Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2057060 - 03/30/13 07:54 PM What pieces are easier to play fast than slow?
evilpacman18 Offline

Loc: Glendora, CA
My answer (and the inspiration for this thread) is Mouvement by Debussy, my performance tempo for it is around 110 for the quarter note usually, I've been playing it for a while and it's pretty natural to me at this point but I'm sort of relearning it for a performance in a couple weeks and I've noticed that it gets much harder to keep even and loose when I lower the metronome to 80. Suddenly all the little things in it require much more control where you can sort of breeze through them at a faster tempo.

Anybody have similar experiences with other pieces?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2057063 - 03/30/13 08:01 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Spacetone Offline

Loc: CA
Interesting you ask this. My first teacher began teaching pieces that were to be played softly and gracefully. She would tell me anyone could easily learn to smash the keys around but it took more control and concentration to be able to be gentle and expressive. To this day I agree! One of the pieces she gave me for this sort of training, which I think can answer your question, is Schumann's About Strangelands and People. It's a beautiful piece. She wanted me to make it sound sorta like a lullaby. I hope that answers your question, somewhat.

Edited by Spacetone (03/30/13 08:02 PM)

#2057077 - 03/30/13 08:31 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
It would be nice if the movements and haptic sensations required for fast playing were the same as those needed for slow playing of the same figures. Unfortunately, at least for me, this is mostly untrue. A fast version is rarely just a speeded up version of the slow movements. Coupled with that, the musical effects can be radically different, especially with regard to rhythm. So personally I find this question rather complicated, with no clear-cut universal approach available. The short answer to the original question is yes, I do find certain things easier at speed, but it might be because I use entirely different movements in the two states, the slow musical effect is no good, or I just perceive the fast sound as superior and imagine I am doing better at speed than I actually am.

#2057086 - 03/30/13 09:03 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
A lot of very slow, sustained repertoire is difficult to play well slowly. Ravel Concerto in G 2nd movement, for example.

#2057194 - 03/31/13 04:26 AM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
slipperykeys Online   blank

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: evilpacman18

Anybody have similar experiences with other pieces?

Yes, I have, with virtually everything.

There is a sub-question to this and it's this, "How well do you actually know the piece concerned?"

Quite often speeded up playing is a result of coasting on muscle memory rather than having actually learned the piece of music.

Please believe me, I not trying to be rude here, just offereing my 40 plus years experience and even now, I still don't remember genuine sheet music, just "patterns for my hands".

I recently discovered this superb web-site, and I note the importance this lady gives to SLOW practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__SiXXnaYOY

It was like a light going on, of course, speed on the piano isn't always a reflection of competancy, it is simply mechanical in a lot of respects.

I am learning Puccini's "O Mio Babbino Caro", a piece tragically laden with left-hand arpeggios and it is quite obvious to me (now) how much quicker I play page 1, (commited to memory of some sort) compared to the less well know by myself pages 2 and 3 that I am still trying to learn "off by heart".

I am now setting aside a part of each practice session for slow practice of scales and arpeggios, even the "simple" stuff like C major, F Major etc, as I feel I heve benifited significantly from the lesson above.

Here is a quote from Jane Austen's rather starchy Mr Darcy,

"The power of doing any thing with quickness is always much prized by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance."

Almost every pianist should have it written somewhere where it faces them as they play!

#2057220 - 03/31/13 06:20 AM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Chopin - Fantaisie Impromptu.

Anything with polyrhythms really.

#2057260 - 03/31/13 08:55 AM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Moonlight, 1st movement

#2057345 - 03/31/13 12:38 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: evilpacman18
My answer (and the inspiration for this thread) is Mouvement by Debussy, my performance tempo for it is around 110 for the quarter note usually, I've been playing it for a while and it's pretty natural to me at this point but I'm sort of relearning it for a performance in a couple weeks and I've noticed that it gets much harder to keep even and loose when I lower the metronome to 80. Suddenly all the little things in it require much more control where you can sort of breeze through them at a faster tempo.

Have you ever recorded the piece you are breezing through and used software to slow it down to your practice tempo? It might not be as clean as you think.

Slowing the metronome down might just be confusing your "muscle memory", not actually making it harder. I don't know of any piano pieces that are harder to play slow.

#2057379 - 03/31/13 01:57 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: Damon]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Damon
[...] Slowing the metronome down might just be confusing your "muscle memory", not actually making it harder. I don't know of any piano pieces that are harder to play slow.

I would agree with the poster who said that any piece in a polyrhythm whose performance tempo is fairly rapid is more difficult to play slowly than fast, depending, of course, on how slow is "slowly."

Barber's third "Excursion" (7 against 8) and even Chopin's "Fantaisie Impromptu" can be considerably more difficult played very slowly than played up to tempo.

Regards,

#2057409 - 03/31/13 03:05 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: BruceD]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: Damon
[...] Slowing the metronome down might just be confusing your "muscle memory", not actually making it harder. I don't know of any piano pieces that are harder to play slow.

I would agree with the poster who said that any piece in a polyrhythm whose performance tempo is fairly rapid is more difficult to play slowly than fast, depending, of course, on how slow is "slowly."

Barber's third "Excursion" (7 against 8) and even Chopin's "Fantaisie Impromptu" can be considerably more difficult played very slowly than played up to tempo.

Regards,

The approach I like to take with difficult poly rhythms and different tuplets against each other is to learn them as good as possible separately, the slow, usual, way. Once those are up to speed separately, I combine them, but not at a slow practicing tempo. Slower than performance speed usually, but I try and just "do it."

#2057445 - 03/31/13 04:17 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: BruceD]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: BruceD

I wish I had that problem then. I've no experience with the Barber, but I find the Chopin to be extremely easy to play slowly. I don't think four against three is that big of a hurdle. Things like the Barber or even something like Liszt's "La leggierezza" might seem easier at faster speeds, but I've found that when I analyze some performances with software, they are not all that accurate. People vary.

#2057451 - 03/31/13 04:31 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
If you can't play something at a slow tempo why would you think you could play it at a faster tempo?

I always practice slowly.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2057520 - 03/31/13 08:08 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Many things. Off the top of my head: the second movement of Pathétique.

#2057551 - 03/31/13 09:27 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
SBP Offline

Dizzy Fingers.

#2057594 - 03/31/13 11:58 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The first part of Chopin's C minor nocturne, op.48 no.1 comes to mind. Played slowly, it feels impossible to shape, since there are so many rests which threaten to break the line.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2057620 - 04/01/13 01:40 AM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York, NY
i don't know, so many pieces are easier slower than fast. almost always, playing slower means you need to apply a proportionate amount of care to each note, phrasing, and better evenness etc, which usually increases the demand on control and care that much more.

#2061035 - 04/07/13 09:57 PM Re: What pieces are easier to play fast than slow? [Re: evilpacman18]
HorseMom Offline

Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Anything from memory!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (36251, AndrewJCW, beeboss, Allard, 21 invisible), 1270 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156299 Topics
2295459 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission