Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2057883 - 04/01/13 04:08 PM Are the Williams brand pianos that good?
zbryanz Offline

I found a Williams Symphony on craigslist in almost new condition with a nice bench for $600. But I also found a Kurzweil Mark 5 for $600. And my main question is what makes the Symphony so good? What are the pros and cons of it and why is it so highly rated on websites? Does it have good sounds and good hammer action? How does it compare to a Yamaha? Sorry for all the questions I got a lot on my mind before I make a final desicion on buying a piano. Thanks

Edited by zbryanz (04/01/13 04:09 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2057897 - 04/01/13 04:28 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
You recently got a good review of the Kurzweil Mark 5 in another thread, though nearly 15 years old is a long time for digitals. I don't think you can find any positive reviews of Williams here on this forum, though you are welcome to search.

For only slightly more money, there are a few new instruments you could look at. They won't have the build quality of that Kurzweil, but they will have better technology (key sensors, polyphony, etc) and more advanced samples.

Something like a Yamaha P105 or Casio PX-150 with stand isn't much more brand new. There are closeouts on Korg SP-250 and the new SP-280 to consider, all under $750. I would definitely explore these choices before you brave craigslist.

Good luck.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2057909 - 04/01/13 05:00 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
DBill Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Tim Praskins gives his reviews on assorted Williams pianos at http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/ . Use the search tool to find Williams. Mostly he rates them as "not recommended".

I think it would be difficult to find an unbiased favorable review for a Williams. There may be some “plants” that seem to be favorable, but these may be supplied by the manufacturer.

My own feeling is that the Williams brand is a pile of “organic fertilizer”.

#2057981 - 04/01/13 06:27 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Williams pianos aren't thought of too highly on this forum. They are Guitar Center's house brand of digital piano. Not sure who makes them. I have never cared for any Williams I've ever played. Recommend you look at something else.

#2058011 - 04/01/13 07:40 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
The Williams I played were not worth owning.

#2058044 - 04/01/13 09:22 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
I played a Williams model in the GC showroom once and while the overall sound and feel were 'OK', the dynamics were really awkward. It also seemed like the keybed was a little low because my knees kept hitting the bottom of the keyboard unit (it was a console). I imagine they're ok for a guitarist who wants a keyboard to plunk on, but I would not buy one for any serious play.

#2058107 - 04/02/13 12:10 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: LesCharles73]
dkong99 Offline

Originally Posted By: LesCharles73
I played a Williams model in the GC showroom once and while the overall sound and feel were 'OK', the dynamics were really awkward. It also seemed like the keybed was a little low because my knees kept hitting the bottom of the keyboard unit (it was a console). I imagine they're ok for a guitarist who wants a keyboard to plunk on, but I would not buy one for any serious play.

As a guitarist for over 40 years I can say they're not okay even to "plunk on".

#2058120 - 04/02/13 12:55 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dkong99
As a guitarist for over 40 years I can say they're not okay even to "plunk on".

It sounds like you're a more serious musician than the target audience I was referring to wink.

Living in a college town, I wrote that post in reference to the young-adult musicians who just want something to play a riff for the rest of the band to hear. In my experience, that is usually a flimsy toy keyboard, so the Williams would probably serve for that.

All said and done though, we both agree that the Williams sucks and even the poor garage band can spend their money more wisely.

Edited by LesCharles73 (04/02/13 02:52 AM)

#2058127 - 04/02/13 02:32 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Extra note:

Also, a former and no longer active PW member, Gyro, was the only one I know of who truly endorsed and believed in the Williams brand. He mentioned being able to play very difficult "concertos" and "jazz" pieces on the $600 Overture console model. grin

The rest of us would probably want to choose a real grand piano if you are going to attempt Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto, for example. Even concert pianists find such pieces tough to play on an acoustic!

So, best of luck to those who choose a Williams.

#2058130 - 04/02/13 02:53 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: pv88]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pv88
He mentioned being able to play very difficult "concertos" and "jazz" pieces on the $600 Overture console model. grin

What's so hard about that? All you're really doing is hitting the correct keys at the right time, right? wink

#2058153 - 04/02/13 05:13 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: LesCharles73]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What's so hard about that? All you're really doing is hitting the correct keys at the right time, right? wink

We classical musicians know that. In fact, even André 'Preview' probably knows that. Here he is, in frustration at someone attempting Grieg's Piano Concerto, by Grieg, playing 'all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'..... wink

http://youtu.be/r7yb-JncKow

#2058157 - 04/02/13 05:27 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: bennevis]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: bennevis

We classical musicians know that. In fact, even André 'Preview' probably knows that. Here he is, in frustration at someone attempting the Grieg Concerto, playing 'all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order'..... wink

http://youtu.be/r7yb-JncKow

Haha, classic! grin

#2058244 - 04/02/13 10:40 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Gyro... mentioned being able to play very difficult "concertos" and "jazz" pieces on the $600 Overture console model..."

Ah, Gyro. Of all the fool things he said, that's the one he will never live down.

He was invited to submit recordings of these "very difficult concertos and jazz pieces" that others might enjoy them and learn at the master's feet. None was ever posted.

It is a dark mark against Guitar Center's name, if that is their house piano. It's not like they didn't have their pick.

#2058406 - 04/02/13 06:04 PM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: zbryanz]
TecFlip Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
An exciting thing to note. Williams is made by whoever is assigned to make that brand. It is usually never the same manufacturer. Learned this little bit from a Guitar Center rep. Just cause the floor model is nice and your friend's is nice, doesnt mean you will be nice to.

#2058501 - 04/03/13 01:02 AM Re: Are the Williams brand pianos that good? [Re: Jeff Clef]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
It is a dark mark against Guitar Center's name, if that is their house piano. It's not like they didn't have their pick.

These house brands have an important role to play in a retailer's business. Private label house brands:

- provide an aggressively low price point / high apparent value option for consumers (most of whom are per definition on a strict budget);

- generate traffic on site and into the store being lured in via a low price alternative;

- give the retailer a " price halo " that makes consumers believe that they can get a better price on other products;

- generate outsized margins and contribution to profits since the brand manufacturer is not collecting a brand premium.

That the quality might be crap is not so important. Most of these pianos are aspirational, compromise purchases and will ultimately never be played anyway.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (accordeur, Atrys, AZNpiano, Anticlock, ascc, 25 invisible), 1321 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295879 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission