've read, that what he chose to perform throughout his career was much narrower.

I'm too lazy to count the number of works in this list, but it seems pretty diverse. Definitely not in the 800 range though:

http://vladimirhorowitz.hostzi.com/1_12_Repertoire.html

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by evilpacman18
I think it's pretty obviously Hamelin.

His recording repertoire is extremely large, but you only get bits and pieces of it in his performing repertoire, and understandably, he often plays his own compositions. I think the encyclopedic nature of his discography is kind of at odds with what he really wants to do as a musician.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
I'm too lazy to count the number of works in this list, but it seems pretty diverse. Definitely not in the 800 range though:

This is quite interesting because my impression is that this list has a lot of works Horowitz played before 1940 or 1950 that he rarely played later in his career.

R
R
I don't know how much of his vast recording repertoire he actually performed, but Michael Ponti might be worth a mention.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would like to nominate my teacher. He's performed or recorded over 100 concerti and recorded all the Beethoven sonatas and a huge chunk of chamber music.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by GeorgeB
I would like to nominate my teacher. He's performed or recorded over 100 concerti and recorded all the Beethoven sonatas and a huge chunk of chamber music.
Who is he? 100 concerti seems astronomical!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Are there "over 100" (piano) concerti that would have been performed and/or recorded? Would this not have to include some pretty obscure works? Where would one find the orchestra - or even the scores - for such obscure works?

What am I missing in this "over 100" list?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD

Are there "over 100" (piano) concerti that would have been performed and/or recorded? Would this not have to include some pretty obscure works? Where would one find the orchestra - or even the scores - for such obscure works?

Regards,

Well, off the top of my head here is my guess as to what concertos are "commonly" played:

Mozart ~20 are commonly played
5 Beethoven
2 Chopin
2 Brahms
5 Prokofiev
3 Rachmaninov
2 Liszt
1 Grieg
1 Macdowell
1 Glazunov
1 Schumann
4 or so of the Haydn concertos
~10 J.S. Bach concertos of various sorts
3 C.P.E. Bach
2 Tchaikovsky
1 Lutoslawski
2 Ravel
1 Dvorak
Total: 66

Am I missing any?

Last edited by Brad Hoehne; 03/31/13 03:03 PM.

1999 Petrof 125-111 (upright)
Casio Privia PX-330

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude op 25 #2 and op 10 #5
Schubert Op 90 #2, #3
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You've left out quite a bit of common repertoire I can think of; Mendelssohn for one. There are easily orchestras for at least 100 concertos.

Maybe GeorgeB would like to ask his teacher and list them for us? wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
In that I used to call him every year on his birthday, I list the link to Earl Wild's website. Click on the the three page discography, if you want some idea of the amount of repertoire the man recorded.

It doesn't include a lot of pieces that he played in concert, such as the Schumann Concerto, which he didn't record. The man lived to be 93 years old and was concertizing from the age of 13.

He played it all! And, that includeds many of his own compositions/transcriptions.

Further, he played a wide spectrum of repertoire his entire career unlike others listed here who specialized in only certain composers late in life.

http://earlwild.com/

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
You've left out quite a bit of common repertoire I can think of; Mendelssohn for one. There are easily orchestras for at least 100 concertos.

Maybe GeorgeB would like to ask his teacher and list them for us? wink

He's got them on his website. Very impressive though several of them are extremely obscure.

If I wanted to disclose who/where I study with I would have said it in my first post.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 03/31/13 06:04 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Olivero
In Barenboim's view, it was the great Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau who had "probably the widest repertoire of any pianist, past or present."

I think you are correct, at least from what I have read. (Sorry I didn't get on this last night, I had to play an Easter service on the organ at moment's notice.)

The one composer conspicuously missing from Arrau's repertoire is Rachmaninov. I'm sure he must have dabbled in his music at some point, yet in later life he could only say 'Rachmaninov writes for the public'.

Well that seems a bit unfair, if I may so so. I think Arrau could have given us the most noble recording of R's 2nd Concerto, he would have elevated it to Brahms territory, and made us hear it differently than anyone before or since.

Jason
B
B
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I think Arrau could have given us the most noble recording of R's 2nd Concerto, he would have elevated it to Brahms territory, and made us hear it differently than anyone before or since.

That's what I'd be afraid of, if Arrau did play Rachmaninov.

His Chopin - especially the concertante works - are really something of an acquired taste. I think he forgot that Chopin lived most of his life in France, not Germany.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

I don't know how they dig up the scores, but Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto series has already gone past the one hundred mark and shows no sign of stopping. And, it's a restricted subset of concertos. There are, I would imagine, at least as many written both before and, especially, after the Romantic era, and many of pretty decent quality.

By the way, another pianist with a vast repertoire is Garrick Ohlsson - he has played far more than just what has appeared on recordings. For example, I remember that he did a Busoni survey that stretched over three solo recitals, but I don't think any recordings of solo Busoni from him have been released.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

Why do you say that, my friend?

His Chopin - especially the concertante works - are really something of an acquired taste.

Well, perhaps, he might have left Chopin well enough alone. I have never warmed to the concertos, nor anything else of Chopin. His Bb minor Prelude confronts the difficulties with a stoic resolve, no bluster and smear, but also no kinetic energy on the level of an Argerich.

Jason
B
B
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by bennevis

Why do you say that, my friend?

Rachmaninov has his moments of grandeur but also lots of filigree writing, which I don't think suits Arrau (judging by his Feux follets and Chopin). So, on balance, the moments of appropriate gravitas that he might bring to Rach's Big Tunes, will likely not compensate for inappropriate heaviness elsewhere.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
En fin, mes amis, all your top performers have to be able to play everything in the book. Not only that, they have to learn some things overnight. In fact, I believe that's part of the Cliburn competition - they give you something new and you have to set yourself down and read it cold...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In their prime/early years, I'd argue Rubinstein (Anton), Josef Hoffman, and Horowitz.
Recently, my insane friend Mei-ting has performed the complete works of Chopin, all the Beethoven sonatas (including the violin and cello), and complete Brahms (solo and chamber) eek

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Auntie Lynn
En fin, mes amis, all your top performers have to be able to play everything in the book. Not only that, they have to learn some things overnight.

Ah yes, Auntie, did it this morning, played a church service with about 12 hours notice. Spent most of it practising, sorry to boast, but this was BIG for me and put me on the substitute circuit.

Sometimes you cannot look back, there is no time, and everything needs to be attacked as if your life depended upon it.

Jason
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

This is quite interesting because my impression is that this list has a lot of works Horowitz played before 1940 or 1950 that he rarely played later in his career.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the list yet, but I would have guessed this straightaway. Many critics' accounts that I've read indicated that he chose to play the same composers and the same pieces far more frequently in his 'mature' career.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission